[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MMOs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: wow2-400.jpg (76 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
wow2-400.jpg
76 KB, 500x375
Are MMOs a dead genre? If so, will they recover?
>>
They will never recover. The appeal of MMOs for the mass market was that they were games that they could experience and explore with friends or places where they could make new friends.

MOBAs pretty much replaced them since they don't require as much of a time investment, and the competitive aspect allows people to show off their skills.
>>
>>341935413
Yes
No
>>
>>341935413
No it's not fucking dead. Are you telling me people don't like the feeling of teaming up with 25 other players taking down huge bosses in raids?

The best feeling in gaming is beating a hard raid in MMO's.
>>
Once the ideology of the average player in an mmo went from "lets do cool shit and adventure" to "what? I dont get any tokens for more gear? i aint doing that"

It was over.
>>
>>341935731
>>341935731
I agree but I don't think that means the genre is doing well
>>
got the weirdest though about blizzard cutting the pvp in wow and modiyfying it to a moba and selling it on consoles or im just baked as fuck

/killthread
>>
You can't recover a genre that servers no purpose anymore. Online gaming is the norm and games like the Division are far more appealing to the masses.
MMO's are yesterdays news.
>>
>>341935937
>Heroes of the Storm
>>
>>341936172
>The Memevision
>appealing
Reddit ----->
>>
>>341937964
Games LIKE it, not it specifically.
>>
>>341935413
Like a typical autist, you are confusing WoW with a genre.

World of Warcraft is dead and it will never recover.

The MMO genre is alive and well.
Guildwars 2 is still a winner and there are many upcoming big players in the scene, including a new showing from the guys behind Dark Age of Camelot; Camelot Unchained.
>>
File: ohayou__dark_saber.png (119 KB, 594x483) Image search: [Google]
ohayou__dark_saber.png
119 KB, 594x483
>>341935413
They'll continue to be pumped out because there's always a market for MMO starved players. The audience for the next big MMO is fucking legion.

Thanks to WoW though, particularly today's WoW, almost all of them are going to just mindlessly use WoW as a template.
That means overwhelmingly singleplayer, cross server matchmaking, and a theme park questing experience all the way to level cap with a retarded story that treats you like a chosen one. Everyone in the industry just assumes all MMO players are completely retarded and cater to this projected idea of an audience when they should just be trying to make a good game.

This assumption about the MMO audience is why games that try to break way from the theme park formula end up being shit failures as well.
Black Desert, for example. It had all these amazing features to make it a true sandbox ripe with opportunity for player politics and turmoil, with challenging party PvE content saturated everywhere in between. Then somewhere along the line some higher ups decided it was too risky and dumbed it down to be safe, mindless killbox with a cash shop that milks you dry.
>>
File: 1436048389924.jpg (149 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
1436048389924.jpg
149 KB, 612x612
>>341938548
>Guildwars 2 is still a winner and there are many upcoming big players in the scene, including a new showing from the guys behind Dark Age of Camelot; Camelot Unchained.
>>
>>341935413

MMOs are something you need to play with other people to enjoy. As long as you're playing with people, the game is fun forever.

I mean shit, fuckin Maplestory still has a strong community. Runescape has lasted close to 20 years.

I think any MMO with a strong foundation is capable of living forever.
>>
>>341935413
Yes, no.
MMOs are universally awful.
>>
>>341939003
WoW clones =/= MMOs
>>
>>341939225
Sorry pal, there isn't a single good MMO, WoW-inspired or not.
They all suffer from serious problems of one nature or another.
>>
>tfw your favorite/nostalgia/etc MMO devs refuse to fix their game even when its so simple
>>
>>341935413
A huge amount of games nowadays have great and robust online modes. Every person nowadays has social media.

Put those two things together and MMOs become a niche product like they were in the early 00s.

The US has pretty much given up on MMOs while SK and China continue to pump out derivative clones that overpromise and under-deliver.

The golden age of MMOs is long past. If you didn't play from 2000~2010 then you missed out.

MMOs were by far my favorite type of games during that period. They were pretty much all I played. But by 2010 the industry had largely incorporated online into everything and social media was blowing up... plus MMO devs kept releasing shitty games and even worse, ruining already good MMOs with unneeded and unwanted patches/expansions. Those are the reasons why I dropped the genre and moved onto MOBAs/Online FPS/etc
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.