[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I the only person here who thinks MGSV was a great game? Surely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 12
Am I the only person here who thinks MGSV was a great game? Surely it becomes shit after episode 31, but up until then the game is great, and well worth the asking price. Some people like to spout the "unfinished" word around a lot, but honestly would you do it if we didn't know the game had cut content in the first place? Chapter 1 offers more content than most AAA games nowadays, and I don't see people bringing that up. If you don't like the game just because of the twist you're a faggot and not a MGS fan to begin with.
>>
>I think MGSV is a great game, who is with me?
Positive phrasing which invites participation by other people.

>Am I the only person here who thinks MGSV was a great game?
Negative phrasing which instantly puts any respondents on the defensive.

Furthermore
>Am I the only person here who thinks
No matter how this sentence ends, the answer is "no". Do not waste your time writing questions for which we all already know the answer.

Here is your (you). Cherish it.
>>
>>341910425
Why the passive aggressive comment? Can we talk about the game instead?
>>
I'm with you. I loved it and continue to play it since beating it. The story was anticlimactic, but whatever. I have fun playing it.
>>
File: beaned.png (91 KB, 282x395) Image search: [Google]
beaned.png
91 KB, 282x395
>>341910425
Haha get beaned, shitsniffer
>>
Second best Metal Gear game. No coincidence that a ton of people that pretend MGS V is bad are the same kind of fags that defend MGS 4
>>
>>341910425
Maybe his intention was not to get a yes or no answer, but to start a discussion on MGSV to hear our opinions of it.

The gameplay is 10/10. Looking at the story, even without the "unfinished" perspective, it's shit.

It's one thing to have something be ambiguous and it's another thing altogether to bring up a plot point and do absolutely nothing with it. Liquid left with Sahelanthropus and somehow ended up with a shittier version of it in MGS1, Venom as a character gets absolutely no development due to the cop out at the end as well as not having any impact on the future games at all, and a lot of the lore of the previous games was retconned to the depths of hell.

Quiet was cool boss fight and Sahelanthropus was alright, but the Skulls were straight up bullet sponges. All the tension gained from their appearance is not only spoiled by the "Featuring: The SKULLS Parasite Unit", but the fact that you can reflex mode all of their attacks and they'll slowly walk around to let you shoot them. Fucking meaningless addition to the game.

Skullface as a villain was dogshit. He invalidated the conflict between Big Boss and Zero for one, and he's a completely one dimensional big bad. The cutscene where you slowly ride in the back of a truck with him while he explains his evil plan was cringe worthy and a waste of the main theme of the game.

That's off the top of my head.
>>
>>341912321
This all being said, I enjoyed it.
It's just a bit frustrating that the series ended on this note, especially considering the hype leading up to it.
>>
Really all I needed was that single cut mission. Explains the 3rd strain, and sahelanthropus, and eli. Could've also explained the Truth mission with him bonking his head and leading into the reveal.

All the parts I'm bugged most about are in that single cut mission.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-18-18-34-27.png (1009 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-18-18-34-27.png
1009 KB, 1920x1080
>>341912321
Sorry, but you pinged my autism. Venom is the main bad guy in the original msx metal gear game.
>>
I think I really enjoy the open wandering and random murder sprees. It's not open world exactly, but I really love just wandering around getting into shit.

I think the concept of the arc from Peace Walker to Ground Zeroes to V is fantastic in its premise. You're introduced to a child who's a warped weapon of war that doesn't want to admit she just wants to be a normal girl. She gets fucked up, abducted, you fail to save her. There's a reveal of V, with the story centering around his hallucinations of a dead girl that he, a medic and now a supposed legend, couldn't save. The whole story is about trying to live up to the expectations you have for yourself that the world creates, including Paz trying to exist as a weapon, V trying to live up to a myth by creating it, and ultimately everyone failing to hold onto what they actually value as a result.

But V's story wasn't handled well. Both because of the format of the game and because Hideo focused on the wrong elements because he's too married to the format. The weird spacing of anything important in the game and the things that have actual character importance being optional really harm the narrative.

So, I like the video game. I don't like the story's presentation. I love the idea of the story. Could have been much better, but as a game it's still good.
>>
Gameplay is fantastic. Best in the series.
Story is great. This is Metal Gear Solid 2 again, ten years from now everyone will be talking about how MGSV's history was ahead of its time.
Mission design is mediocre.
9/10.
>>
I love it. The narration is lacking but I 100%ed it after 150h of playing.
>>
>>341910123
It is unfinished

There were guard dogs
A metal gear under the base
Missions in old mother base and camp omega and a flashback to what really happened on that helicopter
A ladder climb a la MGS3
Sally being in an underground tunnel from serak power plant and connected to OKB0
Animal conservation area
Chapter 3 which was in development
Chapters 4 and 5, leaked by Japanese sources only to be a concept and the 5th having Venom awake in the hospital again after building Miller's outer heaven to see it was all a dream
I can go on

MGSV had a great chapter 1. A shitty chapter 2. Bad team based online pvp but fun fob invasions for trolling

It's pretty much a 3.5/5
>>
>>341914103
He survives the blast so none of this shit makes sense. Game is revolved around lies, hallucinations, and PTSD. It's basically us creating our own canon story
>>
>>341914465

>how MGSV's history was ahead of its time.

In what way? I can't think of a single way it was ahead of its time, unlike MGS2's story.
>>
It's an unfinished side story that was intended to soft reboot the franchise with the fox engine till Konami fired Kojima for being the absolute madman he is.

I LOVE it. And yes, I'm an oldfag mgs fan who didn't develop a hernia over the loss of hayter or it not being "Darth boss the simulator: he kills younglings".

I keep hoping one day we'll get episode 51 or konami will do what Sony do with spider man and allow the original creator to make them profit. A part of me is glad kojima I moving on to death stranding. Poor man has been dying since mgs2 to make an original game.
>>
>>341910624
>>341910123
>>341911070
>>341914465
>>341914617

As these guys have also said.

I fucking loved MGSV. I wish Konami were not cunts and somehow released the for engine for free to work on just like the Unreal Engine.

I could then see all of the MGS games being remade in that glorious engine.

Aside from the obvious cut content my only annoyances with MGSV are lack of cut scenes/snake venom dialogue and it ends very abruptly.
>>
>>341914694
>All that wasted potential
Konami should just end themselves desu
>>
>>341910123
Nah it was great. Most of the people who are mad spent months wanking over the trailers and speculating with other like minded folks.
>>
I have 155 hours on it. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a good game.
>>
>>341910123

I enjoyed pretty much the whole game except for that shitty ending.

It is fun. Has plenty of positive traits. The real shame is that it'll never get polished further.

Personally, I find myself wanting games similar to it. It scratched the open world itch I had, at the time, and it wasn't a game about scurrying around a big lifeless map collecting orbs or some shit.

A lot of open world games are 90% collectathon. I don't personally MIND that if the game is still pretty fun but it's nice to find a game or two free of that shit.
>>
>>341910123
Since children steal Pequod, the English parasites, and MGSalanthropus and no character mentions or cares it is obvious that the game is unfinished.

Most criticisms of the game come from the lack of difficulty, dumb ai, empty world, minimal level design, pointless missions, 150 copypasta side missions, Director Kojima spoiling every mission with credits, etc.

Look at Ground Zeros. Better level design, better side-missions with interesting dialogue and events, harder difficulty, and better cutscenes.
>>
>>341910123
11 chapters in and I still have no idea what the fuck is going on. Thanks for not including cutscenes, making big boss autistic and quiet like the protag from Drive and giving me nothing but fucking cassette tapes to listen to hackjima.
>>
>>341916701
>dumb ai

This is only true for the first 8 missions of the game.
>>
Fultoning people removes the downside to nonlethally eliminating someone. Now they can't wake up, and your moralfag play style has no downside.

That and all the fucking waiting and management for a few dumb upgrades just really put a damper on things for me.

When it was good it was 10/10, but it wasn't good often.
Spoken from someone who's not a huge MGS fan.
>>
>>341917446
Technically, fultoning puts you at a bigger risk until you get the wormhole, and fills your base with worthless little shits. Not to mention soldiers from rank A onwards react to fultons and will shoot them down successfully at least 40% of the time.
>>
It still is best game on next current whatever gen. Also trailers had more story then game still amazing game im just pissed
>>
>>341914694
Where did you get info about chapter 4 and 5?
>>
Yes, it was great. Still felt like it was missing stuff, especially for a MGS game.

>indoor environments
>boss fights
>humor

also shitty story and Mother Base was pretty pointless
>>
Plenty of people love MGS5. Only objective problem with the game is that there is no chapter 51 besides a cutscene of what it would have been. Fuck Konami, though. We will never see a Contra, Gradius, or Mystical Ninja again unless it is in the form a pachinko machine.
>>
The only redeeming feature of mgsv's story is my head cannon where venom really is big Boss, just dissociative and with hallucinogenic ptsd. Ishmael obviously fake, ocelot maybe to
>>
>>341910123
>empty world with the same old bases copy pasted
>terrible storyline
>Quiet was a mistake
>still for some reason uses fucking tapes from peace walker as a means to tell story instead of codec calls
>multiplayer was dead in the water
>FEATURING THE SKULLS ruining any sort of surprise during a mission
>Chapter 2 was a fucking trainwreck of "replay this mission but NOW you don't have any equipment or it's on extreme mode"
>unfinished story with no resolution to Eli and his buddies stealing Sally
>no Chapter 3

The gameplay was fucking great; shame that the game itself is unfinished and the storyline was terrible. The story would have been better if we actually got what the trailers were showing us; a story about how Big Boss becomes the villain in his pursuit for revenge. Instead we got a story about a full-blown autist who thinks he's Big Boss and never goes nuclear.
>>
>>341914694
>chapters 3, 4 and 5
>it took Kojima 5 years and $80million+ to make only 30% of a game he had planned out
>in comparison, MGS4 took only 3 years and cost about $60million

Why do people say Konami is at fault again?
>>
>>341918046
Also it needed some sort of GTA star wanted system. You can just sprint away from danger and you'll escape unharmed every time because they don't chase you. Also would have been nice if the territories were split between different factions that fought each other.
>>
>>341914850
>survives the blast
>real big Boss is put in a coma after metal gear 2
>>
>If you don't like the game just because of the twist you're a faggot and not a MGS fan to begin with.

The MGS fans are the ones who really disliked the game; the newcomers are the ones who are Kojima dick riders.

MGS V was bad; deal with it, you MGS "fan"
>>
>>341914694
Source on all this cut content please
>>
>>341914694
>only to be a concept and the 5th having Venom awake in the hospital again after building Miller's outer heaven to see it was all a dream

This is even dumber than what we got.
>>
It's a good AAA game but it's a bad Metal Gear game
It lacks the spirit of MGS
>>
>>341918560

Because they don't want to admit that Kojima fucked up. It was in development for five years and what we got was clearly a rushed and unfinished game. The majority of Chapter 2 content was rehashed missions. The only good part of Chapter 2 (which happened to be fucking great) was Shining Lights, Even In Death. The rest of it was terrible.
>>
>>341918941
Not him but I played the whole series on release and I thought V was fun. Yeah the story was mediocre but the story has being mediocre since 4. The series story ended just fine with 4, we didn't need anything else. At least V had some decent gameplay.
>>
File: MGSV-The-Phantom-Pain-Ash-Face.jpg (80 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
MGSV-The-Phantom-Pain-Ash-Face.jpg
80 KB, 1000x563
MGSV was the best disappointment I ever played.

It hurts because I tried so long after release to convince myself it was just as good as I'd hoped it would be, but eventually I had to let the scales fall from my eyes. The gameplay was fantastic and the main reason I even bothered to complete the horrible, repetitive mess that was Chapter 2. I wanted more of it. There were some mistakes (why can't I go into missions sans equipment entirely?) that seemed like no-brainers but for the most part I had the time of my life playing the non-recycled missions.

However, the story was possibly the most mishandled thing in video game history and I honestly have a hard time wrapping my brain around why that is. All the pieces were in place: PW/GZ set the stage for the ultimate revenge story with the destruction of Mother Base, Snake was placed at the beginning of the path leading to him becoming a warmongering child-soldier-enlisting monster, the villain was established and menacing... the backstory to MG1&2 was already written. All they had to do was go for it.

But... they didn't. It was nothing. It all came to nothing.

If Kojima's intention was to make me feel a phantom pain akin to loss of limbs, then he did it. Watching the trailers makes me feel like I lost something very special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJVxPAiB7as

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMyoCr2MnpM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03nUMw7japI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krc1t4HU8GI
>>
>>341914465
>This is Metal Gear Solid 2 again
no
I doesn't even have 1/5 of MGS2 deepness
>>
>>341919529
>Kojima intentionally fucked it up to make us feel a phantom pain

Are people really this unwilling to accept that just maybe Kojima fucking blew it?
>>
>>341917446
Regardless of fulton you can permanently neutralize someone nonlethally by hold them up on the ground.
>>
Its a great game but it had so much fucking hype that it was never going to not be a massive disappointment
>>
File: bigboss.png (1 MB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
bigboss.png
1 MB, 900x600
>>341919529
Why would Snake enlist Child Soldier? Snake is not a fucked up soldier you know, Big Boss was never fucked up..
>>
>>341919089
>It's a good AAA game
It is still a bland game filled with repetitive crap to compensate for the fact that is unfinished.

Only thing that makes MGSV better than most Ubisoft rehashes is the fact that controlling Massive Medic is fluid and bug free. Everything else about the game is on the same level.
>>
>>341919529
This. The trailers happen to present a better story than the actual story.
>>
>>341919724

I said "if". As in, if part of the trailers' heavy focus on "loss" was intentional, then it was a success in that regard.

In my opinion, I think any meta-depth akin to MGS2 is purely accidental and only because the game's title is "the Phantom Pain". I believe Kojima wanted to tell the story like it was in the trailers, but focused too much energy in the wrong places, ran out of time and money, and tried clumsily to bring it all together in the ending with the "you are and have always been Snake" meta-twist.
>>
>>341919824
Big Boss enlisted child soldiers in MG2. Hell, Venom literally wanted to turn Liquids little shitter brigade into soldiers too but Kaz's childhood trauma prevented it.

There's honestly not really anything wrong with it either, they just took war orphans and gave them better living conditions while still fighting
>>
>>341919907
Not really, even level design for pretty much all mission areas still tops anything Ubishit has made.

You can't really compare MGSV with their shitty frog games, anyways. If anything, it's MGS meets Hitman. It's also one of the best stealth games that's come out ever since Blood Money, but that speaks more about the overall status of the genre.
>>
>>341910123
After the effect has worn off, I would say I'm dissapointed because there's no memorable moments from the game, but the fact that I put in almost 200 hours into METAL GEAR would imply differently. It's not a good "game", but it's an extremely fun experience
>>
>>341919824

Have you ever played the games? A big part of Big Boss in MG was how he took orphans of war, trained them to be soldiers, and regurgitated them to the battlefield.
>>
it IS a great game but one of the greatest disappointments in vidya
>>
File: 21017814_20130705122213307.jpg (16 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
21017814_20130705122213307.jpg
16 KB, 300x300
>>341920208
anyway fuck Liquids he's an annoying little pointless brats i hated him all the game and he must be worse in MGS1 to be like that
>>
>>341919824

Fuck off. You don't know shit about Metal Gear.
>>
>>341920328
I didn't played MG2 or 1
>>
>>341920536

Then go fuck yourself.
>>
File: 1435376797896.png (306 KB, 593x540) Image search: [Google]
1435376797896.png
306 KB, 593x540
>>341920580
Stay mad, nostalgiafag.
>>
File: be6.jpg (13 KB, 224x216) Image search: [Google]
be6.jpg
13 KB, 224x216
>>341920536

Then maybe you shouldn't ramble off about shit you have no experience with?
>>
>>341920645
mgsv is shit and you know it
>>
File: 1447895981422.jpg (383 KB, 1165x1155) Image search: [Google]
1447895981422.jpg
383 KB, 1165x1155
>>341920645
>Nostalgiafag
>MG2 is still better than most modern stealth games

No, seriously, go fuck yourself.
>>
File: 1459785487667.jpg (6 KB, 238x192) Image search: [Google]
1459785487667.jpg
6 KB, 238x192
>>341920645
>"duhhhh why would big boss do something like recruit child soldiers?"
>"it was literally a plot point in MG2"
>"oh I didn't play that"
>>
>>341911070
I loved mgs4 and 5 and the only thing that bothered me about 5 was the lack of mgs4 style cutscenes.
>>
>>341914850
Kojima confirmed that the entire series is just the daydreams of Chico, who is autistic.
>>
>>341921263

Man, I fucking hate that Chico died and all that was said about it was one or two lines via Codec. So fucking dumb. Not to mention Amanda/Strangelove didn't even get a mention.
>>
>>341919091
About 2 to 3 of those 5 years were in creating one of the be-all, end-all engines of video gaming history so that it wouldn't suffer the slump MGS4 did

Kojima just probably needed a stronger leash to have kept the budget down

>>341919649
Most of MGS2's deepness came from it suffering from being rushed as well. There were clearly a lot of concepts and ideas going into that game that didn't make it and even had a scene removed due to 9/11

The reason Vamp was bullshit was because he's like a composite of three different characters
>>
File: Dude gray fox lmao..png (234 KB, 578x626) Image search: [Google]
Dude gray fox lmao..png
234 KB, 578x626
>>341919973
My headcanon that Para-Medic was the one who impregnated herself with the perfect clone of Big Boss for her own personal reasons still stands with how little focus Solidus gets in the series
>>
>>341921679
You expected a crippled child to survive a helicopter crash?
>Amanda/Strangelove didn't even get a mention
They did. Strangelove had an entire ten minute monologue.
>>
>>341921679
>Not to mention Amanda/Strangelove didn't even get a mention

We literally listen to Huey murdering her
>>
>>341910123
>would you do it if you didn't know the game had cut content

What are you even getting at? You just have to play the game to realize that it is missing the last chapter. You don't have to analyze it at all.
MGSV was obviously going to be the last MGS game that had any connection to the main story line. Which means that if you saw the kids steal Sahelanthropus you would know that something was missing. Why would they just leave that part out? They didn't finish the loop of the story properly, nor did they actually show Big Boss's descent to madness. It was Venom Snake's story we were told, not Big Boss's. They told us the game would be about Big Boss, but they gave us jack shit instead. Seriously, I could not give less of a shit about Venom Snake.

Apart from broken promises, and a failure to follow the franchise's established mood and theme, the gameplay was actually really fun. I loved the gameplay, but I hated the way they made the open world. There weren't enough interior levels at all, which was a real deal breaker.
>>
>>341922940
It's not missing a chapter, just one mission.
>>
>>341923336
That fact actually makes it worse than it already was.
>>
Everyone agrees that MGSV is a great game, only that it's missing 4/5th of of the actual game
>>
>>341910123
>If you ignore the shit it isn't shit
Fuck off OP
>>
>>341923954
The "cut content" would have been completely garbage only retards really wanted any more of the kids.
>>
How would you feel if Ground Zeroes was Chapter 1 and the real Chapter 1 was Chapter 2 and everything was sold as one game instead of the 2 releases we got?
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.