[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i want to open an "arcade": a place where team can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: xs1sdog0n1t5nrtyn8ny.jpg (477 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
xs1sdog0n1t5nrtyn8ny.jpg
477 KB, 1920x1080
i want to open an "arcade": a place where team can train and compete each other in lan events. Or maybe a place where everyone can access and play some vidya with friend in small lan tournament.

Is there any place like this? How they monetize?
>>
bump come on i need help
>>
>How they monetize?
food and drink
which kids get all over the machines

the reason you can't find arcades is because they're basically not sustainable models for business anymore
>>
>>341796265
i dont want a simple "arcade", i want build something like a "lan house", a place you go to play quality competitive games against other, maybe a place where you train with your team and organize small tournament

is more like a arcade of pc games: csgo, dota lol and so.

but are the people interested in this? how can i monetize something like that?

or maybe is better to just being an event organizer and rent the local every time i wanna set up a torunament?
>>
I used to go to a little lan cafe to play cs 1.6 and warcraft III... those were the good ol days. about 50 dells in a little storefront. They charged $ per hour to play games in the store, also sold card games / had weekly tournaments.

a place like that could be financially viable in the right area. you need the initial investment capitol for the storefront and the computers. Would be good in a place with cheap rent but a decent amount of nerd types around, college town might work
>>
File: 1465058193224.gif (175 KB, 707x675) Image search: [Google]
1465058193224.gif
175 KB, 707x675
>>341796810
There were a lot of placeslike the one you describe here in argentina back in the 00's but they all closed after Internet got cheap. Now, there's just a few (if any), all operated by chineese and mostly still on business because they sell drugs and have fap booths

The only way to keep it clean is to cater to a very niche (and rich) public. Make a cozy place when you can make a closed LAN match and grab a N64 with your pals on a couch. Make it full on restaurant and only allow 20 people each night, at most, and very very expensive.
>>
>>341797343
do you remember how much was per hour? and how to manage kids that wanna play on the same pc? there was a maximum time for each?

how long the shop last? is closed now?

sorry for all the question but is an idea that i have so much in my mind now... i also thinked about a "cinema mode" for major e-sport event: charge a ticket that grant u food, drink and a place to sit for watch the international, esl and so on. is a good idea IYHO?
>>
>>341794761

Dude I fucking loved arcades back in the day. They still kinda exist in bigger cities in sort of lan-style like you said, but the issue is that most gamer nerds have the money to plug a one-time fee on a console and then buy a $50 game that they can play as much as they want, even with friends without having to leave their chair.

I wanna play cool fighting games on a stick without having to buy a stick myself as much as anyone, but I just don't think it's feasible without bringing something new to the table.
>>
>>341797796
>do you remember how much was per hour?
The one I know was about 2.50 per hour.

>and how to manage kids that wanna play on the same pc?
You don't let them. They can reserve a section or a few computers but if the one they like it's occupied, they'll have to wait.

>there was a maximum time for each?
Nope but if they wanted to stay overnight, they had to present parental permissions and pay a special fee.

>how long the shop last? is closed now?
lasted about 4 years and yes, it's closed now.
>>
>>341798261
how about focussing on the event?

rent the local every time, every time in different place and set up tournament / cinema mode?
>>
>>341796810
>i dont want a simple "arcade", i want build something like a "lan house", a place you go to play quality competitive games against other, maybe a place where you train with your team and organize small tournament
So basically you want to sell people their own homes? Because that's where you go for something like that, you go to your friend's place.
>>
>>341794761
A fucking arcade pizza place would be fucking fantastic.
>>
>>341794761
There's a couple places around me that do exactly this.

One is at the mall. It's smaller, and caters specifically to the console Call of Duty crowd. They charge for console use by the hour, and they also have a side shop where you can get your console of choice repaired or customized. I think it's part of a chain.

The other place is independently owned, and it actually started life as a Tabletop game shop. They have consoles and PCs that they charge per head, so instead of $10 for an hour of play, it's $10 per person per game.
They also cater to the Magic the Gathering and Warhammer 40K crowds, both of which are MASSIVELY lucrative.
The place also has regular game tournaments, which are streamed live.
They basically have no qualms about getting cash any way they can
>>
>>341797796

The place I was talking about is closed now, it was in suburban Philadelphia and I forget the prices.

check out this place OP http://clutcharena.com/denver-lan-center-locations/

I saw it when I was in denver a cpl months ago, didnt go in but it looks awesome.
>>
>>341798728

>an area full of fat nerds who eat pizza and then get all that grease on the arcade sticks / buttons

yeah sounds great buddy
>>
File: z_f78d1d22.jpg (178 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
z_f78d1d22.jpg
178 KB, 1280x960
>>341794761
>>341796810
We have these things in Russia since 00s, cubicles with pcs running software that restricts windows environment to just vidya, owner charges by the hour, lots of loud kids playing dota and cs, some occasional bums renting a pc to take a nap.
Snack bar is a must, you also need to have a bathroom (that they will fuck up every now and then) and a place where they could smoke (because they will)
>>
Op here,

to everyone: pls keep posting, i need every good idea i can read here.

I'll go to bed but tomorrow i will read all the replays / ideas.

Please keep posting, thanks to everyone and goodnight
>>
>>341799558
Peripherals are always dirty in places like this, they need to be cleaned by staff several times a day. Some visitors bring their own kb+mice+mousepad, it's considered cool among the gamer crowd, kids like to show off their sick mlg gear
>>
>>341796810

You mean a Internet cafe? Where do you live that you've never heard of them. They usually charge $1-3 an hour for PC usage and sell snacks/hardware on the side.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.