[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Digital Games/Lost Media
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
File: P.T._cover.jpg (71 KB, 437x292) Image search: [Google]
P.T._cover.jpg
71 KB, 437x292
Has there been any effort to preserve this game and make it playable again? Will it end up being the 'silent film' of video games, lost forever but inspiring an entire genre of clones?

Do you still buy digital games after what happened to P.T.?
>>
There are hds with it in it. Preservation won't be a problem. People will just make images of it, or find a way to get the game and install in any ps4.
And yes, i do. Where i live, physical media can be really expensive.
>>
>>342000050
Not sure, but P.T. can be transferred using the PS4 backup utility. Not sure if it requires a license to be associated with a PS4 because it's a demo but if not, you could use the backup utility to make P.T. copies, they'd fit on an 4GB flash drive.
>>
Is the problem that was a digital release, or that it was a console release?

When no hardware exists many games will be lost forever like PT.

If it was on PC we'd be playing pirated copies already.
>>
>>342000571
Even console releases had discs/carts that could be ripped and preserved until someone coded an emulator. Some museums are starting to work on that problem, ensuring old console game remain playable. But a digital only game locked down with licenses and DRM is trickier legal and technological territory. Old film prints for lost movies, or a single copy of an extremely rare game can turn up randomly, but something like this could be lost forever in a worst case. Remember megaupload? Ever had a hard drive fail on you?
>>
>>342000571
a digital release that was subsequently removed from the Playstation store
>>
>got the license on my PS4
>never installed it
damn I should have, my PS4 would be worth like 500 bucks too.
>>
>>342001160
>>342001204
Valve could have removed it from Steam and someone could have just cracked it is my point.

Because it was on console we're fucked until there's an emulator 15 years from now.
>>
I still have it on my ps4
>>
I'm more interested in acquiring and preserving the games that didn't get released like say Star Wars 1313. It's been confirmed they had a playable demo at some point but now It's forever sealed away in a bunker.

Fucking bureaucracy.
>>
>>342000050
The PS4 will be hacked eventually. All it takes is one small mistake in an update
>>
>>342001368
Yeah, I agree that it is a shame but at least the PS4 is starting to get cracked.

Sounds like the Xbox One is going to be even harder to crack, luckily all of its games will be on other platforms.
>>
it was remade in unity, you can easily download and play PT on your pc right now
>>
>>342002160
Recreations are like fan-edits, those Star Wars edits. They're alright, but it's not a replacement.
>>
>>342002160
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko5VAFSIhxM doesn't look that bad either

>>342002372
sad but true
>>
I currently have P.T. installed on my PS4. Is there any way to back it up to an external harddrive so I can never lose it?
>>
>>342001368
I agree to an extent. However, PC games are adopting incredibly strong DRM like Denuvo that makes them uncrackable. PC or not, a digital game is a locked box, and the company you bought it from can repo the key at their discretion.
>>
warning guys, konami is going around and deleting PT copies stored on the HDD. i had mine deleted randomly, and read online that others had similar issues.
>>
You can redownload PT if you've had it on that account before by using pt files online and setting your PC as a proxy on your console.

http://wololo.net/2016/04/10/how-to-redownload-p-t-silent-hills/
>>
Marvel vs Capcom 2
>>
>>342002652
the backup utility, you can use it to transfer it to other PS4s or the same PS4 with a new hard drive
>>
>>342003851
Still physical copies floating around and it's easy to emulate.
>>
>>342001312
You can redownload it, anon. Unless they fixed it.

http://gamexeon.com/forum/threads/cara-jitu-re-download-p-t-silent-hills-tanpa-repot.100015/#post-1435200
>>
>>342004164
What's your PSN so we can play?
>>
>>342004323
pretty sure this doesn't work anymore
>>
>>342004323
It still works
>>
>>342001160
Most games aren't properly preserved and favor compressed audio/video. Unless you have a hook up with a private tracker most Saturn games were treated poorly. Add on the fact that most games were ripped back in the day with ancient technology the accuracy is debatable. Sad thing is nobody cares
>>
Not sure what you mean with
>do you still but digital after what happened with PT?

First of all no one bought the game. It was a free teaser/demo. Second there was no physical edition ever. Third people who got it digitally are the only ones who can play it as of today.

Maybe in the future it will get dumped when ps4s get hacked to play backups.
>>
Why is Sony so adamant about eradicating every trace of this teaser game?
>>
>>342004591
No Intro/Redump are fixing that, so yes, there are some people that care.
>>
>>342004723
>Sony

That would be Konami. And because they have no intention of making silent hills, and they canned kojima who was froniting it.
>>
>>342004704
You'd still spend money on a product after watching a clear demonstration of how it can be erased? You can't keep all of those 50gb games on your hard drive forever.
>>
>>342004863
Good. Kojima's a hack.
>>
>>342004958
Nice meme
>>
File: SHUT IT DOWN.jpg (104 KB, 537x319) Image search: [Google]
SHUT IT DOWN.jpg
104 KB, 537x319
>>342004997
There's a reason Konami gave him the boot
>>
>>342000050
>Has there been any effort to preserve this game and make it playable again?
Yes. Loads of people still have it on their PS4, and whenever they get around to cracking it and whenever in the distant space future they can emulate it P.T. will be freely available to all.

Thing is by that point there'll be a few hundred clones and one or two that are better and last longer than thirty minutes so there'll be no point to playing it beyond wanting to be partially involved in the original fucking meme of a walking simulator it was to begin with.
>>
>>342000050
I still have it on my console, going to wait until it's worth a lot and sell it yate
>>
>>342004863
That's very vindictive on their part. It's like they're sacrificing all their IPs on the altar of pachinko.
>>
>>342005120
Yeah and there's a reason Sony aquired him for exclusivity shortly after. Konami is done with AAA games because the new president sees more money elsewhere.
>>
>>342005350
Konami saw the downward spiral the blockbuster entertainment industry was in and wanted out. You can't fault them for that, but their treatment of past games, keeping them playable, is disgusting, as was their employee abuse.
>>
>>342005690
There is no downward spiral, konami just wants that easy gambling money. MGSV was flying off the shelves.
>>
>>342002502
How did I not know this existed, did he actually rip models from the ps4 version?
>>
File: SCM - Asians.png (699 KB, 858x591) Image search: [Google]
SCM - Asians.png
699 KB, 858x591
>>342005960
>MGSV was flying off the shelves.
MGS4 sold more than V in the first month and MGS4 was a PS3 exclusive while V was available on 5 different platforms.
>>
>>342000050
No because its on console and Sony has total control of whether or not its playable.

Welcome to the future you chose, peasants.
>>
>>
>>342000571
Its the combination of the two.

Digital PC releases and physical console releases don't have this problem.
>>
>>342006523
This isn't /x/
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.