[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you improve this franchise? Don't tell me to return
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 12
File: Metroid-Prime-2-box-art.jpg (81 KB, 550x305) Image search: [Google]
Metroid-Prime-2-box-art.jpg
81 KB, 550x305
How would you improve this franchise? Don't tell me to return it to side-scrolling 2D game. That's not improving. In my opinion, they need to not bring the Chozos in every game. We get it, just move on. Show us how Samus will do her adventures without the Federation Force. Also don't bring the Space Pirates and Ridley, they were done in Metroid Prime 3.

The gameplay would be the same as Other M but improved, or like Dead Space.
But what about the story?
>>
Take Arkham Asylum and give it a Metroid reskin.
>>
If anything this is a series that needs to stay right where the fuck it is and not innovate or change whatsoever.

Because changing is what has killed it.
>>
>>342220814
Considering the consistency of releases, its not as though players are bored enough of the old format for any change to really be necessary. The last few games with "changes" have hurt the series as we all know.
>>
>>342220814
>Don't tell me to return it to side-scrolling 2D game. That's not improving.
But it is.
I could see the Prime series doing some more maniac shit and revolutionizing FPSes, but they haven't done anything in three games beyond writing a SHIT TON of lore and logbooks. That series is dead until they find some cool new innovation.
2D exploration with lots of movement options has been done, but it hasn't been done enough. I'm seriously fucking hurting for another metroid/castlevania type game where you explore a gigantic world with varied environments and find secrets, then use newfound abilities to unlock further areas.
Other M failed to translate the 2D gameplay into 3D even more than Prime did. Other M resulted in a boring auto-aiming auto-dodging mashfest where you had to switch between third and first person views in the most awful way imaginable. I'm sorry, but I don't want more of that garbage, not even something DERIVED from it. That perspective should be saved for some hack-n-slash game.
Metroid would seriously be better off with 2D gameplay.
>>
>>342221141
But Metroid Prime games sold better than the 2D ones.
>>
File: PVwweN9.jpg (862 KB, 2696x4044) Image search: [Google]
PVwweN9.jpg
862 KB, 2696x4044
Hmm well I'd definitely make it open world, maybe add some customizable character choices, the ability to talk to all the other races, some rpg leveling systems.
Perhaps let you get some sort of companions to help you on your journey oh and some crazy boss fights that can happen all the time dynamically.
Yeah if a game like that existed then I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
>>
>>342222096
>Companions
Metroid games are all about isolation. That wouldn't work. Unless it's a story thing that wouldn't affect the gameplay like in Prime 3.
>>
>>342222096
That sort of sounds like Skyrim, aren't they remaking that?
>>
>>342220814
So basically Metroid Prime 2 again.
>>
>>342220814

>The gameplay would be the same as Other M but improved, or like Dead Space.
How do you improve upon something fundamentally broken? And bound to a controller scheme no longer in use.
>>
>>342222550
That's why I said " but improved"
>>
>>342222732

You haven't explained how it can be improved.
>>
>>342221142
The sequence breaking is the only thing that ever made these games have "exploration" and replayability otherwise you're going through the fucking story/motions ala Metroid Fusion/Other M. So Super Metroid and Prime 1 are obviously the better of the entire series. Even without sequence breaks these two have more options available but become a-whole-nother thing when you start sequence breaking.
>>
>>342222852
It stays a third-person shooter, fast movements that requires fast reflexes from the player, finishing enemy moves remains, great and harder boss fights that makes you want to play he game again to fight them more.

Sort of these things. I enjoyed Other M's mechanics and gameplay, but it feels like it misses something.
>>
>>342222053
Also:

>The market was larger by the time Prime came out.
>Prime had the advantage of being one of the most impressive looking games coming out at that time which fueled its success.
>And the dissapointment from most that Metroid Fusion, despite being made by the Super Metroid team, was more linear and focused than any Metroid before it bringing the (retarded) logic that 2D just wasn't working for Metroid anymore.
>>
>>342223124
Nintendo needs to do the same thing they're doing with Zelda and realize not going the "correct" path is okay.
Going by fusion, they definitely are aware of all the sequence breaks and in the case of the the secret message are fully capable of engineering balls hard sequence breaks that only good players with pull off.
They need to make a metroid game that encourages doing things in many different orders with various difficulties depending on how gud you are.
>>
>>342220814
Survival horror in space
3rd person RE4 camera
Shinji Mikami directing
>>
>>342223427
Basically this. I mean, that's my biggest hope for the success on New Zelda. It will decide the fate of other tarnished Nintendo series'.
>>
>>342220814
Guys
Hold up
Guys
What if
Guys, shut the hell up, I'm talking here
But Guys
What if
Samus is a bounty hunter, right?
What if we made this game
Guys
What if we made this fuckhuge, open world game
With engaging space travel
Guys, calm down, I'm not finished yet
Engaging space travel and combat
About
This is the kicker, right here
About interstellar, freelance bounty hunting
>>
>>342223158

You're unable to identify what made Other M's gameplay bad in the first place. Let me help you.
>No concentration.
>No sensemove.
>No finishing moves.
>Use an analog stick, not a dpad.
>First person mode is either dropped, or you are able to move in first person mode. You can fire missiles and grapple in third person mode.
>Better physics e.g. you keep your momentum after shooting in midair. Emphasise depth of movement with tricky maneuvers similar to Super Metroid that allow skilled players to sequence break.
>>
>>342220814
I actually liked the Prime series.
>>
>>342223426
>>And the dissapointment from most that Metroid Fusion, despite being made by the Super Metroid team, was more linear and focused than any Metroid before it

Seriously? I haven't seen anyone complain about Fusion, in fact, many people liked it. I enjoyed that game.
>>
>>342223768
Its good. But its not a good metroid game.
>>
>>342223670
>About interstellar, freelance bounty hunting
that would be a perfect lobo game
>>
>>342223713
I might replay it again. I have a foggy memory when I think about its gameplay. All I remember is it wasn't that bad and I enjoyed it. But I remember the use of dpads was awful.
>>
>>342223670
Holy shit, this right the fucking fuck here. Doesn't even need an overarching storyline, just world building (through experience, fuck a logbook) and good gameplay. Honestly I feel like this is what Metroid was always meant to be
>>
>>342222053
Meant more Other M & Federation Force. You can tell how little Metroid games we've gotten overall for this kind of misunderstanding.
>>
>>342220814
Go back to Prime games but actually put content into it unlike Prime 3. Go back to being alone, no english voiceovers. No more Zero suit. Samus just gets naked at the end.
>>
>>342225567
>Samus just gets naked at the end
Seconding this; Nintendo shills, take note of this and inform your masters
>>
>>342225567
>but actually put content into it unlike Prime 3
I don't remember a lack of content in 3.
>>
>>342228304
Power bombs gone. Super missles gone. All those expansions for them gone. Maps were small only one beam weapon, etc
>>
give it to retro and don't let the japs touch it
>>
>>342228547
Maps were smaller because they were more planets.

I prefer that approach.

it makes more sense to have the planetary themes instead of an ice and lava world right next to each other.

Also weren't there phazon super missiles and the lazer phazon bomb thing? There was not less shit in prime 3. Just different shit.
>>
Metroid Alpha

It's just Prey 2 but in the Metroid universe.
>>
File: link rupees.jpg (42 KB, 501x316) Image search: [Google]
link rupees.jpg
42 KB, 501x316
>>342228890
>>
>>342220814
A new threat would probably just end up being shit like whatever the fuck Halo 4 and 5 were about.
>>
>>342220814
>Also don't bring the Space Pirates and Ridley, they were done in Metroid Prime 3.
Super takes place after the Prime series and SP and Ridley were fine
>>
File: Kensuke_Tanabe.jpg (14 KB, 250x150) Image search: [Google]
Kensuke_Tanabe.jpg
14 KB, 250x150
>>342220814
>In my opinion, they need to not bring the Chozos in every game.
>Also don't bring the Space Pirates and Ridley.
that's funny

Tanabe said in future Prime games, Samus' rivalry with Ridley and the Chozo will be low priority.

you got part of your wish OP

also Amiibo trailer for Blast Ball:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRmtA7tUG14
https://img.fireden.net/v/image/1466/47/1466471794893.jpg
>>
>>342228691

Not that guy, but Prime 3's items disappointed me. It was all upgrades instead of new things. Grapple, grapple swing, grapple drain, stronger beam, strongest beam, like five upgrades that are just the power to use your normal abilities while in hypermode . . . It was a letdown. I want new things to play with. Prime had a unique missile combo for four different beams. Echoes let me shoot black holes. Corruption let me use the missiles I already had when using god mode.

I still loved the game, but it could'be been much better. Let me do some Dark Samus shit. Let me drain phazon barrels for health. Let me mind control lesser enemies. There are plenty of possibilities.
>>
>>342222053
reminder that Zero Mission didn't break a million
>>
>>342220979
t. Mark Pacini
>>
>>342230273
Well it is worse than Fusion.
>>
>>342230135

My initial reaction was anger. But really, we don't need to know much more about the Chozo. Might be better to keep them shrouded in mystery.
>>
>>342221042
>Because changing is what has killed it.
if you're talking about how Metroid only needs one singular gameplay style, other than just not shitting up the Prime/Traditional-style, Nintendo EPD might as well just leave the series alone.

releasing Prime 1 and Fusion in the same year not only helped Fusion's sales but gave Nintendo back a good amount of dosh to consider it as a major IP like nu-FE today.
>>
bumping this thread

avoiding that shitty metroid feddie force thread which is up
>>
>2.82m
>1.33m
>1.81m
>0.63m

So is it Nintendo's fault for not requesting a new game instead of the trilogy.
Or is it our fault for not buying more of the trilogy?
>>
>>342223813
yes it is, the minority of autists whine that you can't sequence break it because this one was actually playtested
>>
>>342220814
Depends. I'd play a new prime game. That first playthrough exploring was perfect.
>>
>>342220814
return it to side-scrolling 2D game
>>
File: King BaBaBait.png (167 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
King BaBaBait.png
167 KB, 400x300
>>342231189
>citing VGchartz
MPT was a Gamestop-exclusive which Nintendo already knew the exclusivity would hurt its sales

which why they re-release it on Wii VC
>>
>>342231440
What's a better source for sales then?
>>
>>342231394
should've bought Metroid Zero Mission first, senpai
>>
Literally just make Super Metroid over and over again.
>>
>>342231584
see >>342231553
>>
Make it a third-person game, focus on capturing the same fluidity of movement as Super Metroid in 3D, bring back beam stacking and mixing and matching your equipment.
>>
>>342231504
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963700

stupid site aside. unlike VGchartz, they don't record made up/guessed data other than what Nintendo officially puts out.

Other M sales data has never been reported after Reggie announced Other M is having problems to sell a million for them to consider it a success.

there's also the vgsales wikia you can go to but they also cite all the data the NeoGAF thread collected too:
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Video_Game_Sales_Wiki
>>
File: mario senior.jpg (72 KB, 960x440) Image search: [Google]
mario senior.jpg
72 KB, 960x440
>>342232069
Miyamoto said something about Metroid Blast being a gameplay concept of his third-person Metroid project he wants to do in the future.
>>
>>342232336
>shiggy side projects
pls no, they're all awful.
>>
>>342231948
>>342231504
as a matter of fact, just go here if you want to view Metroid sales, it's much easier:
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Metroid
>>
>>342232336
Shiggy's gone completely senile and most of the best games attributed to him were good due to other people (Ocarina of Time due to Koizumi, SMB series due to Tezuka, etc.). He has some good conceptual ideas but no idea how to actually design a good game around them.
>>
>>342222096
Sure thing Todd, sounds great! I'll be sure to buy the new zelda right away! thanks for convincing me!
>>
File: Sakamoto on Prime.png (51 KB, 587x227) Image search: [Google]
Sakamoto on Prime.png
51 KB, 587x227
>>342232478
>>342232646
i find it funny Metroid is the only game he hasn't truly ruined yet. you're still right on his games being successful due to other developers.

Retro (being full og ex-Turok/Half-Life devs) wanted to do Metroid Prime as a third-person adventure game, he came in and convinced them to doing it in first-person and keeping the morph ball as the only third-person element in Metroid Prime 1. (Screw Attack become another 3rd-person element in later game.)

after that, they've made a game that shat out more gold than Metroid 1 produced with Sakamoto thanking him and Retro for lifting his series up with a new style to establish.

i wouldn't be surprised if his 3rd-person Metroid project ends up doing the same. Metroid Blast was fun to play, and unlike Star Fox Zero, the gyro controls were actually fitted well for the game. (outside camera)
>>
>>342220814
>How would you improve this franchise?
Like if I had to put forward a unique take?

Samus + Prey 2 BLUR trailer + Dredd.
>>
>>342232648
>implying Todd likes BotW other than being angry about the climbing mountains
>>
File: 1466037945549.jpg (22 KB, 435x260) Image search: [Google]
1466037945549.jpg
22 KB, 435x260
mesh it with a fall out feel more destinations , 1st person bring back the hidden items/ path idea , whole planets lots of explore lots of ugliness .
>>
>>342234136
And to elaborate. Instead of taking place in an isolated world or a space station, have it in a huge fucking city. Have Samus be hunting bounties. Have weird aliens and go nuts as far as adding character to the franchise.

Maybe lock the power suit to being a NG+ option and have a light assault take on Samus. No Zero Suit, though. Fuck the Zero Suit.
>>
File: Zero.Suit.Samus.full.1852448.jpg (571 KB, 848x1200) Image search: [Google]
Zero.Suit.Samus.full.1852448.jpg
571 KB, 848x1200
>>342234643
>Fuck the Zero Suit
That's what we're trying to do, freindo
>>
File: smashniggers btfo.png (292 KB, 1282x449) Image search: [Google]
smashniggers btfo.png
292 KB, 1282x449
>>342234643
>No Zero Suit, though. Fuck the Zero Suit.
i agree

>>342235228
autistic smashfags aren't Nintendo employees
>>
>>342235315
But anon, the Nintendo employees ARE the autistic smashfags

If they weren't, we'd have been spared 4 mediocre-to-outright-shitty party gayms
>>
File: 1432356467999.jpg (106 KB, 656x900) Image search: [Google]
1432356467999.jpg
106 KB, 656x900
>>342234643
Sounds less like "improve" and more like "completely different game that discards literally everything about the franchise but window dressing." Doesn't make it a bad idea, in a vacuum, but makes it rather pointless as any sort of Metroid game.

No matter what genre or mechanics, Metroid should keep to certain core goals to reach with those mechanics and gameplay. People will probably debate exactly what those should be, but I'd imagine none would stray too far from:
>simple narrative, primarily told environmentally or the Prime log style
>mostly lonely, isolated feeling
>exploration
>diverse environments, combining industrial and natural atmospheres
>a fusion of enemy combat and environmental interaction
To name just a few.

The reason Prime worked, despite being a completely different perspective and majorly changing up the gameplay, was because it was still trying to achieve familiar styles and goals. This, I think, defines a franchise much more than any list of mechanics or gameplay styles that have to be met or else it isn't "franchise enough." No matter how much things change, there's a common end for the player that the game should be using as its point of reference. Otherwise, you might as well just make a new IP.

The idea, I suppose, could end up working out well for Metroid in terms of using the city as an isolating environment and avoid having a dense population you're running into all the time. Hunting bounties could keep the story simple too. I really disagree with the lack of Power Suit, though. The other aspect of a franchise is, when you have a powerful visual icon, you stick with that as a base. Different kinds of segments are fine in Metroid, but a whole game without the suit? What's the point?
>>
>>342235782
>But anon, the Nintendo employees ARE the autistic smashfags
prove it

>If they weren't, we'd have been spared 4 mediocre-to-outright-shitty party gayms
t. FGCuck
>>
>>342235876
They didn't make Brawl 2 for your health, lad

Surely you realize this
>>
>>342235812
>Different kinds of segments are fine in Metroid, but a whole game without the suit? What's the point?

Betrayal of expectations. The entire Metroid franchise is based around starting with everything, losing everything, and then regaining everything.

Samus never improvises. She's just lucky enough to run into parts or features of her old suit scattered around for whatever reason.

Metroid doesn't need to be the power suit or the morph ball. Done right, you could come up with something fresh and fun without clinging close to the tree.
>>
>>342236028
course not. unless you want Brawl 2, just play a brawl mod
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.