[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When (and why) did this "obsession" for hard games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Diffic.jpg (4 KB, 462x40) Image search: [Google]
Diffic.jpg
4 KB, 462x40
When (and why) did this "obsession" for hard games begin? Seriously, it seems that if a game doesn't give enought troubles to the player, then it's a shitty game.
>>
With the downfall of arcades and the PS2 and later eras having games focused on story and how much time you put into them instead of skill, there was an unfilled niche for actually challenging games.
>>
>>342480198
>where does human competition come from?
>>
>>342480198
It's not a obsession. If you're playing a game, why not be challenged by it?
>>
The more difficult something is the more rewarding it is to accomplish said goal.

This is a very basic idea in life in general.
>>
>>342480198
Mostly from the over simplification of games. What is now hard would of been classified as normal/easy in previous games. I can't remember the last time I didn't pick the hardest difficulty from the start anymore, because it is easy.

Also, there's the current trend of making it look hard. The souls games are identified as being difficult, when they really aren't. Then people beat it and it gives them a sense of accomplishment.
>>
Because difficulty is a lot easier to add than engaging story or gameplay.
>>
>>342480475
/thread
>>
>>342481279
If only you were right.
>>
>>342481540
>. The souls games are identified as being difficult, when they really aren't. Then people beat it and it gives them a sense of accomplishment.

this more or less. even games like bioshock or DOOM are easy as shit on max difficulty

stalker, dmc, ninja gaiden, eu4 whatever these are actually difficult games
>>
>>342481540
>would of
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.