[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unpopular opinion thread I feel the accents make Dragon Quest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: 90056_front[1].jpg (69 KB, 500x450) Image search: [Google]
90056_front[1].jpg
69 KB, 500x450
Unpopular opinion thread

I feel the accents make Dragon Quest games more fun and improve the overall game
>>
I like Fallout 4 just as much as I like New Vegas, but for different reasons.

I didn't really care for the Witcher 3, albeit I only put about 5 hours in but it hasn't held my interest thus far.

I love the tank controls of early Resident Evil and Silent Hill games, and much prefer them actually over the 3rd person over the shoulder stuff.
>>
>>342019324

Yer opinion is bad an' ye shoods feel bad
>>
>>342019324
I think MGS4 is better than MGS2 and Phantom Pain
>>
>>342019324

Star Ocean 2 is overrated, Star Ocean 3 gets far too much undeserved crap for its twist, and Star Ocean 4 is the best JRPG of its platform.

come at me
>>
>>342019324
Pretty sure everyone I know agrees with you
>>
>>342020631
4 sucks, like a bad tales in terms of gameplay
>>
>>342019324
>Thinking people don't want glorious russian princess
>>
>>342020631
>Star Ocean 4 is the best JRPG of its platform

This is about unpopular opinions, not terrible opinions.
>>
>>342019324

How is that unpopular
>>
>>342020834
>like a bad tales in terms of gameplay
>like a bad tales

But all tales games are bad
>>
>>342021194
well yeah but the gameplay is better than star ocean
>>
>>342019324
I thought DQH's english VAs where great
>>
>>342019324
As a non-native english speaker, they make the dialogue a chore to read.
>>
>>342021483
DQH may have the best va localization ever as far as jp games go.
>>
>>342021483
it still pissed me off that based ragnar wasn't in heroes
>>
>>342019324
I agree it's added flavor where there could otherwise be nothing. makes the little towns you go to memorable
>>
>>342022226
They're a chore as a native English speaker too.
>>
Saints Row the Third is a mechanically speaking superior game over SR2's tedious main-quest missions and mandatory bitch-work to advance the plot.
>>
Whit th' buck did ye jist feckin' say abit me, ye wee huir? i’ll hae ye ken Ah graduated top ay mah class in th' navy seals, an' i’ve bin involved in numeroos secrit raids oan al-quaeda, an' Ah hae ower 300 confirmed kills. Ah am trained in gorilla warfaur an' i’m th' top sniper in th' entire us armed forces. ye ur naethin' tae me but jist anither targit. Ah will wipe ye th' buck it wi' precision th' likes ay which has ne'er bin seen afair oan thes earth, mark mah feckin' words. ye hink ye can gettae France wi' sayin' 'at jobby tae me ower th' internit? hink again, camel blower. as we spick Ah am contactin' mah secrit network ay spies athwart th' usa an' yer ip is bein' traced reit noo sae ye better prepaur fur th' st'rm, maggot. th' st'rm 'at wipes it th' pathetic wee hin' ye caa yer life. yoo’re feckin' deid, bairn. Ah can be anywhaur, onytime, an' Ah can kill ye in ower seven hunder ways, an' that’s jist wi' mah baur hans. nae only am Ah extensively trained in unarmed combat, but Ah hae access tae th' entire arsenal ay th' united states marine corps an' Ah will use it tae its foo extent tae wipe yer crabbit crease aff th' coopon ay th' continent, ye wee jobby. if only ye coods hae knoon whit unholy retribution yer wee “clever” comment was in th' wey o brin' doon upon ye, mebbe ye woods hae held yer feckin' tongue. but ye cooldn’t, ye didn’t, an' noo yoo’re payin' th' price, ye goddamn divit. Ah will jobby fury aw ower ye an' ye will droon in it. yoo’re feckin' deid, kiddo.
>>
>>342022226
As a native English speaker, when it's extremely severe like in 4 it makes a chore to read.

>>342021107
The localization by 8, and every game after having varying degrees of accents (from minor to major) is pretty love or hate so it's unpopular depending on the circle you say that. /v/ definitely seems to fall into the latter camp.
>>
>>342019324
I like it too. It's a nice touch making it seem like you're really traveling countries, and its one advantage we got over Japan. And weren't Meena and Maya french? It shouldn't have been possible to make them more attractive.
>>
>>342023285
>And weren't Meena and Maya french?

No. Why would they be french? Their complexion and demeanor isn't anything like a frenchy's and they aren't native to the town they appear in.
>>
File: 1320593312492.jpg (421 KB, 836x2091) Image search: [Google]
1320593312492.jpg
421 KB, 836x2091
>>342023892
Sorry, but I'm French
>>
>>342024337
Are you apologizing for being french or apologizing for head canonin' fantasy characters into french?
>>
File: 1449355642652.png (13 KB, 660x670) Image search: [Google]
1449355642652.png
13 KB, 660x670
>>342024337
>>
>>342019324
you say that while posting the game where the accents made certain characters impossible to read
>>
>>342026830
Chapter 1 was hell.
>>
>>342021107
If you go into a DQ thread, most people hate the accents. While I do like them, I can understand the hate, since in Japanese they're made so even children can read them, while over here it can be an exercise. I will say though that Ragnar's part in IV was the worst. Reminded me of that one time I picked up the book for Trainspotting and read the first page.
>>
>>342019324
That's actually a popular opinion. Don't let vocal minorities on 4chan fool you.
>>
I find Banjo a shit game, mostly because I hate the levels in it, imo everything after the Treasure Cove was awful.
For reference Mario 64 is my favorite game.

The only Zelda I enjoyed was MM, mostly because of the time mechanic and side quests. I don't like any of the dungeons in any zelda game.

I can't have fun playing game on mp with my irl friends(even if I like the game), and I always try to avoid doing it.
>>
>>342019324
R&D 1 was Nintendo's best team.
>>
Donkey Kong 64 was shit
>>
>>342019324
I think Trish is way more attractive than Lady.
>>
I found the DK rap annoying
>>
>>342029335
Having 100 percent it recently, I can only assume anyone who loves it was suffering from Stockholm syndrome.
>>
>>342030903
why would you do that to yourself
>>
>>342019324

I think the accents are a neat idea. If handled properly, they'd be fine. From what I've seen though they're handled like shit. They're very easily understood, if you're an adult native English speaker you shouldn't have trouble, but a large majority of Americans are barely literate anyway (I'm an American, so don't bust out those yuropoor insults). They're still handled like shit. I like them in games when they're used properly though, I'm not afraid of a "dinnae" coming from a person with an Irish accent, it's not fucking hard to figure out, I did it playing Chrono Cross when I was 12 years old.

That said, what I've seen of English Dragon Quest localizations is mostly awful.
>>
There is nothing wrong with COR BLIMEY, but Sancho was a bit much.
>>
>>342031170
It was spaced out for literal months. I did not do it in one sitting. It was also the only Rare game I never played. I did not actually do it in one sitting. There was plenty, PLENTY of breaks between starting and finishing.
>>
>>342031201
It's funny you should mention Chrono Cross, since the same TLer did 8 and started the trend of localization having European accents that now plague every game in the franchise.
>>
>>342032658

Yeah I know, Richard Honeywood. He's pretty terrible, I've read his guide on "culturalization".
>>
>>342019324
Unpopular opinion? That's an objective fact.
>>
How does borderline incomprehensible dialogue popping up improve the overall game? They make you not want to speak with nonessential characters to run into it as little as possible, which makes you miss out on a vital part of the role-playing experience.

Then there's the dumb localized name choices, often done to shove in puns and references.
>>
>>342033696
It makes me want to speak with them more because it's fun to read.

Fucking casuals.
>>
>>342033696

The name changes are terrible. I can understand them in some situations, like Kukuru to Angelo, there's no easy way to make that name not sound awkward in English. Of course, that may be fine to depending on various factors.
>>
>>342033696
So what would you have localized the names as?
>>
>>342032403
you must've enjoyed it or you wouldn't have kept going.
>>
>>342034939

Not him, but I'd have left them alone. Nothing wrong with Loto, Flora, Hassan, Barbara, etc. I do translations, both official and unofficial, and I only change names when I have good reasons to, which isn't often.
>>
>>342035124
Not him, I finished Sticker Star despite hating it just so I could give a fair critique on why it's shit.
>>
>>342035124

Man, I only finished Persona 4 because I paid for it and I felt it would be a waste of money if I didn't finish that damn game.
>>
>>342035124
It came and went. I think it was nostalgia for the Rare formula was what kept me going. I definitely didn't enjoy the experience, but yes there were some bits that were okay. If I had done it one sitting my dislike of the game would probably be a lot more irrational.
>>
>>342019324
I agree completely. However, some accents are really exageratted which makes some sentences hard to read.

That's only a few times though. All in all I still like them.
>>
>>342035231
Yes, but names also apply to things like locations, moves and others like items. Characters can be usually be exempt but the others have less leeway. I mean I agree I like the original names more, and would only change the names if it's a case like Phoenix Wright where the Japanese names are just puns anyway. It's still a tightrope issue where you have to have a good balance between the source material and fitting the new language.
>>
>>342019324
The accents were so fucked that I thought my copy was glitched
>>
>>342036096

Yeah, puns is when you'd want to change someone's name, you simply can not translate a pun. Or if, say, they're based on a Japanese sound effect, or a Japanese pronunciation of an English word or something, and it's meant to be obvious to Japanese readers, but it won't be to English readers. in those cases you really want to consider altering names, depending on various factors.

Pokemon is a series that's kind of interesting as far as name changes go, they did a good job on Pokemon names as far as I know. I can even see why they'd change the names of human characters.

In the case of Dragon Quest, I think S-E mandates the name changes. I know they told Plus Alpha that they wanted DQ VIII to be a new start to the series in America, and let them do pretty much whatever they wanted. And with the name changes in DQ VII's 3DS version, it really seems like someone from S-E is at fault. Some of them are fine, like certain punny enemy names, and I think the spells are good for the most part. I like Starflight Express and Alltrades Abbey is kinda clever. A lot of them though are pretty awful.
>>
Spyro games and Crash games never reached 9/10. None of them.

And the re-designs aren't that outrageous, specially Crash. I don't like tribal tattoos or any kind of tattoo but I don't think is such a big deal.
>>
>>342036921
Last I heard they're redoing the entire script of 7's original translation so name changes were probably bound to happen. The new script is probably going to be in the vain similar to Plus Alpha's work. Dunno if I'll call it a good thing, but the original did have some pretty rough text so I guess there is some precedence.
>>
>>342038127

From what they showed off during E3, Melvin was changed to Mervyn, Gabo to Ruff, and Aira to Aishe. No accents in what little they showed though, so that's cool. There was some accents in a previous gameplay showing, but it wasn't too bad.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.