[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You excited for it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7
File: We_Happy_Few_logo.jpg (42 KB, 514x417) Image search: [Google]
We_Happy_Few_logo.jpg
42 KB, 514x417
You excited for it?
>>
>Learn about it one year ago
>See wonderful trailer in the kickstarter campaign
>See gameplay footage
>Open World Procedurally Generated Survival Roguelike with Crafting
Nope.
>>
>>341494531
I was until a pirated one of the recent EA builds just to see how it really played. Turns out its an unoptimised piece of shit with unintuive controls and clunky as fuck interface.
>>
I thought the trailer looked pretty cool.
>>
>>341494826
>Open World Procedurally Generated Survival Roguelike with Crafting

Wait what really?
I don't know if i feel disgusted or delighted, considering otherwise it would've been one of those hide and seek horror walking simulators
>>
>>341497789
It's also a stealth game, but you can fight back, although it's not recommended if you're fighting a large mob.
>>
its basically bioshock infinite: mechanical orange edition
>>
>>341498017
wait its called clockwork orange, got confused by regional localization
>>
I was confused as fuck when everyone was calling it a walking simulator considering the e3 tutorial demo thing had combat in it.

Then IGN released their 15 minutes hands on or whatever and confirmed it had combat.

It seems neat, gives me a bioshock vibe, the setting is pretty neat. I'd like to see more of the midgame content and learn a bit more about the story.
>>
File: cookie.jpg (51 KB, 400x509) Image search: [Google]
cookie.jpg
51 KB, 400x509
>>341494531
Cautiously so. The 'gameplay' trailer at E3 seemed neat, but all I've seen from the actual gameplay (which is from Alpha, and released a few months ago) just had me worried. I was hoping for something with story, player choice and exploration, but all of those are heavily compromised the instant you say 'procedurally generated'
>>
Looks disgusting.
>>
File: swan-like.png (8 KB, 254x134) Image search: [Google]
swan-like.png
8 KB, 254x134
this is the "WE'VE GOT A DOWNER CALL SECURITY" game right

i just hope the psychological stuff isnt limited to shock value cutscenes like in the trailer

itd be neat if it factored into gameplay or a bit more subtly, but just "oh youre actually whacking a dead cat because hallucinations and shit" seems a bit uninspired
>>
File: 1462726144_buzzzzo.png (2 MB, 861x1080) Image search: [Google]
1462726144_buzzzzo.png
2 MB, 861x1080
>>341494531
I've got the joy joy joy, down in my heart.
>>
Maybe I don't play enough of the genre but why does /v/ hate "rouglikes"?

I only ever played one, Binding of Issac, and that game was fantastic.
>>
>>341499150
I think everyone loves roguelikes.

Roguelites are pretty shit, though. Not all the time but they usually are, procedural generation is a cheap way to lengthen the playtime of your game.
>>
>>341499150
>binding of Isacc
>roguelike
Not a fucking chance.
>>
>>341499150
there's too many. that's pretty much the universal reason for the hatred.

personally, i think the gameplay in most is fairly shallow, and all that's actually there to keep the player playing is random chance and mmo-tier progression
>>
>>341499150
Dunno, only true roguelikes I've played are nethack and IVAN. IVAN was fucking sweet because you can cut a dude's arm off and beat him to death with it.
>>
>>341494531
Is this the first game with a protagonist with down syndrome?
>>
Is this set before LISA?
>>
Judging purely by the title and cover, absolutely not. I'd avoid this game like I'd avoid any band who'd name themselves We Happy Few.
>>
>>341499150
There's an important distinction between games that are actually like Rogue (ie. Shiren the Wanderer, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup) and shitty indie "rogue likes" (Binding of Isaac, Rogue Legacy).
>>
>>341499150
>>341494826
It's not really a roguelike; permadeath's just an option.
>>
File: 1445.webm (2 MB, 1066x600) Image search: [Google]
1445.webm
2 MB, 1066x600
>you forgot your JOY!
>oh no he is a DOWNER!
>clubbing and eating a pinata that makes obvious fleshy noises
>GUYS THIS IS ACTUALLY REALLY FUCKED UP DO YOU GET IT?

If the writing is anything to go by then no, I'm not excited for it.
>>
>>341500445
I thought that was Skyrim
>>
>>341501389
I'd like to imagine the initial trailer is a purposefully heavy-handed in it's presentation so the audience can understand what to expect when the game itself is, hopefully, more subtle and complex.
>>
>>341499150
STOP you're going to summon them

>>341499509
Whoops, too late
>>
>>341501389
This, I can't believe people are hyped for this piece of shit.
It's trying so hard to be a "le distopian world look how wrong it is!!!!" it hurts.
>>
>>341494531
>Open World
Kinda already expected this to an extent
>Procedurally Generated
oh no
>Survival
damnit
>Roguelike
whatever
>Crafting
fuck

another one bites the dust
>>
>>341494531
At first it seamed like the core premise of Bioshock actually done right by non retards but
>>341494826
If this is true then it will be just another garbungo game to discard.
>>
>>341501926
The majority of Xbox players have just read Animal Farm for the first (and likely last) time.
>>
>>341501873
Summon who? People that know the difference between roguelite and roguelike? Quit being such a pissbaby over your favorite game having one of the fucking letters changed in its genre name to make it more accurate.
>>
>>341501389
I see someone's never done dissociative drugs before.
>>
>>341502430
It's not the drugs that's the issue, it's the setting and themes that have been done a billion times. Not that I dislike "happy distopian" settings, but there's not much new that can be done with it.
>>
>>341502893
No, I agree with you. It seemed like they were implying that there aren't drugs that could make it totally plausible to think a rat is a pinata.

Unlikely that everyone would see the same thing, though.
>>
>>341501112
I remember when I used to call Rogue-like games that didn't have permadeath, like PMD, Roguelites, and then they invented shit like Binding of Issac and FTL that had even fewer similarities to Rogue besides the basic permadeath + random generation combo.
So what am I supposed to call shit like PMD now?
>>
>>341501389
I'm actually disappointed that the pinata was a rat instead of a pinata filled with giblets
>>
>>341494826
>rougelike
Why do faggot game devs. like to use words that aren't even the correct definition?
>>
>>341498017
>>341498153

this series of posts is underrated as fuck, i laughed my tits off
>>
>>341494531
>>341494826

In Agreement.

It was bland as fuck looking.
>>
>>341497362
No way, a pirated demo build of a game that isn't close to release yet is buggy and unoptimized? Oh well, better pack it all up, then.
>>
>>341494531
I'm cautiously interested, but the procedural generated areas makes me skeptical. It usually means the devs are shit at level design so they have to rely on a crutch and pass it off as "it's a roguelike, isn't that what you kids like nowadays?"
>>
>>341504221
I doubt people would have known it was giblets flying out, and the devs wanted maximum edge so a corpse needed to be shown. I'm just surprised they went with a rat. Really, with the size of piñata it would have made sense to make it a pig. Rats are also vermin so nobody gives a shit if it's beaten, but I'm sure people are still squeamish of seeing livestock get hurt.
>>
>>341506084
>>341504221

Dont forget we are talking dissasociative drugs here guys.

They dont actually THINK its a pinata, but they are hallucinating that its something to break and eat, which they are calling a pinata.

its jsut a shared delusion type thing, and the drugs make them happy enough not to care about the reality.

I mean this kinda shit is like what has people curtting thier dicks off and shit.

Maybe its like PCP, but without the violence?
>>
>>341494826
Basically. I like what they're doing and I like that Uncle Jack character but I don't think the gameplay would keep me entertained for long.
>>
>>341507849
We know. We're saying why didn't the devs choose anything other than a rat. It's obvious they wanted to garner some shock value from it, so a rat is pretty weak. Hell I would say use a puppy or something, but that would be too tryhard, hence go with a pig or something just as "innocent" people have been slaughtering rats in games and they're seen as vermin in real life, nobody was shocked nor gave a a shit when the rat was revealed.
>>
>>341508443
i think they should have changed the noises, or done it in flashes or something like the MC was coming "off" the drug and slowly realizing what it was.
>>
I was exciting for this game until I looked at the gameplay and realized it's another survival game where you just run around and punch people.
>>
>>341504832
A demo build they pretend to sell.
>>
>piñata
>spanish tradition

Are the devs even trying?
>>
It's kinda hamfisted, yeah.
>>
File: 1364435692027.gif (858 KB, 240x228) Image search: [Google]
1364435692027.gif
858 KB, 240x228
Why does every atmospheric and mindfucking game has to be retro-futuristic 50's style?

Dude we get it, fallout and bioshock send well but holy shit just stop.
>>
>>341513382
This is 60's, not 50's.
>>
>>341494826
they confirmed a single player story dumbfuck, there are two modes.
>>
>>341513685
Really? That's good to know. Is the story mode not procedurally generated and actually hand-designed??
>>
>>341513564
>the newspaper of the trailer states that they are in 1959
>60's
>>
>>341502258
I think anon meant the faggots who shit all over roguelites for not being hardcore enough.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVM1nUmDHHc

Seems fitting.
>>
>>341514810
>calender on his desk states it's Friday October 9 1964

I don't know how to reconcile these two conflicting facts. It surely can't be that he's erasing old newspaper records.
>>
File: Ren and Heer Stimpy.png (384 KB, 445x504) Image search: [Google]
Ren and Heer Stimpy.png
384 KB, 445x504
>>341514935
>i'd told you i'd shoot!, but you didn't believe me.
>WHY DIDN'T YOU BELIEVE ME
loved the ren and stimpy show
>>
>>341497789

I've played their current build plus talked to the devs and it's pretty much how that Anon describes it. There is a story but from what's been available in playable builds and communicated is that it's a bit like STALKER where you go to a designated marker on the map in a generated area.

Like I had to go back and forth to a few areas to get certain guard items that let me get past a town check point. Then I had to do something very similar again to get past another checkpoint for a train, all to lead me to a quest npc.

I didn't enjoy what I played but I'm hopefully optimistic they're holding back a lot to not give spoilers. So it can go either a trite open world direction like a lot of recent games or hopefully it leans towards Pathologic more survival horror.
>>
>>341516068
>Find out the lyrics and Stinky Wizzleteats was based on a real person
>>
>>341494826
Yeah when I saw the e3 trailer it seems like a really great concept for a story driven game.

Then it's the typical indie game... Shame, it really is.
>>
>great fucking concept
>wasted on open world precedurally generated insta death survival shit

Should have been a game like bioshock where its kinda linear but you get to explore some parts of this fucked up world.
>>
>>341518014
I just saw a post that said there's a story mode too.. Is there confirmation?
>>
>>341518015
>insta death
meant to say permadeath
>>
I seem to be getting the opposite feeling.
I liked the style but was turned off by the cinematic bio shock style build up it just felt so done. Now that they've mentioned it's focusing on procedurally generated survival I feel a lot more open to it, I always felt like Bioshock held your hand way too much and only truly shone when the devs left you alone in the world for more than ten minutes.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.