[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the greatest blunder in vidya history?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 19
File: Sonic_X-treme_Coverart.png (222 KB, 256x431) Image search: [Google]
Sonic_X-treme_Coverart.png
222 KB, 256x431
What is the greatest blunder in vidya history?
>>
>>342006015
FFXV because Tabata is a fucking hack.
>>
File: battleborn.jpg (203 KB, 1200x628) Image search: [Google]
battleborn.jpg
203 KB, 1200x628
>>342006015
>>
>>342006163
I would call FFXIV before the reboot a bigger blunder.

The game flopped so hard the company had to publicly apologize to everyone who bought the game and suspend the sub fee, Hiromichi Tanaka had to resign, and they dropped a nuke on the game and did a total remake from the entire game client to the server infrastructure which supports the game. FFXIV was the prime reason why FFXV was delayed for years.
>>
>>342006312
>Literally who: the game
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 320x198) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 320x198
>newfags saying FFXV & Battleborn
>>
E.T. still looms pretty large.

As far as biggest mistake in a mostly-respected series goes, either PaRappa 2 or Other M. In both cases, you never saw the air let out of a fandom so fast.
>>
>>342006857
What's up with parappa 2
>>
Mighty No 9?
>>
>>342006489
I'm pretty sure not knowing the game or pretending not to encourages the title of blunder, as much as it hurts you to admit.
>>
CRASH TWINSANITY

but however it made up for it for still being good.
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 300x168
>>
The planning and release of the Sega Saturn stands as a pretty gigantic mess that helped torpedo Sega as a console maker.
>not anticipating the interest in 3D graphics, hampering the system as a result
>making the architecture complicated as piss for third-party developers to make games, especially said 3D games
>announcing and releasing the system at the same time in the US, exclusively at K-B Toys, and pissing off every other retailer in the process
>coming in $100 over the PlayStation with mediocre-to-bad launch titles
>the general fuckery of Bernie Stolar, and piss-poor relations between SoA and SoJ
>>
>>342007523
PaRappa 1 was one of those games that even people who weren't into gaming took notice of, and Lammy had a lot of fans even as the music wasn't quite as good. PaRappa 2 failed at EVERYTHING from music to characters and effectively killed the series and arguably dragged the story-centric rhythm-game genre down with it - Gitaroo-Man and EBA never got the respect they deserved because by then the rhythm-game had moved onto dancepads and karaoke. Major Minor is a worse game by the same folks, but it's the combination of suck and bad timing that makes PtR2 the bigger blunder IMO.
>>
I say the Xbox One reveal is one of the worst from the past decade. Even Ouya doesn't compare to how much Microsoft fucked up.
>>
>>342006163
FF in the past ten years, I'd say. Every instalment has been a blunder in some way shape or form.

They had to rebuild and relaunch FFXIV, it was THAT bad
>>
File: 1458999411398.jpg (59 KB, 357x357) Image search: [Google]
1458999411398.jpg
59 KB, 357x357
>>342006448

>They actually blame how shit XIII-2 and LR sold on by how bad XIV originally was

The arrogance and ignorance of Square-Enix sometimes is just astonishing.
>>
>>342007727
Fuck off, retard.
>>
>>342008887
Not sure about biggest failure, but the reviews Parappa 2 got and then suddenly the series vanishes as fast as it began is weird.
>>
File: Major-minor-box-art.jpg (68 KB, 256x360) Image search: [Google]
Major-minor-box-art.jpg
68 KB, 256x360
Speaking of Masaya Matsuura/Rodney Greenblat and colossal failures...
>>
>>342008260
I feel new as fuck agreeing with this but in terms of money involved and public reception, I can't think of anything else coming close.
N-Gage, maybe?
>>
>>342008887
What exactly was wrong with Parappa 2 tho.

Stage 2, 3, 4, and 7 had great music. 1, 5, and 6 were weird sure but so were songs in the original.
>>
Nothing comes close to ET or Daikatana
>>
File: MattrickAsshole.jpg (28 KB, 501x495) Image search: [Google]
MattrickAsshole.jpg
28 KB, 501x495
>>342006015

How about this guy doing five years worth of brand damage still felt today by the overwhelming success of a competitor?

He lost Microsoft billions of dollars theoretically.
>>
>>342007727
A scam is not quite the same thing as a blunder. Like, it's intentional, where the blunder is part of the plan.
>>
>>342009184
Pretty much all of S-E's catalog during that time period would have all had to do peak Call of Duty numbers to bail out that train wreck. Tomb Raider '13 sold several million copies, but was still deemed a "failure" because it wasn't able to recoup the massive failure FF14 was.

>>342010062
Xbone should have been a lay-up for MS, and now they're having to backpedal to the PC audience (who also wants nothing to do with their dogshit Xbox games platform).
>>
>>342006015
The actual release itself was a gift from God and a miracle like that isn't happening again. Someone who wasn't an asshole hoarder found a set of data discs with a couple of builds and not only that but he was an experienced techie who had access to Saturn dev hardware and the means to make the game semi-playable!
>>
File: file.png (99 KB, 600x144) Image search: [Google]
file.png
99 KB, 600x144
I'm here to hurt you
>>
>>342010491
I thought Spore was at least financially successful?
>>
>>342008449
The Europe release of the saturn was just as bad, they just dropped it on retailers mid summer with next to no announcement or time to promote anything.
>>
File: 3rd_Curious_George_Poster.jpg (1008 KB, 4080x3090) Image search: [Google]
3rd_Curious_George_Poster.jpg
1008 KB, 4080x3090
>>342006738
>newfags saying Gizmondo and N-Gage
>>
evolve
>>
Silicon Knights suing Epic.
>>
>>342009194

Nah, it's at least a nominee if not the outright winner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdCIrHWzXoE

REMEMBER THE FOUR GORILLION
>>
>>342012485

Ha ha. That was brilliant.
>>
>>342012570
That's not really a blunder though, just a mishandled disappointment for the fans.
>>
File: well, it really wasn't.jpg (342 KB, 901x1261) Image search: [Google]
well, it really wasn't.jpg
342 KB, 901x1261
>>342006015
I don't know, OP. This one was even bigger imo and the franchise has not recovered from it yet
>>
>>342011242

>Touch screen

>Dual slots

>limited internet connectivity

The system was ass performance-wise but it's amazing how Nintendo took those ideas nearly a decade later and refined them into something good. Too ahead of its time?
>>
>>342012882
Its part blunder and part scam(because come on, you can't screw up THIS bad by accident).
>>
I don't know if I'd call it the biggest since I'm sure if you dig down deep enough there's always something worse but it's really, really fucking bad yeah. I can't think of many other games that nearly killed the creators due to overworking themselves trying to salvage something that was FUBAR

I remember playing the engine test or whatever the hell that was when someone leaked/recreated it and it didn't even seem that good from a gameplay perspective.
>>
File: BombermanActZero_USBOX_Mrated.jpg (548 KB, 1200x1696) Image search: [Google]
BombermanActZero_USBOX_Mrated.jpg
548 KB, 1200x1696
>>342006015

E.T.

To this day it is still E.T. Most of you weren't alive for it, but it was the equivalent of the 2008 stock market crash, except in the video game industry only. It's really a different kind of feeling to wake up one morning and realize that there might not be any more games made. Not that there won't be "good" games made - the very really worry was that NO more games at all were going to be made after the catastrophic failure that was E.T. To be entirely honest, this was more of a "straw that broke the camel's back" situation, as there was a mountain of shit on the industry's back already and it was primed for a reset, but E.T dwarfed everything that had previously (and has since) happened and nearly killed it.

There are some other HUGE blunders though that changed the industry.

>Sony's PSN hack.
>Sega's console strategy (especially the Saturn)
>Microsoft's Always Online DRM strategy
>Nintendo dropping Sony for their disc add on

Then there's other blunders, that are worse individually for the company but less so for the industry.

>Nintendo's Virtual Boy
>Nintendo's 3DS launch
>Atari's Jaguar
>Sony's PS3 pricing
>Sony's PS3 launch
>Sega's Shenmue costing 3x more than they could possibly make back
>Sega's American and Japanese branch disagreements on EVERYTHING
>Microsoft's faulty hardware
>Microsoft's Always On-Line DRM strategy

*Capcom got flak for its on-disc DLC, and Konami got flak for PACHINKO / KOJIMA, but neither was truly a blunder. On-Disc DLC is a staple now, and Konami's more profitable than previously.
**Gizmondo was a scam, not a blunder.

Biggest games that blundered outside of E.T.?
>Pac-Man (Atari 2006)
>Sonic X-Treme
>Sonic 2006
>Sonic Boom
>Daikatana
>Duke NUKEM Forever
>Metroid: Other M
>Any recent Peter Moleneux game
>Any Tim Schaeffer game in general (sales for his games are always bad)
>FFXIV

*Mighty No. 9 has turned into more of a scam than a blunder at this point.
>>
File: rip-duke-nukem-forever.png (84 KB, 400x532) Image search: [Google]
rip-duke-nukem-forever.png
84 KB, 400x532
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d09kva8wghM
>>
>>342013835

>and Konami's more profitable than previously.

This one hurts...
>>
>>342009472
a game by the creators of parappa the rapper and umjammer lammy on the wii.

never heard of that game.

was the game that bad?
>>
>>342010491
Spore was still a good game in the end though.
>>
>>342006857

The problem with ET isn't the game itself (it's not anything special but it's solid enough especially considering when it came out, what it came out on and how much time it had to be completed) but with the marketing. If I recall it (or Pacman, hell maybe both) had more copies made than 2600's existed at the time for fuck's sake.

It's kinda like when David Arquette became WCW world champion. It wasn't the reason everything went to shit but it sure the fuck didn't help and it was definitely the defining moment to anyone from the outside looking in to say "well of course [x] failed, look at [y]."
>>
Sonic Boom
The thing had a fucking TV and Comic deal.
>>
>>342006015
>sonic X-treme

Theres restoration progress on that actually. need to get around to playing it.
>>
>>342006015
that's not a blunder, It never came out. That's a tragedy.

now THIS
>>342013415
is a blunder.
>>
>>342013835

I think that "Nintendo trying to fuck over Sony" thing probably is the biggest backfire video games as an industry has ever had at least.
>>
>>342014753
see >>342014316

trying to find the latest build put out
>>
>>342013835

To elaborate on some of the other huge blunders a little more:

>Sony's PSN hack.

Unprecedented and has had very real and serious ramifications for Sony. They lost a LOT of money on this, and it's changed how every gaming company handles cyber-security (for the better).

>Sega's console strategy (especially the Saturn)

Sega needed to get their shit out to compete with Sony and they had to do it right away, but they decided nearing the end of development that they needed 3D capability as well since Sony had it. Of course, they wanted all the extra stuff shipped with the Saturn, WITHOUT CHANGING THE RELEASE DATE. They have yet to learn that when you change the scope, you change the fucking release date. This set them up so hard for failure, the Dreamcast would have had to have Wii levels of success to make them not drop out of the market, and even then they'd still have to fight for their place.

>Microsoft's Always Online DRM strategy (this changed the industry, I put it in the other list by accident)

The biggest problem here is that they announced it first. By doing so, instead of letting Sony do it, they pretty much gave the generation away to Sony. There's only been one worse instance of a gaming company giving away the generation on a silver platter...

>Nintendo dropping Sony for their disc add on

...and this is it. This is doubly worse, because Nintendo funded Sony's research into the technology. Had they not dropped Sony, the ENTIRE video game industry would be different. But they did, they bombed with the N64, bombed harder with the Gamecube, and only came back into relevancy with the Wii, literally 10 years later.
>>
>>342015105
>saturn

also the fact that they did that early reveal and release, which fucked them over bigtime, as first off- there were almost NO games out for it, and second, all the retailers who DIDNT get the early shipments got salty decided not to sell it at all, replacing its spot with more of it's competition.

>N64/Gamecube
>Bombs

were they? I mean they werent big like the Playstation, but they were hardly failures. At least not the Gamecube, which was boosted by it's incredibly strong first party titles like Metroid Prime and Mario Sunshine
>>
>>342012485
shit I forgot about that.
>>
>>342014753
>>342014939
>>342014316
found it
>>
>>342015512

The N64 was in a deep third place in Japan (Saturn actually did pretty well there) and still far behind the PS in the states (where calling the Saturn an also-ran understates it)

Not him and I'm not sure I'd outright call it a failure but it sure the hell wasn't an industry leader like Nintendo had been up to that point, and basically the same thing happened with the Gamecube.
>>
>>342015681
is it being worked on by chris whatsis name, the guy who originally dumped all the info and shit?
>>
Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
>>
File: ss (2016-06-19 at 11.56.25).png (83 KB, 648x441) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-06-19 at 11.56.25).png
83 KB, 648x441
>>342015829
Jollyroger and some others.
I didnt follow it because i got occupied with other things but I know theres more progress, but i guess they havent released that version yet.

the fact its named Sonic Boom is amusing
>>
>>342008449
It's sad because the DC launch was basically all the right moves. I don't see how they could have done it better. Great price point, decent system, great selection of games at launch.
>>
File: 1444055061008.jpg (202 KB, 1152x778) Image search: [Google]
1444055061008.jpg
202 KB, 1152x778
>>342016062
>Sega fans salty to this day that mah boi could play DVDs and had an even better library within a year of release
>>
Sega daring EA to reverse engineer the Mega Drive was a bit of a blunder.
>>
>>342016049
>25fps
I'm guessing the game itself ran at that?
>>
>>342016251
why is sega so incompetent
>>
>>342016062
not to mention it had some pretty advanced features for it's time, namely, the internet connectivity.

Seems like they didnt really market it well enough. At least, not in the US. I dunno.
>>
>>342016321
was supposed to have a fish eye lens effect, its clearly running faster but taking that screenshot made it drop to 0 for a brief moment

i would actually say this needs to run at 25 or lower just because of the disorienting playstyle.
>>
>>342016234
it has to be admitted, Sony was a genius with their technology pushes. They already had the tech industry and made CD players, and later DVD Players (and then Bluray) so they capitalized on that for their console media formats, which then gave the added bonus of giving you a CD Player/DVD Player/Bluray Player. If it wasnt for that aspect of the playstation, I wonder if Sony would have been as successful as they were. Although, I dont think the PS1 was succesful for it's CD Player, really.
>>
>>342016347

Internal fighting. Which exists to this day.

>>342016359

It got tons of marketing. TV, movie theatres, all over the place. People were just told to wait for the PS2 by asswipe store employees.
>>
>>342015829
Chris Senn actually changed his website and forum to get rid of any mention of X-treme some time ago.

Fun fact, he also worked on the Wii U Sonic Boom game.
>>
>>342016903
>Fun fact, he also worked on the Wii U Sonic Boom game.
that's unfortunate
>>
>>342006015
this

https://youtu.be/KbWgUO-Rqcw

followed by this

https://youtu.be/X60mCt6qH20
>>
>>342014887

>biggest backfire in video games

That's pretty safe to say. I'd rank it as the second biggest blunder, right after E.T.

If you removed the E.T. catastrophe, the ENTIRE landscape looks nothing like it does now. Nintendo may not even have been a major competitor. We could have entirely different companies, doing entirely different things. Fuck, Mario may not even be known outside of Weeaboo circles.

If you removed the Nintendo double-crossing Sony event, almost everything changes AGAIN. We would currently have Nintendo and Sony working together, and Sega and Microsoft would likely be working together as well, which means there'd be room for an entirely new company to take over the third tier.

>>342015512

> early reveal and release
> no games

Yup. This goes hand-in-hand with them not pushing the release date back at all, especially to at least TRY and get out a good launch game.

>retailers missed the early shipments

I forgot about this, but this FUCKED the Saturn over in North America so hard it essentially started the slow death of Sega. It wasn't as much of a problem in Brazil and other South American countries, but N.A. just jumped ship to Nintendo or Sony and Europe didn't care to wait either.

>N64/Gamecube
>were they bombs

Yes and no. They were profitable, but Nintendo lost so much market share it was ridiculous.

(end of) 4th Generation
>SNES: 55% of the market
>Genesis: 45% of the market

5th Generation
>N64: 23% of the market
>PS One: 71% of the market
>Saturn: 6% of the market

6th Generation
>Gamecube: 11% of the market
>PS2: 77% of the market
>XBox: 12% of the market

So the products themselves didn't "bomb", but they did cause Nintendo as a whole to "bomb" while they were Nintendo's main focus.
>>
>>342006015
The Saturn launch and the 32X. Sega went from being an absolute juggernaut in the industry to leaving the console market in six years and spending the 15+ years after that as an increasingly lame joke.
32X hurt consumer confidence, but it hurt developers more, who packed up and a: went away from Sega or b: had to spend time porting their shit to the Saturn once the 32X fell through (example: AMOK).
Saturn launch murdered Sega. Early launch alienated developers, so even the ones that moved from the 32X to the Saturn ended up dropping that shit and not looking back. The system was a tad weaker than the PS1 (fillrate was appalling, although it at least has to calculate less shit to get a comparable image to a PS1 game, particularly in not having to spend time rendering polygons for large, open spaces, handing that off to the background processor, CPUs climbed over each other and you really couldn't do effective multiprocessing). The hardware was too complex to really miniaturize (Saturn has a fuck-ton of chips: VDP1 and VDP2 video processors, SCSP sound chip with 68000 CPU, two SH-2 CPUs, a SH-1 on the CD drive controller, and I know I'm missing one or two more).
Sega could have saved the Saturn, too. That's another story.

Even when the DC did everything right (great launch, far more powerful than its competition near release, easy-to-use hardware, widely marketed, loads of games considering how shortly it was on the market), the shadow of the Saturn's failure combined with the fact that the PS2 was about to come out meant that after incredible initial early sales, Sega couldn't afford to really combat the PS2 and push the DC. They couldn't bring in the money.

oh, and in Japan, since the Saturn did well, the DC's earlyish '98 release cut off a bit of developer and consumer confidence there, leaving the Saturn less than 4 years on the market

fun fact: Shenmue's massive budget wasn't an issue, and Yu Suzuki made that shit back ASAP after VF4 came out
>>
>>342017316
Nintendo is the reason Sony is successful.

They were stupid enough to use carts on the N64 which drove away 3rd party support. (losing FFVII and Metal Gear was a mistake)

And then AGAIN with the GameCube using minidiscs which cemented PlayStation as the go-to choice for 3rd party games.

Wii had its power issues.

and so did Wii U.

and so will the NX.

All because of Nintendo's incompetence.
>>
>>342014309
The cartoon has its moments, but the game... I guess they're ex-Naughty Dog employees for a good reason.
>>
>>342017285
no wonder the PS4 won, it cemented victory when this happened.

kek.
>>
>>342016650
I always felt that the PSone won not because it did anything right, but because it didn't do anything really wrong. Nintendo had expensive, limited cartridges and Sega had ludicrous architecture that nobody could make games for.
>>
>>342016654
Sony knew what they were doing, and there was a two year tech gap between the PS2 and the DC.
IIRC, Sony made some wild claims about the PS2's power around that time to entice the idea that waiting for it was a good idea, and Sega's immediate reputation (four years of pretty much solid failure, notwithstanding how great their arcade releases during that time were) wasn't helping.

>>342016650
>Although, I dont think the PS1 was succesful for it's CD Player, really.
It wasn't.

IIRC, there weren't too many early-model PS2s sold because of ability (particularly since the format wasn't quite that common), but once the amount of movies on DVD picked up, it definitely became a major factor.
I know a few people who bought a launch window PS3 because it played Blu-Ray, but I don't think that mattered at all in the long run.

>>342014309
the cartoon is surprisingly decent, if a bit trashy

>>342018317
don't forget that the N64 came out nearly two years later, after Sony already had built up something of a foothold
>>
>>342018317

Smart licensing, too. Sony didn't care what kind of games were on the PS1, as long as they promoted 3D graphics.

Sega had Berbie Stolar's retarded "Five Star System", keeping the best Saturn games in Japan.

And Nintendo...well, they were still censor-crazy. Look at Duke 64.
>>
>>342018546
>because of ability
should be
>because of the ability to play DVDs

didn't finish my whole post before sending it
>>
>>342018546
The PlayStations are the only Blu-Ray players worth buying 2bh.
>>
>>342016650

I was a wee baby back when the PS1 was new and relevant but I doubt it sold much just for CD capability.

That said I can personally attest to the fact that our PS2 was our only DVD player for like a good five years and to this day my PS3/4 are the only things I or anyone else in my family owns that play blu rays. That shit definitely helped push those consoles.
>>
>>342015512
>At least not the Gamecube, which was boosted by it's incredibly strong first party titles like Metroid Prime and Mario Sunshine

Are you...

Are you taking the piss out on the Gamecube? Cause that's not cool man.

Seriously though, Sunshine and Prime had sub-par sales.

Sunshine only sold 6 million. Mario 64, in contrast, sold 12 million. Mario Kart 64 had 10 million sales.

Prime only sold 3 million. OoT sold 8. Pokemon Staduium sold 5.5. DK64 sold 5. SF64 sold 4. Even Yoshi's Story sold 3 million.
>>
>>342014309
And both ended up better than the game
>>
>>342013461
The ideas were there, but affordable tech wasn't.
>>
>>342017895
>And then AGAIN with the GameCube using minidiscs which cemented PlayStation as the go-to choice for 3rd party games.
Im still not sure why, exactly. because games werent as easy to bootleg, basically?

>Wii had its power issues.
first ive heard of it. And wii was the de-facto winner of it's generation, although if only because it managed to grab the casual market and previously non-participant markets (bowling for senior homes, for example)
>>
>>342019147
You're not wrong. They were the only dvd players I used too.
>>
>>342019676
It was designed to be a cartoon first, the game was just made to advertise the show.
>>
>>342019609
>but I doubt it sold much just for CD capability.

It did, but more so for secondary/tertiary reasons.

>CD's could fit a TON more information on them than the carts could.

As a result, more developers flocked over to the PSOne, since now they could focus on making the game they wanted instead of spending half their development time trying to compress information. It was much better to work with for games in general, especially bigger games.

>CD's were cheaper to manufacturer than carts.

Publishers like getting a high return, and the best way to do that is to lower costs. The cost to actually release an average PSOne game was much lower than the cost to release an average N64 game, and a large reason for that was because producing the media the game was written to was much cheaper if you were using CD's, which Sony was. So more publishers were happier to bankroll PSOne games as opposed to N64 games.

So no one really BOUGHT it because it had CD capability, but developers and publishers flocked to it because it had CD capability, and a LOT of people bought it because their favourite developers and publishers flocked to it.
>>
>>342020087
>first ive heard of it. And wii was the de-facto winner of it's generation, although if only because it managed to grab the casual market and previously non-participant markets (bowling for senior homes, for example)

Yes but it scared away triple A 3rd Party developer forever, Wii U suffered the fallout of that decision once Smartphone and Tablets took away the Wii's thunder.

Don't forget the Wii's sale fell off a cliff after its extremely strong start.
>>
>>342020087

>Im still not sure why, exactly. because games werent as easy to bootleg, basically?

Bingo.

Nintendo fears piracy more than a cat fears water.
>>
>>342014309

Sonic Boom didn't "have a TV deal," it's a TV show that had a Video Game and a Comic deal.

I will never defend Sonic Boom as a good game, it just flat out isn't. And for the most part it isn't even funny bad like Sonic 06. But it's not a mainline Sonic game and it wasn't ever meant to be one.

Though I will admit that Sega Incompetenceā„¢ definitely didn't help. They had that 3-game exclusive deal with the Wii U and after they saw how it was doing they forced that game (which was on an engine the Wii U had no support for at the time) onto it to just shovel it off and forget about it.

If sega had either just shitcanned it entirely or put a little more effort into trying to make sure they weren't letting their IP be fucked with by some literally who team then it wouldn't be a shit smear on a franchise that already has a bad reputation, but that all having been said I personally believe Sonic Boom is unfairly lumped into conversations as proof Sega can't make good Sonic games because it's a licensed game based on a TV show first and a Sonic game second.
>>
>>342019623
sales then are not the same as sales now, friend. Metroid Prime was the second best selling game in America in 2002.

both Prime and Sunshine were considered financial successes by Nintendo.

Prime 2 and 3 wouldnt have happened if prime had had 'sub par" sales.

where the hell are you getting that from. I mean, they are both probably the 2 most commonly iconic gamecube titles.

I never had a Gamecube and never cared about Mario and even I remember Sunshine and how popular it was.
>>
>>342020503
and then the industry tries to talk about piracy hurting sales. kek
>>
>>342020087

>Im still not sure why, exactly. because games werent as easy to bootleg, basically?

Smaller discs means:
>Faster loading times
>More difficult to pirate
>More durable discs

Unfortunately, the games can only hold up to 1.5gb, while PS2 and XBox games can hold up to 4.7gb.

The more memory space your system has for games, the less developers hate working on your system. A lot of devs didn't like working with a third of the memory space, so they just stayed with Sony and Microsoft because it wasn't worth making something for the gamecube.

>Wii Power issues
>first ive heard of it

When he said power issues, I'm pretty sure he meant it didn't have the processing power the others had. Though, you're right, the Wii won that gen hands down, so those issues amounted to nothing.
>>
>>342020371

Well yeah but I was mostly talking in the "you can play your music CDs on your PS1" kinda way. I'm not stupid, I know that the PS1 using CDs over cartridges was a major point of why it had more third party support and did better.
>>
>>342020087
The other side of the unique proprietary format was it meant Nintendo themselves were in charge of game production directly. Half the reason they balked at Sony's involvement is they didn't want to cede manufacturing to someone else.
>>
>>342020142
If one plays video games, the PlayStation makes the most sense as a media player.
>>
>>342014038
If your still here the answer is yes.

The game doesn't even work correctly.
>>
Lets not forget the time Sony and Sega almost teamed up. SoA was all for it, but the xenophobic old farts in Japan said "What do they know about making systems?" and shot it dead.

Can you imagine? A system with the library of the Saturn AND the PS1?
>>
>>342020953

Yeah, you're right in that sense.

People bought the PS3 as a blueray player, and lots of people bought the PS2 as a DVD player, but literally no one bought the PS1 as a CD player.

Though it made Monster Rancher fucking awesome.
>>
>>342020830
>The more memory space your system has for games, the less developers hate working on your system. A lot of devs didn't like working with a third of the memory space, so they just stayed with Sony and Microsoft because it wasn't worth making something for the gamecube.

It's not just that they didn't like it, games like
>Grand Theft Auto III, Vice City, San Andreas

>Kingdom Hearts

>Star Wars Battlefront

>Final Fantasy X

>Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3

>Devil May Cry

all couldn't fit on a GameCude disc.

3rd parties + Sony's God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, Killzone, and Gran Trismo kinda made it a blowout in terms of sales.

PlayStation didn't have better exclusives, but it's combination of serviceable exclusives and all major 3rd parties made it so enticing (that and a DVD player)
>>
>>342022039
the decision to use the mini-DVD discs on the GC was staggeringly stupid to me, even back then
Sure, they're cute, but it actively hurt games by giving devs like quarter of the space they'd have on PS2 or Xbox.
>>
File: 1458709288429.png (2 MB, 1118x1013) Image search: [Google]
1458709288429.png
2 MB, 1118x1013
>>342009096
>Matsuno left 2/3 of the way through XII's development because of "health issues"
>they straight up didn't know what to do with XIII until they had to make a demo
>XIV had to be shut down and rebuilt entirely like a year after it came out
>XV's taken ten years and was barely even an actual game until 2011
>just 2 years later it had to be reworked from the ground up because they decided fuck making sequels if just one game's taking this long
The fuck is wrong with this company? The fuck is wrong with me for still somewhat looking forward to XV despite all this shit?
>>
>>342022608
It's legacy interest. You want it to be as good as it once was despite the absence of most everyone involved with making it good. Understandable, but I'd still Redbox it first.
>>
File: gradius4_front.jpg (45 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
gradius4_front.jpg
45 KB, 400x400
>>342006015
Gradius 4
>>
>>342018546
>I know a few people who bought a launch window PS3 because it played Blu-Ray, but I don't think that mattered at all in the long run.

Which is funny, because while the PS3 was expensive as fuck at launch, it was still dirt cheap compared to any Blu-Ray player that was on the market at the time.
>>
>>342012485
over what?
>>
>>342022435

Actually, it made sense when you consider everything behind it.

Nintendo fucked themselves over when they used carts for the N64. The biggest thing was that a LOT of developers jumped ship and didn't care to come back, and Nintendo knew it.

So when Nintendo thought up the Gamecube, they were also thinking of which developers they wanted on their system. There was a bunch of internal talk and data mining, and they came to the conclusion that they didn't really need anyone else. All their best selling games were made by Nintendo's EAD teams. So they figured (and even announced) that Nintendo themselves would be the primary developer.

Now, a console maker primarily gets money from licensing deals, and pushing out a game every so often. But generally, they act like Valve or Apple, in that they take a cut of the 3rd party publisher's sales. When Nintendo decided to be the primary developer, they realized they would NEED to get the money back from the games they push out, and they couldn't afford to risk the games being pirated, as then they would have virtually no income. So preventing piracy became a priority over a number of other things, two of which was ease of outside development and overall game size.

The thing they fucked up with was that having 3rd party developers on your system draws in more players that otherwise wouldn't buy your system. So they were right in that Nintendo's games really do sell the best out of all the games on their systems, and if they had gone with DVD's or sold 150 million, Mario still would've sold the best out of all their games. However, they weren't going to sell a lot of Mario if no one bought the console, and no one bought the console, and a large reason is that if you didn't like Nintendo made games you were shit outta luck - unlike with Sony, where if you didn't like SCE made games you have thousands of other developers to choose from.
>>
>>342023291
Seems to me like Bluray never quite stomped out DVD like Sony hoped it would.

I mean sure, most moviemakers and shit put all the special editions on Bluray, but DVD doesnt seem to be going anywhere
>>
>>342023716
UE3.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Knights#Silicon_Knights_vs._Epic_Games
>>
>>342009519
The N-Gage was literally just too ahead of its time. Look at phoneshit now.
>>
File: 1466335195142.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1466335195142.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>this thread
>>
>>342023853
Bluray worked out as well and probably better than Sony ever could have hoped.

DVD's taking a while to leave because it's the most popular previous legacy format. A changeover takes quite a while - look at Floppy discs. They were common for 40 years, and it took almost 30 years after CD's were invented for Floppy drives to stop being installed into computers. DVD's have only been around for 20 years, and they didn't truly start going even with CD's and VCR's until ~2004-2006 - and CD's are still going to be around for quite a while.

By contrast, Bluray's have been commercially available for only ~10 years, yet they're more popular than DVD's at this point.

Sony scored a home-run with Bluray. To say it's anything but is ridiculous.
>>
>>342024876
VHS died pretty quickly when DVD came around.

i think people just dont really care to notice the differences. its just like DVD but "better quality" which doesnt matter unless your TV is good quality
>>
>>342025027

>VHS died pretty quickly when DVD came around.

I don't think you did your research.

It took 9 years for DVD to take half the marketshare, and 10 years to get more than half, which is pretty much where Bluray is sitting right now.

Somehow, DVD became an anomaly after the 10 year mark and destroyed the rest of the market over the next two years. It's too early to say if Bluray will manage to do that or not (probably not), but at this point it's following DVD's trend (if not a little better), and it will likely take the rest of the market in 2-4 years.
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.