[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has settled, what did /v/ think about Wind Waker?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4
File: 01.jpg (246 KB, 691x1190) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
246 KB, 691x1190
Now that the dust has settled, what did /v/ think about Wind Waker?
>>
>>342091776
settled? who are you kidding, just posting this creates a shit storm.
>>
My favourite aesthetic/setting/engine in the Zelda series.
It just needed more content.
>>
>>342091776
Solid 7/10, I enjoyed it very much despite it's length.
>>
great game but TP was better
>>
>>342091776
Personally, it's my least favourite 3D Zelda - not because it's /bad/ or anything; I just find it really boring
>>
>>342091776
Thoroughly enjoyed the comfy sailing. Especially the long trip going back and forth from outset to windfall island when ganondorf brings out the curses (GC version).
>>
Art style and atmosphere are amazing. Dungeons arent too hard but satisfying. Combat is the best in the series. Lacks content and has too much filler which takes it down a bit.

also don't play the Wii U version
>>
>>342091776
Okay not great
>>
>>342091776
It's really great and certainly one of the series's best, at least for me. It's not perfect, but I'm willing to overlook most of its flaws for what the game does right.
>>
>>342091776
>best Link
>best Zelda
>best combat feel
>most ambitious and risky
>made from artistic vision instead of pandering like Twilight Princess

One of the best 3D Zeldas
>>
>>342091776
its a rushed, unfinished mess they rushed out the door with half the originally planned content removed with a bunch of pointless filler to make up for it and even so it's STILL the 2nd best out of all the zelda games
if they had actually finished the game before shipping it would have been an absolute undeniable classic to stand hallowed in the halls of time
>>
Best 3D zelda, third best zelda overall
>>
>>342091776
Good game
Perfect ending
>>
Worst several hours in any Zelda ever (yeah, even more than TP), bad dungeons (seriously, they're all bad), exploring the ocean is fun even if the island layout is super arbitrary, deku leaf is godly, and breaking the barrier into Hyrule Field was the most disappointing shit ever when I was a kid.

It probably sounds like I dislike the game more than I actually do, but some of the problems I have with this game stick out a lot. Also, I don't understand why this game has such a zero-effort credits sequence seeing as how it's a 3D Zelda.
>>
>>342091776
Artistic, well-written, relaxing. I love it.
>>
>>342091776
padded to hell and back

shitters on /v/ give it a pass because it was the first zelda they played, but in a 1-to-1 comparison, there is more bad content than good content overall
>>
>shitty art style
>shitty story
>shitty characters
>shitty gameplay
>>
File: 1420192414059.png (237 KB, 512x480) Image search: [Google]
1420192414059.png
237 KB, 512x480
>>342091776
Worst mainline Zelda
Worst aesthetics
Pathetic dungeons
Terrible boss fights
Continues to plague the franchise in the form of Toon Link, whose presence on the box is a sure indicator of a mediocre to bad game
Easiest way to identify gen Y children is if they like Wind Waker, as invariably people who like it grew up with it as one of their first games
>>
Worst opening hours in a Zelda game. Like holy fuck, its almost like they were trying to turn you off from the game:
>Opens with a fetchquest
>Have sword for maybe two minutes before small fetchquest
>Then small section highlighting the godawful platformy elements of the game
>Stealth dungeon highlighting how pisseasy stealth is, how slow enemies move when trying to sneak past them, and how fucking slow the game can be
>Fetchquest to find a sail
>First dungeon's mostly fun, except the boss. He's not neccessarily bad but the puzzle to him is so easy it feels unrewarding. Like it legit feels like you're cheesing the boss. I thought I was just stalling while trying to figure out how to beat him until he dropped the heartcontainer.

Visuals are amazing but the opening is just so bad.
>>
>>342091776
NOW that the dust has settled? Dude i was 10 when the game came out
>>
>>342094636
>tfw i rented this from blockbuster and hated it
Maybe I should give it another chance.
>>
>>342094784
It might be worth it. I'm replaying it for my first time in a while, furthest I've gotten so far in it. But the opening hours really are just awful, speed through it. Hell use a guide if you want because it is just bad. Then drop the guide when you hit the dragonroost dungeon. That was the first part that actually felt fun for me.
>>
I'm currently working my way through all the Zelda games for the first time. Already beaten most of them (waiting for my motion plus to arrive in the post so I can play SS).

I beat Wind Waker two weeks ago and finished Phantom Hourglass just now. I actually way preferred PH, it felt way less tedious to play and had a load of cool stuff to find like the different ship parts. Wind Waker was insanely boring IMO, I didn't enjoy any of the dungeons and the sailing felt like a 5-10 minute load screen most of the time. At least in PH you could set it on a route and just let it get on with it, and you got the warp way earlier. I don't understand why PH gets so much hate outside the forced touch controls, or why WW is hailed as one of the best in the series (MM is still the best so far)
>>
Best Zelda that follows the traditional Alttp model.

Though Majora is best overall.
>>
>>342094935
>Already beaten most of them (waiting for my motion plus to arrive in the post so I can play SS)
Dude if you found WW boring, have fun with SS. Literally the only good parts of that game are 1 or 2 of the later dungeons, some boss fights, and the atmosphere. Everything else is horrible.

night ime Skyloft is comfy as fuck the first couple times, though
>>
>>342094719
dust has finally settled.

what did you think? ._.
>>
>>342095443
As long as it gives me stuff to do. TP was dragged out but the dungeons saved it, I loved them. A large amount of time in WW was feeding fish and sailing between islands for conversations/fetchquests. Fetchquests aren't too bad in general, but the fucking 10 minute manual loadscreen was awful. It was novel your first time, then it sucked.
>>
>>342091776
It was the best one and even the gamecube version somehow managed to look better than the one coming out
>>
>>342094935
yeah people just like to shit on PH for no reason

it had some very cool mechanics (flying hammer that can hits stuff regardless where you are) and imaginative boss fights, like the boss that was so big it didn't fit on one bottom along and his weak spot was actually on top screen so you had to figure out how move the angle so that it appears on bottom screen so you can actually hit it
>>
>>342091776
>oh fuck, I've boat and can sail all around map
>nope, we cant go this way yet, go there
>b-but
>NO
Game wasn't long, but long enough for sailing to become chore and make me teleport to nearest island on every possible occasion.
Triforce hunt wasn't too bad, but I completely forgot about what one fish said and spend hour or two trying to catch ghost ship just to swim trhough it few times.
I wish there were more islands or they had more to offer. Treasure hunting was nice, but got quickly repetive. Maybe more encounters on sea?
Last fight was pretty cinematic and made me pumped up, but when I'm thinking about it from perspective of time, it was really simple.
Overall good game.
>>
Best Zelda, though to be fair I played the HD version, and I imagine if I didn't have the Swift Sail I'd like it a whole lot less.
>>
>>342091776
meh. too easy. waaaaaaaaaaay better than Mario SHitshine tho.
>>
>>342095889
Phantom Hourglass is pretty enjoyable. Better than Spiritracks imo (boating was more fun than trains, and that blowing mechanic was just godawful).
>>
>>342094935
>Phantom Hourglass
I don't remember much about it, but I do remember that you could literally beat the last boss in under 10 seconds.
>>
I love the game. It gets too much hate lately.
>>
>>342091843
That's the bait.
>>
>>342091776
It's my favourite video game.
>>
File: 1465242324586.png (209 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1465242324586.png
209 KB, 1000x1000
>>342091776
I'm actually about to start 100%ing. Is there a way to see which islands have been completely cleaned out?
>>
>>342091776
the dust has been settled for like ten fucking years dude
>>
skyrim is better
>>
>>342098092
Huh? What year did it come out again?
>>
Worst 3D Zelda. Overworld is annoying to navigate. All the items in the game are boring. Dungeons are lacking in terms of puzzles and layout. Gameplay hadn't changed much from the N64, but the parry system trivialized most encounters. Plot was weak, as were interactions with NPCs, and none of the dungeons had a story behind them like OoT/MM. Sidequests were extremely tedious. Only thing I like is the graphics, but even then the sea was too static, and I didn't like any of the character designs.
>>
>>342091776
more like wind wanker lmao
>>
>>342098554
It's a gamecube game, so can't be later than 2006.
I remember them showing early screens in GamePro in 1999/2000, so I'd guess 2001?
>>
>>342092094
Why don't play Wii U version? I almost bougt a WiiU for this and mario kart...
>>
>>342099549
There's nothing wrong with it, in fact it removes a lot of the tedium, but they changed the art style a lot.
>>
>>342094636
All Zelda games are glorified fetch quests. And you're also wrong about the worst opening hours. That belongs to Skyward Sword.
>>
It's great but it takes a bit too long to open up.
>>
>>342100716
you're not wrong. but then so are most adventure games. unless they're boring aimless choose your own adventure types. which the new one seems to be going in.
>>
>>342100807
Darksiders 2 took it to a new extreme. Holy fuck, if it didn't have that combat I would not have kept playing it.
>>
>>342091776
empty overworld
short dungeons
shit early game
awful artstyle
>>
>>342091776
>Now that the dust has settled

what's this epic new memephrase you keep posting
>>
>>342091776
Really good, but also really easy.
>>
Best game grumps playthrough
>>
>>342091776
I would say, it's a perfect 5/7
>>
>>342095503
DUST WILL NEVER BE SETTLE! We are in /v/
>>
>Unfinished game
>90% worthless islands
>Repeat bosses
>5 Dungeons
>80% of game is traveling same barren ocean
>Ganondorf but no Ganon
>>
Complete casual garbage
>>
>>342091843
woosh
>>
>>342091891
This, I really liked the art style.

Interestingly, I liked the bloom on the U version even more, made me feel all islandy-funny inside
>>
>>342091776
My personal favorite 3D zelda, but I can see why others might not like it as much. I absolutely loved the exploration and sailing, and the artsyle was and is fantastic. It also just had a lot of charm and character, oozing out of every inch.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.