[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you make secrets and exploration rewarding in an era where
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Amano_Gogo.jpg (184 KB, 704x1000) Image search: [Google]
Amano_Gogo.jpg
184 KB, 704x1000
How do you make secrets and exploration rewarding in an era where people can just look everything up on the internet?
>>
by having the base gameplay be fun
>>
>>341363908
Don't look shit up you fucking gay ass piece of shit, what the fuck is wrong with you.
>>
>>341363908
Add a ton of secret stuff, and make them harder to find.
>>
>make one "secret" that awards an achievement
>have it be incredibly obvious, like shooting the off-colored torch or something
>include it in the base game
>let a few weeks pass so the immediate rush of players dies out and only big fans are still playing
>secretly add your real secrets in along with some bug fix
>>
>>341363908
I always thought Undertale did this well. Say what you will about the game but I thought it did a great job of avoiding secret stuff being spoiled by just layering so much of it it would be impossible to get it all spoiled without actively going out to find it all.
>>
>>341363908
Add an element of randomness, I'd say. That way you can't look up walkthroughs of where something is and how to get there.

Like, dungeons that change their layouts every time as well as what's in them. This would encourage you to explore the entire dungeon, as you never know what's in it this time.
>>
Big Ed hid his secret behind an ARG. Honestly in a time where people can go in and look at code fairly easily it's a decent way of doing it.
>>
>>341366638
Do you mean Edmund Mcmillen or another Ed?
>>
>>341363908
Datamining is a bitch. I suppose just try to give little context to secrets as possible.
>>
>>341363908
make the secrets and exploration fun
>>
>>341363908
trust that the people who honestly want to "get" my game won't spoil themselves like impatient morons.
>>
>>341363908
random generation
>>
>>341366638
But I want my steak in full.
>>
>>341366638

>behind an ARG
>ARG
>people playing the game and looking for the final unlock in vain until Ed tells someone to go to Cali and dig up a garden in front of his van
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.