[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was this the best in the series?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 188
Thread images: 39
Why was this the best in the series?
>>
I don't know but I agree with you OP.
Have a bump.
>>
>tfw still have lumps and bruises from getting my limbs hacked away with a battle axe
Close one desu
>>
>>341345490
Because Skyrim is actually secretly shit and Morrowind while a great game is the apex of fanboys pretending the game was 2000x better than it was.
>>
it wasn't 2bh, it's the worst of the three TES games people actually care about.
>>
because RPGs are fundamentally about completing quests and Oblivion has by far the best quests of any TES game
>>
>>341347030
Winrar right fucking here
NOTHING has topped the quests in this game
The dark brotherhood quest line alone is better than every quest in skyrim combined
>>
>>341347030
RPGs are fundamentally about the player's actions having a meaningful impact on the world and Morrowind is the only TES game that respects the player's freedom to make bad choices
>>
>>341345490
comfy world/ comfy towns/ interesting and fun quests

Haven't played Morrowind but I know Oblivion blew the shit out of Skyrim
>>
>>341345490
Because Morrowind aged like milk and Skyrim was a huge let down.
>>
>>341347030
>RPGs are fundamentally about completing quest
Doesn't make a difference when the questgivers are potatofaces and the environment is a cliche, blurry countryside with no memorable locations. Skyrim's overworld is by far the most immersive, detailed, and fleshed out
>>
>>341347575
I disagree. A lot of quests only concern one particular person or one village. They often don't have a global impact. You can be a good samaritan as opposed to a superhero. I like the story behind a quest more than the scale of its impact

>>341347803
>Doesn't make a difference when the quest givers are potatofaces
it's actually the potatofaces that don't make a lick of difference to how the quests are laid out
>>
File: 45345345345.png (3 MB, 1634x1048) Image search: [Google]
45345345345.png
3 MB, 1634x1048
>buy a mansion
>it's haunted

Every fucking time.
>>
>>341347575

>Bethesda are obsessed with their "People should be able to 100% the game in one playthrough" and "never allowing the player to fuck up".

The only mistake I've seen someone make was when my little Sister attacked a character with the Wabberjack, it turned him into a Sweetroll and she ate him. Turns out she needed him for a quest later.
>>
>>341348231
For some reason I find this erotic
>>
>>341348623

Vore is a helluva fetish.
>>
File: oblivion.jpg (245 KB, 850x2000) Image search: [Google]
oblivion.jpg
245 KB, 850x2000
>>341346691
This. It hits the right spot between ultra super hardcore total RPG, and casualness.
>>
>>341348026
You cheap ass, you bought it because it barely cost anything

Oblivion is the best for me at least
>>
>>341348026
>buy a mansion
>fill it with stuff
>get bored and never return because nothing to do inside but swap items
>>
>>341348838
waterfront must be cheaper and it's super comfy
>>
>>341345490
Because it was bland and boring.
People like that.
>>
File: comfy window oblivion.gif (3 MB, 693x724) Image search: [Google]
comfy window oblivion.gif
3 MB, 693x724
>>341345490
Because it didn't have the shit-tier radiant "you can LITERALLY play forever" quests from Skyrim and it was comfy as fuck.
>>
>>341345490
Mods
>>
>>341348838

5k gp was a lot for me. I was always poor in Oblivion for some reason.
>>
>>341349764
>it was comfy as fuck.
i found being outdoors in skyrim way comfier than any of oblivion's small towns and cramped interiors
>>
>>341349764
>comfy
What does this shit even mean. I for one think Oblivion was artistically anemic odorless, tasteless lorerape which gets it's praises because for most of /v/ it was their first TES.
>>
It is a poor man's Witcher 3.
>>
>>341348693
>lovers
>lovers
>lovers
>lovers
gee anon, do you happen to have any sex mods installed?
>>
Morrowind is archaic as hell and not for everyone. It's my personal favourite but it is definitely a firmly-planted "hardcore RPG". Obviously it hasn't aged well but mods can give it a graphical facelift and take out some of the old-fashioned annoyances in the gameplay.

Vanilla Oblivion is undoubtedly the worst modern TES. It has a host of stupid fucking design choices that ruin an otherwise enjoyable game. It does do a few things right: the quests are great and the combat is the best TES has offered (a low standard, but still). The saving grace for Oblivion is that its flaws can be fixed with mods. The game world can be overhauled to be more interesting, and the leveled list system can be completely removed.

Skyrim is the most fun TES game to play for the first ~3 hours. At that point, you have seen everything the game has to offer. The combat has no depth, the quests are almost universally copy-pasted, and the RPG mechanics are non-existent. While mods can improve the game graphically and gameplay-wise, the game is not interesting to play. Skyrim's flaws cannot be fixed with mods.

tl;dr Morrowind is objectively the best, but it's not for everyone. Vanilla Oblivion is a stone covered in shit, mods can wash the shit away and polish the stone. Skyrim is shit, mods can remove a little bit of shit and fit nuggets of substance in the shit, but there is no core to Skyrim and it is not worth playing.

Also Shivering Isles is the best TES expac.
>>
Does Oblivion have anything like OpenMW so it uses more than one core?
>>
>>341349764
wait was that really possible in oblivion? rain and seeing it through windows? i might have to play this again with mods
>>
>>341345490
>UI looked good and you could see your character on the menu
>thieves guild and DB quests
>vampirism actually meant something
>felt like you could play as an evil/good/neutral character instead of just "the dragonborn"
>the arena
>the soundtrack
>>
>>341345490
It had the comfiest music and had good quest, i really liked that vampire shit in bruma, i already remember knowin that the old man wasnt a vampire cause his eyes werent red and i thought i was the smartest cookie on the block. It was fun.
But i still prefer Skyrim doe.
>>
>>341350590
pretty sure its a mod
>>
File: Cp2.jpg (47 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Cp2.jpg
47 KB, 500x500
>>341348990
>get bored and never return
Did anyone say comfy houses?
http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/45358/?
>Add this
>Add interesting alchemy mod
>add interesting companion mod
>Be a husband/wife/father/mother/wizard with apprentice/woodsman/religious man who heals the sick/charming murderer
>>
>>341350590
It's a mod, but it made a sort of mockup of the what you would see outside and made the windows transparent. It looked really nice except when you used better cities you'd still see the vanilla city outside the window.
>>
File: 22330_20160612180246_1.png (1 MB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
22330_20160612180246_1.png
1 MB, 1360x768
>>341350473
No. Why do you ask?
>>
I can't think of one thing Oblivion does better than Morrowind or Skyrim.
>>
WHAT ARE MUST HAVE MODS FOR OBLIVION TO MAKE IT LESS SHIT AND LESS UGLY?

TESG IS SO FUCKING WORTHLESS.
>>
>>341345490
Seriously, you fucking autistic retard need to stop starting these threads every day.

Oblivion was shit and so is your taste.
>>
>>341351168
It has Athletics/Acrobatics over Skyrim.

Thats it.
>>
>>341350482
Morrowind > Oblivion > Skyrim
can be rewritten, based on who enjoys them, as:
Autistic > Average Person > Retard
>>
File: 1394901998312.jpg (6 KB, 160x176) Image search: [Google]
1394901998312.jpg
6 KB, 160x176
Is Vilja any less of a slut in Oblivion? I tried the mod for Skyrim and she kept wanting to drink, dance on tables on do other slut things.
>>
>>341351332
the "average person" likes skyrim more because of its sales figures
oblivion players are the retards
>>
>>341350506
Pretty sure there's an ini edit you have to make, like you need to do for Fallout 3.
>>
>>341345490
Holy shit you guys actually agree that oblivion is the best in the series, thought you were all morrowind fags so I never said anything
>>
>>341345490
It wasn't the world was the most generic medieval world ever. The dungeons are copy pasted to hell. It's the definition of being nostalgia blind. For as much as people cock suck the dark brotherhood nobody ever mentions the god awful main quest, fighters guild, and mages guild.
>>
>>341351743

This
>>
>>341351743
>dungeons are copy pasted to hell
Duuuudr what? The ayleid ruins for instance are all uniquely designed
>>
>>341345490
Genuinely yes. It had problems, it was worse than Morrowind in some ways, such as true sandbox freedom, but it was by far the most memorable game in the series.

Morrowind quests are a chore and its interactions are a big book that you have to read over and over again. Nobody would ever remember a friendly Morrowind NPC who isn't a main character or a meme.
>>
>>341351743
Exactly.
Older gamers whose first TES was Morrowind praise it blindly, now you see the same happening with Oblivion and I'm sure it'll happen with fresh crop who only played Skyrim as well.
>>
>>341345490
>Play Morrowind
This is awesome.
>Play Oblivion
Fuck this, Morrowind was better.
>Play Skyrim
Fuck this, Oblivion was better.
>Play Morrowind
Fuck this, Oblivion WAS better.
>>
>>341352136

Not nowhere near as many different dungeon types, however.

Morrowind had: Egg mines, dwemer ruins, daedric shrines, ancestral tombs, smuggler caves

Oblivion had: Ayleid ruins, caves, and forts.
>>
>>341351506
>t Skyrim player
>>
>>341352580
So Morrowind has mines, ruins, shrines, tombs, and caves. Oblivion has those two.
>>
>>341351168
Combat.
>>
>>341352580
Morrowind had: caves, dwemer ruins, daedric shrines, ancestral tombs.
Oblivion has: Ayleid ruins, caves, forts and Oblivion planes.
>>
>>341345490
I've had GOTY edition of this since like 2010 and install it early but can't play it more than maybe an hour or three without getting sick of how mind numbingly dull it is compared to both Morro and Skyrim.
>>
>>341352832

Kek, Oblivion had no Daedric shrines. The oblivion portals were shit and you know it. Nor did it have ancestral tombs, either. Oblivion had the worst world and the best quests, Morrowind has the best world and while the quests aren't as good, they're still good.

Also, as the other anon said, the main quest was shit
>>
Best game is not saying much when the entire franchise is a pretty big streaming pile of shit without mods.
>>
>>341353108
which main quest was shit? if you mean morrowind's, son you outta your mind. oblivion's? eh, it was mediocre.
>>
File: 0_original.jpg (565 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
0_original.jpg
565 KB, 1280x720
>>341345490
This game is comfy as fuck. I love to play it when I'm high.
>>
>>341345490
Oblivion gates were actually very fun and the enchanting orbs you get for completing them were rewarding.
>>
>>341353717
So comfy. Unique landscapes are fucking amazing while high.
I had open better cities and a huge UL compilation and I just wandered through the wilderness and cities doing nothing for hours.
Open up the save later on and I had bought like 600 bars of soap from the vendor added in the imperial city
>>
File: daedricshrines.png (330 KB, 757x601) Image search: [Google]
daedricshrines.png
330 KB, 757x601
>>341353108
>Oblivion had no Daedric shrines
It did you massive retard.
>Nor did it have ancestral tombs
Ancestral tombs are literally just tombs filled with the undead of that region. Guess what? Oblivion has those. In fact it has greater creature diversity for them.
>Morrowind has the best world
Oh wow, shitty ass textures and sparsely populated forests. So much better then actual forests and swamp land.
>>
File: file.png (2 MB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2 MB, 960x640
>all books from morrowind say that Cyrodiil was a river based society in a massive jungle
>New TES in cyrodiil
>NO FUCKING JUNGLE

Instead they went with Western European Medieval Land
>>
>>341351172
Maskars and one reloaded
>>
>>341356495
I love jungles and would like to explore in one, but then I remember all the parasites and animals that will literally try to eat you.
Also Oblivion modded back into a jungle is fun as heck.
>>
>>341351172
>preparing to shit all over you for not just pulling up the /tesg/ guide
>go to their site
>it's down
Alright anon.
>>
>tfw no mod for better animations/real time conversations

That's all it would need to completely eclipse Shitrim
>>
>>341345490
Because it was the first one you played.
>>
>>341357789
Namriel mod?
are you about to get raped?
>>
>>341359518
you know what anon you might be onto something
>>
>>341352471
That almost stopped me from replaying oblivion actually.

>Play Morrowind for 200 some-odd hours, hate it at first but get really into it after understanding how the mechanics work
>Got really fucking immersed in the lore, books, and all that shit to find
>Try to go back to Oblivion
>No longer have all my awesome equipment
>Have to find a bunch of shit to enchant items with
>Spend 10 hours stealing everything from the imperial city market district before doing anything
>Have to find a new place to store shit since apparently if you dump your shit in a npc's house that's scripted to not die, all your shit gets replaced
>Remember that you can get caught stealing shit even if you're in another fucking room with nobody around
>That comfy as fuck overworld and the side quests keep bringing me back
>Go back to Morrowind and realize how long it would take to make a new character and get anywhere
>>
>>341359814
The jungle is a very dangerous place for an innocent young woman.
The guy is from a mod I made, and the unwanted sexual advances is from Lovers Stalker.
>>
File: perfect.jpg (16 KB, 220x230) Image search: [Google]
perfect.jpg
16 KB, 220x230
It would be better if the level scaling weren't totally fucktarded
>Playing a thief
>Spend some time doing quests and dungeons
>Hit a brick wall of high level Daedra once I get around to Kvatch
>Finally make it through, lose the urge to play since all the gates are going to be similar
>>
>>341362601
Thanks, anon. Unfortunately, this mod is the closest we'll get in Oblivion to those skyrim mods where you get captured depending on what type of creatures defeat you
It's actually painful to think there's so much lewd shit but that simple stuff can't happen in Oblivion after so many years.
>>
>>341348231
Your little sister is a cunt.
>>
>>341351168
Quests.
>>
who jerked off for the first time to Oblivion?
>>
>>341362761
its complete shit in regards to that. level scaling doesn't fucking work. and if i raise the difficulty mudcrabs will just take exponentially longer to kill and its only worse for anything bigger.
>>
>>341362761
>all the gates are going to be similar
Why does it seem like all the people hating on Oblivion have never actually played it?
Terrain and architecture might be the same, but there's different levels of daedra for whatever level you're at. For example spider daedra only spawns at level 16.
>>
File: 1445649650576.jpg (141 KB, 543x405) Image search: [Google]
1445649650576.jpg
141 KB, 543x405
>>341345490
>generic medieval Europe setting
>copy pasted dungeons everywhere
>level scaling out of the ass with bandits wearing daedric and glass armor
>potato faces
>oblivion gates
>ass leveling system
>casualized the equipment system
>introduced markers and fast travel from the map
>whack-a-mole combat
>NPC conversations are pants on retarded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhqag9lFHF0
>turned Mannimarco into a fucking whiny High Elf faggot

>best TES
>>
File: 02.jpg (20 KB, 350x300) Image search: [Google]
02.jpg
20 KB, 350x300
>>341364212
>jerking off to Oblivion
>Not playing lewd mods as a hardcore realism mode
>>
File: morrowind.gif (219 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
morrowind.gif
219 KB, 640x480
>>341345490
I'm right. Everyone agrees.
>>
>>341364570
I mean similarly difficult, the game was throwing Daedroths at me that I could barely take down solo. Then big groups of guys when I made it inside Kvatch that I couldn't sneak past
>>
File: osnovnoi3_800.jpg (143 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
osnovnoi3_800.jpg
143 KB, 800x400
>>341364980
Different niggas, different flavas
>>
>>341364785
>that wonderful soundtrack
>those interesting side quests
>factions had interesting characters and endings
>wandering the country side looking for ingredients and taking down necromancer hideouts
>those unique weapons and all that crazy shit that goes down in shivering isles

There's plenty of reasons people liked the game.
Sure, it cut shit out from morrowind and streamlined some things, but if you're gonna complain about difficulty you can always change it yourself or mod it.

The only problems are the level scaling, some texture issues and models which can all be fixed with mods

>>341364570
They only say that because they probably only went through the handful of daedra portals for the main quest and didn't bother exploring the others. There's tons of shit hidden in them, even if they do look like they inspired Lost Izalith in Dark Souls 1 with all the orange and red.
>>
>>341366038
Only shit that can't be fixed is the godawful animation system.
Compared to skyrim it looks horrible and not fluid at all.
Still prefer Oblivion
>>
File: morrowindcombat.gif (2 MB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
morrowindcombat.gif
2 MB, 240x180
>>341364785
>>generic medieval Europe setting
>Implying Morrowind's generic swamp and forest were any better
>Implying you're a lazy ass faggot that never bothered getting jungle mods for Oblivion
>>copy pasted dungeons everywhere
Oh wow, caves that look like each other. It's almost as if they're like real caves that look exactly like each other.
>>level scaling out of the ass with bandits wearing daedric and glass armor
>Waaaa I want to be a god and one hit everything
>>potato faces
Blame FaceGen, they're the ones that made the software Beth used to make the faces with.
>>oblivion gates
No one forces you to go through them nitwit. For the one or two that are part of quests, there's nothing stopping you from jumping in, running towards the sigil, and getting back out before the Daedra are any the wiser.
>>ass leveling system
Astute observation you've got there anon.
>>casualized the equipment system
Despite the fact that it's still better then what Elder Scrolls was doing with armor before Morrowind? You might want to reword that to "casualised Morrowind's armor system."
>>introduced markers and fast travel from the map
>What is editing the INI file or removing those textures in a mod for 100 Alex
>>introduced markers and fast travel from the map
Are we forgetting that games like Daggerfall also had fast travel?
>>whack-a-mole combat
>Somehow better then pic related
>>turned Mannimarco into a fucking whiny High Elf faggot
>Waaaa they couldn't get the original voice actor so they had to find someone else but this triggers me somehow
Literally autism: the post.
>>
>>341364980
It has some of the best world building, weapons, armor types, and dungeons if you can get over the combat.

I almost dropped the game out of frustration until I realized I needed to either make a new character with the major skills I wanted or focus on the ones I already had. Also, the game is boring as fuck until you start preparing and exploring, which you just can't do until at least level 10.
>>
>>341366038
> The only problems are the level scaling, some texture issues and models which can all be fixed with mods
If you're delusional, sure.
>b-but mods
Everytime. Morrowind is better with mods anyway, and doesn't require mods to fix shit, only to improve what's already there.
>>
>>341366429
i needed to install a mod to take away the shit dnd combat system so it isn't like morrowind is perfect
>>
>>341366416
>took the time to write this shitty bait
Here's a pity (You), don't waste it.
>>
>>341366704
>its bait because i don't like it!
the fact he took the time to point out all of morrowinds many flaws makes it all the more likely hes actually serious and your game is shit
>>
>>341366673
There's literally nothing wrong with dice roll combat.
>>
>>341366418

You never put weapon skills in major
>>
>>341366952
>blatantly wrong facts
>shit opinions
>he
Fuck off faggot.
>>
>>341366983
Nothing wrong with it, but it looks terrible in Morrowind because it gives you the illusion that you can actually dodge and hit depending on how you move.
There are many games from that era with fucking amazing combat the likes of which rivals and surpasses most of today's games. Morrowind is not just one of them.

It still has an awesome world and story and the exploration and discovery makes everything worth it. Comfiest feel I ever got was collecting the story of the Dwemer.
>>
>>341366983
stay in /tg/ please and stop calling your virtual boardgame an actionrpg. morrowind and oblivion aren't even the same genre so just fuck right off your high horse and leave this oblivion thread
>>
>>341366983
>There's literally nothing wrong with RNG

Loving Every Laugh
>>
>>341367405
its a he, you cant just deflect reality like you can pretend your opinions are fact
>>
>Oblivion is good now
Is this the newest meme?
>>
>>341366429
>Morrowind is better
Yeah fucking right. Sure it does some things better than the other entries but it takes way too long to get invested in unlike the other games.

And don't even try to bait me by saying if you know where all the good shit is you can become overpowered as fuck at level 5. Bringing up the alchemy exploit won't work either.

>>341366983
But there's plenty of things wrong with it.
On the off chance I find a weapon I like and don't have the major skill for it, I either have to waste a fuckton of time or gold in order to even use the fucking weapon properly.
>>
Oblivion was clearly the worst of the series. Eat a dick OP.
>>
File: naga.jpg (804 KB, 1158x883) Image search: [Google]
naga.jpg
804 KB, 1158x883
>>341367742
>now
It has always beeen good, you just needed to mod it to Oblivion
>>341367810
Stop the bait. I like Oblivion more, but let's have a comfy thread instead of another muh game is better than yours.
Post mods.
>>
>>341367448
It gives no such illusion, it's a RPG to the core, and not an action game.

>>341367458
Fuck off underage.

>>341367628
>RNG
>you can control your hit chance to the point you never miss
Maybe you should play the game instead of spewing shit.

>>341367810
>On the off chance I find a weapon I like and don't have the major skill for it, I either have to waste a fuckton of time or gold in order to even use the fucking weapon properly.
Oh no you need to train skills in a RPG to be good at things? Call the fucking cops.
>>
It was fun, and was a bit before the LOL XD SO RANDUMM/SJW crowd came into gaming
also extensive sex mods
>>
>ctrl-F comf
>15 results

Comfy is a fucking euphemism for boring on this board.
>>
File: 1370923372527.png (365 KB, 523x535) Image search: [Google]
1370923372527.png
365 KB, 523x535
>>341368090
It won't happen.
Not until late night /v/.
The Morrowind defense force is in full fucking swing.

I like the game too, but come on, I'm willing to admit there's things wrong with it unlike these faggots
>>341368240
>>341366983
>>341366704
>>341366429
>>341364980
>>
>>341368240
>It gives no such illusion, it's a RPG to the core, and not an action game.
If you want to go full numbercrunch RPG, fine, throw in a Metroid Prime-esque lockon system and go nuts. But Morrowind tried to crowbar first person aiming mechanics into an RPG combat system and the result is a mess.

Not a gamebreaking mess, certainly. Morrowind is still my favourite TES, and the combat is perfectly palatable if you build your character right. But it's still not a good design choice, and on a base level Oblivion's combat is a step up from Morrowind's.
>>
>>341367653
None of my points were offered a good rebuttal.
>>
>>341347030
RPGs are fundamentally about progression and Oblivion has by far the worst in any game I've ever played, thanks to level scaling.
>>
File: QEJnGa8.jpg (262 KB, 900x1103) Image search: [Google]
QEJnGa8.jpg
262 KB, 900x1103
>>341369079
>level scaling.
Are people so lazy to not even try to fix the most basic flaws? Or are you a consolefag?
We get it. Morrowind was objectively better without mods. But mods happened and they come in multiple flavors.
>>
>>341368845
The Oblivion underage defense is always in full fucking swing, as evidenced by the very OP of this thread. All these retards whose first TES was Oblivion sicken me.
>>
File: 1464041892834.jpg (74 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1464041892834.jpg
74 KB, 800x600
>>
>>341369521
I started with Daggerfall back in the 90's but I'm pretty sure a lot of those fags are just young, man.
>>
>>341369521
>Oblivion defense force
>underage
Been 10 years m80.
>>
>>341368903
>mess
What's messy about it?
You hit things if you're in range and you don't hit things if you're not in range, and if you're in range it's controlled by a dice roll system. What's messy about that? Looks pretty straightforward to me.
>>
>>341345490
Oblivion is like a horribly filmed B-movie where the actors are all bums picked off the streets who constantly fudge the script and the director's too fucking lazy to demand a reshoot. The combat is like two fat nerds beating each other with plastic until one "dies".

It's terrible, objectively terrible, but you keep going because despite being so bad it's so endearing for some dumbass reason.
>>
>>341369737
So you were like 5 or 6?
>>
>>341369575
>Your PC face when
>>
>>341369521
I bet you haven't even beaten Arena and Daggerfall you filthy casual.
>>
>That combat
Oh my god. It's atrocious, how does anyone like it?
>Block
>Swipe
>Swipe
>Stagger
>Repeat
>>
File: 1377482872442.jpg (69 KB, 263x207) Image search: [Google]
1377482872442.jpg
69 KB, 263x207
>>341369521
I started with oblivion, got hyped for skyrim, and then went back to Morrowind and even a bit of Arena only to play Skyrim 3 or so years later.

I still like oblivion and morrowind both.
What does that make me?
>>
Post yfw you like Morrowind, Oblivion, AND Skyrim.
>>
>>341369781
FPS combat is about as basic as it gets. If you've played any sort of vidya, it is ingrained upon you. So when one lone game decides to change it up, it's a shock. Even if you're dead set on introducing dicerolls to standard freeaim FPS, there are several better alternatives than Morrowind's combat.
>>
>>341369869
Oblivion's combat can be awesome.
>Giants throw you away like a ragdoll and stomp you while on the floor,
>your roll back when you perfect parry a trong enemy, but endure when you're strong enough.
>You can deflect some spells with your shield, and bash your opponent
>You can set people wearing rags on fire, and they can too.
>Your armor breaks slow but steadily when its durability goes down.
>Weight depending on the armor, swing speed depending on the weapon.
>Momentum
>from the most basic dodge to amazing dodges that will save your ass most of the time.
>Only strong attacks that connect will stagger you. Same for enemies with low str.
>Fatigue is VERY important, same for footwork and block
>See that iron sword you started the game with? Well there's a weapon mastery level that increases the more you get used to a weapon. You greatly improve your weapon's stats by learning how to wield it properly, after learning to handle the weight, shape...
You can't honestly hate on the combat after adding all the shit it needs.
>>
File: 1390944495670.gif (2 MB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
1390944495670.gif
2 MB, 360x240
>>341370664
I like all 3 for different reasons.
>>
>>341347291
Quit fucking ignoring this post.
>>
>>341370836
Not to mention enemies that run, crouch in the grass waiting for you or call their friends.
>>
>>341370740
>this combat is bad because I'm not used to it
Ok.
>>
>>341351223
You're a retard.
>>
>>341345490
It wasn't,Skyrim is,
It's definitely better than Morrowind though
Morrowind was a shitstain and babby's first TES on /v/,every successful Elder Scrolls game has been better than the previous one except Morrowind.
>>
File: mal2069.jpg (54 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
mal2069.jpg
54 KB, 620x388
>>341371485
Is Skyrim a better vampire life/vampire hunter sim?
Oblivion was pretty much close to perfect in this aspect.
>>
>>341371717
With Dawnguard,yes,otherwise you can't be a vampire nor a vampire hunter
>>
>>341371485
>babby's first bait
>>
File: 1451725701304.png (365 KB, 960x800) Image search: [Google]
1451725701304.png
365 KB, 960x800
>>341351128
How can you get off with those fetal alcohol syndrome potato faces? Jesus
>>
>>341346446
Makes sense. Or would you train with sharp weapons instead of blunt ones?
>>
>>341371954
Looks like my bait
MISSED
MISSED
MISSED
>>
>tfw beat Shivering Isles for the first time ever just today
That was fun
>>
>>341371389
Morrowind's combat is bad because it's unintuitive and not enjoyable for the player.

Example: Instead of missing, introduce glancing blows that deal sharply reduced damage instead. Add a sound effect for a ting off armor, boom, a far more enjoyable combat. Have increased weapon skill raise the damage of glancing blows, and agility reduce the chance of glancing blows.

A very simple change that would remove the feeling of impotence and boredom from Morrowind's combat, while remaining true to the RPG genre and showing the player improvement with character advancement.

Morrowind does the key things well than any other TES game but it's not perfect and pretending it is makes you seem delusional.
>>
Which game has better missions, Morrowind or Oblivion?

Do mods make Oblivion competitive against Morrowind's advantages (ie. no level scaling)?

Never played it but I'm interested.
>>
>>341372947
I prefer Oblivion because if you have Morrowind you can play Morroblivion (oblivion PLUS Morrowind world with MW quests. Still not Morrowind, but close)
Also because mods make it really good if you know what you're doing.
>>
>>341372947
>missions
quests* fuck sorry
>>
>>341372553
I'm not saying the combat is perfect but it's certainly not completely terrible like some make it out to be, it's serviceable. The miss chance is not relevant at all if you have an adequate build and mind your stamina, so it's pratically a non issue people like to overblow.
>>
>best gameplay aside from the level up system
>funniest fucking design for wood elves
>pirate voice for most Argonians

Honestly the game was just plain fun.
>>
>>341372947
>Which game has better missions, Morrowind or Oblivion?
Morrowind's story is much better than Oblivion's, but Morrowind's quests themselves don't deviate much from the standard TES "go to the end of this dungeon and get this thing/kill this dude". Oblivion, particularly the side quests and some guilds, has more surprising quests that are much more involved and engaging.

>Do mods make Oblivion competitive against Morrowind's advantages (ie. no level scaling)?
Modding Oblivion turns it from a shit game into a great one, but at the end of the day it's a very different experience than Morrowind. If you want to immerse yourself in a unique and complex world, and have great freedom in the way you interact with it, play Morrowind. If you want to play a straightforward open world RPG with some great content (and some boring content too), play Oblivion. Both have merits. My personal opinion is that if you're willing to really sink yourself into a massive RPG, Morrowind will be the more rewarding experience.
>>
>>341367653
Save your energy, arguing with an autist is like yelling at a brick wall.
>>
>>341368845
MUH DICK
>>
>>341373756
I agree with you, and if someone won't play Morrowind because of the combat system then they're a filthy casual. The misses can be mitigated (though "minding stamina" means forcing yourself to walk through half the game, another annoyance), and it's nice that character attributes have a huge and obvious impact on the combat, but Oblivion's combat nonetheless is an improvement.
>>
>>341345490
It's not the best, skyrim is objectively better many times over.
>>
>>341372947
Oblivion's main quest is shit but its side quests are the best. Anything to do with Oblivion gates never caught my interest.

Morrowind has some good quests but most are fetch quests that get tedious after a while (thieves guild is actually all fetch quests).
>>
File: 35551-1-1296673686.jpg (121 KB, 800x512) Image search: [Google]
35551-1-1296673686.jpg
121 KB, 800x512
>Morrowind: miss miss miss miss miss miss you die
>called the best elder scrolls game because it's so "hardcore"

>Skyrim: Literally Oblivion with less features.

>Oblivion: Perfect (not counting the ugly potato girls)
>>
>>341374824
For Morrowfags it's all about "muh lore" but for the most part spot on
>>
File: laughing.jpg (18 KB, 520x390) Image search: [Google]
laughing.jpg
18 KB, 520x390
>>341368845
>Not until late night /v/.
>late night /v/ preferring games that are newer
okay, kid
>>
>>341374824
I can name you a few things that make modded Skyrim better. Starting with this one:

Alternatives to the standard death system. No more save and reloading or hurr durr becoming a ghost and returning.

Name a single Oblivion mod that does that? I dare you
>>
It's not morrowind is loads better.
>>
>>341374824
>Morrowind: miss miss miss miss miss miss you die
>called the best elder scrolls game because it's so "hardcore"
But Morrowind is easy as fuck you dumbass. I guarantee you never played it.
>>
You can easily hit in Morrowind but putting points into agility and set the hit option to "best only".

It's a shitty meme really.
>>
Morrowind is better Tes game basegame
Skyrim is best Tes game with mods
>>
Awesome mechanics
>>
Jeremy Soule soundtrack breathed life into the entire game.
>>
>>341376174
>start game
>"hmm, this guy on /v/ said that I should level up agility so that I can actually hit the enemy"
>see mudcrab
>miss 10 hits
>mudcrab kills me because I couldn't hit it while it hits me every time it strikes
>can't level up agility because I can't kill enemies

wow, what a shitty meme.
>>
>>341376237
Seasoned oblivionfag here. Tell me some mod in Skyrim that does something modded Oblivion doesn't. Not baiting. I want to give Skyrim another chance and I want to try stuff I can't do in Oblivion.
>>
File: 1429491329072s.jpg (3 KB, 125x96) Image search: [Google]
1429491329072s.jpg
3 KB, 125x96
>>341376605
I don't know what to say, Anon. You're just lazy.
>>
File: Oblivion Face Generation.jpg (53 KB, 500x577) Image search: [Google]
Oblivion Face Generation.jpg
53 KB, 500x577
>>341370056
>mfw
>>
>>341345490
I liked Morrowind more.
>>
>>341345490
>>>>Oblivionshits
>>>>>le best quests meme
>>>>>le comfy
No, Oblivion is not good because it has gimmick quests where you go into a painting and fight copypasted trolls. This is an open world game, and by far the most important part of any open world game is the OPEN WORLD, and its construction. Oblivion's world is fucking painfully boring and generic. Its level system is garbage. It has PLENTY of shitty quests, main quest chief among them. Don't forget the mages' guild being absolute garbage - I still remember the bitter disappointment I saw on /v/ when people discussed Mannimarco being a generic elf back in the day. There is not a single interesting thing to do or see in Oblivion. Were it not for Shivering Isles, it would be entirely worthless.
>>
>>341378363
Op is bait. Mods make it happen tho.
>>
>>341376654
Skyrim has almost double the mods Oblivion has on Nexus senpai.
>>
>>341376858
a game that makes you "grind" at the very beginning is a terrible design choice.

I'm not lazy, I'm just bored.
>>
>>341379515
Stop getting into fights with an empty fatigue bar faggot. You should have literally no trouble killing a fucking mudcrab.
>>
File: huehuehue.jpg (52 KB, 970x687) Image search: [Google]
huehuehue.jpg
52 KB, 970x687
>>341378363
>REEEEEEEEEEEE the post
Like how you mention how the game is supposed to be open world but then never explain why you think it's like that.
>>
File: 1384188346337.jpg (463 KB, 1200x865) Image search: [Google]
1384188346337.jpg
463 KB, 1200x865
>>341376605
It helps to start with decent agility, you silly person
You can choose which stats you want to favor right when you make your character
>>
File: x.jpg (96 KB, 800x437) Image search: [Google]
x.jpg
96 KB, 800x437
>>341379805
I did wait for my fatigue to come back.

>>341380532
because those few points actually help, I did do that. Still the same thing.

Look, I know agility and stamina helps with hit chance. but this game is so terrible that those things barely mattered, still missed too many hits.

awful game.
>>
>>341345490
It was certainly the best but it is also the one that killed the series.
>>
It wasn't, vanilla Oblivion was the worst of the 3 'modern' TES games.
>>
File: 1384188257794.jpg (296 KB, 1204x800) Image search: [Google]
1384188257794.jpg
296 KB, 1204x800
>>341380840
And did you use a weapon type you were speced towards, or did you just go out with the shitty iron dagger you get at the start and no Short Blade skill?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FtqBWHfUqI

>tfw walking across oblivion in rainy forests with the wind howling to this song

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucking nostalgia
>>
>>341381525
Why do moths look so FUCKING SOFT?
>>
>>341345490
Nah far from the best. Some of the quests though were fantastic. Outside the Dark Brotherhood/Thieves Guild/Shivering Isles quests that everyone already loves, I also love A Shadow Over Hackdirt it's probably my personal favorite quest in Elder Scrolls even though Morrowind is still my favorite game.
>>
>>341379271
>Quantity is better then quality
K
>>
>>341382080
Moths are fucking gross. They're fury and get dust everywhere if touched.
>>
File: Fabulous.jpg (87 KB, 800x567) Image search: [Google]
Fabulous.jpg
87 KB, 800x567
>>341382624
>Moths are gross
Say that to my face and not online, faggot
>>
>>341383023
>Calls others faggot
>Looks like a faggot
Haha see you at the gay bar chrysalis!
>>
>>341345490
Because you're a 360 baby.
>>
File: 1384197772286.jpg (4 KB, 241x209) Image search: [Google]
1384197772286.jpg
4 KB, 241x209
>>341383161
That's the joke, dummy
Thread replies: 188
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.