[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this game dead? Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: ns2.png (432 KB, 800x414) Image search: [Google]
ns2.png
432 KB, 800x414
Post an image of a game you're wondering if its dead or not.
>>
>>341551852
i dont know had to stop playing becasue couldnt see any servers
>>
>>341551852
It has an average of about 200 players at peak now. It dropped sharply because of Hugh Jeremy's incompetence
>>
>>341552736
what happened
>>
NS2 would have been better if they hadn't screwed up the alien side with commander roles. The whole point of the original mod was two contrasting playstyles fighting eachother.
>>
>>341552626
>>341552736
Whats wrong with it? Should I not pick it up?
>>
>>341551852

>Steep learning curve
>Community that hates n00bs with a passion
>Unoptimized as shit until years after it came out.
>Devs abandoned ship.

RIP
>>
File: 1412112310967.png (34 KB, 546x325) Image search: [Google]
1412112310967.png
34 KB, 546x325
>>341551852
>Tfw this is languishing in my library.
>Tfw I know I'll never play it again because it's pretty much dead.
>>
>>341553559
Dead but it had an alright life.
Nothing compared to the original though... that stargate mod and fades flying floating around metabolising and doing weird hand movements and making that noisee is burned into my memory forevevr
>>
>>341552938
I've explained this too many times already but quick summary.

Jeremy was the PR manager who got more involved with the game after launch. He started pushing a competitive focus. This resulted in a balancing patch which made the game far less enjoyable to play while neglecting ongoing issues such as lack of a tutorial and other support to help people get into the game. A fuckload of people quit after this patch. The game coasted along for a few months with a small amount of content being released until another patch was planned to improve performance and add a new map coinciding with a 75% off sale. The sale brought in numbers but the patch was released the same day and it was a buggy mess which made it unplayable for an entire week so even more people actually ended up quitting. The decision for the sale to coincide with the patch was made by Hugh.

Then the game drifted along for another 2 years with a small but stable community until about January this year when Hugh got involved again and starting adding weekly patches which severely pissed off a modder who develops an essential gameplay mod called NS2+. Fortunately fences were mended and the community development team finally added a good tutorial to the game. But Hugh wanted more drastic changes. The weekly patches started focusing on balance to such a heavy degree it felt like playing a different game every week. The final straw for a lot of people was the health bars addition around the time of Overwatch's release and a lot of people jumped ship to it. Hugh played a game on my server just before this patch was released and the entire server was telling him to go fuck himself for what he had done to the game.
>>
File: rikerparallels.jpg (33 KB, 530x298) Image search: [Google]
rikerparallels.jpg
33 KB, 530x298
>>341554201
Might have contributed to it but 2 main things killed it, it ran like shit and was too complex for most people.

It was NEVER going to be popular.
>>
File: tired of this shit.gif (2 MB, 400x310) Image search: [Google]
tired of this shit.gif
2 MB, 400x310
Even though I haven't played in months, here how NS2 played at that point:

>Launch Game
>Try to join server, but realize server is rookie only
>Filter rookie only servers and see there's only 3 populated servers
>All 3 are filled to capacity
>Wait 10 minutes to join one of the damn servers and have to constantly keep refreshing the browser

Finally, I'm in the game! Then...
>90% of the time you will be joining a game in progress, and you will be joining the losing team (since players on the losing team are more likely to quit and free up a slot)
>Spend the next 10 minutes getting your shit pushed in
>Game ends

Okay, lets get a real game going guise!!
>Join a team
>All the vets, l33t pro's, aimbotting faggots stack one team
>All the n00bs who don't know better join the other team
>People cry that it's imbalanced. "Press m to shuffle!!"
>Proceed to shuffle 5 fucking times because no one can ever be satisfied with the first 4.

Okay, teams are balanced!!!
>Wait 10 minutes for teams to pick commanders because people are too scared/lazy/incompetent to com
>Finally game starts
>Realize very quickly that the game is stacked anyway despite the 5 shuffles. If stacked towards marines, game will end very quickly because they will just egg lock aliens and rape them
>If stacked towards aliens, then marines will put up a resistance until fades show up, then will be raped and forced to turtle in base for 10 mins
>Game finally ends

Oh and did I mention this game has so many fucking cheaters? I've never played an FPS with such a bad cheating problem.

and no, i'm not mad cuz i bad, i had 1300 hours in the game

I'm glad this game is dead. It deserves to rot.
>>
>>341554604
I agree with you but the decline in player numbers was exponential. This wasn't a slow death, this was almost an Evolve or even Battlborn level death.

The well known and dreaded build 250 pretty much destroyed the game instantly
>>
>>341555461
You fuckers had it coming. You claimed you wanted newblood but shut them down at every turn crushing them on supposedly Newbie-friendly servers.

Fuck you and fuck everyone else who played that game regularly, it seriously brings me delight to hear it crashed and burned and all the time you faggots invested in it was for naught.
>>
Is Verdun dead?
Is Red Orchestra 2 dead?
>>
>>341554771
Yep this is pretty much the game even right now. It's still very much a game where 1-2 very good players can dominate the entire match. It got so absurd the term "heroing" has been used to describe the commander using all of their resources to keep these players alive. A good marine with a shotgun or a good fade with metabolize and celerity are absolute fucking nightmares for even fairly competent players.

Now while these guys are good they are definitely not cheaters. I've only encountered two legitimate cheaters and that was around the time the game launched.

Calmos if you're reading this please stop killing my lerk
>>
>>341555821
I wasn't one of those assholes, I was teaching people how to play the game and letting rookies freely command.

All of the shitfest elitism mainly culminated in the American NS2 community
>>
File: strayture.jpg (65 KB, 720x852) Image search: [Google]
strayture.jpg
65 KB, 720x852
Was Hugh one giant shitpost on NS2?
>>
>>341556435
He was a fucker that's for sure

That's why I'm worried for all those people playing Subnautica
>>
>>341555969
RO2 always has like two populated servers all the time. Merrils Marauders and one other one. Far from dead. No idea about Verrdun
>>
>>341556202
Mfw i played at the European servers where everyone was friendly and enjoyed the game.
>>
File: slavtheatre.jpg (74 KB, 550x412) Image search: [Google]
slavtheatre.jpg
74 KB, 550x412
>>341557070
Not Wooza's I hope.
>>
>>341556026
Sounds like death for a game. No new player is going to want to play if their entire experience is getting destroyed over and over until they quit or lose.
>>
I tried playing it a year back but I got stomped like 4 games in a row while getting made fun of
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.