[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I honestly don't think the game looks bad at all. Then again
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 17
File: image.jpg (136 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
136 KB, 800x800
I honestly don't think the game looks bad at all. Then again I haven't played any Paper Mario game except Super Paper Mario (which was pretty boring imo). But the dev for the game is pants-on retarded holy shit.

So /v/, convince me what makes the Paper Mario series so special compared to other RPGs of the same caliber.
>>
Chapters have imaginative areas with different segments as you progress (fighting arena, inside a toy box, snow area and town and a crystal castle), swappable battle partners with varied abilities, simpler mechanics where it is just health magic and ability/equipment slots to raise when you level up.

It's a simple rpg with a good artstyle and Mario in it and it is cool.
>>
File: image.jpg (96 KB, 617x758) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96 KB, 617x758
>Shufflegate: Exposed
>Five guys
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>341553427
Fuck off Hedgehog
>>
>special stickers to 1 turn bosses
can't get worst than this
>>
>>341553427
five fungis
>>
>wonderful visual style
>terrible base gameplay
never thought I'd see this combination in a Nintendo game, sad tbf
>>
It looks bad.
From the footage when Morton pulled out a fire hammer during his boss fight, it does 48 damage to Mario if you don't use the proper thing sticker, and when you do Morton loses almost all his remaining health and dies to the next hit.
This is even WORSE than Sticker Star.
>>
going by the gameplay put out today, it has THE SAME EXACT FUCKING ESOTERIC ONE SPECIFIC ITEM WEAKNESS BOSS MECHANIC AS STICKER STAR

the small chance i gave this game has been erased
>>
I know posting in this thread won't help it die but I fucking hate OP enough just to post "OP IS FAG"
>>
File: 1461895041009.webm (2 MB, 624x352) Image search: [Google]
1461895041009.webm
2 MB, 624x352
>>
A FUCKING PAINT CAN
>>
>>341552024
>convince me
Play the fucking original paper mario.
>>
>>341552024
>Then again I haven't played any Paper Mario game except Super Paper Mario

JUST
>>
>>341554524
>This is even WORSE than Sticker Star.
God, I don't know how it could be. SS was intolerable.
I really wish Nintendo would commit to the older style of Paper Mario. Or at least stick with one Mario RPG and invest all their creativity into that one. Either Mario and Luigi or Paper Mario needs to get the ax, or merge the two, and not in the Paper Jam way
>>
Why why why do they insist on continuing the battle system from Sticker Star where there is absolutely no justification for getting into battles?
>>
File: 1369784984513.jpg (16 KB, 195x195) Image search: [Google]
1369784984513.jpg
16 KB, 195x195
>>341552024
>I haven't played any Paper Mario game except Super Paper Mario
So go fucking correct that and then weigh in on the conversation.
>>
File: 1432809328008s.jpg (2 KB, 121x125) Image search: [Google]
1432809328008s.jpg
2 KB, 121x125
>>341552024
AWWWRAAAITO FREEEHNZ
YEW CAN HAV WAHN NEW CHARACTER FOR YEUR NEW GAEM
I MADE TAH MARIO SHIRIZU SO I KNOW WAHT'S BEST AND YEW CARNT GO MAHKINGR NEW CHARACTERS ARR TAH TIEM
NEWR GAMEPRAY IS VERRY HARD FOR TAH KIDSR AND TAH MOMSR SO YEW CANR ONRY USE TAH CARDS AND TAH PAINTSR
EVERYBODYY WIRR BUY THIS GAEM BECAUS I AM MIYAMOTRO AND I DO NOT NEED DER MARKERT RESEARCH

Sooohhhhhhh
WHrich WAHN new character wirr you be wantirg, dirrekturrr?

>a
>FUCKING
>paint can
>>
Ignore OP
Talk about how bad this game is
>>
Super Paper Mario is fun.
>>
>>341552024
OP, you're not gonna get why people love the series unless you play it yourself. Just don't let the amount of like you see for it lately control your expectations for it or you're gonna be let down completely.
>>
File: image.png (110 KB, 650x585) Image search: [Google]
image.png
110 KB, 650x585
Threadly reminder that Super Paper Mario is a great game.
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 500x395) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 500x395
>Only one anon actually gave a decent response in this thread

All I asked was a reason why the series is so beloved so I can get a better understanding as to why there is so much backlash to this game. That's it. Why should I remotely care about this series in the slightest? What makes it so special compared to other games? Is it that hard to answer a simple question?
>>
>>341557649
Play game
>>
File: IMG_20160616_012541.jpg (44 KB, 480x315) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160616_012541.jpg
44 KB, 480x315
>>341552024
JUST
>>
The game looks like a small improvement over SS, but we can see most of its major flaws are still present and unaltered, so it'll still be shit.

If you need to know why SS is bad there's a handful of different screen caps and copy pastas about saying why, someone will probably post one.

Being technologically incompetent is not one of the flaws of either, so it isn't obviously broken shit at first glance. You need to play it for yourself or get a good description to realize why it's a poorly designed mess.
>>
>>341556272
after the mine cart stuff i had to stop because it was so dreadfully boring
>>
>>341556126
[Laughs]
>>
>>341557830
You know what? Fine. Since Paper Mario 64 is on sale, I might as well.
>>
Mario RPG's have always had
>A light-hearted sense of humor
>blend of JRPG combat with new interesting mechanics, like Timed Hits.
>New creatures and worlds to explore
>Actually filled Peach, Bowser and Yoshi with personality beyond "damsel", "monster leader", and "dinosaur"
>Unique characters like Mallow and Geno, Ms. Mowz and Koops, Bombette and Parakarry to name a few, with their own goals, histories, and backstories
>Badge Points, which allows for unique customizations up to fucking ridiculous 1-HP runs of the game

Paper Mario Sticker Star and Colour Splash have
>A light-hearted sense of humor
>Blend of JRPG combat with new interesting mechanics

aaaand that's about it.

Everything else is "simplified" it beyond all belief. Gone are unique characters or settings; instead you get Toads. Nameless Toads everywhere. In a world full of Mario tropes you've already seen countless times in platformers, as Peach basically does nothing and Bowser roars like a monster again.
Even the combat system is an object failure- you expend resources in combat, but gain nothing, because of the removal of EXP.
It's simply better to AVOID combat.

And you better bet that in the entire game is not going to change much from the demo shown at E3. Don't expect anything new. Don't expect to level up, don't expect to feel like you're getting stronger- all you'll get is an occasional super card to use against bosses, which your little floating buddy will constantly tell you to use.
>>
>>341562627
EXP is confirmed

>>341559168
>>
>>341562686
That looks like it just lets you hold more paint- but at least it's SOMETHING.
>>
File: 1253t4466.png (414 KB, 514x435) Image search: [Google]
1253t4466.png
414 KB, 514x435
So they are wearing hats?
>>
>>341552024
I just hope to God it's not like Sticker Star. I played and loved every other Mario, but Sticker Star was just so tedious and annoying, trying to shoehorn so hard in features I didn't give a shit about.

Please no attacks based completely on consumables.
>>
Keep in mind that Nintendo half assed the answers for you people.

No shit the criticisms has gotten to them

The problem was that Color Splash was already subject to exist right after Sticker Star
>>
>>341563156

My only REAL problem with the battle system was no incentive

Being able to increase your paint meter as well as getting psuedo partner enemy cards is the right direction
>>
>>341564707
It's a right direction, sure, but from what I've seen, it's still not as good as leveling up your stats as a reason to go into battle

I mean, sure, you can power up your attacks more and throw out new enemies, but if it really is just more paint, you'll still do the same damage with your jumps as you did before hand.

I honestly hope I'm wrong because I want to enjoy this game again, but... eeegh, it looks so unappealing overall. All the toads...
>>
>>341565201

>All the toads

Look, i hate it too, but the fact of the matter is that the writing is pretty good, and has great charming moments

Fuck, Sticker Star had funny charming moments

Even with that stupid shitposter who posts that stupid image not knowing that people put -gate on conspiracies and that "5 Fun Guys" is a fucking pun on Fungi
>>
>>341564707
They've upped the annoying puzzle quotient on the bosses too.

The fight with Morton is pretty much fixed so he'll kill you in 2 turns without the Fire Extinguisher..
>>
>>341553578
At least the first boss I pray morton was the first boss despite all patterns pointing to larry has a minipuzzle before the instakill
>>
Is there a winning situation with this?

It succeeds, and we get Sticker Star 3.

It fails, and Nintendo just assumes we don't like Paper Mario anymore.
>>
File: Bowser Reading.gif (150 KB, 450x527) Image search: [Google]
Bowser Reading.gif
150 KB, 450x527
>>341565925
What points to Larry (besides him usually being the first boss) as the first boss?
>>
>>341557649
Everyone's in too much of an uproar now anon
The first guy said it best however.
THe game's are fairly simple and easy, plus TTYD has a flaw of backtracking being a good bit too common, but combat is very good compared to a lot of RPGs the world is so god damn alive and has more than enough enemies and secrets to keep things interesting. Outside of backtracking segments
>>
>>341566102
We still have Mario & Luigi
>>
File: 1423377382832.jpg (11 KB, 192x146) Image search: [Google]
1423377382832.jpg
11 KB, 192x146
>>341566102
I think there's 1 chance we have left but it won't happen for a very long time I feel. TTYD HD could happen & possibly help dictate what direction the series could go in: https://youtu.be/dlcNubU6bYA?t=520
>>
>>341566180
Thats literally it. Hence why I only said patterns point to Larry
Well there is the fact that the first gameplay trailer showed the first 2 levels are grasslands while Morton is clearly in the desert
>>
>>341566360
But Dreamteam was so bleh.
And Paper Jam while having amazing points it also felt bleh at others
>>
>>341566360
Mario & Luigi only has one or two really good games. It's a pretty middling series most of the time.
>>
>>341565925
>6 areas on the fountain
>7 koopalings

And sticker star had the last one in possession of Bowser so how that's going to work.
>>
>>341556126
Kek
>>
>>341552024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlcNubU6bYA
This interview is so strange to me. There doesn't seem to be any cynicism in this woman's words. She's just speaking freely, and thinks that Sticker Star is a good direction.

It's like Nintendo employees don't ignore the haters, they are actually unaware of the haters. There seems to be a company philosophy of "just follow your heart".

Which has probably resulted in some great stuff, but sometimes it seems like the whole company is mentally ill.
>>
File: 1457374122825.jpg (492 KB, 1800x1330) Image search: [Google]
1457374122825.jpg
492 KB, 1800x1330
I can't help but think Bowser's Castle will be about 2 rooms again.
>>
>>341566849
I'd say each M&L game is better than each PM game except for 64,which beats ot the lesser DS titles
>>
File: 1456544335163.png (43 KB, 148x177) Image search: [Google]
1456544335163.png
43 KB, 148x177
>>341567125
How is a humble producer lady at Nintendo of Japan supposed to be aware of the ire of Nintendo fans in America who direct their heat at Nintendo of America, who does not develop but localize games?
>>
>>341567125
Is the opinion of Sticker Star vastly different in Japan than in the west?

Is it well liked?
>>
>>341567229
>Saying TTYD is worse than PiT, DT, and PJ
Delete this post now before the thread explodes
>>
File: 1453666470241.gif (6 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1453666470241.gif
6 KB, 250x250
What I want to know is why does Nintendo not want Paper Mario to be an RPG anymore? Why are they trying to sorta push that element away and say "go play Mario and Luigi for that". Why not both?
>>
File: A+B.png (167 KB, 1920x1908) Image search: [Google]
A+B.png
167 KB, 1920x1908
>>341567413
When Color Splash was first announced it was floating around with these images Japs didn't like it either, I can't tell though due to not speaking Japanese.
>>
>>341567413
No, it's pretty much the same. TTYD is considered an absolute classic over there too.

I would say that Japanese don't get so worked up about Nintendo stuff, it's a less important part of the landscape.
>>
I wasnt that mad until https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwqhBZ67e7A
>Hit up new characters
>By which we mean literally repainted Crysty
>>
>>341567432
We don't have TWO Mario racing franchises, do we?

We don't have TWO Mario partying franchises do we?

We don't have TWO Mario golfing franchises do we?
>>
>>341567428
It got the PM battle system right but TTYD has way too many problems with its level design
>>
>>341567676
This argument makes some sort of sense, but (no offense) it's Mario & Luigi that should go.

Mario & Luigi has brought some really great ideas and humour, but everything it brings to the table could be included into a revamped PM battle system.

I mean, the best stuff about M&L is literally just the best stuff about PM. Bowser humour, interactive battles, overworld puzzles that incorporate old platforming ideas, etc.
>>
>>341567676
Paper Mario came first which is the stupid thing.

No offense to Alphadream because it's not their fault.
>>
>>341567768
Please do go on
I fucking dare you
>>
>>341567676
Is this why Wario games got killed off and replaced with Micro shit?

We don't need TWO platformers?
>>
>>341568025
it's not a bad game overall,just that for everything they did right there is an unbearable part to come right after
>>
>>341568025
Not them, but replaying Glitzville and Twilight Town is monotonous. Going through tons of battles and then backtracking throughout that town for an entire chapter was pretty boring after the initial surprise.
Not to mention that quest where you had to find that general bomb-omb. Don't even have to mention how bad that forest is, to the point of not making people want to replay the game.
Rest of the game is gold though, each chapter feels unique and there's an original story with strong original characters.
>>
File: 1455596728388.gif (17 KB, 130x130) Image search: [Google]
1455596728388.gif
17 KB, 130x130
>people still trying to defend this turd
It was all over when they showed the Fire Extinguisher card that beat Morton.

It's the same EXACT shit that was wrong with Sticker Star. You just need to use one specific sticker to defeat bosses.

Forget anything about PM or TTYD. Even just looking at it on its own merit, how is that fun at all?
>>
>>341568267
TTYD could absolutely benefit from a Wind Waker style quality of life remake.

Plus it would get people to play it. I can only assume that a lot of people haven't played it recently (or at all), because it is unreasonably good. It goes way beyond the hype. As angry as people are, they should actually be angrier.
>>
>>341552024
I have to say that the visuals in Color Splash look pretty nice. Makes you wonder what the original Paper Mario and TTYD would look like with color splash's visuals.
>>
>>341568504
>>341568802
TTYD doesn't need any sort of remaster, it looks perfect and still looks good to this day.

I honestly think it looks better than Color Splash. I hate how SS and this take the paper thing way too fucking literally. Also the white outline on characters when they already have black outlines is totally unnecessary and distracting. TTYD had it right already.
>>
>>341568802
That's what makes this so frustrating. This is gonna be a completely style over substance game when it didn't have to be- just use the established mechanics that make people enjoy the franchise in the first place.
>>
File: image.jpg (168 KB, 731x1158) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
168 KB, 731x1158
You know how you fix the combat? Make card slots limited and have your option to expand them tied to exp. cards are found in shops or through side content, and are no longer throwaway (they could have cool downs or something else instead), have varying effects and combos like a real TCG, and the rarer ones provide incentive to explore and spend time playing.

There, I fixed your shitty gameplay, and hell, it didn't take a massive overhaul, just some tweaks based on already existing TCGs and mixing it with the badge system and RPG elements. Congrats, you've created a unique gameplay system that is engaging, has variety, and is much different than M&L, and can be adapted for puzzles, varying degrees of challenge, etc, etc

But no, look what we got instead. I'm no expert, and I've never made a game, but I sure as shit know if you're going to give the player an obstacle, it's not a challenge unless there's incentive to clear it
>>
>>341568434
>Maybe you don't have to use the estinguisher
>Morton does this huge attack cripples you if you don't put out his hammer
>Using the item literally puts him one hit from defeat

I hope to all that is holy you can use Ice Flowers. This was literally the most on rails fight I've ever seen.
>>
>>341569002
>Also the white outline on characters when they already have black outlines is totally unnecessary and distracting.

Holy shit I never noticed this but yeah, that's fucking weird.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.