[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck happened with mmo genre?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: everquest-dragon.jpg (245 KB, 1024x819) Image search: [Google]
everquest-dragon.jpg
245 KB, 1024x819
What the fuck happened with mmo genre?
>>
>>342024349
You got old faggot.
>>
it was never good
>>
>>342024349

world of warcraft came out and then every dev had to either make an mmo that was like wow or update their mmo so that it would play like wow
>>
>>342024629
Yes, but we still got 1-2 mmo per year, it's just wow was better(until wotlk and since cata)
But now, I would gladly accept even aoc and Warhammer, and something like vanguard would be a masterpiece
>>
>Normies
>You got older and dont have as much free time
>Datamining ruined any sense of exploration or discovery
>The entire genre is held back by networking limitations

Just to name a few things.
>>
>>342024954
>>>Datamining ruined any sense of exploration or discovery

To think I got called a retard when I said sites like mmo champion and PBE ruined mmos years ago makes me sad
>>
industry was dominated by jew companies
>>
File: Please.png (142 KB, 440x193) Image search: [Google]
Please.png
142 KB, 440x193
Nobody ever tried copying Runescape.
>>
New mmo's want to give players more "freedom" and therefore dont force them to play together and use social skills, which is the pillar of a succesfull mmo
>>
File: hobby degradation.jpg (827 KB, 2404x1260) Image search: [Google]
hobby degradation.jpg
827 KB, 2404x1260
>>
>>342024954
>>342025402
Nostr proved that datamining isn't a problem and you can still have "fun" even if you know everything about game
>>
>>342025996
>>Nostr proved that datamining isn't a problem and you can still have "fun" even if you know everything about game
Because you dont kill everything in 2 hits and grouping up with people is actually important to do quests faster/easier.
>>
>>342025685

>therefore dont force them to play together

That's not what 'old school' MMOs ever did. You could get along just fine without having to rely on anybody else. Sure there was encouragement and incentive, but no more than there is now. Hell you could even solo in FFXI.
>>
>>342024349
It became too casualized because it was too hardcore. I love classic EQ, I grew up in Norrath, but there is no way I can spend 8 hours a day camping a spawn. Yet, all the modern mmos aren't as satisfying because they are too easy. The one mmo I enjoy these days is EVE. Low time investment since skills train when offline and the 1v1 pvp is satisfying.
>>
>>342024954

>Normies

I call them 'the lowest common denominator'. Basically if an actual retard can't play the game at least poorly, it's too hard.

>You got older and dont have as much free time

Yes and no. Late 90s/early 2000s MMOs were fairly niche and the playerbase was somewhat older on average than now. 20 years ago the people playing MMOs were mostly late teen or in their early 20s. Now the average age is more like 14 and the bulk of the player base are meme spouting kids from Xbox Live.

>Datamining ruined any sense of exploration or discovery

A thousand times yes. Used to be if you wanted to learn about a new area you got a few friends and went out exploring. Some of my fondest memories of FFXI is dragging a group of nervous players in the low 50s out to Aht Urghan and testing out various new leveling sites, the day it launched. We had a blast and made literally hundreds of millions of gil selling those gold coins you bought with sigil points.

>>342025685

I think FFXI was the last MMO to really enforce the 'multiplayer' part of the genre on players. If you wanted to succeed you HAD to make friends. You HAD to help people with their tedious key farming and questing for their AF armor and Limit Break quests. You HAD to help people get through story quests. Because if you didn't, they wouldn't help YOU.

>>342026261

Yeah lets see you solo your way through story fights or promys mr BST.
>>
It's always been shit.
The MMO era before WoW(The casualization of MMO's.) was only for real no lifers and unless you spent 40h+ a week on the MMO you would be fucked.

Nowadays everyone whines about how casual every MMO is and how it "does not force you to socialize"(Do people really think that forcing you to socialize is a good thing?), but it's at least 100x times better than how it was before.
>>
>>342026503

>Yeah lets see you solo your way through story fights or promys

On that note, FFXIV forces you to group up constantly. People still bitch about it.
>>
>>342026503
>ffxi
>fondest memories
Opinion disregarded
FFXI was literally the teso of it's age, no new ideas and all others mmo did everything already better
There was literally no reason to move on it from the eq instead of wow
>>
>>342026892

Hell you could be casual plenty in old MMOs. I remember just running around killing random monsters in Asheron's Call and having a blast 15 minutes before school started. Don't need anyone for that.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.