[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would /v/ react to a full from the ground up remake of this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6
File: Dxcover.jpg (125 KB, 362x450) Image search: [Google]
Dxcover.jpg
125 KB, 362x450
How would /v/ react to a full from the ground up remake of this game? And let's face it, if Mankind Divided does well enough, the idea may not be entirely far fetched either.

I think it would actually work.
>>
File: garbage.jpg (554 KB, 1536x1024) Image search: [Google]
garbage.jpg
554 KB, 1536x1024
i gave up on this game the second they said
>the Illuminati
better to just start from cyber-punk scratch
>>
GMDX exists, I'm good.
>>
>>341482884
Did Templars, Bilderberg, Majestic 12, black helicopters and men in black not clue you in on what kind of game it is?
>>
>>341482523
I'd be up for it. As long as they got back as many original VAs as possible. I will not have anyone else but Cliff for Bob Page.
And only if there's a sequel that was actually good and rendered invisible war non canon
>>
>>341482523

Everyone goes on and on about how amazing it is, but it's just so clunky and dated that I could never get into it. Human revolution was awesome so I'd be down for a DX1 remake.
>>
>>341482884
How the fuck did you get that far without noticing it's a conspiracy soup?
>>
>>341482523
If it's like HR, I'd be utterly uninterested. I think it's pretty unnecessary period, though. I fucking hate remakes. On the off chance it really captured the design philosophy of the original it could be neat, but it would probably just be like HR. So no thanks.
>>
>>341484221
What could HR have done differently from a gameplay standpoint that you would have preferred?
>>
>>341484583
not him but I think one of things he means is the way the original game didn't take control out of your hands with cutscenes
For example if the original game had the same mission of planting a Tong snr's bomb in the office, you'd be forced to find your own way out within 10 seconds as opposed to a cut scene showing JC jump out the window like Adam does in HR.
>>
>>341484583
I think HR mostly lacks the emergent quality that made the original so compelling. It's more of just a stealth-action game with different routes. The original DE had overt routes too, but what made the game so fun is getting into and working your way out of the scenarios you found yourself in given your build (and/or general skill level).

I haven't seen much of anything from MD.
>>
>>341482523
I would probably still get it even if it ran at 30 fps with unstable framerate, had long ass load times and was missing some side content.
>>
>>341484932
This is also true. Shit like the cover system and takedowns are another thing.
>>
>>341482523
I'm actually pleasently surprised MD actually brings back multi tools to open locks
>>
>>341484583
Not that guy, HR worked fine on its own but it differed in design philosophy from the first game. If the original Deus Ex was remade following HR, it would stop being the original Deus Ex.

But while we're at things that could be improved in HR, we could start with not having anything as disgusting as a cutscene OHKO button in place of melee. The way batteries worked was also pretty lame.
>>
>>341485127
takedowns were the same thing as thracking somone from behind. You needed to still get close up and press a button when behind them.
Using the "you needed to aim for that triangle" stuff goes out the window once you get the dragon's tooth sword
>>
I'd actually play the game then since I don't have the prerequisite nostalgia to play it now.
>>
>>341482523
If the only difference (other than graphics) is HR gameplay, I'm all for it
>>
>>341485127
You can play the whole game without using either of those though, and take downs are fine in my opinion. They have a great risk/reward factor and make perfect sense for a stealth game.
>>
>>341485572
I played it for the first time in 2012 and loved it.
>>
>>341485651
What risk? HR takedowns are unmissable instakill from any angle at more or less 2m proximity. It's also completely silent and somehow counts for that game's definition of 'ghosting'.
>>
>>341485741
I tried it that year as well, beat Liberty Island and stopped playing since it felt bad to play.
Shame too as I would like to enjoy it.
>>
>>341485883
The risk of having to approach your enemy up close without being caught and the benefit of not having to use ammo. It's not always viable for all situations and couldn't be any more balanced. There's literally nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>341485897
I tend to quit at Liberty island because I want to replay it again. It's a very replayable level,

Once I finished it first time round I had to force myself to play past LI but once it got to the hells kitchen level it felt better and then everything from unatco escape onward became GOAT.
>flatlander woman
>>
>>341484932
Yeah, minimal cutscenes and freedom of how to complete missions led to some really cool moments
>Betraying Simons and jumping off the building to survive the attacking guards
Still the most intense experience in vidya I've ever had
>>
Deus Ex is a PC game. HR is a console game.

There's plenty of design changes that come with it and they may put some people off.
>>
>>341487059
What kind of differences are you talking about besides the UI?
>>
>>341487059
nice mem e
>>
>>341487176
Cover based shooting is a big one. Then there's the tendency to lessen player control with things like preset cutscene attacks.
>>
>>341488000
Alright, those are a few examples of new additions to the series that original Deus Ex players may not be used to, but why are they an issue? It's not like any of the core mechanics like crouch sneaking and shooting have been fundamentally changed in any significant way since the first game.
>>
>>341488000
it's not like the original was very deep in gameplay anyways, i appreciate the attempt to spice it up.

Besides i wouldn't call it a "console" mechanic just merely a "modern game" mechanic.
>>
>>341482523
Just play GMDX retard.
>>
Just finished playing it last week after watching SomethingAwful's LP. Amazing game, and I liked Walton Simons way more than I should've.

And yes, I've seen Recut and the Malkavian Mod.
>>
Honestly, I think it needs to happen. The prequel games are really suffering from having to fit in to the timeline established by the original Deus Ex. If they treated it as some kind of alternate continuity and gave DE:MD some freedom in it's ending choices, a ground up remake would be a great follow up.
>>
>>341488858
It's literally the difference between Gears of War and Half-Life.
>>
>>341490535
UNATCO?
>>
Fuck no. They will ruin it. No question about it.

The devs of HR may not be as shitty as your average current AAA fag devs but they're still incapable of dealing with something as cohesive and intelligent as the first game.

HR is fucking shit.
>>
>>341491359
Savage
>>
>>341491359
No, Savage.
>>
>>341491094
It's literally not. You do all the same shit and more. Face it, HR and MD play exactly as a Deus Ex game in the current generation should.
>>
>>341491575
I meant the general feel. Half-Life and Deus Ex were basically first-person run-and-guns on the Quake engine, while Gears of War and Human Revolution were overproduced third-person cover-based shooters.
>>
File: 1465762699994.gif (11 KB, 128x163) Image search: [Google]
1465762699994.gif
11 KB, 128x163
>keep trying to replay this game
>get to paris
>lose all motivation

it doesnt really help that the game is ridiculously easy on anything less than realistic because of abundant rocket ammo if you use it wisely and instakill headshots
>>
File: Jontron_goes_to_4chan.gif (210 KB, 280x199) Image search: [Google]
Jontron_goes_to_4chan.gif
210 KB, 280x199
>>341492173
>lose all motivation
>paris
>>
>>341482523
The only way I would ever be interested is if all the original devs got together to remake it and even then it's unnecessary because Deus Ex runs fine on modern systems.
>>
>>341492173
i didn't even play the game, i just killed everyone with the meme-lightsaber and skipped to hear the story.
>>
>>341492459
You already have the Shifter mod.
>>
>>341491863
>Deus Ex
>Quake Engine

C'mon anon.
>>
>>341493063
Unreal Engine. Whatever.
>>
>>341482523
As long as it isn't as bad as the revision mod, i'm all for it.
>>
>>341482523
Honestly i wouldn't mind a HR/MD styled remake of the original deus ex, it might shit on the RPG elements but it'd be tons of fun
>>
>>341486486
>tfw I pre-killed a bunch of UNATCO guys accidentally when I threw a skull at a box of TNT
Deus Ex is fun
>>
>>341482523
I plain don't think it needs to be done. I mean it'd be cool if they could add stuff that was never implemented like a UNATCO route or pro-Page ending but realistically it wouldn't happen, and the game's systems would suffer due to catering to HR fans.
>>
>>341485405
>takedowns were the same thing as thracking somone from behind. You needed to still get close up and press a button when behind them.
You can't possibly be this retarded.
>>
>>341482523
I'd take a Deus Ex remake only if Streum On did it.
>>
The most mindblowing moment I've ever had playing a video game was finding out the MJ12 base was in the restricted area part of UNATCO.
>>
>>341485405
Using non-lethal takedowns, or even melee in general in Deus Ex all depended on your weapon, you melee skill, and even whether or not you had the combat strength aug.

You would even have to target specific portions of an enemies back to knock them out.

That's extra layers of complexity that made stealth non-lethal harder to do in Deus Ex. Especially compared to how there is no excuse to just knock everyone out if you want to minmax.
>>
>>341491575
>HR and MD play exactly as a Deus Ex game in the current generation should.
What the fuck does this even mean?

HR doesn't feel like Deus Ex at all unless all you took from Deus Ex was crawling through vents. The levels are claustrophobic as hell, cover-based design with chest high boxes/crates/whatever littered all the fuck over the place, still no skill system, augmentations were worse than either the original or Invisible War, no melee options, no leaning, no real inventory/consumables management, very, very little environmental interaction, etc.

If your argument is that HR has most of the features of the week present in 99 percent of every shitty triple-A game released in the last few years, I guess you're right. That's not exactly an achievement.
>>
>>341482523
A remake could potentially alter the gameplay in a negative way, and would likely change the voice acting.

>>341485741
I played it for the first time last year and I loved it.
>>
>>341482523
I'd like to see this. I trudged through the first game and I didn't enjoy it. I don't know why people put this game on a pedestal. I played through Invisible War and Human Revolution and I enjoyed both of them far more than the original.
>>
>>341486486
Or thinking ahead and knocking/killing all the UNATCO guys ahead of time results in Simons congratulating you on your paranoia.

I loved moments like that.
>>
>>341482884
But conspiracies and secret societies are fundamental to cyber punk?
>>
>>341486486
Or this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT7sjoH8Sqc

Pulling off something like that would make someone feel like an elite augmented agent. No cutscenes required.
>>
>>341483727
Invisible War was a fun game
>>
I don't think so. I feel the developers were aware of the clunkyness of the engine and gameplay, and decided to make the game around that.

That's why GMDX makes the game way easier.

It would need to be almost entirely overdone.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.