[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm working on a game I plan to put on kickstarter. What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7
File: index.png (6 KB, 230x220) Image search: [Google]
index.png
6 KB, 230x220
I'm working on a game I plan to put on kickstarter. What do you guys like to see as rewards for pledging? Do you like more physical stuff like shirts and posters, or in-game stuff like items or something? Or maybe something completely different?
>>
Fuck off.
>>
The reward for pledging should be a good game. So make sure you have that first.
>>
make a game where whoever can pledge the highest wins

they win bragging rights
>>
>>342086056

Any option that allows me to add my furry OC into your game would get my money.
>>
You killing yourself
>>
>>342086056
Knick-knacks are cool
I'd love if I could get some kind of real-world physical object from the game
>>
Op here. Yeah I figured this would happen, but I thought I'd at least try before asking god damn reddit...
>>
>>342086056

dev nudes (only if cute)
canon r34 (only if cute)
good content

so nothing in your case
>>
>>342086056
the option to kill you are self
>>
File: 1409601999257.jpg (31 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
1409601999257.jpg
31 KB, 400x240
>>342086285
this a thousand times. everything else is irrelevant
>>
>>342086782
Shirts are cool but everyone does shirts
I backed Yooka-Laylee and I wish I could get a pagie or something.

>>342086789
Should have made the thread during the day, austrailia is awake at this hour.
>>
>>342086782

Like what? I always thought shirts or something was kinda lame cause I never wear/use it. Maybe that's just me?
>>
>>342086997
Well, first of all, what kind of game is it?
If it's a platformer or some kind of game with collectables, maybe give the backers one of those.
Posters of concept art is cool, too.
>>
>>342086056
>rewards for pledging?
How a bout releasing the fucking game and not just doing it to 50% and run away with the money
>>
File: 1346263866402.gif (2 MB, 300x240) Image search: [Google]
1346263866402.gif
2 MB, 300x240
>>342086056
Do physical stuff. Keep the shirt graphics subtle and not billboard-y, so that other people can take an interest in it. Stuff that would potentially have strangers approach the wearer and go "That's a cool symbol / thing, what does it mean" etc.

Do not do exclusive content for backers. This makes you and your product look bad to people who aren't backers and you don't want that.

If your game has thought and love and time and bugtesting put into it and you're genuine to the people you expect to pay money for your product, you'll succeed. If you're just in it for the money, you're going to fail one way or another because your game won't have a soul.
>>
>>342087176
It's side scroller CastleVania type game with some Harvest Moon and Terraria mixed in.
>>
>>342086056
Nobody cares about rewards, make the damn game within one year of showing it off on kickstarter and make a good one.
>>
Don't do shirts or shit like that. You're going to end up having to pay a fortune to print all that stuff.
>>
>>342087471
Then yeah. Maybe a health/currency pickup or something. Whatever is the easiest/cheapest to manufacture. You could make them with plastic molds , if your budget permitted it. Or maybe you could make plushies of them.
>>
>>342086056
A good game.
>>
Assuming you're not just trolling for (You)s I can offer some personal opinions.

First thing. Have a solid plan. If you don't have a plan you don't deserve any money no matter how good the rest of your idea is. I don't care if you're offering solid gold autographed laserdisc reward tiers. I want to see a plan and a budget first.

As for the actual rewards I prefer physical junk over in game stuff. Postcards, posters, shirts, artbooks, soundtracks. Not that those last two can't be delivered digitally but I prefer my rewards not to affect the game. However if you go with all physical rewards then those add to your costs. Consider taking that in mind when setting your goals.

If you DO have some in game rewards make it invisible to non backers that don't have access. Nobody likes to see a 'backers only' door. More than half the time they won't even have known about the kickstarter and its just a slap in the face to the player who paid money for your game.

If you're going to include backer roll call in the game, and I suggest you don't. If you insist though make sure to put it in as a completely optional thing. No achievements, no bonuses tied to it. If you walk right by it there shouldn't be any effect on the game. Those kinds of things are dull and boring the first time and insufferable on any replays.
>>
>>342086056
I would like a game with actual gameplay that requires me having some skills.
>>
If you're doing a smaller budget kickstarter just don't do any rewards at all, besides ofcourse a code for the game. People want your game if they back it, not some shirt or something.
>>
Give me a PLAYABLE FUCKING DEMO
>>
>>342087767

Thanks. Yeah I'm seeing a lot of support for physical stuff, which is surprising. That might be kinda hard depending on much money I get. It's a small indie game so I was thinking of having a funding goal like around 3-5k. I haven't looked into the cost of printing a bunch of shirts or posters, but I can't imagine it would be cheap.
>>
As a consumer, I am not interested in cheap junk, like shirts or figurines of characters I do not know.
Digital stuff - same story: I do not care enough about any character or object, so I'm not interested in any art or even OST.
Getting inside the game somehow, have an NPC named after me? That's better, however, you have to make sure it won't end up like in Pillars of Eternity: NPCs or items must have noticeable impact on the game.
But maybe that's just me. You should ask some business people about that.
>>
>>342088050
A playable demo is something I could definitely do.
>>
>>342086056
>Do you like more physical stuff like shirts and posters
you might not have enough money for things like these. or do you have them prepared already?
>>
>>342088358
>Wanting the game to be full of shitty OCs and have Menelag and Phenrig be proceeded by J3FF and BriannaW.
A credits full of 3000 backer names is such a shit show. Fuck that.
>>
>>342088358
That's cool idea, but if I had to make every backer play some kind of part in the story that would be pretty much impossible.
>>
>>342088674
Not prepared
>>
>>342088873
Just end me senpai
>>
>>342088795
Every? Regular backers get just the game, special rewards should be limited and rich people only.
>>
>>342086056
I've never given any money to someone through kickstarter and never will.

Show me a good game and I will show you my wallet. I don't give a fuck about a shirt.
>>
>>342089220
Ok that makes sense now.
>>
What does the game look like?
>>
>>342089305
I get that, and I plan on making it good, but the more money I get the less hours I could afford to work at my day-job, which means you'd get the game faster...
>>
Grow a spine and take a loan. Don't sell a product you probably can't deliver
>>
File: Screen_31.png (95 KB, 1264x711) Image search: [Google]
Screen_31.png
95 KB, 1264x711
>>342089559
>>
>>342088873
give them cheap key chains you can order in bulk
>>
>>342089709
It's kickstarter, the whole point is you get money so you don't have to get a loan...
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 272x153) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 272x153
>>342089769
I like it
>>
Fellow dev who planned on doing a kickstarter here. Here's my advice that I got from people who succeeded in their games:
>Make sure your game is close to a releasable state before launching the kickstarter - not many people will be sold on a promise and ideas
>Have loads of stuff to show off to get people interested - the more stuff you have to show, the more confident people will be that you're able to finish the game
>Physical rewards should be few in number and negotiate manufacturing prices BEFORE you start your campaign - companies that make shit keep an eye on trending stuff and will rip you off if they see your campaign has reached a high amount of money before you have gotten anything made
>Release should be a year TOPS from when the kickstarter ends - constant delays piss people off and discourage further backing
>Communicate as much as you can - keep people updated at least monthly with info on what you're doing and show off some progress with videos to keep them satisfied that you're still trying to finish it
>>
>>342089769
Looks perfectly generic
>>
DONT HAVE STRETCH GOALS
dont fucking do it. its shifty as fuck and basically garuntees that the game isnt going to be to its full potential untill its met those goals.
have an idea for the game.
make the game
simple as that
>>
>>342089769
looks like absolute shit.
teraria is already out.
>>
>>342090147
I won't argue with that, but I like pixel art so whatever.
>>
>>342089769
So why a kickstarter vs early access?
>>
>>342090279
It's more Harvest Moon than Terraria
>>
File: 1435687022542.gif (35 KB, 126x123) Image search: [Google]
1435687022542.gif
35 KB, 126x123
>>342089769
Dont kickstart it, put it on early access. Get that starbound money then ditch the project when you've got enough money to live until you find a better job.

Make sure to add steam items and trading cards for the extra cash. Make them memetastic so every autistic fuck will display it on their profile.
>>
>>342090434
uhhh, I don't know...free money?

Well, I'd have to get it on steam first for that to work right?
>>
>>342090473
lol
>>
Get the game to a semi-decent spot
Kickstart it for a reasonable price (just to afford your living expenses for a couple months), give them a gimped demo
Keep working on it, provide updates
Two or three months down the line say you're making the switch to early access, give backers keys
Work on making Trading Cards/Steam Emoticons/Backgrounds/In-Game Items that shitters will want.

The money you'll potentially make from Kickstarter and the addition of the Early Access sales/Steam Marker items should allow you to comfortably make the game until you decide "its finished heres your backer rewards later faggots"
>>
i wanna do a kickstarter where people give me money for free. any sites like this?
>>
>>342086056
>What do you guys like to see as rewards for pledging?
Blowjobs.
>>
I couldn't care less about physical rewards. And it's always annoying when the devs decide to go that route and two years later you are receiving a shitload of e-mails from them talking about how the shirts will be delayed, how the miniatures are more expensive than predicted, how they need opinions on how to replace something because it is impossible to be done etc.

I go to Kickstarter because I want to give those guys money to finish their game, I don't want them wasting time making "swag" for fat neckbeards. Also if I see "swag" in your page or any similar word you are not getting a single cent, don't write about your project as if you were writing for a Gearbox game. At least pretend you take it seriousy.
>>
>>342090434
>>342090473
>>342090598
do both for maximum jew bucks lolz

Remember when Cave Story got translated and everyone thought indies would only get better and better? That dream?
>>
>>342093384
Yeah I'd like avoid promising something I can't deliver on...

And yeah you don't have to worry about "swag", buzzwords, or any other bullshit like that.
>>
>>342089769
Seems very nice, looks like something I'd play on my surface.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.