[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this cinematic bullshit ever going to end ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 191
Thread images: 23
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 720x405
How long do we have to suffer with this cinematic realistic art direction trend in video games ?

If I want to watch a movie, I'll watch a movie with actual writers, not film school drop outs.
>>
Nothing wrong with the art direction. Why wouldn't it end up this way?

The problem is the game design philosophy.
>>
File: David.jpg (114 KB, 640x340) Image search: [Google]
David.jpg
114 KB, 640x340
>>341219531
You're frustrated, OP. I understand. Clearly, you had some difficulties with Grounded+, it's ok, we all did.
>>
>>341219812
No idea what you're even talking about >>341219665
It's fine when 1 or two games do it but when we have a "cod" effect and everyone is trying to be the same game you can understand why is be upset.
>>
>>341219531
> cinematic realistic art direction trend
Trend? You're a fucking idiot. This is what devs have been trying to create for as long as there's been video games, we just have the technology to approximate it better now. Besides, if you honestly think we aren't well out of the drab military shooter era, you're definitely fucking retarded. Overwatch is the biggest thing on earth right now, and it's far from the only thing with a colorful, toonier style. If anything, the whole heros craze threatens to be the next big oversaturation.
>>
I'm not at all against cinematic games. If they told me an interesting story. Which they haven't, yet.

Also lower price.
>>
>>341219531
ur probably a troll but whats wrong with a good story in a game instead of just mindless japanese arcade garbage all the fucking time?
>>
Execute all weaboos
>>
>>341221831
>whats wrong with a good story in a game

That we don't have those, these days.
>>
>>341222393
If the quality of stories in games were really a problem, the complaint around here would be "We need better stories in games," not "We need less stories in games."
I will say, however, that ludonarrative dissonance is totally a problem right now, and devs need to try harder to make games better without resorting to gameplay that contradicts their themes. That's probably the big immaturity plaguing video game writing right now.
>>
>>341219531
I feel you. It feels so weird seeing everybody happy with Sony's E3 presentation. It was literally all cinematic bullshit with zero replay value or depth. I guess that's what people want nowadays.
>>
>>341219531
you could say thats a screenshot from god of war and no one could really say no. RIP golden age we wont get games like these anymore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzqJswRGc8o
>>
>>341219531
I'd say give it a few more years before the mainstream gets bored of games and fucks off to something else. then we'll go back to AA games. at least I hope so.I can't stand everything costing 50 billion dollars and taking 25 years in development, all so we can have some superfluous visual effect, or some shitty pop song shoved in for no good reason.
>>
>>341223432
>It was literally all cinematic bullshit
It's like they were trying to introduce people to the games/worlds and hype them up.

>zero replay value or depth
You got all this from just the trailers?
>>
>>341223845
>You got all this from just the trailers?
No I got that from the insanely shallow gameplay.
>>
>>341223710
>I can't stand everything costing 50 billion dollars and taking 25 years in development
I hope you dont like Star Citizen
Cuase I do :(
>>
>>341219531
TLoU was good though, very light on the QTE and cutscene bullshit, and the gameplay was good.

Hell the multiplayer is nothing but pure gameplay and it's an absolute blast.
>>
>>341219531
Fuck off anti-shill, there is literally nothing wrong with interactive entertainment. You probably only hate the genre because they don't cater to you 100% you fucking baby ass shitlord.
>>
>>341223460
I've always thought GoW was a shitty casualized DmC, but I really do feel sorry for the fans right now.

What Sony did to the IP is horrifying. This is what happens when you all circlejerk over Naughty Dogs SO DEEP AND MATURE generic movie plots, though.
>>
>>341219665
It's not actually an art direction it's a game design philosophy
>>
You know, I don't even mind cinematic trailers. What I mind is the fact that all of them were so boring and uninspired. Oh boy another zombie game and another game where some guy is in the wilderness. That's so boring.
>>
>>341223948
You got all that from the small amount of gameplay they showed?
>>
>>341219531
As long as sonyggers eat up movies disguised as games, Sony will continue to make them.

At least when Nintendo tried the same thing with Metroid Other M, it was rejected outright.
>>
>>341223961
>light on QTE
>light on cutscenes
>good gameplay
What. How can somebody be so objectively wrong.
>>
File: 1464299848424.gif (3 MB, 800x352) Image search: [Google]
1464299848424.gif
3 MB, 800x352
>>341219531
Just avoid them there will always be better games like M&B Bannerlord.
>>
>>341223961
Now this is shilling
>>
>>341224138
Yeah. That's the point of the demonstration, to show you how it plays. In this case you hold up on the control stick until an enemy appears and then you press square. Cutscenes happen every 2 seconds aprox.
>>
>>341219531
>How long do we have to suffer with this cinematic realistic art direction trend in video games ?

Forever, because the casual market is now a large portion of sales.

Casuals suck at video games, so "games" you don't have to actually play suit them. And Polygon degenerates too, of course.
>>
>>341219531
I'm actually really tired of it as well. Especially all the FPS games like it.

That's why I'm mostly a Nintendo and retro gamer.
>>
>>341223961
TLoU gameplay was passable

The rest was garbage

>walking and talking
>moving a ladder or dumpster to jump on other thing
>walk and talk some more
>eventually make your way to a place that's extremely obvious there will be a fight

Not to mention the story was hilariously bad. Playing through the first part of the game honestly made me wanna drop it entirely
>>
>>341224253
>trying to shill that game in other threads again
can you just stop already? you've been doing this all day despite the fact that there's a thread dedicated just to it.
>>
>>341224141
that was a shitty game though and a very shitty story that doesn't replresent the character well
>>
>>341224141
Don't forget when Microsoft does it, Xbox fans don't have that shit either.
>>
>>341223990
>He likes interactive movies.

Why have we fallen so low?
>>
File: ugh.png (131 KB, 311x319) Image search: [Google]
ugh.png
131 KB, 311x319
>>341224538
oh wow you're so unique and special
>>
>>341224681
What? I'm unique for stating my preferred video game tastes?
>>
File: finna.png (475 KB, 600x638) Image search: [Google]
finna.png
475 KB, 600x638
>/v/ suddenly hates the last of us

what happened?
>>
>>341224674
Um excuse me but these games are not "movies" okay? So, if you can keep your shitposting to a minimum I think we can all get along in the end, mmkay sweetie?
>>
>>341224643
>that was a shitty game though and a very shitty story that doesn't replresent the character well
AKA the new GoW.
>>
>>341224643
So are a lot of the games that Naughty Dog makes, but people eat those up.

How many people defended the fact that 2 grown men got beat up by a single black woman, you still get beat up if you do the QTEs right and you don't get an actual showdown to get revenge for your previous defeats in Uncharted 4?
>>
File: 1464633932949s.jpg (3 KB, 125x119) Image search: [Google]
1464633932949s.jpg
3 KB, 125x119
>>341224591
If I said Bloodborne would that make you feel better? It's just an example anon.
>>
>>341219531
How about you stop fucking whining and just play games you DO like and avoid the ones you don't?
>>
>>341219531
>IT'S NOT FUCKING FAIRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
>>
TLOU is one of the few cinematic games that balanced the walking and talking parts with good combat sections. No regenerating health, scarce ammo on higher difficulties, non-linear combat arenas that you could tackle in a variety of ways with explorable nooks and crannies. It had a couple of slip ups here and there, the part before you enter the school and all the zombies are magically alerted to your position even if you use perfect stealth being exemplary of them, but it was very good on the whole.
>>
>>341224819
/v/ always hated The Last of Us, the amount of shilling from Sonyggers and the lust for Ellen Page is the only reason it might have looked different.
>>
>>341223432
This place is basically neo gaf. If anything ms delivered as far As overall presentation went. But they aren't popular right now so nobody cares.
>>
>>341224825
They're not completely there, but they are close. It's weird, modern trend with casual games nowadays.
>>
>>341219531
It's the Western application of JRPG storytelling

You can blame your own weebshit fucking gaylord
>>
>>341224819
>liking babies first zombie game
>with a script written by a hollywood dropout

NOPE
>>
>>341224819
>/v/ suddenly hates the last of us
>what happened?
You realized that was just people ironic shitposting, people don't actually like the last of us.
>>
Game design and proper mechanics in video games are basically dead.
Nintendo is pretty much the only company that values it anymore and they're almost dead too.

Interactive videos has won out over games.
>>
File: 1411882111816.jpg (373 KB, 908x1900) Image search: [Google]
1411882111816.jpg
373 KB, 908x1900
Literally ITT
>>
>>341223068
>the complaint around here would be "We need better stories in games," not "We need less stories in games."

You obviously don't know yet how /v/ works. Lurk a little more.
>>
>>341224819
>Suddenly

Nobody likes movie shit from Naughty Dog especially after abandoning Jak and Crash Bandicoot for cinematic bullshit which is why there are never Uncharted 4 threads compared to BB and Overwatch.
>>
>>341224863
He could make the point that there's so many new games coming out like it. A lot less to look forward to. It's a trend afterall.
>>
>>341225063
>not the full version where the bald guy finds out the game is shit and he realizes he killed that guy for no reason
>>
>>341224550
>TLoU gameplay was passable
>The rest was garbage

That's why the multiplayer was surprisingly good, until they added in buy-to-win weapon DLC.
>>
>>341219531
yup but when sfv doesn't have a cinematic story, it's a shitty game
>>
>game is lauded as having an excellent story
>it's an uncharted reskin where you kill zombies
>>
File: file.png (189 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
file.png
189 KB, 480x360
>>341225010
It's kind of funny when you look at it this way. Japanese games were based heavily off western games, like Ultima and Wizardry. Modern western games are based heavily off Japanese games, most notably MGS. I dare say MGS is the father of the modern cinematic AAA shooter with an anti-war message, despite it not really being much of a shooter.
>>
>>341219531

>devs make hugely successful 'cinematic bullshit' games.
>'we must put an end to this madness, people are enjoying our games too much'!

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
>>
>>341224863
Because good games rarely get made anymore.
>>
>>341224949
>Few slip ups
>ladders
>Lots of glitches
>Retarded enemy AI that was greatly downgraded from the bullshot E3 demo.
>Immersion breaking partner can't alert guards even when they walk right in front of their face
>more ladders
>Combat areas usually only have 2 or 3 ways to tackle it as opposed to the countless ways advertised.

The shit with the AI alone should have caused outrage, but the Game Journalist community just ate it up and tried to present the game as the Citizen Kane of gaming, which proves they know nothing about film too.

Hopefully The Last of Us will win the award for most overrated game in the future.
>>
>>341225052
Did you not watch Microsoft conference? They have story in their games but at least they actually value gameplay unlike Sony.
>>
>>341225324
What game at the Microsoft conference didn't fall foul of what pretty much every modern game does?
>>
>>341225010
The funny thing is gameplay still takes the forefront in a lot of JRPGs outside of AAA shit. The opposite is true for Sony games where the story is made first and they try to build gameplay around it.
>>
File: 1370281614895_zpsc1e107e8.jpg (80 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
1370281614895_zpsc1e107e8.jpg
80 KB, 576x432
>>341224538
>That's why I'm mostly a Nintendo and retro gamer.
>>
It's basically driven by the "games are art" crowd who desperately and pathetically want games to be recognized as a "big boy medium" so they can tell their parents they aren't working on interactive toys but ART.

Of course because people with actual writing talent drift towards book writing, film scriptwriting, TV show scripwriting and playwriting, the game industry is left with nothing but the dropouts or the "GPA 2.0s" of the creative writing schools.

Gaming right now is literally like an inferior caricature of the Hollywood superhero movie flood. The quality of the CGI in gaming is much worse, and the story are even more awful.
>>
File: GiS.png (904 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
GiS.png
904 KB, 1366x768
real convenient how you faggots missed >>341220697's post so you can keep crying you're irrelevant tears.

Sony brought the house down btw

/v/ has no games
>>
>>341225220
I don't understand why people say TLoU had a good story

Anyone with a brain could figure out the entire story by just looking at the cover and seeing a trailer with Ellie in it
>>
>>341225396
Recore
Sea of Theves
Forza Horizon 3
Killer Instinct
>>
>>341219531
>hundreds of genres and styles of games
>choose to play games from the category you hate so you can cry about it on /v/

Loser.
>>
>>341225482
>Nintendo values gameplay
>8 and 16 bit games were vastly about gameplay
Is that a bad thing to you?
>>
>>341223961

Dude stop. I really liked TLoU but you're bullshitting yourself. It was a crate/ trashcan and ladder simulator with some stealth, and an decent story. Uncharted 4 was a climbing simulator with another decent story. I enjoy them, but it's hard to call them games.
>>
>>341225264
That's not true at all. you're probably just old and bitter now. you sound like parents that hear music from today's age and say it's all shit. I feel like this is the majority of this forum. You either adapt with the times or get left behind, grandpa.
>>
File: indie games.jpg (149 KB, 1690x938) Image search: [Google]
indie games.jpg
149 KB, 1690x938
>>341219531
>How long do we have to suffer with this cinematic realistic art direction trend in video games ?

What's worse is that now 90% of indies have those untextured flat shading (NOT cell-shaded) graphics. They're all based on being "unique", but they all look the fucking same!
>>
>>341224837
I cannot tell whether it is a shitty game yet, but I like god of war so I am pretty hype.

>>341224849
I didn't like the last of us' gameplay but I enjoy it's atmosphere. I only enjoyed it when I was pitted against other humans. I did like Uncharted 4 but don't I agree with the woman beating both drake and Sam.
>>
>>341225267
>Including ladders twice even though those are included in the walking-and-talking parts
>"lots of glitches" when I played through every single difficulty only encountering one that happened multiple times, where molotov impacts and fires were invisible and enemies would burn to death to nothing
>I WATCHED SOME DUNKEY VIDEOS THAT SHOWED THE AI HUNG UP ON SOMETHING!
>Giving a shit that they actually made the partner not completely ruin the game when complaining about GAMEPLAY
>Bullshit "2 or 3 ways" out your ass because you want to lump all "shoot" and "stealth" and "shoot and stealth" possibilities and scenarios with different weapons and approaches together

Go fuck yourself. It didn't work when the game was released with you retards spamming FORGOTTEN IN A WEEK, it's not going to work 2 years after the game's release.

"Ladders" is the most brain dead, fucking retarded sign that a person gets their opinion from a Youtube personality. You pick up maybe 5 ladders in the game. You probably do the stupid raft shit for Ellie more times than you get a ladder.
>>
>>341225716
You can talk down every fucking game ever created with this mindset.
>>
>>341222373
this. JRPGs are truly the cancer of society.
>>
>>341225716
>It's a cynic tries to sneak in idiotic criticisms of something by pretending he's actually a fan of it and has accepted it's "flaws" post

You can just say you don't like it if you want to take shots at it.
>>
>>341225648
I can guarantee Recore has pretty much the same TPS mechanics that practically every modern TPS has and can also guarantee that any of its movement is very much like most games on the market (ie shit.
The others no doubt do in their own ways anyway simply from being made in the modern industry, but they're at least very gameplay focused.
>>
>>341225648
Is this a troll post? All of those except maybe Recore (which looks bland as hell btw) are your average run of the mill genre games.

Horizon Zero Dawn has more interesting gameplay than all of those combined.
>>
>>341225779
>That's not true at all.
Did we see the same E3?
>>
>>341225820
>Only had to use ladders 5 times!
>Glitches were features! They'll get patched
>Damage control over the fact that the AI only has a few modes and don't take the environment and nearby weaponry into account like in the E3 demo.
>'We can't make a good AI buddy system, so let's just make her invisible to the enemy.'
>implying I'm wrong
So much damage control and shilling. It's Uncharted with a shitty crafting system and zombies. Ooo scary.
>>
>>341225779
It is true that games from a pure gameplay and game design stand point are worse though.
The sheer fact that the industry values those things less makes that clear.
>>
>>341226212
>Horizon Zero Dawn has more interesting gameplay than all of those combined.
I don't give a shit about the Xboner/Wangblows 10 games that guy mentioned but that game is literally just Far Cry Primal with robots.
>>
oh boo hoo games aren't just mindless action anymore.

nothing wrong with a good story or being cinematic. It's only if that's ALL a game has.

what needs to end is stupid asshurt fanboys who have never played the games and probably haven't actually watched more than 5 minutes of footage while trying to act as a source of authority of everything the game did or didn't do.
>>
File: stupidest nigga.jpg (101 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
stupidest nigga.jpg
101 KB, 600x600
>>341220697
>This is what devs have been trying to create for as long as there's been video games

>every dev in history wanted to make an open world TPS they just made a plethora of other inventive genres by mistake
>>
>>341226419
>nothing wrong with a good story or being cinematic. It's only if that's ALL a game has.
Name one cinematic game with good gameplay.
>>
>>341226419

But increased focus on story and being cinematic is making the action parts more and more mindless

can't make a good movie when the player is constantly at risk of dying
>>
>>341226372
The fact that it had RPG mechanics (even a dialogue wheel) and unique weapons with mechanical horseback riding n shit puts it leagues above anything else showed 2bh.
>>
>>341226419
>oh boo hoo games aren't just mindless action anymore.
They weren't just mindless action before though. You have a very narrow view of gameplay if you think it was just mindless action.
>>
>>341223710
FFVII says hi
>>
File: aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg (31 KB, 419x261) Image search: [Google]
aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg
31 KB, 419x261
>>341226010
No. They're just for people who like math/quantifying traits, actions, characteristics, chance. Neato as fuck. They have no bearing on the discussion in this thread even if some brain dead faggot cites them as an answer to (or better than) cinematic games -- you're no better then those guys btw, you're just doing your own version of the retard dance at the opposite end of the spectrum.
>>
File: mojay.jpg (309 KB, 960x580) Image search: [Google]
mojay.jpg
309 KB, 960x580
>>
>>341226612
>Ass effect stuff like a dialogue wheel makes it better
You can't be serious nigger.
>>
>>341226134
>>341226212
Man Nintendrones and Sonycucks. Compared to the mess you guys have, MS already killed your sorry asses. We have Sony giving us movies instead of games and we have Nintendo giving us Skyrim Zelda more, Pokemon shit, no Metroid 5, and forced shitty gimmicks down our throats. The only props I'll give Sony is at least it had hype going in unlike the irrelevant gimmick company that killed their hype three months before the fucking event.
>>
>>341226072

I like them. But they are they're own genre of games. Growing up playing DKC to this is a leap, but if I wanted to play games like DKC, I'd play DKC.

Thank fuck for Mario Maker. And you fuckers for creating good levels
>>
>>341221831
>but whats wrong with a good story in a game
They all suck, they're worse than the mostz mediocre movies and those are already worse than the most mediocre books
Instead of bothering me with a c-tier story, the games ought to focus more on the gameplay
>>
When Sony goes out of business. Give it a few years.
>>
>>341226276
>Doing something 5 times over the course of an 8 hour game is so tiresome!
>implying I excused the glitches I saw instead of just saying that I encountered only one over the course of 5 playthroughs
>Maybe if I shout DAMAGE CONTROL and SHILL enough, it'll actually turn into an argument!
>implying I give a shit about MUH IMMERSION in the 2% of the game's runtime that it's broken because the enemy doesn't notice Ellie slipping around that corner as fast as me

It doesn't really matter what your opinion is, even though it's just borrowed from Youtube personalities that speak in memes, because your opinion counts for nothing. Enjoy your small club of contrarian faggots who think their cynicism and resentment for critical and popular acclaim is emblematic of some kind of taste.
>>
>>341224216
>>341224265
>>341224550
>>341225716
Wow, so many sonyphobes, Sad!
>>
>>341226771
>more options are bad
>less options are bad
Make up your fucking minds.
>>
>>341219531
Get on with times, idiot. Story is what matters in games these days. If you want your precious "gameplay" fuck off back to playing your NES games.
>>
>>341226815
More should be with Pokemon.
>>
>>341225779
>You either learn to like eating shit or get left behind, grandpa.

fix'd
>>
>>341225874
Battletoads had more variety than Uncharted 4 and TLoU combined.
>>
>>341226963
>More bad options are bad
Who'd have thought?
>>
>>341219531
eh i have no problems with it. As long as theres fun gameplay behind it, I dont care how cinematic they want it to be.
>>
>>341220697
This desu
>>
To put it simply, a shoulder button or a trigger button on a controller is now one of the most common things in the world.
Despite this, how many games use those buttons/triggers to for example, grab onto something? The press of a shoulder button or a trigger are the best on a controller to resemble a grab and yet very few games actually utilize this and think about player and game connection like that.

Classic Tomb Raider and Shadow of the Colossus were some of the few notable games that lead the way with this and yet things have gone back from that, not forward.
>>
>>341226979

This. I didn't spend 400 dollars on a PS4 to play some kiddy games. I expect an emotional resonating experience that makes me swell to the point that it tickles the tip of my penis.
>>
>>341223460
T.C. Carson not voicing Kratos is fucking with me hardcore.
>>
>>341219531
Microsoft is trying to end it, none of their games were movieshit
>>
>>341227203
There's no reason you can't have that and gameplay that isn't shit...
Besides low standards and a cancerous industry.
>>
>>341226849
fuck off, you'e a minority, deal with it or find a new hobby
>>
>>341227260
Don't let the Nintedrones or Sonycucks hear you, they will argue with you for some gay ass reason.
>>
>>341227203
I don't even play games on my PS4. I just dry hump it and rub it all over my body every day when I come home from school. I mean work.

Sony <3
>>
>>341219531
>Cinematic
means fucking nothing to anyone in a game unless you are a bonafide manchild /v/ shitter
A game can be cinematic as fuck and that is good as long as it doesn't interfere with the gameplay and the gameplay is good for example Uncharted 2, God of War 3, Final Fantasy is fucking cinematic for fuck sakes. And before you into "QTE" fest mash BUTTON or whatever the fuck variant you have - even games with some of the best gameplay (Metal Gear Rising) are fucking RIFE with QTE's and COLOR TRIGGERS on enemy attacks, so QTE's don't mean shit either unless they are one hit kill upon miss QTEs like goodamn Bayonetta
Stop falling for fucking memes on /v/ and actually play some fucking games ,you are the definition of a cuck right now
>>
File: 1461298403259.png (62 KB, 689x448) Image search: [Google]
1461298403259.png
62 KB, 689x448
>>341220375
Retard, I bet you didn't even play the game and are just jumping on the bandwagon.

I've finished the game about 3 months ago, the game as a game was great. The gameplay was fun for a survival game, something not many people seem to mention. It having a good look & feel designed to it just improves the product as a whole.

TL;DR

The gameplay is good, it's a good game.
>>
If you want gameplay, buy a Wii U. And get laughed at by all the 14-year old cool kids like the uncool guy you are.
>>
I always wanted games to be realistic and "movie quality" since the SNES times. Now you "pure gameplay" whores want to take that away from me?. Fuck you.

If only devs could join realism with good and creative gameplay. That would be the best for everyone.
>>
File: doggos.jpg (30 KB, 480x490) Image search: [Google]
doggos.jpg
30 KB, 480x490
>>341227545
>Uncharted 2, God of War 3, Final Fantasy
>good gameplay
>>
How to write a super deep vidya story

> father son/daughter arc
> I guess we are ( game title )
> father or son/daughter/dog dies

10/10 IGN

Also, make the game super easy so the reviewer can finish it without any struggle or effort.
>>
>>341226556
Life is Strange
>>
>>341224650
Xbox fans rejected the shit out of quantum break.
>>
File: this guy.jpg (364 KB, 2122x1415) Image search: [Google]
this guy.jpg
364 KB, 2122x1415
>he wants to "play" video games

you are literally 12.
>>
>>341226446
He and OP were talking about art direction you retard. You're talking about gameplay.
>>
>>341225130
Truth be told, most threads about Overwatch are disappointment with how shitty it actually is.

40 bucks for 3 games modes and boring maps that all blend together.

Enjoying Overwatch is fine, but it does tell how low standards you have for multiplayer games.
>>
File: smug space nono.png (240 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
smug space nono.png
240 KB, 500x500
>>341227545
>and the gameplay is good for example Uncharted 2, God of War 3, Final Fantasy
>>
>>341227702
but wait, some magical fairy light out of nowhere revives the daughter! FUCK YOU WITCHER 3 DISNEY GARBAGE
>>
>dozens of pure gameplay indies shown at e3
>everyone buttblasted over cinematic games
It's almost like more expensive games get more exposure.
>>
>>341227636
The gameplay isn't realistic though, everything is pulled along on a string like a pantomime and there's barely any regard for whether an input actually makes sense or not. Just throw in a QTE or use X/A button and call it a day.
>>
It's 2016. Designing a large number of fun, playable stages that can be played with interesting, unique gameplay mechanics is very expensive, especially in HD. Adding in cutscenes and shallow cinematic bullshit may not be ideal, but it makes your "gameplay experience" feel longer, giving you more value for your dollar. Pubs figure if you don't get at least 15 hours out of your 60 dollar AAA title, people will complain. And they're right.
>>
>>341227702
Add a minority character and an implied/explicit gay/lesbian vibe between two of the characters and you have GOTY
>>
>>341219531
You are not excited for 10 minutes of walking trough the woods listening to small talk, interruped by a bit of hack and slay with QTE?

It's like you don't like video games, OP.
>>
>>341227830
Yeah I know that's what I was saying Xbox fans like Nintendo fans hate that cinematic shit.
>>
File: 1388836795962.jpg (24 KB, 383x459) Image search: [Google]
1388836795962.jpg
24 KB, 383x459
Stop playing AAA games you dumbasses.
>>
>>341228360

Let's be real. Sony fans don't actually like it either. They just lap it up because it has the Sony logo on it.
>>
>>341228443
A lot of problems are with modern games in general though, not just the AAA.
>>
>>341228570
True
>>
File: 2558028-zelda_002.jpg (65 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
2558028-zelda_002.jpg
65 KB, 1280x720
>>341219531
Even Nintendo has finally caught up with this. Truly videogames are over
>>
>>341228151

>Designing a large number of fun, playable stages that can be played with interesting, unique gameplay mechanics is very expensive, especially in HD.

That sounds more like a creativity issue than an economic one.
>>
>>341219531
Go play one of the million indie games with retarded cartoon graphics then faggot
>>
>>341228360
Well considering Xbox and Nintendo fans don't have any games, it's not too surprising.
>>
>>341228443
This. AAA games are for casuals who don't give a shit about video games. They're for people who want a quick, easy experience that doesn't require a large time investment or too much skill to play. Like it or not, your favorite hobby isn't just for geeks anymore. It hasn't been since the PS1.
>>
>>341228953
It's both. But it's definitely an issue of economics. Especially when you're dealing with western publishers who have very strict deadlines to meet.
>>
>>341229059

Agree. Well, sort of. I mean, they have games, but they are just Pokemon and plataformers, AKA outdated shit.
>>
>>341229059
There's actually more games on both Xbox One and Wii U than there is on PS4. Cutsceneshit =/= games.
>>
>>341228953
that anon only has it half right
it's not only that making lots of content is expensive, is that big projects are hard as fuck to manage. And nowadays you have to meet certain standards to be able to sell your game at full retail price, hence big studios keep hiring people with stupidly expensive degrees and the whole thing just snowballs. Said people with stupidly expensive degrees don't give a fuck about the game, they just want to get paid, including director's, artists, progremmers. As long as the thing looks AAA, sounds AAA, and has a big brand on it, the project will sell and the shareholders will be happy.

All you'll get is your ultra realistic weapons, realistic explosions, and realistic vehicles and some really pretty sunset, but everything is soul less, no one made a part of the game thinking "oh boy i sure wish there was a game like the one I'm making so I could play it", no one gives a fuck about the project, or it's longevity, they just care about having that job secured, getting paid, and securing their next job so they can keep getting paid $60 an hour for doing something a high school nerd could do with youtube tutorials.
>>
>>341229364
Great point. Must be why both those systems are doing so well.
>>
>>341229364
xbone has literally nothing, everything is on pc
>>
>>341229670
There are more people who eat at McDonalds than there are people who eat at decent restaurants.
>>
>>341228745
At first I thought you were a retard poster in this retard thread, but sarcasm gets pretty fucking difficult to detect on this site sometimes.
>>
>>341227364
>>341221831
What the fuck is wrong with these people.
>>
>>341229916
Such a decent restaurant that it's abandoned and you're expected to pay a premium to go to the new one.

NX is going to be great.
>>
>>341230071
Cinematic. Too bad Nintendo can't afford voice acting, else it'll be the complete movie experience already.
>>
>>341228745

Eh, Zelda's been that way for a while. It's nowhere near as bad as most of the shit on Sony systems, but you can't argue that Zelda hasn't been concentrating more and more on cinematic elements over time. And the games have become dirt easy as well. I'm sure this new Zelda will be the easiest, most "immersive" and cinematic Zelda yet.
>>
>>341229714
Xbox is a platform so those games are exclusive to Xbox not Xbone.
>>
>>341230113

I honestly can't tell if you're talking about the PS4. I mean, they do want you to buy a new expensive console soon. And it's barely an upgrade.
>>
>>341230328
Nigger, here's the entire list of Zelda games that were ever even remotely difficult:

>Zelda1
>Zelda2
>Link's Awakening

That's it. Period. The end. All the other twenty games have been piss easy.
>>
>>341230328
>And the games have become dirt easy as well.

All the recent games include stuff like Hero Mode or some equivalent now, for those who want a harder challenge.
>>
>>341230449
And Xbox and Nintendo don't?
>>
>>341230449
Why would you have bought any of the current consoles? Specifically though, Nintendo expecting people to shell out cash for the NX after the abortion that was Wii U is hilarious.

Xbone is just a fucking joke, too. All they had to do was not fuck up after doing so well with the 360, but they did.

Sony was the only one of the three that learned.
>>
>>341230535

That was my point.
>>
>>341230105
we have standards and we are not manchildren who play childish Nintendo shit because MUH GAMEPLAY
>>
>>341230656

You're the one who brought it up. Just letting you know, Sony is asking you to buy a new console, just like everyone else. Nintendo and Xbox aren't alone in this.
>>
File: viper.jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
viper.jpg
10 KB, 225x225
>>341230784
>wanting good gameplay in a game is childish
>>
>>341230784
>we have standards
Clearly not if you highly regard cinematic games over gameplay
>>
>>341230887
I wasn't even the anon you were talking with but I was pointing out your flawed logic.
>>
File: CjdyxXZWEAEFwQ8.jpg (61 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
CjdyxXZWEAEFwQ8.jpg
61 KB, 600x338
>>341220697

Some devs, not all. There are some that want to create something different than realism, and have stuck to that throughout history. Hell you even mentioned a game yourself, Overwatch. Just because we can doesn't mean we have to do realism all the time. There's room for more styles.
>>
I'm a film director and writer and I've been considering outright plagiarizing the storylines from a few indie games for my next movies. Thoughts?
>>
>>341230994
>he likes having fun like a child

Grow up, loser. Video games should be about being art or about pushing my pro-LGBT agendas. I bet you enjoy riding on roller coasters too. kek.
>>
>>341230784
But the last of us was boring. I could understand someone preferring story over gameplay but those kind of people usually play visual novels or walk simulators. What's the point of playing videogames if you don't want to play them at all?

Shit, when the Fine Bros showed TLoU to the elders and the teens, literally everyone said it was like a movie.
>>
>>341231115

Then clearly you didn't read. Maybe you should do that before replying next time.
>>
>>341219531
No.

You can thank MGS and Ico/SotC for this shit.
>>
I don't mind as long as it's semi-interactive and the cutscenes are under 5 minutes.
>>
>>341231586
Do you mind going through 20 minutes of pressing A to skip text boxes that annoyingly has this 8-bit sound as they appear and the characters nodding their heads and miming some inaudible shit with their mouths as if they're talking?
>>
>>341231763
>that annoyingly has this 8-bit sound

Hey, at least there's still something in those games that feels like you're still playing an actual video game.
>>
>>341231242
Not him but games have been about fun. Doesn't matter what they are board games, games that require movement, card games, or video games they were all made to have fun. So in other words if I'm not playing the game then I'm not having fun.
>>
>>341230694

We don't even know if Nintendo hasn't learned, the NX hasn't been revealed. Sony proved it can learn, maybe Nintendo can too. We gave them one more chance so I'm willing to give Nintendo one too.
>>
>>341231891
Or they can have voice acting in this year 2016.
>>
>>341219531
the way i indirectly knew that the industry is going to shit is from how the nioh alpha demo was more fun to me than full games in years
>>
>>341232135
They could, but then that would suck.
>>
>>341219531
>how long must I suffer this thing that I'm not forced to play

It's like asking how long am I going to have to suffer pop country music. . . oh wait I don't if I don't want to. Pretty simple, don't see what the issue even is.

Unless you're actually suggesting that everything should be made to cater to your preferences and stuff that other people enjoy shouldn't be allowed. And if that's the case then you should think about yourself.
>>
>>341219531
The problem right now is that there's less cinematic realistic art direction in games and I welcome more of them.

Japan has already been pumping out a huge list of amazing games with more going to be announced at TGS. Where else am I going to get my realistic art direction games?

I enjoy all types of games and there's no better time to play games since everything is getting localized in japan and japan is actually bringing better games while the west has been improving in gameplay while going with their usual western style. I don't see any reason to complain why one type of games should exist less than the other.
>>
>>341220697
This
>>
>>341219531
Vidya industry is jewish now. That's why you only see American games on E3.
>>
What's the point in owning a ps4 if you already have a netflix account ?
>>
>>341225648
I'm legitimately looking forward to recore. Reminds me of the old jap games from the xbox huge . When games were games and not pretentious movies
Thread replies: 191
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.