[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he right? should we change the name of the monster hunter genre?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 3
File: 2016-06-22-171648.jpg (133 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-22-171648.jpg
133 KB, 960x544
>>
Monster Hunter is an action/RPG
God Eater is an action/RPG that is similar to Monster Hunter

Hunting isn't a genre, it's a theme
>>
>>342397551
>they are role playing games

"No"
>>
First we have to rename metroidvanias to "jumpy stabby walky backies"
>>
>>342397551
>RPG
in what way
>>
>>342397161
How in the world is "Joint cycle" much better?
>>
>>342397768
>>342397920
You accumulate stats as you play (via armor).
>>
...Joint cycle?
Is this fucker serious?
>>
>>342398059
Here we go again.
>>
>>342398138
>again
I didn't know that this was a controversial opinion.
It's just how I see it. If you disagree that's fine.
>>
>>342397768
You control a character therefore you are playing the role of that character within the story.
>>
>>342398059
Role-playing doesn't mean making small numbers bigger. Just stop thinking that.
>>
>>342398280
Remember when Bioshock first came out, and everybody was calling it an RPG because it had a fucking mana bar?

Some of the dumbest shit i've ever heard, man.
>>
>>342398279
This.

For fuck's sake, Monster Hunter is a glorified single player MMO with action RPG gameplay.
>>
>>342397920
The hunter is literal plot driven avatar it's personality is given by the player.
>>
>>342398280
I didn't say anything about watching numbers get bigger, that's absurd. You could apply that to Tetris.
Monster Hunter involves developing your character's various stats (through drops instead of EXP) like other RPGs.
Obviously that's not the whole of it, which is why I said Action/RPG.
>>
>play Bass Hunter 64
>it doesn't play like Monster Hunter
FUCKING GAMESTOP
>>
>>342397161
You go on FaggotFAQs willingly, without blocking any adverts and willingly use the messages boards.

Why?
>>
>>342398280
I wish this was true but it ain't anymore. crpg are extinct, at least the good ones.
>>
>>342398279
Oh. I guess Metal Slug or Sonic are RPGs then.
>>
>>342398280
And how many Video Game RPGs are anything more than "make numbers bigger"? There's only a tiny minority of games that actually focus on role-playing.
You need to realize there's a distinction between traditional RPGs and video RPGs.
I personally wouldn't call MH a straight up RPG either, however. It's ultimately an Action game with light RPG elements.
>>
>>342398279
Every single game ever is an RPG, confirmed.
>>
>>342398059
>changing your equipment and getting new skills is now an rpg mechanic
I think every action game that's ever existed is now an rpg through inclusion.
>>
>>342398960
If the properties of the character increase in a non-linear fashion, and progress in the game isn't solely dependent on the increased skill of the player, then yeah, you can label it as Action/RPG.
>>
File: Marios.gif (15 KB, 500x320) Image search: [Google]
Marios.gif
15 KB, 500x320
>>342398960
Super Mario Bros. was an RPG.
>>
>>342398059
Halo is an rpg
You accumulate stats as you play (via weapons)
>>
>>342398947
Games like Tetris are not an RPG.
>>
>>342399426
You accumulate stats as you play (via blocks)
>>
>>342399304
>temporary power-ups are equivalent to stat changes decided by the player
>>
>>342397551
Yes they are Action role playing games but the sub genre that monster hunter is reffered to is hunting genre and joint struggle in japan. The problem is that other games in the hunting genre don't involve hunting but are still similar in structure to monster hunter. I don't think joint struggle has caught on.

You do no "traditional" hunting in God eater, toukiden, freedom wars, soul sacrifice, lords of apocalypse or ragnarok odesseey, so hunting genre is incorrect.
>>
4chan is an RPG.
You accumulate stats as you post (via (You)'s)
>>
>>342399640
>>342399530
>>342399424
Is this a meme now?
>>
>>342397161
dont take away my h-games
>>
how about "All-out Arena Assault Accumlating Armor Always Action RPG"

or AAAAAAARPG
>>
File: 1452552534551.jpg (14 KB, 324x270) Image search: [Google]
1452552534551.jpg
14 KB, 324x270
>>342398604
>monster hunter involves developing your charecters various stats.

You've obviously never played monster hunter.
>>
genrejerking is so fuckin pathetic holy shit
it's not like genres help much with deciding what games to play, what's the point?
>>
>>342400008
Attack
Defence
Water
Thunder
Fire
Ice
Slime
Dragon
8 stats, and I'm not even including crit chance, divine blessing, etc.
>>
>>342400008
atk power, elemental power, status effect, juggling armor set bonuses, elemental resistance, armor value. That's pretty much it.
>>
>>342398659
Because despite being called faggotfaqs no site has as much faggotry as 4chins
>>
>>342400137
>>342400161
The stats are a fixed part of whatever armor pieces you wear. You don't develop them or make them grow like in an rpg.
>>
>>342400008
But that's literally what you do in MH?
Except instead of being tied to your character themselves, they're tied to equipment.
Progression in MH is heavily influenced by increasing your character's Attack, Defense, elemental offenses, and passive skills. You can even level up your equipment, as well as evolve your weapons into new ones.
>>
>>342400083
They may not help you but they can help other people find games similar to others they like to play. Theres a difference between action rpg and turn based rpg for a reason.
>>
>>342397161
They should be called beat-em-ups, since there aren't any mechanics aside from beating up big monsters.
>>
>>342397161
>listening to the opinions of some random fag who can't bother to capitalize their words and spell "you"
>>
>>342397161
I understand changing the name to differentiate from shit like Cabela's, but "joint cycle" is just awful.
>>
Since when was it called Hunting genre or joint struggle?
Those types of games are called Monster Hunter Likes.
>>
>>342397161
>Am I right? Did I do fine in this forum?
Thats all what I read. Sorry, its Monster Hunter genre and monster hunter clones.

Now fuck off and buy a 3ds sonygger.
>>
>>342401440
yeah, that's cool but if you start trying to give every little variation of the genre it's own little niche genre you're destroying exactly that.
genres should be broad in my opinion
>>
Wasn't MonHun a PSO ripoff in the first place?
>>
Joint cycle is better then refering to everything as "muh monster hunter clone", Then getting mad at these games because you don't actually hunt in them.
>>
In Japan I've seen them being called Monster Hunting games.

Seems fine to me.
>>
"Game-like/clone" is the first stage of genre naming.
Early platformers were once called Mario clones, early FPSs were called Doom clones, and roguelikes seem to have a permanent naming but that's also kind of the original example.

Currently Monhunlikes consist of Gods Eater Burst and some games on Vita meant to placate buttmad Sony fanboys, so until it spreads into a widespread phenomenon we can continue to call it "a game in the style of Monster Hunter".
>>
>>342397161
That's so stupid
Who is that? Neogaf without adblocker?
Fuck
Hunting games in fine.
>Hur I gotta rename genres so I can feel like I contrabooted
>>
>>342398636
kek
>>
>>342403162

It's gamefaqs
>>
Wouldn't it be easier just to call them Hunter Games?
>>
>>342402774
well the roguelike genre never was large enough to warrant moving away from that name
and honestly I'm thankful for it, because its named roguelike and not something more abstract all the current roguelite's had to adopt a new name instead of just ruining the genre for all the fans because membership to the genre was fairly simple
1 is the game anything like Rogue
if not its not a bloody roguelike
>>
>>342402774
It stops being named game-like/clone until several quality titles give the original a run for his money. Something thats clearly not happening with monster hunter. Until there are several good alternatives, it will be Monster Hunter genre.

Doesnt help that the name of the game describes exactly what the game is about kek. Its like if the most famous fps game was called Shooter. You will have a hard time trying to change it.

There are no good alternatives to monster hunter. Just not so bad ones.
>>
>>342403719
>well the roguelike genre never was large enough to warrant moving away from that name
I'd consider it larger than the Hunter genre, even if that's only because it's a twenty year old genre that any autist with coding skills can out together.

Monster Hunter is niche as shit. It doesn't deserve its own genre name yet, and the only reason it holds the term "hunting genre" is because most actual hunting games are either fishing games or light gun games.

People who like real hunting just go hunting.
>>
>>342404108
only in theory, in practice making a good roguelike requires a lot of skill as making an algorithm capable of consistently generating fair, fun and challenging procedurally generated levels may very well be one of the most difficult things to do within gaming
also one of the few genres where you can't cheat your way to success with graphics, music or story
>>
>>342403928
Soul Sacrifice Delta is better than any MonHun besides 4U desu
>>
>>342397161
Japan calls it hunting action. It's on the goddamn covers of all the games. End of story.
>>
>>342404691
That may be true but it is also on the Vita.

That's like saying there was an FPS that blew Doom out of the water on the Atari Jaguar.
>>
>>342398604
It's best to say it has rpg elements, but it's not an RPG.
>>
>>342404691
No its not. It doesnt have enough enemy variety. Most enemies can be killed using the same tactics. Patterns.

I guess its fine for a first generation and has room to improve. But other than the nice lore, ost and art design mechanically and gameplay wise is shit. I guess you sony friends value more plot and emotions than gameplay.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.