[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Wow worth getting into these days? I've always loved
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8
File: 184577833219.jpg (191 KB, 300x430) Image search: [Google]
184577833219.jpg
191 KB, 300x430
Is Wow worth getting into these days? I've always loved the warcraft series but I've always hated mmorpgs, so I've never played beyond the rts games.

If not, what mmos are worth playing? I've recently given up on life so I feel like trying one out.
>>
Vanilla servers are practically dead

Should've started 10 years ago
>>
Yan can play for free on a 10 day trial to see if it's your cup of tea.
>>
>>342074130
>what mmos are worth playing? I've recently given up on life so I feel like trying one out.

bumping for this
>>
>>342074130
If you've never played it, it's definitely worth trying. Leveling is the best part of the game. All the hatred you see for it is people stuck at level 100, waiting for new content.
>>
>>342074496
FF14 ignore the 1.5 GCD trolls, FF14 combat is complex compaed to spamming 2 buttons in WoW with a .5 GCD.
>>
>>342074586
Oh come now, I just started levelling a rogue a few weeks back and by level 30, you have about 20 different abilities to manage.
>>
>>342074514
Levelling is aids as fuck.

Being max level and actually doing interesting stuff is fun, not grinding levels.
>>
>>342074130
>Is Wow worth getting into these days?

It was never worth it.
>>
Honestly Tera is kinda better and not as outdated, but they're all shit more or less.

WoW has amazing netcode, so everything works like it should, most other mos have performance issues, if you try wow you'll feel like the rest is slightly shitty regarding client stability and response times.

A lot of people like GW2, if you're new to the genre it might be ok for you since you won't see it's negative points until you spend a good amount of time on it, and the pvp is still pretty solid.

Both Tera and GW2 are free, GW2 has an expansion but it will take you a while before you need it, you can try it for a long time before you need to purchase the latest content. Tera is mroe on the grindy side once you hit end game, and I think there's a huge expansion coming, so it might not be a bad time to join.

Honestly i've tried pretty much every mmo that's available currently on english (and even some in gook runes), ask me about any of the ones that might ainterest you and I'll tell you about my experience with them.

(be careful about the advice you get here, most people just hate mmos and talk shit about them without even playing, if you even dare to mention ESO or KOTOR you'll just get derailed and image spammed and no one will tell you why they're bad because they don't even know they just spout memes)
>>
>>342074684
It's almost like different people like different things
>>
>>342074731
>ask me about any of the ones that might interest you and I'll tell you about my experience with them

thinking of trying tree of savior for my first mmo
tell my why its shit, please
>>
>>342074731
I actually was interested in Tera and GW2, I guess I'll try those, I've always been deterred by WoW's monthly price
>>
File: 1399408195199.gif (3 MB, 248x153) Image search: [Google]
1399408195199.gif
3 MB, 248x153
>>342074586
>spamming 2 buttons in WoW
>everyone always joked that you could play DK by rolling your face across the key board
>actually tried it out
>the amount of time I wasted on that damn game
>>
File: xiv-wow MCH MM.jpg (96 KB, 994x240) Image search: [Google]
xiv-wow MCH MM.jpg
96 KB, 994x240
>>342074130
Wow is something with Legion. I am not sure what, but something for certain.
>>
File: 1465880662368.webm (595 KB, 528x348) Image search: [Google]
1465880662368.webm
595 KB, 528x348
>>342074982
Well It's actually not as bad as people say, but since you don't have an mmo background a lot of it's restrictions might confuse you and annoy you, the game does a poor work at explaining some of it's "features" and "restrictions". Honestly the game is pretty fair on the f2p side, since you don't need to spend hundreds of dollars to be competitive, but you'll probably want to get the "premium" service, which can be acquired through in game money (I spent about $100 on it to get some cheapo bundles at release and I didn't even spend 10% of the currency I got out of those, I bought 10 months of premium service with in game currency, I'm just gonna blow it all on cosmetics someday)

I'll try to tell you what people hate briefly
>you couldn't trade without premium, now you can but what you trade gets bound to the other character and can't be traded again.
>you can only list 1 item on the AH without premium and you lose 30% of the sale
>to create a guild you need to grind a swordsman to rank 7(around lvl 225) and pick a shitty as fuck class that makes guilds, guilds have a very small player limit as well and they're account wide
>game is unfinished like most mmos on release, the only way to progress from 1-230 is repeating quests and daily quests, once you hit 230 there's no quests and you have to group grind, a competent tryhard group can grind a level in 2 hours or so and the cap right now is 280 (mobs start having like 150k+ hp so grinding solo is near impossible)
>balance is horrible, there's hundreds of possible class combinations, but besides maybe 8 or so top tier builds the rest range from subpar, to buggy, to unplayable.
>Korea has a different client, with more content, more cosmetics, and unnerfed classes, global client has ultra shit swordsmans, and mediocre ranger, also they buffed they zombie class there but idk how it went
>client is unpotimized as shit, no one in the world can run this game with stable 30+ fps, world bosses are 4fps on high end
>>
>>342074130
don't bother

watch the movie instead
>>
>>342076173
i see. well, what would be a good mmo for a beginner whose running a toaster?
>>
>>342076173
cont.
>You can't reset stat points, reset stat potions are given in korea from seasonal events, but we don't have events over here
>You can reset skill points, but it costs about 8usd, or get from seasonal events
>You can't reset classes, if you go blind and don't do your research before picking classes it's very likely you'll regret some of your early choices and maybe feel gimped if you keep going
>quests start alright and at some point devs stopped giving a fuck and they just repeat the most standard objectives like kill 20 dudes, bring me 50 carrots, go build me some fences, pick up that shit on the floor because I'm too lazy etc.
>dungeons are kinda shit, on release they never worked, people gave the game bad reviews because of that, now they work almost all the time, but you get matched with teams that have no healers and no one ever brings potions
>you can only run 2 dungeons a day if you're not premium, 3 if you're premium, and there's a daily mercenary quest you unlock at lvl 100 and for a long this might be your biggest source of exp, you'll also be forced to run this stupid merc quest 2/3 times a day if you want as most exp as possible.
>Pet AI is complete garbo, don't pick a pet class unless you have a lot of patience, half the time they don't do what you want or simply make things worse for you.
>This is a personal one, but there's this skill called frostcloud, it's basically the best offensive skill in the game, only a very specific build has access to it, and it kinda makes every other skill seem like shit in comparisson

If you can ignore all of those flaws or deal with them, the game is kinda ok, the visuals are very pleasing, the music is superb, as I said previously on the f2p spectrum the cash shop is very fair, the quests while repetitive aren't too bad, the class system allows for plenty of variety, the lack of content and unbalance is mostly a matter of time for them to be fixed, we can only hope devs fix those before the game dies
>>
LotRO is better.
>>
>>342076227
this is the worst advice in the thread thus far, kudos
>>
>>342074443
>>342074130
The trial account allows you to play for free forever but you can't level past level 20.
>>
>>342077204

>>/Discord/

:^)
>>
>>342074586
Its 2.5 GCD though, and its a pretty valid concern to be honest.
>>
File: 1461733733782.jpg (81 KB, 449x450) Image search: [Google]
1461733733782.jpg
81 KB, 449x450
>FFXIV fags think their game is better than WoW at it's lowest point (WoD)
>>
>>342077948
It actually has a halfway decent story instead of the 'back-to-the-future, oh wait nothing we did here actually matters' garbage that the WoW writers shat out for WoD
>>
>>342078064
You play one FF you played them all.
Prolly something to do with crystals or a Element/Monster/Meteor wanting to destroy something.
>>
Would WoW be worth getting into for someone who's never touched any of them?

Probably the closest thing I've played to WoW would be Tera or GW2. But imo Tera went overboard with all the weeb and pedo shit, along with gender-locking.

GW2 seems to be on a sinking ship. All the SJW and Tumblr crap isn't helping either. The combat for both of them seemed pretty good though.

How does Wow hold up at the moment? I'll probably try the free trial at some point but has it still got graphics that look like they're from 2007 with shit-tier combat and animations?
>>
no
the game is for filthy casuals now
go play something else
>>
>>342078325
>has it still got graphics that look like they're from 2007
Yep
>>
File: PDmy1g1[1].gif (584 KB, 213x398) Image search: [Google]
PDmy1g1[1].gif
584 KB, 213x398
>>342076985
Most mmos are able to be run on toasters (with ultra low settings obviously), also there's this gook magic that makes games look ok even with shit hardware. (heck look at the minimum requirements for Tree of Savior, it can be run on windows fucking XP, a lot of it's performance issues come from this since Dx 9 limitations etc, but whatever I guess)

If you're really ultra bottom tier hardware wise, Perfect World is kinda nice, I played the shit out of that back in the day, it's pay2win as fuck, and progressing past lvl 60 might be very rough, but it's one of the most basic and enjoyable mmos out there, the summoner class is super strong and fun, she nukes, she heals, her pet tanks and she and turns monsters into eggs, and then sells those eggs if you want (probably not worth it nowdays).

There's also instanced mmos which don't require that much hardware, Dragon Nest, Vindictus, Phantasy star online 2, Continent of the ninth seal, those are worth checking out, I recently played Kritika, but the servers are hosted on Singapore so the lag might be an issue.

You can never go wrong with ragnarok, the game that made us all fall in love with the genre, both RO and WoW are the pinacle of modern mmos, both have aged a lot, but if you're really new I don't think you can hate them.

There's also RIFT, for many known as the poor man's wow, I think leveling might be a bit tedious since I don't think many people will be running around low the low level zones, but if you have a buddy to level with you it could be alright.

If you like star wars the old republic is fine, you don't really get annoyed by any monetary restrictions until you hit end game, It has over 200 hours of recorded voice acting from professional actors, yes 200 hours that's like 100 fucking movies in one game, it's stupid big and it's not as bad as people say, heck it has a ton of replay value because of that, some stories are lame, but some are really fun.

Tera, GW2, Archeage etc
>>
File: 1460517219614.jpg (293 KB, 911x930) Image search: [Google]
1460517219614.jpg
293 KB, 911x930
>>342074130
You are literally six years too late to have fun with WoW dude. I'm sorry. The ONLY reason anyone is still subbed is because they're afraid to leave their virtual collection of goodies they threw away months or years of their life to collect.

>>342074514
>Leveling is the best part of the game.
It took me eight months to get my first character from level 1 to level 60. It was a goddamn adventure the whole way through- new places, new friends, new enemies, a world full of unknowns. It was absolutely amazing. Now granted, it probably wouldn't have taken so long if I wasn't still in school, but at least it didn't take six goddamn days to get from 1 to 90 like it did for my brother when he played it for the first time. Add that to the fact that datamining sites tell you where everything is, and how no one talks to each other EVER anymore, and you've got a quick, shallow, tepid experience.

Don't play WoW OP. It's dead, and the worst thing is that even if vanilla servers become a reality it won't change a goddamn thing because everyone knows where everything is, everyone knows how the game is played and no one has any reason or any incentive to socialize outside of the near-dead RP scene. There's no World anymore, and there's barely any Warcraft left.
>>
>>342078325
>>342074130
IDK. If you just need an MMO as a time waster then WoW is certainly great. It has a decade of content and shit you can farm weekly. Out of all the MMOs, WoW is also the most polished.

If you want to play an MMO for the social aspect, then WoW's not bad. It still has a large playerbase so all types of people exist for you to play with.
>>
>>342074586
No thanks. I just can't stand set rotation combat. It can get mind numbing even with the glowing circle mechanics
>>
Honestly the best advice I can give you regarding p2p mmos, is before making any investment, or even before wasting your time downloading a 30+ gb client with a trial, is go watch a low profile streamer and ask them questions about what they're doing and such.

If you see they're idling a lot in town, that can give you an idea of how poorly the game is doing and how much lack of content there is in the game. If you play more than 2 hours a day 3 times a week, is very likely you'll hit that same "no content" spot everyone has to deal with it.

Honestly I get furstrated with that and would rather play another game than repeat daily/weekly quests for months just to unlock some new tier of armor, but it might not be as bad for you, so I think any mmo can be fun if it manages to provide you with enough of the content that you enjoy for a long period of time. Mmo veterans for some reason expect mmos to be this infinite fun content machine that will keep them entertained forever, but obviously the content always runs out, and either you'll start doing boring shit every day and get burned out, or takes things slowly and fool around without worrying about being the best of the best that no one ever was.
>>
>>342079058

Nah senpai that's just a bad experience. I hadn't played played WoW since Wrath, subbed again because the Warcraft move did it's job with me and it's still fun.

Just yesterday I was shouting like an old grampa at players in darkshore telling them to stop killing bears on a quest because you had to actually wait for them to turn neutral to farm a quest item off them. Had them all waiting. Was fun.
>>
I just started playing 5 days ago. Level 31 arcane mage (haven't gone dual yet) and I just have one skill to spam for main damage. Over and over and over.
>>
>>342076051
>log onto my combat rogue on ptr
>literally 4 damage skills, 5 if i spec one
>>
>>342074586
Both WoW and FF14 have shit combat. You're arguing over which turd is slightly less smelly.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.