[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question for /v/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: images (7).jpg (10 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images (7).jpg
10 KB, 259x194
Is it possible for a game to have an extremely good gameplay mechanic but be total shite in other areas such as graphics, level design, story and still be good a good game?
What matters more?

1. A game having good gameplay

or

2. A game being fun/entertaining even if the gameplay is mediocre?
>>
>>341992317
>platinum games in a nutshell
>>
A game can't be fun if it has bad gameplay so the former is implicitly more important.
>>
>>341992317
Level design factors heavily into how well a game plays. If the level design is shit then you're severely restricted in what sort of games you can do well. Nothing else really matters though except for sound design and animation quality(it doesn't need to look or sound good, it just needs to properly convey the state of the game to the player).
>>
>>341992317
>tetris
>any fighting game ever

I rest my case.

>>341993214

You are such a newfag that you don't even remember the old days before games had levels- AKA 50% of the NES library and nearly all Arcade games from that time period.
>>
>>341993427
Tons of old games had effort put into their level design, especially if they were platformers or schmups. The only genres that never had any major focus on level design were fighting games and beat em ups. Do you think the placement and arrangement of elements to complement the mechanics of the game is unimportant in something like Galaga or Castlevania?
>>
>>341992317
It's the same as any other medium, it's situational.

What you need to look for is how all the pieces fit together and how well the whole services the primary objective of the game. I'm reading a satirical novel right now that throws lots of characters at you with next to no description of what any of them look like or do while they're talking. It gets frustrating, but the comedy is on-point and it's easy enough to tell which character is which through context, so I'm able to overlook it and I consider it both enjoyable and successful at its main goal - in other words, good.
>>
she was cute when she was younger, everyone had a crush on her :(
>>
>>341993971
you are still thinking too new school. How about Asteroids, Missile command, Joust, Space invaders, Duck Hunt, ect?
>>
>>341995141
You were allowed to like school girls back then as well
>>
>>341995445
You still are, you're just not allowed to post about it awkwardly on social media.
>>
>>341992317
who is this semen demon
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.