[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shadowrun
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 200
Thread images: 17
File: SRHKextended_960x550.jpg (332 KB, 960x550) Image search: [Google]
SRHKextended_960x550.jpg
332 KB, 960x550
So we all know Shadowrun Hong Kong was a piece of shit compared to Dragonfall, but did the Extended Edition fix it?
>>
>>341524026
Oh shit, I've been playing this and having fun. Now you tell me there's an even better one? What makes it better?
>>
> This Extended Edition adds the all-new, 6+ hr Shadows of Hong Kong Bonus Campaign to the game as a free upgrade - delivering on a funding goal achieved by fans in Harebrained Schemes’ wildly successful Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter. The Extended Edition also adds audio commentary to the game, and a long list of improvements since the game’s initial launch - including new visual effects, updated dialogue, and new editor features (for User-Generated Content).

It's literally written on the store page, I mean come on.
>>
>>341525792
bug fixes, pointless dialogue, and some new colors?

quite the goal they reached there
>>
>>341526087
I understood that it's an additional 6 hour of campaign on top of the normal edition.
>pointless dialogue
It's an RPG.
>>
i LOVED dragonfall, it reignited my passion for Vidya, shit was 10/10: Characters, Atmosphere, Combat and lore

I Just can't get into Honk Kong, while some things are interesting, i just don't give a shit about anything, Characters are shit (except Racter and maybe the Ghoul i forgot the name), i don't care about the dreams or Raymond's fate
>>
Any lads here excited for Copper Dreams?
>>
Loved Dragonfall and currently playing through HK. Don't see any reason for hate if you liked the previous.
>>
>>341527015
staglands was pretty fun, high hopes for this
>>
>>341524839
Dragonfall has

>a less shit matrix
>better quests
>better characters
>an actual plot
>a non-broken money system

The only thing HK has on Dragonfall is some good combat fixes. Everything else is better.

>>341526782
Rachter was planned for Dragonfall but got cut. Gaichu had the best gameplay of any character in the game though.
>>
File: 2015-08-09_1407[1].png (1 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
2015-08-09_1407[1].png
1 MB, 1600x900
>>341527015
They seem to be fucking good at what they do, but I refunded Serpent in the Staglands. Actually playing the game was a fucking chore. It doesn't matter how well written it is when getting to the writing is an exercise in frustration.

Too bad, I actually really liked the pixel art.
>>
>>341526254
>>pointless dialogue
>It's an RPG.

Yes, and they especially can have needlessly pointless dialogue.
>>
>>341525792
That literally doesn't answer my question you niggerlipped kike faggot.

>did the Extended Edition fix it?
>>
>>341527407
>exercise in frustration
Just RTwP my shit up senpai.
>>
>>341527407
it was frustratingly savescummy, but that problem resolved itself once you get over that low level hump
>>
>>341527407
>>
>>341527512
>Yes, and they especially can have needlessly pointless dialogue.
True, actually, but I'd argue that plot-unrelated dialogue can help with the world building and immersion. If it's done well, of course.
>>
>>341527637
it's almost jarring to see a game with proper pixel art where the pixels aren't overlapping
>>
>>341527517
Are you asking if Extended Ed is what Directior's Cut was to Dragonfall? In that case no, it's not quite as drastic a change.
>>
>>341527776
Sometimes the best things aren't explained (The Deathclaws in Fallout 1)
>>
>>341527889
I'm asking if it makes it playable.
>>
I like both quite a bit. I love Hong Kong setting. Germany was pretty cool too.
>>
hey should I play returns before dragonfall or can I just skip it

I'm a couple of hours into it so far and it's been terrible
>>
Returns: 6.5/10
Dragonfall: 10/10
Hong Kong: 8/10
>>
>>341528347
Skip it. There's no continuity between the games.
>>
>>341528347
You can skip it. It's mostly just a tech demo.
>>
>>341528569
HK is worse than Returns
>>
>>341528347
you can skip, but you will want all the Shadowrun you can get after finishing Dragonfall. You better play Returns before because it is very inferior to DF or HK but still a good game
>>
>>341528753
Now you're just trash talking.
>>
>>341527307
I agree with this Anon, but Hong Kong's stellar OST alone makes it worth at least one playthrough imo, and that's not even considering how awesome Gaichu and Rachter are.
>>
What needed fixing? I think it better the Dragonfall in every way.
>>
>>341528753
Like hell it isn't, it has Harlequin in it.
>>
Another great RPG coming through.
>>
>>341528271
In other words, you literally have no idea what you're asking.
>>
>>341528753
worst bait ever
>>
Dragonfall has a top tier soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjBc02WplW0

What's your favorite build in games? I think a pure Mage build is my favorite. You can do some insane damage and some of the crowd control abilities are just OP.
>>
>>341530063
i'm not sure why it's anything more than subjectivity to some people

hong kong's you're fucked find raymond isn't any weaker of a plot starter than she's dead you're fucked find the killer

my main complaint is the numerous things to do with the dragon and the ai are more complex than the yama king decisions
>>
>>341531839
I agree that it was much easier to make a decision concerning the yama kings compared to the dragon. Besides that HK is better in every way.Only problem I find with it is the amount of bugs that still exist.
>>
>>341529685
The music is so good in hk, Christ.

I don't see all the hate for hk, i really enjoyed it, while I did find all the dialogue about dreams a bit tedious, and the "I've finished a mission, let me walk around town for an hour so I can speak to everybody" was horrendous.
I am a bit weak for Hong Kong, the walled city, monofilament whip etc.
>>
>>341530063
Are you fucking braindead? Hong Kong's story is hot garbage, the characters are all fucking terrible except for the two optional ones and the godawful Matrix gameplay makes Deckers completely unplayable.
>>
>>341524026

Dragonfall had a better plot but HK improves on the gameplay, has a better setting, and a more likeable cast.
>>
>>341532505
>godawful Matrix gameplay
You don't like red light/green light and simon says?
>>
>>341532505
What's with the hostility and unsupported opinions
>>
>>341532616
>better setting
fucking what? The Walled City the only thing the whole game is about and you're only in it for about 5 minutes. The entire rest of the game you're fucking around on the docks while Auntie does your fucking job for you.

>better cast
WEW LAD

Duncan is a non-entity, Gobbet is Bioware-teir GIGGLESQEE waifu bait and Is0bel is a whiny worthless bitch.

Shadowrun Hong Kong is a terrible game.
>>
Will they make more Shadowrun games? I liked the setting a lot and want more of it
>>
>>341524026
anon dragonfall was a mess before the dc as well.
>>
>>341533690
The plot of Dragonfall was still good.
>>
File: He's_right_you_know.jpg (52 KB, 640x478) Image search: [Google]
He's_right_you_know.jpg
52 KB, 640x478
>>341533183
>>
>>341533564
It wouldn't surprise me if they made more. Dragonfall and Hong Kong seem to have been well received. They're working on a Battletech game currently. They asked for 250k on kickstarter and got 2.5 million.
>>
>>341533993
They've talked about how they believe they've hit the limit of what their current engine can do and how they'd want to use a new engine for any future Shadowrun games, perhaps in full 3D instead of 2D isometric like the current games which sounds like a terrible idea to me. The one thing I liked about the Shadowrun games was not having to fight the camera, going full 3D didn't do a thing to help Wasteland 2 any.
>>
only thing i didn't like about hk is all the characters were the same class archetypes as dragonfall. why can't they design a good mage character?
>>
Let's get to the more serious questions anons

Glory or Eiger?
>>
>>341533183

Duncan was a great brother and portrayed anger issues in a compelling light instead of taking the easy way out and just being retard rage. Racter and Gaichu are both top tier RPG companions. Gobbet is my waifu, so I'm biased there, but she's still a fine character. Is0bel is absolute shit though, I'll give you that.

Is the Dragonfall cast any better, though? Glory has a great backstory but there's nothing to her as a person. Dietrich is utterly one-dimensional; he's pleasant, but dull and flat. Blitz feels like a bad fanmade mod. The only good one in the bunch is Eiger.

I can't even remember anything about Paul Amsel while Kindly Cheng is super memorable. Ditto for all the shopkeeps.

Also:

>superior soundtrack
>better graphics
>cyberware gets overhauled to be awesome
>don't have to put up with any insufferable anarchists
>Etiquettes beyond Gang actually come up and are useful

Hong Kong is a flat-out improvement over Dragonfall.
>>
>>341534516

Eiger by a mile.
>>
>>341533183
Isobel is shit because she's a plot device.
Gobbet is fine, open up your ass a little. Did you even do her mission?
Duncan is your foil. He's there to make you less of a non entity.
Racter is great fun, and a chair tussler.
Gaichu is great too.
Ambrose, the shadowlands snippets, law, shen and the club trolls all contribute to the ambiance, and don't try and say the kreuzbazar got more developement because it didn't.

And sure the plot is nothing to write home about and doesn't come together like dragonfall's does but in both cases the meat of the game isn't in the red thread quest.
>>
File: glory.png (1 MB, 1017x1611) Image search: [Google]
glory.png
1 MB, 1017x1611
>>341534516
Glory, of course.
>>
>>341534516
Glory by a mile. :^)
>>
>>341534516
If I really had to, Eiger for sure. There's just something really sexy about Amazonian women.
>>
>>341534926

one thing that made me bored of HK were talking with people in the HUB, i loved doing so in Kreuzbazar, but at HK was a chore talking about fucking dreams with everyone
>>
>>341534745
adding to what this anon said I'm not sure why Cheng is any more of a plot device than Amsel

in both games you sit by and wait for them to do the real work while you do the missions and reveal something, usually running down to "gimme some time to find out what this is about" and then you get doublecrossed
>>
>>341533183
Ehh the way I saw it Duncan was there to help flesh out your background and to help you "care" about Raymond(or alternatively actually give a damn about him when you don't), and was your reliable number 2 in all situations.
>>341533690
Vanilla DragonFall's only real weakness was the combat system and the lack of following up on the personal plot hooks of your other dudes aside from Blitz. That said with Vanilla HK having a lot more trouble with its writing on top of that, the edge goes to Dragonfall though I like all the attempted changes they had in HK(the ley lines upgrade especially) and hopefully they can refine it into an even better system the next go around
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (9 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
9 KB, 480x360
BEST DRAGONFALL CHARACTER?
BEST HONG KONG CHARACTER
>>
Glory/Racter
>>
>>341535235
I don't remember talking with the hub merchants in df that much. All there was was zack and flash, absinthe for a couple of lines, and algernon. And the ghouls for a second and that's it. And tipping the dancer every time.

In HK I remember ambrose lying to your face about everything, LAW being literally a newfag, shen being smug about his training, the club trolls being retards, even the junkie looking for his fix. Really the dreams are only big with the go(shogi?) players and crafty.

By the way I hope the next time they make a game you'll actually be able to tell that a tall npc is tall.
>>
>>341536145
Eiger and Gaichu.

Runners up are Glory and Rachter.
>>
>>341536145

See >>341536410
>>
File: Npc_humanmale_racter.png (146 KB, 212x278) Image search: [Google]
Npc_humanmale_racter.png
146 KB, 212x278
>People in this thread killed Gaichu

Fucking scum
>>
>>341536145
I'm not gay, but there's something about Racter that increases my heart rate
>>
>>341534516
For Glory, always Glory
>>
>>341536145

Dragonfall: Eiger
Hong Kong: everyone but Is0bel is perfect
>>
>>341536467
So what was the deal with Ambrose, anyway?
>>
File: Npc_humanfemale_simmy.png (98 KB, 212x278) Image search: [Google]
Npc_humanfemale_simmy.png
98 KB, 212x278
>>341536467
You forgot Simmy Kim. You best tell me you didn't ignore Simmy Kim.
>>
The thing is, after making the best adaption of the game (Dragonfall) why did they go back and fucked things up again that didn't need fixing?
>>
>>341536145
Dragonfall: Eiger
Hong Kong: Gaichu
>>
>>341536889
YOU better tell me you didn't make a BTL chiphead your waifu, anon.

>>341536880

He may or may not have been ripshot. His overwatch may or may not not have been on point in a run where a crew was waiting for them. He may or may not have lost his liver when the only other survivor put him through three trauma kits. Then she killed herself- like killing a sentry, and left ambrose alone.

Also his son is in the UCAS and he's lying to your face about how that could have come to pass.
>>
>>341524026
>Hong kong
>shit
fuck off dragon fag
>>
>>341537591
>YOU better tell me you didn't make a BTL chiphead your waifu, anon.

No, the demonic cyberpsycho was my waifu but Simmy Kim was a pretty good side character. Much better written than any of the ones in HK because the DF writers had enough restraint to keep her interactions brief and to the point.
>>
>>341536145
Dietrich and Rachter
>>
So in Dragonfall what is with the Black Elf and the shop keeper. What are they?
>>
>>341532687
not him but timing-based gameplay is utter shite in that mobile game-tier engine

they should've just kept it simple
>>
>>341534516
Eiger because troll musclefu > dead-inside rule 63 edward scizorrhands
>>
>>341536145
dragonfall: lucky strike
hk: racter
>>
>>341538004
Aren't they the same writers?

I don't really have a preference for either game's npcs, to be honest.
Except Absinthe and Spider Shen.

>When I look at you, I see great metal arms, dripping with vivid red paint. (She offers you a cautious smile) Pretty.
>>
is there any chance for them to use a less-shit engine? The art/atmosphere is great and combat is decent but you can really feel how low-budget it is
>>
>>341538640
> Aren't they the same writers?

Possibly, I'm not sure. All I know is HK had one of the writer's wives working as the script editor and it pretty clear she didn't do her job and force them to par down the excessive character writing in that game. That's the main complaint I had with it compared to DF, everyone just dumped so much damn text on you, it was absurd to think these hardened criminals would just spill their guts to anyone who happened to walk by.
>>
I kinda want to play through Dragonfall again, but I'm dubious as to how much replay value the game will have, considering I played a fairly minmaxed Decker last time and did the good conclusion to most quests
>>
>>341538995
>everyone just dumped so much damn text on you

that's because more text was one of the goals people paid for.
>>
>>341538995
fucking this, I love reading in good RPGs but Hong Kong flooded me with so much backstory text after missions that it was exhausting trying to talk to everyone. I kinda got worn out after 45 minutes of just talking to my team members
>>
File: Shadowrun bad.png (1 MB, 1613x985) Image search: [Google]
Shadowrun bad.png
1 MB, 1613x985
>tfw get the absolute bad tier end of Dragonfall.

Hong Kong's was weak in comparison.
>>
File: 1st place.gif (1 MB, 320x232) Image search: [Google]
1st place.gif
1 MB, 320x232
>mfw Monofilament whip the final boss in HK.
>>
>>341539558
What happens here?
>>
File: Horror end.png (71 KB, 483x219) Image search: [Google]
Horror end.png
71 KB, 483x219
>>341539717
>>
>>341539558
>>341539820

This ending is disturbing.
>>
>>341538293
>what is with the Black Elf and the shop keeper
He's an immortal elf, like Harlequin, except not a gigantic faggot. No idea about the shop keeper. Could just be someone with a rare prophetic gift, or some supernatural creature.
>>
>>341539203
I was a backer, more text was not a goal. Personal side missions, Gaichu, Racter, enhanced cyberware/magic and the bonus campaign were goals, as was the Matrix "improvement" which no one would have backed had we realized what they intended to do to it.
>>
>>341539820
That sounds amazing

How badly do you have fuckup to get that?
>>
>>341540016
You have to listen to a crazy guy bent on genocide and have to sacrifice your team and your home to see it through.
>>
>>341540016
You betray your team to help the doctor wipe out the dragons. With no dragons to stop them, Eldritch abominations come through. You get to read through a dozen entries outlining entire continents going dark.
>>
>>341540167
>>341540197
That's pretty damn neat
>>
File: 2015-08-17_00002.jpg (43 KB, 448x717) Image search: [Google]
2015-08-17_00002.jpg
43 KB, 448x717
Going to replay Dragonfall, what should my build be?

Went decker last time. How does Blaze hold up in that role?
>>
>>341540347
By comparison, hk's bad end is to accept the offer for good fortune. Of course, everyone (except racter) is appalled and you have to kill them all. Then you get good fortune.
>>
>>341539820

Dragonfall was my first taste of Shadowrun setting so the crazy guy speech about the dragons made so fucking sense that i almost sided with him, but i had talk with that shopkeeper and he told me about the "underworld creatures", so i saved my ass
>>
>>341540849
I gotta find screen caps of this bad end now, the whole world getting eaten is pretty interesting
>>
>>341540642
Blitz is... competent. He can handle all the decking but he's pretty useless outside the Matrix because SMGs just suck in general due to cover and armor damage reduction.
>>
>>341540642
Offensive Mage is really the only role your team is naturally lacking(all the games seem to lack one) and Blitz is about average in both decking/rigging(ie:good enough for almost anything, though not PC tier). Hes Even better if you do his DC mission.
>>
>>341540975
Here's a video of how that ending plays out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwYPrL-Db-A
>>
>>341541265
Awesome thanks
>>
>>341534926
>Isobel is shit because she's a plot device.

Not even, her whole quest looks like it's setting up something important to the plot... and then no, not really.
My main complain with here is that they set up that cool situation about memory which could allow you to do some cool stuff to be tackled with (though not answered) and then they never do anything with it.
I find her unlikable as a person, but as a character she could work, she's almost there.
>>
>>341532505
>godawful Matrix gameplay makes Deckers completely unplayable.

You mean the matrix gameplay that actually has some sort of difficulty and challenge? Well I agree the main crew are not as good as Dragonfall's they are not terrible. The main story is pretty interesting as well.

Also, anon having a different opinion on something like this doesn't make one retarded.
>>
>>341538594
>lucky strike
mah nigga
>>
>>341540998
Oh yeah, I forgot he used and SMG. Fuck.

>>341541103
I don't think I can go mage in Dragonfall after the dragon lines or whatever in Hong Kong.
>>
>>341541519
She'd work a whole lot better if her big tragedy wasn't "i saw my brother OD :("
>>
File: 1465457526236.jpg (389 KB, 1112x1299) Image search: [Google]
1465457526236.jpg
389 KB, 1112x1299
Replaying hongkong for the extended content.

Should i go rip and tear cyber troll again or are mages actually fun in this game?
>>
>>341541932
What about rigger then? Double Drones is almost cheating and you can make use of the tiny vents in the maps. Only issue is that you'll naturally want to dip back into decking making Blitz redundant.

>I don't think I can go mage in Dragonfall after the dragon lines or whatever in Hong Kong.
I have the same feeling since the dragonlines were probably one of the greatest improvements(and certainly most well received) they had in HK.
>>
>>341542636
Yeah, I'll probably do that. How do drones compare to assault rifles?

>>341542569
Mages are amazing as long as you're careful with your money.
>>
>>341542636
Not him, but drones felt weak even during the late game. Maybe it was because I was playing a rigger on HK on hard. Never played a rigger on DF.
>>
>>341542089

Actually, no, that's part of the unlikable bit point. She's a self-centered anti-social user with an unhealthy dose of teenage angst.

The main thing is that the game is walking a tight line between the runners being an almost family-like team and the runners being a mess of tangled individuals that need one another to survive however much they might not want each other's company. And I think for some reason they didn't dare to take Is0bel to the logical end, probably because it would have been hard to keep her in the team if they did, or doing so would have made a real bastard of sort (against which I wouldn't have been myself)=) - unlike Rachter for one (like him or, he's a compelling character because they've taken him all the way).
>>
File: 1457979388988.webm (233 KB, 500x386) Image search: [Google]
1457979388988.webm
233 KB, 500x386
So I've been looking at these Shadowrun games for a while now. because I love cyberpunk stuff.

So which game should I start with?
>>
>>341542947
>>341543123
Honestly my experience with drones has all been on Normal difficulty in vanilla SR and DF:DC so it might not be the most accurate advice. I remember though that drones are hella strong(BLITZ'S DRONE IS A BETTER OUT OF MATRIX FIGHTER THAN HIM) and once you get the stats to double drone you'll start to really shine. Individually they aren't quite as good as dedicated characters in that role but at the very minimum double droning makes it feel like you have 5 party members that can all contribute in a turn. Plus single drone shenanigans like popping out of a vent shooting then re-entering to prevent counter fire is a hilariously effective tactic. That said the downsides of having to a)actually buy 2 drones(especially when the equipment list tiers up) b)having to allocate repair kits on your item slots instead of healing items does limit their effectiveness but not by much
>>
>>341544054
True, sadly you can not use vents more often to ambush enemies. There is too few opportunities to use them.
>>
>>341543694
On one hand returns is the worst game in the series

On the other youll probably want more shadowrun after dragonfall and hongkong and returns is going to be disgusting after playing the improved versions of the game.

Basically returns is pretty mediocre but not offensive so id give it a shot and see if you like it. If you dont then just switch to dragonfall and never look at it again.
>>
>>341543694
If you want a linear narrative experience where you create and control one character, occasionally having a few others with you when the plot dictates their presence, having to hire muscle otherwise then I'd say start with Shadowrun Returns. Dragonfall and Hong Kong give you an entire team to run with and a base hub with NPCs that have their own stories as the campaign progresses.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhcoP8SnZZo

favorite track?
>>
>>341544320
Why is Returns considered the weakest game? Played and loved both Dragonfall and Hong Kong, but only just picked up Returns from the GOG sale. What's wrong with it?
>>
>>341544798
Story is weaker, you only have one member of a crew that you barely talk to, you dont really have much of a hub that you interact with like in the other games and the combat mechanics are less refined
>>
>>341524839

Hong Kong was good, but Dragonfall's great. The whole game has more of an atmosphere; you can really *feel* the world you're playing in. It's a little more relaxed, but also has a bit more of a brooding undercurrent. Your teammates' personalities and trials are all on Racter and Gaichu's level, I'd say, rather than the slightly more simplistic Gobbet, Wu or Is0bel.
>>
>>341524026

I haven't replayed the main campaign, but the mini-campaign's pretty good. I think it maintained a level of quality a bit higher than the main game.
>>
>>341545268
Well given the mini-campaign only contained 4 runs it should have maintained a level of quality higher than the main game.
>>
>>341544054
I also forgot to mention they can go through vents to open doors. Don't exactly recall how effective it is in DF but in SR you had to have either it or summoning to get all the clues for the shaman in the murder scene for max xp
>>341544319
Agreed, though the few times you can actually use them are crazy good. My favorite one being one of the vents in the obtain the prototype mission you can use to flank an enemy group that start really far from your guys and have a sniper with them.

>>341544546
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb_Va2ImNYg

>>341544798
Story is the weakest of the 3, no really long lasting member of your crew and on a whole its a lot less polished than the other two. Which really goes to show how much they improved the system over the games
>>
>>341528753

Now you fucked up.
>>
>>341528347

If you know absolutely nothing about Shadowrun then it's a decent introduction to the universe.

Otherwise, skip it.
>>
>>341527015

Given Serpent, I'm really hoping that they can manage something great with that one.

I now I'll be giving it its chance for sure.
>>
>>341545123
The story suffered from them having to chop a lot of it away due to budget issues. They had to make Dead Man's Switch and the Dragonfall DLC expansion using their first Kickstarter money. They sort of overreached when they let the backers vote on a second campaign, we could have chosen a fully fleshed out Seattle campaign but we wouldn't have gotten Dragonfall as a consequence. Of course no one knew that at the time.
>>
File: 1455681680022.gif (986 KB, 350x237) Image search: [Google]
1455681680022.gif
986 KB, 350x237
should I replay Dragonfall? Is there a way to make it interesting if you remember how quests generally end?
>>
>>341532505

I think there might be something about it that just rubs you the wrong way, Anon. It's not on Dragonfall's level, but it's still pretty good.
>>
>>341543694
Returns. It's not as bad as people make it out to be, my only gripes would be overly linear and the UI and inventory limitations sort of makes it feel like a tablet game at times (which it is but luckily you can just forget about that). Otherwise it's pretty good.
>>
>>341545904
Do quests differently.
>>
>>341546079

I really like some of the individual runs too in Dead Man's Switch.

The Telestrian run is quintessential Shadowrun.
>>
The bad ending in Dragonfall is bullshit.
99% of the dragons are portrayed as being literal autists who don't give a shit about humanity or metahumans and basically are the jews of the Shadowrun world, hoarding money and influence and basically making life worse for everyone but themselves
Heck even your team mates reasoning for not joining the doc are more about the death of Monika than actually thinking it's wrong to kill them
They literally drop a bad end just because you chose an "evil" choice, shit made no sense at all. So apparently there are some eldritch abominations and the dragons are the only things keeping them out? When by lore there are multiple beings stronger than them?
Fucking moral trash
>>
>>341546468
Yes anon, genocide is bad. What a surprise.
>>
>>341546468

Actually, it makes perfect sense if you know the setting. If anything, the bad end is more of a winking nod in the direction of old Shadowrun table-top fans.
>>
>>341524026
>Was a piece of shit
Not really, in terms of mechanics it's the superior game. It's story was kinda boring and aimless in comparison to Dragonfall but was still serviceable.
A shame we didn't get as much mods Dragonfall had since they did expand the gameplay.
>>
>>341536145

Dr. Xabier Ezkibel and Reliable Matthew.
>>
>>341546468
Yes actually, killing off the dragons would lead to exactly what happened at the end of Dragonfall based on the Shadowrun lore. The only thing that stopped the Horrors from entering our realm was Dunklezahn sacrificing himself as part of a blood magic ritual to power an artifact that prevented the mana spike from occurring. With him and the other dragons dead before they ever got the chance to do that, there was nothing left to prevent the end of humanity as shown.
>>
>>341528753
Not even close. Even it's sub par plot was better paced and had better NPCs than Returns.
>>
>>341546918

Also, gotta love both the complete hubris of Lofwyr when you don't kill the dragons, and the idea that it *could* have happened and didn't by a hair strand.

I'm kinda mad you can't put him down a bit right there at the end. They *were* dead. As much as he loves to play the big top manipulator that had it all under control.
>>
>>341546431
Exactly. I did like DF even more but it being bad is literally a meme, or maybe the tabletop crowd is more discerning. And tastes differ of course.
>>
In the category of small-budget cyberpunk game, started Dex yesterday, and while not bad the start feels kinda mediocre and I really can't seem to get into it.

Anyone played it and could say whether it's worth sticking with it?
>>
>>341541265
>>341541265
>>341541265

So basically the dragons were opressing Metahumanity for their own sake or something?
>>
>people actually like the Dragonfall NPCs

They're shallow archetypes with bad starting builds.

>stern military girl
boring waifu
>cold close combat girl
yawn
>alcoholic old man
wow so orig
>>
>>341524026
Hong Kong was fine though. Better gameplay overall, the campaign's funds were better stretched not giving the player too much money, the hub is a lot more comfy and unique with more interesting character arcs, and it does a far better job for people new to shadowrun, too. The game has a fuck ton of dialogue, but it's not all as useless though as that's how you figure out without a FAQ how to get the "best" ending in the game Where you save Raymond and everyone so nobody needs to die which was a far more clever approach to the ending than what Dragonfall, or what many other RPGs do in general, rewarding the player for actually paying attention to what the fuck everyone's on about through the game.

>>341546468
You should do more research about the universe you're talking about.
>>
>>341546468
Nigga most likely doesn't know the big D became president of UCAS.
>>
>>341532252
>"I've finished a mission, let me walk around town for an hour so I can speak to everybody"

This shit drove me bonkers, although it was mostly from my own doing. There was nothing stopping me from just advancing to the next mission, but I wanted to get each piece of dialog and learn about all the characters and was afraid I was going to miss something.

And the dialog was interesting, it's just that it's literally about 30 minutes to an hour between each mission to read through it all, and it's pretty much a straight text dump. Devs could've used some "show, don't tell" in a few parts of it.
>>
>>341548749
>Devs could've used some "show, don't tell" in a few parts of it.

Like what?
>>
Anyone heard anything about the Battletech game HBS has started working on? I wonder if DF was a fluke, or we might see something in line with its quality.

Surely there has to be a demo or something out for it soon?
>>
>>341548354

I wouldn't say that.Some dragons *are* oppressing humanity, other are manipulating it to their own ends. A few are just genuine cool guys. But they're also protecting humanity. If only because one protects one's own property.

Think lesser evil at worse, Dragon Jesus + JFK in one package at best.
>>
>>341549276
>>341549276

It seems to me like there were less dragons then should be for the benefit of humanity.
And push came to shove and metahumanity told the lot of them to fuck off.

And unintentionally sealed their doom by causing Event Horizon, The Apocalypse Edition.
>>
>>341548354
The dragons are an important part of the natural order of the Shadowrun world because they've been around for so long and know how all this magical shit is going to go down because it happens repeatedly in cycles. This time, the magical cycle had been sped up and a mana spike was coming just a few years after the end of Dragonfall. In the Shadowrun canon the dragons stopped that mana spike and prevented the Horrors from crossing over. Except, they couldn't do that in the bad ending of Dragonfall because they were all dead so the Earth was fucked.
>>
>>341549207

The project is what? 8? 9months old? Probably a bit too early to show a prototype. By their latest KS update end of may they were still building systems.
>>
>>341549802
>>341549802

I forgot about the dragons transcending the intro & outro of the cycles.

So The Horrors crossing over, and their death via metahumanity, was that cycle specific.

Or Curtain Call for the last time?
>>
>>341549207
>>341549949

Latest vid they posted on their youtube page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5OdR033_MI
>>
i thought hk was leagues better than dragonfall.

thats not to say i didnt like dragonfall.

but the dialogue options in hk was very well done. in a lot of rpgs you can kind of guess what the 'right' thing to say is. hk felt like you had times were you actually had to think about what you were going to say, because you didnt know how the other person would react.

there is one part with a lady at the end where she asks why you are entering the crazy fucked up city or whatever, whether you are going to try to kill the boss or not. and i had no idea what would set her off her not because you cant tell if she is good or bad. i appreciate that. i like when game dialogue surprises me, which is difficult to do when so many rpgs have been made and been played out.

granted there were plenty of no-brainer predictable choices in the game, but the few that surprised me were more than enough for me to enjoy the game.
>>
>>341550073
I don't think anyone can really answer that. Even if the mana levels dropped and the Horrors were forced back to their realm, the dragons and humanity would still be long dead.
>>
>>341550586
>>341550586

Yeah, so basically it's Curtain Call.

Y'know I'd love if someone with a budget proper would visualize some of the Armageddon class events that transpired in the Shadowrun universe.

Ala Animatrix style.
>>
>>341548965
A big one was the night club family's troubles. There were several of them with their own side stories to weave together, and even after sifting through each of their sides, the resolution isn't exactly very conclusive. It would've been nice for all of their dialog to have led up to a side mission to take to help patch up some of the past, such as taking one of the sons on a Shadowrun to show him what kind of people he's getting into or accompanying the father on a smuggler's errand.

Out of all the NPCs at the docks, Ambrose was the only one I didn't mind reading through because most of his information was pretty interesting to the lore of the setting. For the most part, everything else dealt with personal struggles that were ok to hear about, but nothing special.

The other issue with the text dumps is that I feel like I'm just blowing past everything on replays because I've already heard it.
>>
>>341549949
I had saw they sent out some of the backer rewards, I wonder what the flight jacket will be like? I didn't have as much interest in BT as Shadowrun, but I always felt bad I learned about their games after their kickstarter had ended because it would've been one of the few I would've donated to.

>>341550194
Neat.
>>
So who was the young guy with the two old farts that worshipped him?
>>
>>341551046
Oh, I see what you're saying now. I thought you meant for the game to convey the same information without all the text, which would have been very difficult. Especially for the NPCs that don't really have anything going on. At least Law and Matthew have some minor stuff going on.

>the resolution isn't exactly very conclusive

Don't things get horribly fucked up if you encourage their stupid ideas?
>>
the kreuzbasar was a character all its own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCX7m-Iwh3U
>>
>>341542569

Mages can fucking rip encounters to shreds in HK if there's a Dragon Line around. If you're not careful you can end up being a bigger threat to your own team than the enemies are.
>>
Any hope of HBS doing another Shadowrun game after Battletech?
>>
>>341551370

Don't know, but the man was rich enough to buy the wall neighborhood on a whim had he wanted.

Oh, and he wasn't young, he was just fabulously rich enough to benefit from top-of-the-line rejuvenating tech.
>>
>play a Decker with SMGs
>its garbage in combat but I don't have to take Is0bel (worst character they've written?)
Or
>play Jetstream Sam build and actually kill everything easily, but have to take Is0bel to deck

God damn it
>>
>>341551525
From what I remember that's the case, and that they all can be a big happy family if you go the other way.
The only way I think it wouldn't be conclusive is if you encouraged one but didn't encourage another, but then again I haven't played it in a while so I might just not be remembering correctly.
>>
>>341548354

Dragons are very smart and very experienced. Their individual motivations will vary, even the cuntiest of them will know that 1) metahumanity can be very good for them (especially since dragons are so good at manipulating them), and 2) Horrors overtaking the earth will be very, very bad for them.
>>
I liked HK better because I got to play the role of a domineering big sister and bossing Duncan around.

Apart from that I didn't really find any of the DF characters compelling except for Eiger and Monika (and Monika only because you were left with only bits of secondhand info to piece together about what sort of person she really was). Glory was literally anime-tier with her backstory. DF's story was definitely better than HK though.
>>
>>341552185
Just play as a decker with assault rifles.
>>
>>341551370

I don't know that they worshiped him. They just seemed to be friends.
>>
>>341552185
Why do you think you have to play a Decker using a SMG? My first character in HK with a Decker with hand razors. She was Molly and Case from Neuromancer rolled into one and she was perfectly playable. The AI really hates it when you're in melee range and would rather flee than shoot you at point blank range. I've also played a Decker with an assault rifle, that's a solid build as well. Characters don't have to be gimped in combat in these games to be effective at Decking as well.
>>
>>341553378
>a Decker with hand razors

That sounds awful.
>>
>>341552185
Why not Decker with rigging? You'll naturally be building INT anyway and your other stats probably won't be that high for direct combat either
>>
>>341552185
Just take Is0bel. And also just be more proactive in talking to her; otherwise her personality isn't all that apparent. Hell there's a lot more cool stuff to ween out of convos with her than any other character.
>>
>>341553512
Why does it sound awful? She was effective enough, all I care about is knocking people out of cover with melee so everyone else can shoot them. Someone has to handle the melee, if it wasn't her it would have been Racter's drone specced into melee.
>>
>>341553824
>all I care about is knocking people out of cover with melee so everyone else can shoot them

Should have gone with guns+monomolecular whip then. Or use flashbangs or Gaichu. Using what could easily be the most effective character in combat to just nullify enemy cover seems like a bad deal.
>>
>>341554241
I was never a fan of Gaichu. He can't hit the broadside of a barn half the time. As for grenades, I've never cared for them either. Combat in HK was so easy that there was really no reason to try to minmax for it anyway.
>>
>>341553790
She was dead to me after the DeckCon mission. She keeps you in the dark about a run, almost fucks is up in the elevator because of a personal grudge and has the gall to to go "Waaah, this is hard, I don't wana do it, you take over from here." Then it turns out the whole thing was because of a childish spat that could have been sorted out by simply talking to Rhombus.
>>
>>341554815
And she killed his cat. Truly a psychopath there.
>>
>>341554913
That too, and I don't even like cats.
>>
The bonus campaign surprisingly makes Hong Kong even worse.
>>
>>341552879
I suppose, but SMGs are more fitting for a Motoko Kusanagi type character
>>
>>341554815
She did fuck it up in the elevator when I did this run yesterday. Dude tried to punch her so she blew his head off instead. Bitch has some anger problems
>>
>>341555327
What's wrong with pistols? Popping 3 dudes with Chain Shot is better than chipping away at a guy's armor with a SMG.
>>
>>341555514
That's true, I think the revolvers are pretty satisfying.

I still wish I could play a pure melee/mage without Is0bel
>>
>>341554815
I thought that entire run was supposed to be comedic so I viewed it as such and it read a lot better.
>>
>>341555704
DF handled comedy better with Blitz's run and of course, the bioware sample run, though.
>>
>>341528753
Returns was a fucking abomination. Please ice yourself.
>>
>>341555893
I'm not making a comparison, I'm just suggesting the run might have been less shitty to you if you thought you weren't supposed to take it seriously.
>>
>>341554815
>disregarding an entire character because of one mission
And you must hate Shinji too for not getting in the fucking robot.
>>
>>341524026
I liked both Returns and Dragonfall, but does HK have good soundtrack? I can't stand Hong Kong levels with shit music
>>
>>341556425
More like the straw that broke the camel's back. I wasn't particularly fond of her prior to that either.
Thread replies: 200
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.