[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why hasn't there been any good vietnam games that capture
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: [this is the end intensifies].jpg (45 KB, 616x311) Image search: [Google]
[this is the end intensifies].jpg
45 KB, 616x311
why hasn't there been any good vietnam games that capture the tense feeling of some of the vietnam movies like platoon or apocalypse now ?
>>
>>342228434
there are some but you're to underage to know.
>>
>>342228434
Because everyone expects those games to be first-person shooters, but tension requires the absence of action and a FPS with no action is just an antithesis.
Have you ever looked into top-down squad-strategy games? I don't play those but I seem to recal there being good Viet themed games there, and those types of games tend to be brutally hard which creates that tension.

Also because those movies were being really exaggerated for the effect of being fucked up.
>>
>>342228928

plenty of first person games have tension

look at the system shocks games and even bioshock to some extent
>>
>>342228434
actually reminds me.
there was a Vietnam phase about 10 years ago.
does anyone remember a Vietnam game that was a TPS 4 man squad going into the jungle and you could swap squad members on the fly and position them in engagements.
was actually a really good game.
think it was on the PS2
>>
RO2 Vietnam expansion soon friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo8cYRTriBA
>>
MGS5 TPP
>>
>>342228434
because good vr tech didn't exist until less than a year ago
>>
>>342230110
Good VR tech still doesn't exist.
Call me when stationary treadmills are affordable and 2160p90hz is standard.
>>
>inb4 it aint me
>>
>>342228434
I want games that turn the good guy into the bad guy.
>>
>>342229209
>Shitwire

enjoy your early access for $30 followed by a year of sporadic, half-assed patches that miss every deadline
>>
>>342228434
Platoon and Apocalypse now rely on long periods of nothing happening to deliver tension (and an authentic military patrol experience). This works incredibly well for non-interactive mediums but it games it comes across as boring and contrived.

I would really, really, love a small proc-gen game about clearing VC tunnel networks, though. Especially with Receiver's gunplay.
>>
>>342230485
If it's anything like Rising Storm I will.
>>
>>342230485
Tripwire are the publisher for this
>>
MSG3: Snake Eater
>>
>>342231140
>>342230927
All I'm saying is do not trust Tripwire. RO2 was an unplayable mess at launch and KF2 is one of the worst approaches to Early Access from a high-profile studio ever.

If they release a finished, working game, by all means buy it. If not, do the world a favor and let them choke on it.
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 357x512) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 357x512
I had fun with this
>>
>>342228434
MGSV makes for a fantastic Rambo game
>>
>>342231437
I had a lot of fun with it as well, I liked the first one more though.
>>
Vietcong was nice
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.