[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has a console gimmick every actually worked out and become an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5
Has a console gimmick every actually worked out and become an important part of gaming?

Sixaxis, the touch pad, dualshock vibration, motion controls, 3D, the power glove, light gun, the dreamcast memory card etc.

Why do they keep doing this shit?
>>
Rumble features started off as a gimmick.
>>
I just wondering ehat the fuck lights on ds4 suppposed to do
>>
>>341510828
dual analogs
>>
>>341511412

Who gives a shit about rumble? I don't even know when I'm not using it.
>>
>>341511669
the analog in general. the difference between an innovation and a gimmick is this

Innovation: Something new or irregular that allows something to be streamlined or introduced entirely.

Gimmick: Something that allows something to become more complicated or present previous work as something new.
>>
>>341511669

I suppose the answer is that they have done when they weren't really gimmicks but actually solutions to limitations in gaming. Like a wireless control or online gaming.
>>
>>341511412
haptic feedback =/= input gimmick
>>
>>341510828
Dualshock
>>
>>341512017
VR solves the lack of depth perception and 'true' immersion at once.
>>
File: 1307329729.jpg (110 KB, 1280x1147) Image search: [Google]
1307329729.jpg
110 KB, 1280x1147
>>341512097
>>
>>341511608
Its main function is to provide visual tracking for the PS camera, same way that the PSVR headset and Move controllers did it.
>>
>>341512362

Well kind of, but it's not an elegant solution that really fixes the limitations properly. Or in other words, it's not really a solution to those problems.
>>
>>341512362
Problem is that it isn't virtual reality. It's literally just a screen strapped to your face. That's all it is.
>>
>>341513145
But it is, especially once the tech improves and the headsets become slimmer and lighter. At that point there'll be no reason not to standardize them.
>>
>>341513459
>He's never used it
>>
>>341513621
I have tried it. It's not virtual reality. You'll go to any length to justify your bad purchase though so there's no point in arguing about it.
>>
>>341511608
You can type with it, it's the only good thing about it
>>
>>341513459
That's an overly simplistic way of looking at it, and suggests to me that you haven't tried modern VR even once. Between the screen and your eyes is a pair of lenses to trick your brain into thinking it's looking at objects much, much further away. In addition to that, the high refresh rate and head tracking make it nearly seamless and make distinguishing it from reality a genuine challenge.
>>
>>341514032
What makes you think he has one? I've only tried it a few times at demo booths and I genuinely believe in this tech. Just not enough to drop $800 yet.
>>
>>341513557

No matter how slim they are, having PSP goggles on is never going to work as a go-to gaming platform. It's uncomfortable and super un-social.

Granted it's not that uncomfortable, but I wanted to take that shit off after 10 minutes.
>>
>>341510828
>Has a console gimmick every actually worked out and become an important part of gaming?
Analog sticks.
They literally changed video games.
>>
>>341510828
D-pad
Joystick
Shoulder buttons
Rumble
Memory cards/save data
wireless
motion controls
>>
>>341510828
This is just the beginning with VR

I guess it having its roots in video games makes the most sense, but 10-20 years down the road, this shit is gonna be huge
>>
>>341514554

Analog sticks are as old as video games, dude.
>>
>>341510828
Infrared, I use the controller to point and type out faster messages all the time, compared to joystick movement.
>>
>>341510828
because even though those gimmicks don't exist today, they still made a lot of money in some cases.
>>
>>341514568

Most of them are in no way gimmicks. Nobody went "pfft, who wants to save their game instead of using a password?"
>>
>>341510828
Rearview mirror was the best feature of PSP
>>
>>341511412
This. Rumble was straight gimmick.
>>341511669
Analog isn't really a gimmick so much as an adaptation from 2d > 3d games and how those environments control.
>>
>>341515114
They are all gimmicks.

They were just so successful that they are now standard designs.
>>
>>341513557
No its not, you're still stuck with a fucking screen on your face. Thats like me strapping my face to a tv. Wjen we get to the point where that shit appears in our world without the need of a box and a controller then we can talk
>>
Actually I really like the PS4 touchpad. It's a really useful feature on PC, where the point and click interface is the default method of interacting with the operating system, not the shitty metro menu the PS4 has.
>>
>>341511608
It changes color so you know who is player 1 and who is player 2
>>
>>341514540
>It's uncomfortable
>Granted it's not that uncomfortable
Mixed messages, anon.

So you're saying it's only a little uncomfortable? That could easily be solved in further iterations.

>super un-social
I think you're missing the point entirely. Does it even matter if multiple people are looking at different screens to see the same game? Even if we ignore that, couch multiplayer is dying out on consoles at this point, and in the case of PC games, it was never relevant.
>>
>>341515556
read
>>341514163

>Wjen we get to the point where that shit appears in our world without the need of a box and a controller then we can talk
That's going to take a lifetime or two, anon.
>>
>>341510828
even if they were to succeed it would be copied somehow onto the PC and be better
>>
>>341515408

They're not gimmicks. A camera on a phone is a gimmick that became standard. There was really no need for a camera and when they first came in they were dogshit.

A touchscreen isn't a gimmick. Even if the first ones also sucked, because it wasn't excessive or unnecessary.
>>
Does the DS double screen count as a gimmick? That has to easily be the most successful gimmick in the history of gimmicks.
>>
>>341516274
>A touchscreen isn't a gimmick
People still try to defend the DS's touchscreen as not being a gimmick. Fucking idiots, of course it is.
>>
Gamepads
>>
I dunno, I think we might have gotten to the point where VR can see some value.
>>
I remember when the Gamecube wavebird came out, it looked like a weird as fuck concept with the tiny adaptor plugged into the controller port
>>
>>341515823

They're not mixed messages. I said I wanted to take it off after 10 minutes -- that's pretty uncomfortable. It's no so uncomfortable that you can't use them or they're completely impractical.

But they're uncomfortable enough that I don't want to wear them for hours at a time or when I'm just trying to relax.

I meant un-social in the sense that they force you to be on their own. Much like a tower PC that shackled you to a desk. One reason they less popular for quite a while was because adults can't as easily justify going into their rooms for 3 hours to be on their own.
>>
>>341516274

Camera on a phone is a great feature you nigger
>>
>>341516443

So I was fairly obviously talking about phone touchscreens which are standard on basically all phones now.
>>
>>341510828
Technically, PS pad's dual thumbsticks were a gimmick when it came out. Rumble, as mentioned.

Ooh, saves. Saves were a gimmick.
>>
Do you guys even know what a gimmick is?
>>
>>341516937
I don't think so. I haven't seen any gaming application where VR offers any advantage over 3D glasses.
>>
>>341515713
But 'metro' is the now defunct name for the awful 'everything will be flat coloured boxes' thing that MS has been doing on all platforms.
That said, I'd much rather have the old XMB back on the PS4 than the current UI.
>>
>>341517545
Basically something that's valued because it's a recent innovation, not necessarily because it's useful.
>>
File: vr.jpg (46 KB, 910x355) Image search: [Google]
vr.jpg
46 KB, 910x355
I'm just going to say this.

If they made the VR headsets AESTHETIC AS FUCK instead of those retarded boxy eye masks, everyone would automatically love it.

Imagine if the headset looked like the picture on the left instead of the one on the right. Everyone knows marketing is powerful (it's why the PS4 is winning, because it sure as shit has no games). Part of marketing is having a product that looks amazing.
>>
>>341517976
Rift is pretty sleek looking.
That is a full helmet though. People might not want to wear it.
>>
>>341517603
i couldn't say because I've never actually used either (3d glasses shit doesn't work for me), but I think having your entire sensory input engrossed in the game would be a whole new experience.
>>
>>341517976
Nobody wants to put a damned helmet on their head for VR. Goggles have weight issues as it is and they just cover your eyes, helmets would be entirely too heavy.
>>
>>341517603
Much better immersion and the ability to actually look around inside a space. For say a flight sim there's a big difference between having 3D glasses and trackIR hooked up so you can kind of get an idea of where things are intuitively and sort of look around versus just being able to look behind you.
>>341518476
I like how the Vive looks, it really has the 'bizarre cutting edge technology' thing down.
>>
>>341517545

In the context of marketing it's something that's basically pointless, but seems cool. Once you are bored of it you will throw it in the bin.

It's not literally any novel feature or product. That's not to say a gimmick can't become vital, but it certainly doesn't start off that way.

When you say "isn't that just a gimmick?" you're saying "isn't that an unnecessary feature that people will be disappointed with or will soon turn away from and go back to the old way of doing things?"
>>
>>341517976
who cares how aesthetic you are while playing games?
>>
File: helmet up.jpg (28 KB, 462x489) Image search: [Google]
helmet up.jpg
28 KB, 462x489
>>341518476

None of the VR headsets look sleek. They all look like some boxy looking eye mask old women wear when they go to sleep.

Just make it look like this with the screen liftable so you can get some fresh air if you need it.

>>341518764

If it was a helmet instead of a box strapped to your head, the weight would be distributed better. You could put components all over the place to distribute the weight better, you would have more support than 3 straps and the center of balance for it could be made to be the center of your head instead of infront of your face.
It might weigh a little more, but would feel like it weighs less due to how the weight is distributed better.
>>
>>341519018

Millions of people.

That is why customized consoles, controllers and even PCs are a huge market. (Even Microsoft is getting in on it, or did you miss the customizable controllers they announced at E3?)
>>
most of them have, in fact. vr also isnt a gimmick, think of it as a new display type. like color tv, or hd tv, etc.
>>
>>341519393
that's so they looks nice sitting on the shelf/desk.
>>
>>341519404

I could see it being kind of a smaller hobby item for more casual or artsy games. I can't see people sat on the couch with their girlfriend next to them while they are strapped in to VR for 3 hours at a time. Nor can I see people wanting to grind on an RPG for hours like that, or wanting to forgo using the big sexy TVs they own.
>>
>>341519238
You can distribute weight without wearing a hot, heavy hemlet.
Look at the PSVR, they managed jut fine.
>>
>>341510828
It only has to work once
>>
>>341519979
That's why all the current VR platforms output an image to the primary display as well as the headset. One of the guys working on PSVR even said that they're trying to make sure it isn't too solitary.
>>
>>341520068

PSVR is another huge box strapped to your face. It's weight distribution is terrible.

I'm calling it now. If VR gets popular people are going to bitch about the shitty design of the headsets because they distribute weight poorly and it causes neck fatigue.
>>
>>341512758
This
>>
File: 1465958039946.jpg (31 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
1465958039946.jpg
31 KB, 403x403
I'll say this now: PSVR will be a major stepping stone in the industry simply because Sony is doing it.

Rumble? Sony started it.
Dual Analog sticks? Sony popularized it.
Pressure sensitive triggers? PS3 popularized it; the Dreamcast, Gamecube, and Xbox triggers were never used for anything substantial.

Mark my words.
>>
>>341520998

>Pressure sensitive triggers? PS3 popularized it; the Dreamcast, Gamecube, and Xbox triggers were never used for anything substantial.
sonyggers actually believe this
>>
>>341520998
>PS3
>Console where the triggers were so awkward that most shooters still used the PS1/2 standard of using L1/R1 for aiming and firing
>>
>>341518536
Just having your vision in there does an incredible amount for you.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.