[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What Total War game should I get?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10
File: Shogun_2_Total_War_box_art.jpg (113 KB, 300x412) Image search: [Google]
Shogun_2_Total_War_box_art.jpg
113 KB, 300x412
I have some extra money, so which Total War game do you guys think is worth it?
>>
Medieval 2 is the best game in the series.
Just install Stainless Steel mod and enjoy the series at it's peak.
>>
Shogun 2 and Fall of the samurai are the best.
>>
Fall of the Samurai is easily the best because of the wide variety of units and the fun they bring. Other than that, it really depends what setting you dig, as it will affect your enjoyment considerably.
>>
>>341848290
Fall of the samurai for the best campaign

Warhammer for best battles

Medieval2 / Rome for the best mods
>>
>>341848290
That one
>>
File: 1457902584873.png (64 KB, 1004x912) Image search: [Google]
1457902584873.png
64 KB, 1004x912
>>341848290
my favourite is Attila, FOTS, Napoopan and med2 are also very good, empire has a great setting but the game was left unfinished
>>
Rome 1 vanilla is hands down best total war
>>
>>341848290

Just get Warhammer. Fuck all people play anything except Shogun, Rome 2/Attila, and they are dying as Warhammer picks up.

Campaign wise Warhammer is way more fun as well.
>>
File: 196358772072.png (1 MB, 718x1105) Image search: [Google]
196358772072.png
1 MB, 718x1105
>>341848290

Attila & Shogun II
>>
File: 1462305760625.png (517 KB, 736x1426) Image search: [Google]
1462305760625.png
517 KB, 736x1426
>>341849737
attilas announcement was a fun time to be on twg

it was filled with shitposting, but the fun kind, not the ridiculous sea of shit that the threads were drowning in before tww's release
>>
File: tws2_amb.jpg (291 KB, 1024x575) Image search: [Google]
tws2_amb.jpg
291 KB, 1024x575
Shogun 2 + pic related mod = godlike
>>
>>341849485
this the correct answer, but I'd get warhammer just for all the whacky units and whatnot
>>
>>341849485
No, it's pretty shit actually.
>>
I've played every total war game with the exception of warhammer. Spent the most time with rome 1. Rome 2 is a close second
>>
Empire was cool as fuck but had no real depth and was very easy to steamroll everybody, the minor factions revenge mod makes it 10 times better though,

Medieval 2 with stainless steel is fucking amazing, but if you want a more vanilla game kingdoms grand campaign mod is fucking great as well, adds all the factions from the kingdoms expansion to the base game plus the extra units on a bigger map, stainless steel is very historically accurate and has a lot of scripts running for shit like mongol invasions where factions actually try and stop them now, if you like lord of the rings the 3rd age mod is fucking great as well

Napoleon is objectively the best game in the series gameplay wise, but map is quite small and not a lot of freedom

Shogun 2 plus the Fall of the Samurai is fucking great, Napoleon 2 but deeper and set in Japan which puts it down my list because I'm not into weeb history, fun as fuck game though

Rome 1 is a classic and probably most fun for nostalgia fags

Rome 2 had a really rocky start but the emperor edition patched a fuck load of bugs and gave us a free dlc, mods can add and fix then whatever you want, good game imo m80

Never played Attila but it's probably great, seeing how much of an upgrade Napoleon was over Empire, and Warhammer is for spergs who need to stay the fuck off my autism simulators.
>>
Wait like one week for the sale nigga.
>>
>>341851229
You forgot to mention that Shogun 2 introduces a very heavy rock paper scissors system, with incredibly small maps and combat so fast that battles between two twenty unit stacks will last less than five minutes.
>>
>>341851469
Haven't played it since like April 2014, was polished as fuck is all I really remember.
>>
>>341848290

Shogun 2 is great but Warhammer is the best in the series already.

Only downside is you may want to wait for some extra content to be released for Warhammer but I would recommend Attila and WH before Shogun 2 just for the improvements to AI alone.

And don't get me wrong. Shogun 2 is awesome, but the AI is fucking retarded and this renders the game boring as fuck in comparison to the newer titles.
>>
>>341851574
It is incredibly polished and I'm not calling it a bad game, but it did signal the start of CA's turn towards a far more arcadey approach to battles, with all following titles having similarly small battle maps and incredibly fast combat.
>>
File: 1455903778167.png (591 KB, 500x746) Image search: [Google]
1455903778167.png
591 KB, 500x746
>>341848290
Fall of the samurai, easily.
>>
>>341851656
I think it was the engine that was suited to gunpowder battles, melee on it is pure shit and superior on the old medieval 2 engine. Probably on purpose though so Sega can jack off to sales figures
>>
if you're new to total war get shogun 2 and fall of the samurai. after that get medival and empire total war
>>
>>341851745
Tome Cruise: the game is really fucking fun.
Except the AI's naval bombardments. Just STOP
>>
>>341848290
Fall of the Samurai is quite good. Medieval II is great too, plus it has Europa Barbarorum 2.
>>
I enjoyed Shogun 2 and FotS the most, but the game has ungodly loading times that you can't do shit about.
>>
>Play FoS
>every clan can field a 1500 stack every turn
>I can barely pay for peasents with pointy brooms
>By turn 10 I am the only remaining loyalist clan
And that is when I stopped playing TW after beating Rome 1, Medieval 1 and Empire. Seriously it is just plain cheating on their side, they do no even build the required buildings for certain units.
>>
>>341851862
The naval ai in general is terrible
>spams stacks of one to three ships
>sends them on obscure paths you are unlikely to intercept
>bombards everything it can and deals what feels like a lot more damage than it should
>impossible to catch and destroy these tiny fleets because of how absurdly huge the retreat range is
>if you do manage to bring one to battle auto resolve will fuck you over hard like in the pre warscape games
>if you play the battle you get to witness one of the worst AIs the human race has ever created

It really is a shame when so many other aspects of FotS are so great,
>>
>>341848290
Medieval 2 or Warhammer
>>
File: 037.jpg (162 KB, 680x1125) Image search: [Google]
037.jpg
162 KB, 680x1125
>>341852132
>the enemy has 3 shitty boats and no naval tech
>send in my HMS warrior
>meh, autoresolve
>lose, ship sunk
>if I fought it out I wouldnt even have lost hull health
>>
>>341852082

The game is so fucking easy though they could field 8 full stacks and you should still be ending battles with 0 casualties since the AI is so dumb.

Playing Shogun at this point is like pulling teeth for me, it's the same long endless boring cycle of slapping the AI around with archers while they can't even touch you.

The same exact battle every time of just wasting out full stacks that are incapable of fighting back.
>>
>>341852357
The atilla and asshammer AI is really good with cavalry, which I like.
>>
File: 20160331110705_1.jpg (595 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160331110705_1.jpg
595 KB, 1920x1080
>>341852762
>The atilla
Attila AI also blocks streets off when attacking your settlement, it caught me off-guard and I actually managed to lose a siege, which is something that almost never happens
>>
>>341848290
Whichever has the setting that you like the most.
>>
>>341848290
Number 1 rule of TW is; the game that has the most interesting setting is the best game for you

That being said, gameplay wise;

Attila/Warhammer > Shogun 2/Med 2 (modded) > FotS > Rome 2 > Everything Else
>>
>>341853261
it still isn't great at offensive sieges, but that's mostly because defending is just stupidly easy
>hunker up in the tiny fort in the middle of town
>put high defense units to block accesss
>ranged units on walls, let them fire manually at soft targets and cavalry
>hold off hun stacks with just the garrison

a shame sieges in asshammer are a step down
>>
>>341853476

The problem with defending sieges is more the map than the AI I think

Whoevers idea was to put you on a hill with 2 entrances should be shot.
>>
>>341853874
Towns are never going to work

Its either like Napoleon, where the buildings are next to irrelevant, or its TW where the building advantage makes every single defense impossible to lose

I like that they got rid of the towns in Warhammer. I think the only problem is that you cant make your own garrison. The main building should limit the number of garrison units, but the units themselves should be provided by the player/AI at a significantly reduced upkeep cost.
>>
File: 20160401234309_1.jpg (653 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160401234309_1.jpg
653 KB, 1920x1080
>>341853874
>Whoevers idea was to put you on a hill with 2 entrances should be shot.
agreed, you know that one WRE village layout that has a coliseum in the middle? the one everyone hates? defending that one is actually somewhat difficult because of how limited good placement for archers is, you have to actually be a bit proactive with your troops

they need more layouts like that, something that doesnt give such an insane advantage to the defender, because the AI has no idea how to properly attack settlements that do
>>
>>341854258
I think garrisons hit the sort of sweet spot in shogun 2. Strong defensive buildings, very weak garrison. You need an actual army (quite the investment) to properly defend
>>
>>341848698
The more I play these games the more I agree with this opinion. Also, don't forget Third Age mod.
>>
>>341848290
all except rome 2 which some say it was fixed but i highly doubt it played it for some weeks and it was the worst tw game i've ever played
also, all of them are pretty good even the "bad" ones like empire have their strong points but all of them suffer from a shitty AI that hasn't been fixed yet
>>
People saying that Shogun 2 is better than Rome and Medieval 2 are crazy, unless you like a more casualized, easy and arcade TW.

You don't have to worry about bandits, population numbers for recruitment/taxes, sanitation or discontent of cities.

Do you have money? you can build all structures at the same time.
Army to prevent revolts?protect the city from bandits?forget it.
Fight on something that isn't a siege?hard for that to happen when the AI doesn't wait turns to reduce units garrisoned and also because the cities are close to each other.
>>
Is Napoleon or Warhammer good for a beginner?
>>
>>341857768
Napoleon sort of assumes you played Empire already so it as hand holdy but it's fucking great, to start off with gunpowder pick Empire and Britain for comfyness, for swords and shit pick medieval 2 with england or rome 1 with the romans. Not sure about Warhammer.
>>
>>341848290
Steam summer sale is starting on the 22~23, so wait till then
>>
>>341848698
This is pretty much what I recommend.
I like the others, but I stopped playing after shogun because of all the fucking DLC and DRM
>>
>>341852132
>enter naval battle
>enemy ships sit perfectly still in the water, all lined up in a row 150 miles away on the other side of the map
>have to wait a minute on fast forward for your ships to get close
>only once the first shots are fired does the enemy move
Naval battles are fun when the enemy is actually doing something, but more often than not it doesn't.
>>
Shogun 2 is a good start because it's okay unmodded

Medieval 2 and rome 1 sucks unmodded, just the truth.

Fall of the samurai is a lot of fun because it's almost a perfect mix of melee and napoleon 2

Warhammer isn't a bad start either, but it doesn't feel like a total war because it's so arcadey
>>
>>341849415
Attila is a good game, especially with Fall of the Eagles

The performance is just so god damn awful. They really need to port it to dx12 and 64 bit like warhammer
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.