[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /v/, here's my problem. I started making a game.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: An hero.gif (3 MB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
An hero.gif
3 MB, 250x188
Alright /v/, here's my problem.

I started making a game. I have 3d models all created, several levels designed, more than half the game is done. It's been 8 months of work with very little sleep. I've blown off family members and a (now ex) girlfriend along with many opportunities to be social for this game. This is all I've done and I can't do it again. It's like my child. Today, I remembered that all of the artistic parts of the game (backgrounds, character models and animations, etc.) were all created with software I pirated because I'm a poorfag. How fucked am I /v/?
>>
>>341643275
>Buy software
Problem solved
>>
You're never gonna get it published anyway so who cares?
>>
>>341643367
I don't have the money.
>>
>>341643420
Get a job.
>>
>>341643503
I have a job, minimum wage. I can barely support myself.
>>
>>341643275

Import into freeware, like from Maya to Blender.

Otherwise, suck it up and remake your shit in freeware. You already fucked your social life for it for 8 months, whats another 8 months for passion?
>>
>>341643621
It's impossible to come out at 0 or negative at the end of the month, if you can support yourself. Save up the bits and pieces.
>>
>>341643763

>Impossible

Sounds like someone isn't American.
>>
>>341643898
Kind of what I was thinking

>>341643763
Not at 0, but so close. Saving up would take forever.
>>
>>341643898
>Says he can support himself
>Comes out negative at the end of the month

Then you can't support yourself

>>341644058
Too bad, you can also start over on freeware.
>>
>>341643275
Whats the problem

You cant publish it with pirated software?

Work a bit and buy what you need to publish it.
>>
>>341643275
Port your stuff to an open source or free program and claim you made the stuff there?
>>
>>341643275
if your game looks any good, i'll buy you maya OP
>>
>>341644202
I don't know if I can or not. I don't know if they'd be able to find out if I did.
>>
>>341644197

He says he can -barely- support himself. Considering he can't do that on minimum wage, that's not surprising, because American minimum wage is garbage.
>>
>>341644804
Yeah, it is. Granted, those shits asking for $15 minimum wage are fucking crazy. But $7.25 is damn near impossible.
>>
>>341643275

Start a Patreon account for your game and keep showing new stuff each week. There's also Kickstarter. Try both at the same time, see what bites.
>>
>>341645089
That's an idea I hadn't thought of.
>>
>>341645153
I didn't mean this sarcastically, btw. I might actually do this.
>>
>>341644930

It's not crazy to want a reasonable living wage from putting in full time hours, instead of just subsistence or just-over-subsistence.

How can you build opportunity without money?
>>
>>341645506
That's way more than reasonable. Putting in full time hours flipping burgers at $15/hr nets you $600 , that seems a little crazy for that. I could see going to $10/hr, but then again I've become adept at spending as little as possible so idk anymore.
>>
>>341645787

What reason do you have to devalue the work that low-income workers do?

They're putting in full-time hours of their life to do something other people don't want to do, to provide a service that other people want.

With higher pay, a burger flipper could live better and have a better life environment to then come to work in great condition to flip you the best damn burgers, instead of be barely struggling to support themselves at home.

Plus, more money for minimum wage means that the people on minimum wage can afford to buy more stuff, which is what is -required- to make a consumer economy function.

There's no reason not to raise the minimum wage unless you're a scrubby corporate suit who only sees the bottom line of cost/revenue, and doesn't see the longer term societal benefit of higher minimum wage.
>>
>>341646448
My reason for devaluing their work is because it isn't difficult. Harder work should be paid more.

Another thing that needs to be mentioned: if minimum wage goes up then all wages have to go up. If everyone's getting paid more then prices rise to follow it and minimum wage becomes shit living again.
>>
>>341643275
Learn how to use blender you fucktard
>>
>>341646939
I'm probably going to have to
>>
>>341646752

Harder work should be paid more, but why should full time work not be rewarded with satisfactory living conditions? Even if it's not skillfully difficult, working a boring job for several years that no-one wants to do is difficult in a "what am I doing with my life" way.

Also, yes, inflation does in fact exist, however you got your order of events backwards. The price of everything has been going up - but the minimum wage hasn't been increasing in a proportional manner to catch up. $7.25 was in fact once a reasonable price to be paid per hour for flipping burgers, since that was once a living wage.
>>
>>341645787
The US won't give aid for housing unless you spend equal to or less than 30% of your income on housing.
The same institution that gives this aid (US Department of Housing and Urban Development) estimated that in order to meet this requirement, most states would require a $20.00/hr or greater minimum wage.
This is to qualify for low income housing assistance. So when people ask for $15, they want to be able to pay rent and eat at the same time without taking on debt.
>>
>>341648897

This nigga knows whats up.

I moved to the states last year with my two brothers (we were Americans living in Venezuela).

Between the three of us we make more than minimum wage (around 6000$ a month) and we can barely keep up. Granted we live in Miami witch is probably the worst city in the states to be a poorfag.

I dont complain, but if i am struggling having more than minimum wage, i can understand how fucked are people below it.
>>
>>341643275
what is exactly the problem

there have been music producers that admited using pirated software in their early days of making music

also where can i follow development of your game?
>>
>>341646448
>They're putting in full-time hours of their life to do something other people don't want to do
other people want to do it, though
and at a lower price

that's what devalues their work, the market factors of supply and demand
>>
>>341651309

Remove the option of a lower price.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.