[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can Video Game Piracy Be Stopped?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: crysis-2-pirate-bay-625x339.png (327 KB, 625x339) Image search: [Google]
crysis-2-pirate-bay-625x339.png
327 KB, 625x339
So, I just recently built myself a gaming computer for the first time and HO-LY-SHIT there are so many video games out there free for download.

With the exception of Far Cry Primal and Rise of the Tomb Raider, I managed to find almost all the big titles.

Can gaming companies do anything to stop this without interfering with our rights and freedoms?

I have taken precautions like not installing Windows 10 and making sure that I never use any accounts with my actual name attached to it, and if I really wanted to take it a step further, I could even install Linux and become even more evasive with piracy.

Anyone got any news/opinions about this?
>>
They really can't do anything short of streaming the game to your computer.
>>
Given denuvo's success I think we're going to see more and more major titles using it.
>>
Piracy is part of modern media consumption now, it's not going away any time soon. Feel free to pirate stuff but buy your favourite stuff to support those who you feel really earned a sale.
>>
File: SEGA_CHANNEL_1jpg.jpg (51 KB, 486x450) Image search: [Google]
SEGA_CHANNEL_1jpg.jpg
51 KB, 486x450
>>341362282
>>341362282
Haha, remember Sega Channel from the 90's? Or am I old as fuck?

>>341362730
>denuvo
Is there no way around it, or is it something that the hackers just haven't cracked yet?

The titles I mentioned use Denuvo, and haven't been cracked yet.
>>
The important thing is to have a buying culture, where buying games is considered the "standard" thing do to, even if lots of people pirate stuff.
If you don't have that and buying is culturally viewed as abnormal, then things don't work and there's no market. You can see that situation in some countries.

I heard Korea transformed from the former into the latter and that's why it's all online games there now. Is that true?
>>
>>341364546
So far, it's just something that hasn't been cracked. It's sort of weird, because i don't pirate ever really, but the 2 games i've looked to pirate in the last 2 years are both denovu free. Not sure what games have it. Maybe it will matter to me eventually, but really with steam refunds, i never pirate anymore. I've purchased and refunded 14 games give or take since introduction, with the most recent being hearts of iron 4. It's the only reason i pirate anyways, to try shit out.
>>
>>341361802
>Can gaming companies do anything to stop this without interfering with our rights and freedoms?
piracy is literally just an advanced version of loaning your disc to a friend

there is no way to get rid of that without interfering with our rights

their only safeguard is to create more "uncrackable" shit like denuvo, or make server-side "online only" games that nobody wants

piracy isn't an issue though, so companies won't risk angering their customers with dumb shit like that
>>
>>341364662
Maybe, but you have to remember that the biggest games in Korea, Starcraft / Warcraft / Diablo were not blocked by any kind of DRM, they had a serial number for online play, and that was it. People passed around spawned copies for days. I did it , even. I have personally used the same diablo 2 and warcraft 3 key for literally dozens, maybe even a hundred activations with other people. I imagine it's something similar in koreas case.
>>
>>341364546

They managed to bypass the previous version but 3dm, the only group really managing to make progress with it, have given up.
>>
I think this is pasta
>>
Right now Denuvo has stopped piracy for some titles. For example Just Cause 3 released more than half a year ago and is still not pirateable. There is no such thing as uncrackable DRM, but it is taking very long and may get to a point where the crackers don't have the time/resources to crack every Denuvo game.
>>
>>341362282
Well you could combine something like Denuvo with always online DRM constant hash checks and so on.
It would also fit OP's "without interfering with our rights and freedoms" because you just a license taker. Adobe is already on that boat.
>>
>>341365653
I don't think it's a bad thing to have drm or whatever, but it does suck that you MUST have online. I flew a 3 hour flight and i was having a hard time finding steam games to play during the flight. Kind of sad.

I ended up resorting to aoe2 though.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.