[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Reactor Online. >Sensors Online. >Weapons Online.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 12
File: Mechwarrior3.jpg (153 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Mechwarrior3.jpg
153 KB, 1024x768
>Reactor Online.
>Sensors Online.
>Weapons Online.
>All Systems Nominal
>>
I can't not hear it anymore, I'm tempted to find a sound clip and use it as my alarm tone now
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCmrp38KjYg
>>
File: 1463946147767.jpg (47 KB, 621x502) Image search: [Google]
1463946147767.jpg
47 KB, 621x502
>mfw Living Legends is dead
>mfw Mechwarrior Online is fucking garbage
>mfw mecha genre is basically dead and has been for years
>>
>>341371019
so who owns mechwarrior now? Is there any chance of it coming back?
>>
File: feel mech.png (43 KB, 669x627) Image search: [Google]
feel mech.png
43 KB, 669x627
>>341372683
>that Mechwarrior 3015 bait and switch
I will never not be salty
>>
>>341372828
They gave it a shot with Mechwarrior Online. It kinda sucked. It's always a tough franchise to deal with because of Harmony Gold being dipshits about infringement on their dead IPs.
>>
>>341372683
Well, at least they're making that turn based tactics one. Maybe that won't be shit.
>>
>>341372828

Piranha Games. The same developers that helped give us such gems like Duke Nukem: Forever.
>>
>>341372828
A dead end company that screwed MWO.

MW3 and co are all downloadable on the high seas. MW4 was working pretty easy on my Win 7 system. You have to fiddle with the others and MW2 I have no idea how to get it up and going.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (214 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
214 KB, 1440x900
>>341373117
It's just a vidya adaptation of Battletech. If it is shit, there are other places to play Battletech online, just without the fancy graphics.
>>
File: 1443258206674.jpg (41 KB, 442x740) Image search: [Google]
1443258206674.jpg
41 KB, 442x740
>>341373087

Mechwarrior is dead, anon... I'm sorry..
>>
>Core meltdown imminent
>Shutdown sequence overridden
>Internal ammo explosion detected
>Ammo depleted
>>
>>341371996
>Wake up to that
>Spend whole day stomping around like your a mech
>WRRRR-CHK! WRRRR-CHK!

I actually wanted to buy some special stilts used by furries to recreate digitigrade legs once so I could figure out how to make a mad-cat cosplay.
>>
>>341373273

I put around 600 hours into MWO. It was fun for awhile but PGI is easily one of the most incompetent developers in the industry.
>>
>>341373115
Harmony Gold's no problem. They only own the rights to a few designs out of hundreds of mechs, and that can be gotten around anyway by just redrawing them to be a tiny bit different. They can't sue over a design that only looks similar to theirs, even if it is clearly a knockoff.
>>
>>341371019
>watch the MW intros

Jesus christ is the universe really this fucking gritty it's like 40k
>>
File: 1442800859291.png (8 KB, 445x374) Image search: [Google]
1442800859291.png
8 KB, 445x374
>>341371019
I want to play as a giant robot. Are these all some kind of multiplayer only games? I don't like multiplayer games.
>>
File: 1464642769183.webm (2 MB, 1152x854) Image search: [Google]
1464642769183.webm
2 MB, 1152x854
>>341372683
>mek-tek hosted MW4:Mercenaries for free with all the fan patches
>gets wiped along with LL to make way for Online

Just let it all burn.
>>
>>341371019

>Activate Interlock
>Dynatherms connected
>Infracells up
>Megathrusters are go
>>
>>341374012

The games aren't THAT gritty but the lore to Mechwarrior is very very dark. The novels are alright, the issue with them though is that they're all written by different authors so it doesn't flow very well. With that being said, they are pretty entertaining and fairly graphic.
>>
>>341373745
>>341371019

these screenshots dont actually look too bad id play that again, any versions still compatible with win 7/8?
just by looking at the HUD you get depth you dont see with games made currently
>>
>>341373854
>They can't sue over a design that only looks similar to theirs, even if it is clearly a knockoff.

Harmony Gold is known for suing anyone and everyone who uses designs that even look like they could possibly be inspired by Macross designs. They sent IGN a C&D for hosting the first MWO trailer.
>>
>>341374501

You can download MW4: Mercs for free, you can find the download links for it all over google. There's an article I read a long time ago that walks through how to get it to work on 7/8/10. Too lazy to look it up, sorry anon.
>>
>>341374012
Not really, it's literally just Feudalism in Space. The grittiest it got was when a splinter faction of the Space Cable Company violated the ancient ban on nukes and started fucking people up for no reason.
>>
>>341374349
It's not that dark. If you join the army then you'll see a lot of combat and might die, sure, but it's not like that's that odd. You can live as a civilian no problem. Even Clan civilians can have a decent life if they don't try to rock the boat.
>>341374541
Because it used the original Warhammer design. There've been no problems since they modified it slightly.
>>
>>341374091
MW1: old as shit but is kinda like mount and Blade in space. You lead a lance (you and four other pilots) on a quest for revenge. It's really out of date and extremely brutal.

MW2: Grim, gritty, and better. It has a single player story set in a period of time called the Refusal War. The Mercenaries expansion is the best though and it's where you lead a mercenary company before the Clan invasions come There's a lot of management and it's all-round awesome. But it's a bitch to get running and basically requires dosbox and some nostalgia.

MW3: my favorite, it has that single player goodness with all the customization and lance tactics all packaged into and engine and game that aged well.

MW4: The easiest to access. It has single player and an awesome Mercenaries expansion. Get this and play it first. The customization is casualized but also more sensible in many ways. The game is faster, but it still has depth and excellent combat. The story in MW4 is pretty corny, but that's cause of FMV, other than that this is pretty much the premier SP Mechwarrior game because of it's mercenaries expansion and ease of access.

A warning though. These MW require technical fiddling and are better found in torrents. I don't have a guide, but I'm sure someone has one somewhere to get each game running on most modern systems.
>>
File: msn-zone.jpg (94 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
msn-zone.jpg
94 KB, 800x600
Why, hello there
>>
>uncle builds my brother and I a PC for Christmas when we're 6 and 7
>gave us a box of burned games
>super fucking dope since CD burners were super expensive in the 90s
>had one big box wrapped next to it
>fucking Mechwarrior 3 with the force feedback joystick
>spent weeks afterwards completing the campaign
>got absolutely rekt online all the time
>still have a long yearning to break out the stick and play it again

I just know it won't be the same.
>>
>>341374808

Word of Blake?
>>
>>341374238
Oh man, don't remind me. The Mektek shenanigans still get me all heated up
>force people to download an unbelievably bad Steam ripoff client to play the free release of MW4
>the new content is 5% good, 5% decent and 90% utter garbage that is mostly extremely good at sticking out like a sore thumb compared to vanilla assets
>said 90% is also either incredibly useless or incredibly overpowered, depending on the modder's personal affinity towards the mech or weapon in question
>absolutely nothing integrates into singleplayer properly, gamebreaking stuff is available right out of the gate and no enemy ever uses the added content either, just vanilla shit
>seriously that goddamn MTX client still makes me mad, willingly inflicting coding of that QUALITY level onto other people should be a fucking war crime (seriously that thing took MINUTES to start up and managed to take up hilariously massive amounts of resources, you think Steam was ever bad? You don't know jack shit)
>the free release of course forces all this shit onto everyone because fuck you we want everyone to embrace our shitty content

I tried Mekpak 3 back when the free release wasn't even announced yet, and I was still highly critical of the quality. When it turned out to be forced I was rather mad, and even thinking of the MTX shitshow still makes me shudder. Fuck those hacks
>>
>>341375313
Sounds like I'll probably start with 3 or 4. Thanks a lot for the response, anon.
>>
>>341375752
4 is certainly the most approachable. The gameplay is arguably the most streamlined and it's not that hard to get working, no ridiculous song and dance required. As far as Mercs goes, I recommend you hunt down the original unmodded release, it's a tigher and more cohesive package than the free release which adds on a fuckton of stuff with little regard to the quality within
>>
>>341375752
Three will be the hardest to get running so be sure to check some tutorials.

MW4 I found it to be easy, just install and crack from a good torrent.

>>341376136
Yea listen to this guy, if the free release is still floating around I recommend vanilla first (pirate)
>>
>>341374501
I think it varies depending on the hardware.

It runs fine for me in Windows 8 after I ran it with dgVoodoo2 and used vsync to limit the framerate, but I keep reading about other people still having problems such as broken physics (e.g. bouncing vehicles, jumpjets not working). Sometimes the game bugs out a bit on me and enemy turret emplacements no longer fire, but they work again after I reboot my PC (a real reboot, not the Windows 8 fake shutdown shit), it's very strange.

>>341374793
MW4 is a lot easier to run on modern systems and should work out of the box. However, if you're on Windows 8, the game will have severe performance problems on fullscreen mode and you'll need to get a modified ddraw.dll to fix the issue.

>>341375313
I don't think the combat in MW4 is excellent at all. With the way mechs were made to take so much more damage, fights generally devolve into prolonged short range circlestrafing. Maybe it's excellent if you're playing against real players, but the AI is too simple and having fights last so long just makes the AI's lack of sophistication more apparent.
>>
File: Warhammer_MWO.png (633 KB, 804x927) Image search: [Google]
Warhammer_MWO.png
633 KB, 804x927
>>341374541
Currently the current holders Battletech are redesigning old HG mechs. Owners of MWO are following suit and have started releasing them with their own spin on them.
Pic related, its in game and HG doesn't seem to be doing anything about it.
>>
>>341371019
UA/ICE CITY GO GO GO
>>
>>341376741
Most of my time with the game was in online. I like the game's combat well enough but MW3 will always be my preferred.

Telling someone to do some troubleshooting just to get into Mechwarrior is not something I tell them to do. If they want 3, they'll work for it but just to get in MW4 works as an introduction.
>>
Jesus Christ, what I would do to be able to play MW3 again. I can't get the damn thing working for the life of me. I just want someone to get the rights and have it re-released on GOG so I don't have to spend days fucking around with patches, compatibility settings, and virtual machines just to get thirty minutes of gameplay without crashing. None of the fixes people talk about have worked for me. I try for a week out of each year to no avail.
>>
File: SHADOWCAT1.jpg (78 KB, 656x713) Image search: [Google]
SHADOWCAT1.jpg
78 KB, 656x713
>>341376969

If there's one thing that PGI can do right, it's making cool Mech art and designs. Pic related. My favorite Shadow Cat to pilot before I abandoned the game.
>>
>>341376969
They're reseen. Basically shit with HG got sorted out in court. MWO is making a point of releasing a bunch of previously unseen mechs that HG had tied up in the courts.
>>
>>341377482
As long as you have an Nvidia card and cap the FPS to 30 you can run the game with no problem thanks to legacy Voodoo drivers in Nvidia cards.

If you play the game about 30 fps it can get a little wonky, physics and the UI stop working sometimes, vehicles and mechs can bounce a million miles into the air, locking onto mechs can get bugged, stuff like that.
>>
>>341377761
You can get the game working perfectly fine too even if you have an AMD card, thanks to dgVoodoo2.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.