[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
VR
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (132 KB, 760x380) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
132 KB, 760x380
Ok, we need to have a serious discussion about this shit. Every other game coming out has some VR gimmick. Its waggling 2.0.
>>
t. Never tried VR
>>
>>341205518
Except waggling was actually popular
>>
>>341205518
It's not $400.
It's $450 because you must have the camera.
It's $500 if you have to get the move controllers.
>>
>>341205518
I think sony is handling vr the best game-wise while the vive has the upper-hand control-wise. Most of the games that use it from what they showed were just optional.
>>
>not learning how to program and model and making your own waifu
>>
vr could be cool you fucking cynic

fo4 is a step in the right direction
rpg's in vr sounds incredible fuck you anon
>>
>>341205664
This
>>
>>341205951
Found the redditor. It's a shit gimmick for absolute mongs
>>
>>341205951
Thats what they said in the 80s.
>>
>>341206135
Found the average /v/ poster. Talking out the ass about something he never tried.
>>
>>341206201
I'm pretty sure fo4 didn't exist in the 80's.
>>
>>341206201
>vr could be cool you fucking cynic
>rpg's in vr sounds incredible fuck you anon
Yes they did say this in the 80's. Still applies now. Even more so considering we have the tech.
>>
>>341206201
we didnt have 6 teraflops in the 80s
>>
>>341206201
When we didn't have the fucking technology. We didn't stop pursuing 3d graphics because it looked like fucking garbage at first.
>>
>>341205518
honestly, my serious concern was that, watching (maybe it'll be different if I actually try it) a clip of a VR run, the camera is so jittery from the subtle movements a head makes, I actually experienced motion sickness.

I have never felt motion sickness from playing a game before, but watching it was like 'holy crap, I feel queasy!'
>>
>>341205518

I love VR and hope every first person game incorporates it.

This is coming from a person that hated wagglin and thought 3D was a neat feature, but not a revolutionary one.
>>
>>341206520
carmack said anything over or under 110 fps causes nausea in vr
>>
>>341206461
>When we didn't have the fucking technology
You can't save a bad concept with better technology. Early arcade games were a hit despite being only a few KBs on 480i screens, less if we're talking about the Gameboy.
>>
>>341206867
How is it a bad concept
>>
>>341205756
its 1000+$ since you got to buy the PS4 Neo and don't say you don't because you want those high resolution graphics or else its uncanny valley for you.
>>
>>341206857
It can. Personally I've never experience VR sickness. I played Quake on my phone using GEARVR and it was pretty good time. Even when the game is between 40-50 FPS. I have a friend though who got rid of his rift because he threw up.
>>
>>341206520
That's because it's not your own head movement you silly dum-dum. When it's yourself moving it feels perfectly natural.
>>
VR has some of the most vehement apologists I've ever seen post.
>>
does this technology have mods for obese neckbeards?
>>
VR has some of the most vehement detractors I've ever seen post.
>>
File: Kirl me.png (113 KB, 283x253) Image search: [Google]
Kirl me.png
113 KB, 283x253
>>341205518
I remember about 5 years ago NIVIDIA put out all this 3D software able crap, a bunch of games came out where you could wear your 3D glasses and so on. Never caught on, VR will be interesting. I personally think the products are to expensive, bulky and in their infancy to become a gaming staple right now.
>>
>>341209165
>I personally think the products are to expensive, bulky and in their infancy to become a gaming staple right now.

Absolutely. In a few years though....
>>
>>341209165
pricing aside, shutter glasses were awful to watch content with. VR is the first time it's actually comfy to see in 3d, and with a lot more immersion for games
>>
>>341209345
ehhhh, so many attempts at introducing more peripherals into gaming have failed. I'm gonna stay keenly pessimistic, it's just another thing to pay for in my mind. It detracts from the substance of games, the day VR becomes a selling point is going to be a sad day
>>
>>341206857
good thing I'm perfectly fine with 40fps

>>341207993
I figure it might be that. something I do wonder is if my much more motion sickness prone friend (they can't even play any FPSes because of this) might actually be able to enjoy VR since, as you pointed out, it's their head moving.

Would be cool to play TF2 with them. Or Guns of Icarus, though I don't think the latter will have VR support.
>>
>>341205518
I'm glad to see most of it is totally optional.

Forcing it onto people will make people despise it in a real fucking hurry.
>>
>>341210098
might be less optional at first since they want to push headsets
>>
>>341205518
I played a VR demo at a Microsoft Booth some shitty graphics Golf Thing but i understood how it works. A few days ago

Its supposed to put you in that world and give you visual depth that resembles the real world. I guess the best way to desrcibe it is that your are that first person player character in that world.

In my honest opinion VR can only be used for this following types of games.

First Person Shooters.
Car Based Games Racing
Flight Games and Mecha Games.

Ideally a game like DriveClub with a racing seat with a good wheel and shiftters would be the greatest experince one can get gaming wise. Or a battlefield game where the field is destoryed in fron of your real eyes.

But third person action games or any other type of games would be retarded as fuck.
>>
>>341205518
Let me know when i can go in the world SAO style.
>>
>>341211118
>But third person action games or any other type of games would be retarded as fuck.

What about swordplay games? I honestly feel a game like Skyrim would be a blast in VR, the only issue is movement.
>>
>>341211343
Only issue? It's the biggest issue. That's why so many games have that retarded "teleporting" mechanic.
>>
VR RTS has the potential to be amazing
>>
>>341205518
Serious? Ok. No one is going to put real effort into a VR game until: 1. There are enough VR headsets around to make a meaningful profit off a AAA or even AA game and 2. Devs figure out what works and what doesn't work in VR (this is where making a bunch of gimmicky shit is useful.) Until these two things happen, VR will suck.
>>
It's going to be huge. Many of you don't realize how much the technology is going to rapidly get better in the next 5 years. It's the internet all over again.

Regardless all I care about are waifu simulators.
>>
>>341213756
you contradict yourself by mentioning both sides of the same coin
>>
>>341215098
>VR as big as the internet
No. AR will be but VR isn't going to be that significant for a long time, if ever.
>>
>>341211118
You forgot horror games so people can shit their pants, aka the first generation of VR games.

You also forgot the power of the benis, Summer Lessons and DOAX Paradise. huehuehue
>>
>>341207321
>Neo
It's not mandatory.
>>
>>341215098
My brother, let's not be fooled as well. The fellow degenerates lurking in every board can't wait for the chance to be an annonymous shadow surrounding a cute anon trap for bukkake parties.

Might not be Playstation Experience..
>>
Why are the Oculus and Vive even trying?

Playstation VR has the best screen, highest refresh rate and will be PC compatible. There's no contest.
>>
>>341205518
OP, I was exactly where you were and then I finally got to try it. I'm glad I got to try it before E3 because I'm hyped as fuck for more VR stuff.

But don't take my word for it. Really. People can talk about it all they want but you have to experience it to understand it. Several US cities have Vive units on demo, and it is usually worth the drive to try it out unless you live in the middle of nowhere. It's free and definitely worth a shot, even if to say you tried it and it sucks.
>>
>>341216132
Im joking you know it's Sonyfags surrounding a lone nintendo boy in a secret VR room.
>>
>>341215887
technically AR will eventually just merge with VR
>>
File: bay.jpg (306 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
bay.jpg
306 KB, 1920x1080
>>341205518
>>
Both Sony and Oculus are killing VR right now, which is kind of funny.

I guess Valve is also partly to blame for not developing at least one actual VR game, but at least they aren't actively harming the entire market
>>
Just don't be an early adopter into VR. Wait for bugs to get worked out, good games to come out for it, and the price to drop.

There, solved your problem OP.
>>
>>341211118
>But third person action games or any other type of games would be retarded as fuck.
But you didn't actually try any anon?
I thought this way too, then I tried Windwaker on my DK2, and enjoyed it greatly, even if it was buggy and had a bad resolution.
I do believe that 3rd person WILL be a huge thing in VR. It will just depends on the type of game, the level design, etc.
So I do have some VR experience, and I DO believe it's the future. I really don't see how anyone couldn't see that.
Will it remplace a monitor? No, I'll still play many games on it.
Will I use it more than my monitor, when the right games comes on it? Yes.
Dunno why people keep comparing it to 3d and gimmick controllers like kinect.
That's really silly, that's like saying that color TV and flat screens were gimmicks too.
But I'm not buying this gen, don't want to pay this premium price, and the REAL good games won't be out before a few years anyway.
>>
VR will never take off. They've tried so many times now but long enough for people to forget or people too young to know.

It's the 3D glasses of gaming. Novelty all the way.
>>
>>341216237
Was it just me or was the only real seller for the demo the space pirate trainer? the whale demo was cool, but I wasn't that immersed for some reason? I'm not sure why. Tiltbrush was fucking cool, but as a nonartist I can only find limited enjoyment out of it.
>>
>>341218665
>Another "I didn't try it but it won't work"
>>
>>341205518
Seriously it's really really good fun. VR is great
>>
>>341217904
How the fuck do you VR third person games?
that makes no sense much less immersive?
>>
>slow and floaty casual game

>BUT IT'S THREE DEEEEEEE

>SONYWONSONYWONSONYWON
>>
The problem with VR is that they should be spending their resources on porting old games to VR systems. Nobody wants to risk money on new experiences that aren't really that great either way.

Porting old games to VR gives the user a point of reference as to what VR can do for video games.
>>
VR's main gimmick is eye cancer.
>>
>>341219732
Yeah, visible light is so harmful.
>>
3D didn't catch on with small unobtrusive eyeglasses.

How the fuck is a brick strapped to your face gonna catch on?!
>>
>>341219518
>How the fuck do you VR third person games?
>that makes no sense much less immersive?
What's wrong with it? It just means you are a ghost/god, controlling the world. It isn't even that unusual a concept. The world is just as real as third person, it is still a virtual world just as with first person.
>>
>>341219518
Kinda hard to explain.
A game isn't 'immersive' because you're in the place of the hero.
It's immersive because you're there, in this world, even if you're controlling a guy 3 meters away from you.
I really dunno how to put it.
Only way is to try it out.
"immersive" is such a buzzword too, kinda hard to describe that. How many times did you ever felt a game was 'immersive'?
I could count them on my right hand. (only one coming to mind would be mirror's edge 1, and that's simply because of the godlike sound design and my fear of falling)
>>
>>341219820
You're pressing a radiation-emitting screen right up against your eyes. Do the math, tard.
>>
Personally I feel like VR is going too far down the rabbit hole. I don't want it to exist
>>
>>341219836
This right here. The tech or visual fidelity or whatever crap you want to point at doesn't mean shit. The big wall that's going to hold back VR is that no one wants to wear a big ass visor on their heads, no matter how "comfortable" it is.

I mean there's still a stigma against wearing glasses and many people actually NEED those.
>>
>>341220198
>I mean there's still a stigma against wearing glasses and many people actually NEED those.

What shithole do you live in, seriously
>>
>>341220096
Immersive to me means like I legit feel like I'm IN the world.

If I go to a disney park and go through a theme'd section, I feel like I'm IN lilo and stitch world, or magic world, or whatever the fuck, because it's all around me and it looks real, I can walk up and touch it. It's immersive and such.
>>
>>341220128
>radiation-emitting screen
>Everything isn't already radioactive
>I'm not using a radiation-emitting screen right now
>do the maths
>Gives no numbers
Good try. Now go back to school.
>>
>>341220128
> radiation-emitting screen

And what part of the electromagnetic spectrum does that radiation belong to?
>>
>>341220198
>many people actually NEED those.
Yeah nerds do
>>
>>341220128
The amount of light hitting your eyes is still the same as a typical monitor in a lit room and far less than sunlight which also includes far more harmful kinds of radiation.

Calling light "radiation" doesn't magically make it more dangerous.
>>
>>341220410
Yeah, but you could be in the world and still not be the guy moving. Doesn't change much really.
>>
>>341220410
>Immersive to me means like I legit feel like I'm IN the world.
You would get that in third person. Because what makes it real is the world being actually immerse, it doesn't matter it isn't first person as a game. You are thinking in 2D, not VR.
>>
>>341205518
>Ok, we need to have a serious discussion about this shit.
Let me tell you something:
We can't.

Since people can't play it, people shit on it.
Literally every thread about VR now is about how "gimmicky" it is, instead about great it is.

This happens with literally every product people can't try before they buy.
/v/ shits on most console games because /v/ is mostly PC players

Don't expect proper discussion about VR on /v/, reddit is the only place you can talk about it without shitposters.
>>
>>341220716
/thread/
>>
File: 1440288920329.gif (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1440288920329.gif
3 MB, 640x360
>>341220716
>reddit is the only place you can talk about it without shitposters.
>>
>>341220716
>Since people can't play it

Okay. Who here lives in some backwater swamp village where a Microshit store or Gamestop isn't at least a 20-30 minute drive away?

EVERYONE here has a vive demo setup nearby to try, no? or are these demo stations that exclusive? I thought they were all over the place by now
>>
>>341211118
>VR can only be used for this following types of games.
You are closed-minded as fuck, senpai

You could play literally any 3D game in VR.
Lucky's Tale does it and I mean hell, there's not much else types of 3d games besides first and third person

You also forgot to mention tabletops.
>>
File: 1434967887722.jpg (15 KB, 180x239) Image search: [Google]
1434967887722.jpg
15 KB, 180x239
>>341220716
>reddit is the only place you can talk about it without shitposters.
>>
>>341221193
not everyone is an amerilard m8
>>
>>341205518
"Waggling" was great you retarded Monroe.
>>
>>341221274
>>341220861
Great arguments.
>>
>>341221550
I'm ( >>341220716 )
not this faggot, and I don't give a shit about
>>341220861
>>341221274
>>
>>341221532
Vive is USA only? There are stations all over the world I thought?
>>
>>341221532
That's no excuse, I've met a turk, an italian, and a german in altspace VR.

All who had vives.
>>
So for all 2 of you (or 1 of you) that actually own a fucking vive, what are your favorite games for it? what feels really immersive and fun? I keep hearing good things about hover junkers and elite dangerous, but apparently E:D isn't even a vive game?
>>
I have a Gear VR and it's cool to just look around and see a virtual environment around you. Even in that little shitbox the sensors are pretty good, it picks up all the fine little movements of your head so it feels pretty natural. I imagine the more expensive headsets are at least as good.

I'm interested in getting one of them but I probably won't purchase any of the first generation displays. The PSVR -might- sway me to buy if there's official PC support for it (which normally would be a ridiculous thing to expect, but they did make an official remote play app for Windows so they're not against the idea of their shit being used with a PC)

Otherwise I probably won't dive into expensive VR until eye tracking & foveated rendering is standard on them.
>>
>>341221904
Xortex, Holopoint, Audioshield, and SPT are my favs. I just got Hover Junkers recently and it seems alright but I suck at it.

Haven't tried E:D since I'm not sure if I want to invest in a HOTAS. Apparently it's bugged for the Vive so it's really blurry. Not sure if they fixed it yet.
>>
>>341222706
>The PSVR -might- sway me to buy if there's official PC support for it (which normally would be a ridiculous thing to expect, but they did make an official remote play app for Windows so they're not against the idea of their shit being used with a PC)

They also said this

>In an interview with Nikkei (as translated by Gamesindustry.biz), Sony Computer Entertainment executive vice president Masayasu Ito suggested that PC compatibility could be added at a later date, even if it wasn’t present on launch day. “Since the PS4’s internal parts are similar to those of a PC, this is a possibility,” Ito said. “Right now we’re focused on games, so we’re not at the point of announcing anything, but there’s a possibility to expand into various field.”
>>
File: 1447685270575.jpg (191 KB, 970x617) Image search: [Google]
1447685270575.jpg
191 KB, 970x617
>>341221904
I bought a Vive thinking there would be games I would want to play AND afford. Of course I got the package of Tiltbrush, Job Simulator, and Fantastic Contraption.

>Here are the games I bought/received in bundles.
Tiltbrush is cool
Fantastic Contraption is ok
Job Simulator is fun
Audioshield is fun
SPC is boring, not sure if I'm missing something or why people like it
Giant Cop (early build) is like a more objective-based Job Simulator.
Modbox is good, needs better workshop integration and more features though
Nighttime Terror: Dessert Defender is meh
Spells n' stuff has nobody playing it, so I don't know if it's fun

>Cool free mini-games/demos:
Altspace VR has some fun minigames and people are always online, I'm on there frequently to meet other people with VR
Portal Stories: VR is great
Surgeon Simulator is ok

>Best experiences have been for demos for games not out yet:
Budget Cuts is fun and has big potential
Brookhaven experiment is real and has big potential
Vertigo Demo is cool and looks promising
Spell Fighter VR is good, though I spent an hour just trying to enable voice commands to find out they aren't implemented properly yet, so I haven't really spent enough time playing it

There's actually a lot of things I've been meaning to try out, there's quite a few games I want to purchase but I'm making sure I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on early access games that don't get finished and are good enough as-is. also mostly horror games because HOLY FUCK HORROR IN VR IS REAL, I HAD TO FORCE MYSELF TO PLAY BROOKHAVEN. SHIT'S TOO REAL I CLOSE MY EYES WHEN THE SPOOKS GET CLOSE. And I'm one who was fine playing Alien Isolation and other indie jumpscares.
>>
>>341205518
I don't see it replacing traditional gaming any time soon and this is coming from a person with a Vive.

That said, I think it is a cool tech suited for a different purpose.
I really enjoyed simulating an indoor shooting range, or playing billiards on it for instance.

I still play games traditionally on my PC, M+KB is faster and more efficient input method for traditional gaming. I consider VR as a separate medium altogether.

Manipulating objects in 3D space in 6DoF with high dexterity and efficiency is better suited for VR than using a gamepad or M+KB. Having decoupled head and hand movement can be a boon there as well.

The tech has many limitations currently
>Locomotion is a massive problem, moving mapped to buttons feels unnatural and weird.
>The cable is a nuisance, solution must become cordless by either integrating the PC to the HMD or wireless transition of video to display.
>DPI is low but tolerable, display needs more resolution and better optics.
>HMD needs to become lighter and smaller

>Controllers would benefit from a better 3D haptic system for the hands
>The product would benefit from NLOS tracking system that cannot be occluded
>HMD would benefit from eye tracking

It's anyone's guess how long it would take for the technology to mature, right now it is a solid proof of concept and luxury item.
>>
I have no doubt in my mind that someone will mod in OpenVR support for PSVR. People already have PS Move working on PC.
>>
>>341223954
>I don't see it replacing traditional gaming any time soon
Faggot, I'm >>341223827 and I hope it DOESN'T replace traditional gaming.

VR is supposed to be an alternative way to play games, not replace them entirely.

Some game genres should come about that will only be practical in VR though, mainly dexterity-based games like Job Simulator.
>>
Do we have a "VR apologist" bingo?
Here's some ideas for squares
>you just haven't tried it
>you're just mad you can't afford it
>you should support it even if it's shit so that it might be better in the future
>muh immersion
>it's a revolution

Anything else?
>>
>>341223827
>SPC
SPT, my bad, Space Pirate Trainer
>>
>>341224460
>you just haven't tried it
refute this
>you're just mad you can't afford it
refute this
>you should support it even if it's shit so that it might be better in the future
>even if it's shit
no one has said this
>muh immersion
refute this
>it's a revolution
in terms of experiencing games?
refute this
>>
>>341224460
>who cares about videogames? VR has a lot of other uses so you should support it anyway!!
>>
File: tracer_videothumb.jpg (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
tracer_videothumb.jpg
1 B, 486x500
>>341223827
>>341224474
>SPT boring

Well, shit. That's the main thing I loved about the demo unit. Is it just too easy when you get used to it? I felt like a fucking (nerd) badass using the shield to block behind me while i took out the bots to my other side, and going full tracer mode with dual burst pistols was fun as shit.

I only got up to wave 6 before the demo time ran out
>>
>>341224460
>past implementations don't count
>>
>>341206445
We have the tech, yes, but the problem is now that it's too fucking expensive for the average consumer. Being on /v/ might obfuscate this fact a little, but people who build their own top end PC with even a $200+ graphics card are still vastly in the minority.
They won't or outright can't just sink over a grand into an untested luxury. The tech needs to get a LOT cheaper before its viable.
tl;dr, the poorfags that VR needs to impress to make it a staple still can't afford it.
>>
>>341224893
>Is it just too easy when you get used to it?
It gets more difficult as you progress, so it's definitely not easier.

I get to about level 6 before I'm overwhelmed, so maybe I'm just bad and can't handle the difficulty.
>>
>>341223827
Based on my experience, a few nice titles out there but they are rather short.

Fun:
>Hotdogs Horseshoes and Handgrenades
>Budget cuts demo
>TiltBrush
>Space Pirate Trainer (good for a quickie)
>Waltz of the motherfucking Wizard ()
>The Lab
>Holopoint, aka. fuck my shit up
>Pool Nation VR
>Vanishing Realms
>Job Simulator

Okay:
>Out of Ammo (needs more polish)
>Quar battle for Gate 18 (lacks depth)
>ModBox
>Not so Fantastic contraception
>AltspaceVR
>Surgeon Simulator
>5089
>SpellFighther VR
>Brookhaven Experiment demo
>Skeet VR

Promising:
>Cosmic Trip
>Sisters
>JanusVR
>Unturned

Boring shit:
>Audioshield

Waiting for:
>Retro arcade
>Skyworld
>>
>>341225359
forgot to add, I found legend of luca boring as well
>>
>>341224743
i'll bite
>tried it
had devkit 2 for several weeks + went to multiple VR dev meetups
>can't afford it
i literally can so
>immersion
"motion sickness" is still a real problem for at least half my friends, but the more important issue is that the unfinished gimmicks tacked on to the VR clown car (e.g. ViVe's dysfunctional roomspace garbage) are motivating waggle-tier gameplay mechanics that break immersion because they're neither interesting nor fun. the only games that anyone "gets" how to make right now are walking simulators and vomit rocket "space" games
>it's a revolution
a revolution with no victories to show will be put down after the initial burst of directionless energy. so i agree
>>
>>341225039
Yeah, that's pretty bad. SPT needs a lot of room though otherwise you can't dodge.

It's only boring if you do the shield + laser route imo which is what all the top scorers do. Dual pistols or nothin'
>>
>>341225359
ah, The Lab, shit meng, that's probably the best free game right now.

All the games in those are fun.

also, my "Waiting For:" are
>Arizona Sunshine
>Raw Data
>Giant Cop
>>
>>341225359
I don't know how you can find Audioshield boring. It's probably the most intense game you can get while standing.
>>
>>341225832
>Giant Cop

Oculus just paid them off and now it's Touch exclusive.
>>
I think HMD hype suffers from the "idea guy" problem, that things always sound better before you try and implement them. When you don't have to provide a full specification, you can call things "implementation details" that'll get sorted out someday by someone or other. Put another way, as long as you're staying within the realm of ideas rather than implementations, you can hang on to things that are contradictory or impossible because, thank god, reality hasn't intruded on the purity of your ideas.
So HMD apologists say that people "lack imagination" about what HMDs are "capable of." For my part, I try and think about, what kinds of bodily manipulations would we expect of users, and how would their bodily movements translate into (e.g.) event callbacks? And once you start thinking of HMD gaming from that perspective, it becomes incredibly awkward, and it makes sense why we only have tech demos and flight sims. It also becomes obvious that "the tech" doesn't really make a lick of difference, because these are design problems.
Right now the HMD apologists are in the honeymoon phase. The skeptics are either idiots who don't understand the technology, or people who understand the technology too well. For someone on an HMD honeymoon it's hard to differentiate the two, so it becomes easy to pull out the broad brush and go right back to the heart-shaped vibrating bed.
>>
>>341205518
what is the best VR game announced so far?
>>
>>341225587
>i'll bite
you're cool
>>tried it
>had devkit 2 for several weeks + went to multiple VR dev meetups
But have you used a Vive?
>>can't afford it
>i literally can so
Answer whether or not you have tried VR with motion tracking/a Vive
>>immersion
>"motion sickness" is still a real problem for at least half my friends, but the more important issue is that the unfinished gimmicks tacked on to the VR clown car (e.g. ViVe's dysfunctional roomspace garbage) are motivating waggle-tier gameplay mechanics that break immersion because they're neither interesting nor fun. the only games that anyone "gets" how to make right now are walking simulators and vomit rocket "space" games
motion sickness only occurs in games without head-tracking. How the fuck do you manage the mental gymnastics to say "roomspace" is "garbage", "break(s) immersion", and "neither interesting nor fun"?
>vomit rocket "space" games
You're either weak or you had an isolated incident where head tracking didn't work for you. Or maybe you haven't experienced head tracking at all
>>
>>341225832
Completely forgot about Arizona sunshine and Raw Data.
There was also an announcement of Serious Sam coming to VR which might be worth checking out.

They all seem to be wave based shooters which is not something I am really keen on. The game I am looking forward to the most at the moment would have to be budget cuts. They really nailed down the mechanics right.

I tried some free FPS demo in unreal that had a running in place locomotion system where you hold grip buttons and swing arms to move. It looks weird but felt reasonably natural, still a little awkward but less detracting than teleportation. I find Teleportation to be the smoothest and most comfortable way to move around however.

I really want a game where you can move around comfortably and use guns down to the level of detail of H3VR.

I might give onward a shot seems to be just that, well except for their locomotion method. I hope they use running in place instead of button bound movement, that method makes me want to barf my innards both figuratively and literally.

Teleportation with a shooter sounds highly prone to cheesing, perhaps a cover based game with lengthy cool downs and a distance limitation on teleportation would work.
>>
>>341226046
>Right now the HMD apologists are in the honeymoon phase.
I will admit that I'm much more excited for what's coming than what's currently available.

But I have high hopes for VorpX development, Raw Data, Budget Cuts, Arizona Sunshine, and The Brookhaven Experiment.

Content is thin, and people with VR are in-fact looking for more variety.
The good thing is that right now, there's enough content available to satiate those who can dish out an extra few hundred dollars on the overpriced games available.

But for those of us who purchased it thinking games would be meatier at more reasonable pricing, we're stuck with our bundle-set, demos, and free experiences. I'll spend more when I hear more good things about what's available. It's a bit hard to get reviews from people I trust, because so few people I trust also HAVE VR. I'm optimistic, but I think reasonably so.
>>
File: 1374192366847.jpg (284 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1374192366847.jpg
284 KB, 1600x1200
Go on peope.
Keep buying this shit so we can have better hardware and no need to wait 5 more years for an improvement, and maybe you will get somwhere with this running and motion controls VR bullshit.

Sincerely, A simfag.
>>
>>341227201
As a simfag, you should be all too happy that sims are being brought to the forefront of gaming because of VR.
>>
>>341209345
In a few years, vr will no longer exist.

No one is going to keep pumping money into a huge in eysink to keel it afloat.

Its literally 3d tv all over again
>>
>>341219380
Every time without fail, some sad retard can only defend his dying gimmick with
"U never tried it"
>>
>>341207036
it's not, he's just a faggot who doesn't want people to have nice things like actual immersion into vg worlds, only cruel reality with a tiny flat window into them.
>>
>>341225994
I hope fuckface makes their own special snowflake apple VR platform like AMD's sullon cortex and fucks off the PC market for good.

Don't need this hardware exclusivity bullshit on PC, the sooner more third party manufacturers and peripheral makers join the fray the better.

I hope OSVR kicks off despite despising razer products.
>>
File: ford.jpg (7 KB, 303x276) Image search: [Google]
ford.jpg
7 KB, 303x276
>I will counter your criticism of VR with "you never tried it!" every single time

Come on guys, this is becoming a laughable joke now.
>>
>>341228073
>>I will counter your criticism of VR with "you never tried it!" every single time
>Come on guys, this is becoming a laughable joke now.
If you kept telling me that having sex isn't great, but you've never tried it.

Your argument still wouldn't be valid.
>>
>>341227330
I have a HMD since years ago, when they were 640x480 display interpolated.
Its because of simfags that now VR is a thing, and they are doing whatever they can to force it into the mainstream to grab some money of it.
>>
>>341228073
What else can they do? Deep down, they realize theyre wrong and they backed the wrong horse
>>
>>341228225
If you kept telling me that having gay sex isn't great, but you've never tried it.

Your argument still wouldn't be valid.
>>
>>341228258
>Its because of simfags that now VR is a thing
It's because of videogames that sims even exist on the consumer level
>>
>>341228394
I can't prove a negative, so if I claimed that, my argument would be faulty.

Just like yours is.
>>
>>341228073
>Come on guys, this is becoming a laughable joke now.
In what way?

I mean, I get it. It is terrifying when ever something different show up. But the fact is saying something is bad without trying it is a legitimately silly. I KNOW dactyl nightmare sucked, but I had actually tried it before coming up with that view. And I borrowed a Virtual Boy and tried it to know that it sucked as a gaming device. I didn't dismiss either of them without trying it first.
>>
>>341228418
>It's because of videogames that sims even exist on the consumer level
Its because of bored scientist that videogames even exist
>>
>>341228573
It's because of mitosis that bored scientists even exist
>>
>>341227169
all i want is the sims in VR. it would give me the courage to leave my basement if i could practice doing life in VR.
>>
>>341228508
I guess Meme Run can be as good as The Last of Us then.
>>
>>341228551
>In what way?

Maybe because it's a type of ad hominem and ignores the fact that people can have different opinions to you.
>>
>>341228673
it could be if you use play-time as an indication of "being good"

but we'd both probably agree that isn't true, and that claim is wrong for most people, if not experienced people.
>>
>>341228721
>ad hominem
the people who claim it's a meme don't eve HAVE an argument

it's a reaction to their lack of argument, so it can't be an ad hominem
>>
>when motion controls were the ongoing fad
>"I DON'T WANT TO MOVE AROUND TO PLAY VIDEOGAMES! GIVE ME A FUCKING NORMAL CONTROLLER"
>now
>"VR IS THE FUTURE! I LOVE TO MOVE AROUND BLINDED BY A SCREEN TAPED ON MY FACE" *WAGGLES*
>>
>>341228721
>Maybe because it's a type of ad hominem and ignores the fact that people can have different opinions to you.
Of course people can have different opinins, but are they informed opinions? It is fine to say "VR is scary! I want it killed before it ruined gaming forever!". But to actually lie about VR by making up things about it from your head, due to a complete lack of experience of what it actually is, is opinion that meant nothing at all.
>>
>>341205951
>vr could be cool you fucking cynic
No it won't, its a shitty gimmick. The only VR that matters is deep diving. AR is what your are looking for.
>>
>>341229014
If you don't like motion controls, you can still play seated VR games, though.

Also, the poster counter didn't go up when you made your post, I wonder why.
>>
>>341229014
>>"I DON'T WANT TO MOVE AROUND TO PLAY VIDEOGAMES! GIVE ME A FUCKING NORMAL CONTROLLER"
I actually DID try wiimotes. I am pretty sure you did too, consider how common they are. The question is, did you try VR?
>>
>>341205951
>rpgs
>Fo4
>>
>>341229067
>No it won't, its a shitty gimmick.
it's, at the very least, a cool gimmick.
>The only VR that matters is deep diving. AR is what your are looking for.
VR has different strokes for different folks.

What I don't understand is why people want it to fail.
>>
File: screen.jpg (104 KB, 800x300) Image search: [Google]
screen.jpg
104 KB, 800x300
>>
>>341228721
When words trump scientific investigation through analysis, it was called the medieval ages.
>>
>>341229246
>What I don't understand is why people want it to fail.
I suspect many people lack imagination, and fear that their favourite games would disappear if VR become mainstream. Basically, they care only about the games they are playing today, and any new types of games are some kind of enemy.
>>
>>341229250
>people still don't understand how light refraction works
there's a reason VR has lenses in them.

They are the solution to simulate a screen being a reasonable distance from your eyes.

Chances are, you already sit in front of a monitor for hours at a time anyways
>>
>>341229246
Have you been paying attention to how much time, money, and manpower has been devoted to shoving this hardware and its games down our throats? Time and money that could have been spent elsewhere?
>>
>>341229350
trump is quite the intellectual figure
>>
it won't even be as popular as waggling, since it requires an expensive 400 dollar pair of googles
>>
You know what I don't get about VR? Why try to pitch it as VR?

Think about it, people always buy bigger and bigger screens to see what they want to see as easily as possible. The goal is to cover as much of the peripheral vision with as few distractions on the sideline as possible.

In this sense wouldn't something like a headset that straps a screen to your face be an infinitely better idea?

I mean fuck, phones can pull off 1440p already so this shouldn't be impossible.
>>
>>341229406
>Have you been paying attention to how much time, money, and manpower has been devoted to shoving this hardware and its games down our throats? Time and money that could have been spent elsewhere?
Elsewhere where? Your pockets? The companies are more worried about money than you, you don't need to try to be their financial manager in their stead.
>>
>>341229246
No one wants it fail, they just think all that effort could be spent better in something else that could do just the same thing and if not, better.
>>
I never tried VR yet. Wanna test it out at least once before deciding.
>>
File: 1462971820910.jpg (17 KB, 287x395) Image search: [Google]
1462971820910.jpg
17 KB, 287x395
I think it's going to be a hideous flop too, no matter how much damage control happens on here
>>
>>341229582
>No one wants it fail, they just think all that effort could be spent better in something else that could do just the same thing and if not, better.
What thing? As far as I am aware, all the AAA games are already so expensive that they could barely make their money back. Trying to make games even more expensive to make just ensures that they go bankrupt.
>>
>>341229581

Not him, but when this blunders (and it will), the companies are going to sit there scratching their heads and that Anon will be correct.

I'm just fucking surprised Nintendo, the Prince Of Gimmicks, has shown such oddly admirable restraint.
>>
>>341229730
>Not him, but when this blunders (and it will), the companies are going to sit there scratching their heads and that Anon will be correct.
Which just boils down to this; the companies have tried VR, and you haven't.
>>
>>341229712

Me too.

I just can't fathom how much of a difference it will make to the core games we play.

As they showed off at E3, getting people to move around freely with the goggles on is a technical challenge.

Are they going to design all future games around us not moving?
>>
>>341229406
>>341229582
>The money could have been spent on something else!
Not really a great argument, I mean, money can always be spent on better things, but capitalism works in the way that demand is met with supply.

People demanded VR, so VR was supplied.

If you get everyone excited for Half Life 3 and not just memed about it, maybe it'd be made faster. The fact is that there's an overwhelming demand for VR, but consumers didn't know how much it would cost them until now.

Now they still want it but want it cheaper without having even tried it, as well as people outright sabotaging it because they believe it's to expensive for themselves to have, so they prevent it from catching on before they're left in the dust.
>>
>>341229797

Yes, and the companies though they had created the newest innovation in gaming when waggling became a thing too.

What it REALLY boils down to is that these companies are probably wrong. And no one smells that mistake better than consumers.
>>
File: aliens3.png (27 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
aliens3.png
27 KB, 125x125
>>341229886
>as well as people outright sabotaging it because they believe it's to expensive for themselves to have

This is glorious - this is what they're telling themselves to stave off the buyer's remorse

TOO POOR FOR YOU?
>>
File: putin.jpg (92 KB, 2140x1605) Image search: [Google]
putin.jpg
92 KB, 2140x1605
You have 5 seconds to name something that VR brings to gaming other than increased immersion.
>>
>>341229969
>What it REALLY boils down to is that these companies are probably wrong. And no one smells that mistake better than consumers.
You are not a consumer though, as you haven't tried it, and it appears, refuse to try it on principle.
>>
Everything VR right now looks like an experiment on VR itself rather than a proper game on its own right. That's what discourages me most, I really don't feel like being an early adopter for something that very obviously is not here yet. I want real full-fledged games that just happen to use VR, not a gimmick VR appstore.
>>
>>341230020
>You have 5 seconds to name something that VR brings to gaming other than increased immersion.
You have 5 seconds to name something that gaming bring to your life other than enjoyment.
>>
>>341230020
That's all VR was meant to be for.

Literally why everyone was excited for it.

Why would it need more? It does its job and does it well.
>>
>>341229858
Surely some clever solutions will start to pop up to deal with locomotion.
Budget cuts did a fine job of it.

I agree however that it is far easier to move around on a monitor without having to worry about your position in the room.

The treadmills where you slide your feet on a pad wouldn't feel right. And having a mutiple DoF treadmill that predicts where you are going ahead of time and applies feedback sounds incredibly difficult to achieve
>>
>>341219380
I did try it.
I tried it in the 90s on those big machines when they made tv-shows about VR and movies (lawnmower man and VR5), I tried it in the early naugties and I've tried it now.

I don' get the hoopla and it is just a novelty.
>>
>>341230134

I refuse to try it on the information I've been given. I took what I've seen into consideration, and I reached my conclusion based on it.

And the information I've been given is: it's shit.

Based on the massive amount of said information I've obtained, I am willing to put my money on myself over the corporations.
>>
>>341230014
>This is glorious - this is what they're telling themselves to stave off the buyer's remorse
It's true though, and you'll KEEP posting that
>it's a meme, lol DON'T TELL ME I HAVE TO TRY IT FIRST THAT'S A SHITTY ARGUMENT I WIN
>OH LOL I'M TOO POOR? HAHA YOU JUST HAVE BUYER'S REMORSE FOR AN EXPENSIVE MONITOR YOU TAPE TO YOUR FOREHEAD!

Insufferable shitposting, and we'll never have good discussions about it until people like you finally try it and are able to form an actual opinion.

Seriously, get off the bandwagon and inform yourself.
>>
>>341230226
>You have 5 seconds to name something that gaming bring to your life other than enjoyment.

Socialization with my friends

Improved hand-eye coordination

Lite-education when playing historical based games
>>
>>341230391
>I refuse to try it on the information I've been given.
What reason do you have to refuse trying it?
>>
>>341230391
>Based on the massive amount of said information I've obtained, I am willing to put my money on myself over the corporations.
Well ofcourse, it is your money. I am not going to tell you how to spend it. But Isn't it silly to be so terrified of VR, like it's some kind of brainwashing machine?
>>
>>341230502
>Improved hand-eye coordination
How? By imperfectly replicating your hand movement in a virtual environment? By making you wave your arms to perform an action that could be done much faster with a button press?
>>
>>341230565
>>341230584

Not him but I understand why some people may be intrinsically uncomfortable about VR.

For example, I think that if VR succeeds it will only accentuate the cancerous trend of gaming towards narrative based games and walking simulators.
>>
There's not enough free VR porn.

There's not enough free games.

There's not enough free stuff to go along with this expensive hardware.

Valve is trying to increase the chances with DestinationsVR and by developing OpenVR, but right now it's a buyer's world.
>>
>>341230502
>Socialization with my friends
VR brings face to face comminication complete with facial expressions
>Improved hand-eye coordination
Even better in VR.
>Lite-education when playing historical based games
You can visit actual archaeological sites, surface of Mars, and other educational scenes in VR.
VR can do all that.
>>
>>341230683
I'm just going by the research and the research says that gaming improves hand-eye coordination.
>>
>>341230716
>For example, I think that if VR succeeds it will only accentuate the cancerous trend of gaming towards narrative based games and walking simulators.
Both these things have already existed for years. Why are you afraid of them NOW?
>>
>>341230716
>cancerous trend of gaming towards narrative based games and walking simulators.
That's already happening/already happened WITHOUT VR, though
>>
VR will be good for sims where you sit down most of the time. (i.e. racing games and flight sims)
>>
>>341230565

Because I don't like what I've seen.

Because the information I have obtained doesn't warrant a purchase.

>>341230584

I'm not terrified of VR.

I'm terrified of losing my money. I'm terrified of telling corporations "we want more of this!" by accident.

I don't care about VR. I am indifferent to VR.
>>
>>341230779
He wasn't agains't VR, he was replying the the guy who asked for a list of things VR is good for.
>>
>>341230779
>VR brings face to face comminication complete with facial expressions

It's called a webcam.

>Even better in VR.

There's no evidence for that yet.

>You can visit actual archaeological sites, surface of Mars, and other educational scenes in VR.

You can already do that on a regular computer monitor. VR just makes it more immersive as already stated above.
>>
>>341230874

Yes, because this industry is so overflowing with those.
>>
>>341230928
>Because I don't like what I've seen.
What don't you like?

If it's simply a matter of purchase price, then I can understand. If you have the money, you should try it, if not, then VR isn't for you yet.
>>
>>341228073
The best part is I tried an Oculus out at a Best Buy recently. It's not THAT much different than phone VR. Head tracking is cool, yeah, but it doesn't "CHANGE EVERYTHING" like these faggots say it does. At best it's a neat gimmick.
>>
>>341231059

I don't like what games have been shown for it.
I don't like what hardware demands VR-rendering will demand.
And finally: I don't feel it's demonstrated potential to advance games I care about in any way I deem meaningful.

I have money. I make enough money to buy one. But I chose not to because the sales pitch of the seller has failed to convince me to purchase.
>>
>>341231130
>but it doesn't "CHANGE EVERYTHING" like these faggots say it does.
It literally does.

If you spent more than 30 minutes in VR without head-tracking, you'd start to become nauseous. Head tracking is what allows your brain to realize that your head is moving around in 3d space.
>>
>>341231303
>I don't like what hardware demands VR-rendering will demand.
*I don't like what hardware VR-rendering will demand.

Sorry about that. Not much sleep due to E3.
>>
File: HotasWarthog800x600.jpg (34 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
HotasWarthog800x600.jpg
34 KB, 800x600
imagine this: (with voice command like in video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2sccDxOwwE

+picrelated
+VR
+ some dankaroo

I'm affraid of VR... I will never leave my house whenever I get it
>>
File: dsf.png (100 KB, 236x260) Image search: [Google]
dsf.png
100 KB, 236x260
>>341231309
>motion controls is the only reason why it is good

I thought you guys hated motion controls and they were proven as impractical for gaming. But motion controls are alright if they are bundled with VR?

Really? Is that what you guys are saying?
>>
>>341231303
>I don't like what games have been shown for it.
You mean you don't like the lack of content? Or you actually dislike VR titles because of another reason?
>I don't like what hardware demands VR-rendering will demand.
So you dislike the power-consumption and you are concerned about the environment? Or you simply cannot afford the technologies required to use VR?
>I don't feel it's demonstrated potential to advance games I care about in any way I deem meaningful.
I don't think you can say it has demonstrated anything to you if you haven't tried it. That's something dependent on your actual experience. But you did preface that with "I don't feel", which means you're emotionally inclined to believe it wouldn't work for some reason.

If you have the money to buy one and the means to run it, I'm not sure why you wouldn't unless you're emotionally distraught about VR and/or care about the environment highly enough to consider your power consumption. (let me be honest when I say most gaming wouldn't be healthy for the environment just due to the fact that energy is being spent on playing games, but I'm willing to hear how that could be justified.)
>>
>>341231432
A car simulator in space will make you never leave your house...

Think about that for a bit.
>>
>>341231573
>motion controls is the only reason why it is good
>But motion controls are alright if they are bundled with VR? Really? Is that what you guys are saying?
SPECIFICALLY head-tracking.

not controllers
>>
>>341231853
>SPECIFICALLY head-tracking.

Pull the stick out of your arse. "Head-tracking" is just a euphemism for "motion controls inside my goggles"
>>
>>341231761
you know what I meant nigga.
And why call it a car simulator in space just because car sounds less cool than ''spaceship''
>>
File: oculel.png (860 KB, 1620x599) Image search: [Google]
oculel.png
860 KB, 1620x599
>strapping an OLED screen the size of the PS Vita on your head
>"VR"

>not chilling on your couch in front of a 4K TV with a pizza on the table
>>
What I don't get is what the end game is. Let's say VR technology as it is becomes perfected. What are you even going to do with it?

Room scale camera whatevers like the Vive won't catch on. Few people have an empty room just for gaming. You'd be constantly bumping into desks or seeing blue warning walls when you get too close to something, it'd ruin the immersion VR is supposed to create immediately. Like, with the Wii you weren't going to run into something because you just stayed still and you could still see the world. All you needed was arm space. With the Vive, you're supposed to run and jump around.

I use "jump" quite literally there, since there's a Markiplier video where he's playing VR tennis and he hits his ceiling twice while trying to jump to get a high ball.

Also, VR can't be used for a lot of genres of games. Or rather, it can't be used in a way that provides an experience different enough to warrant using it.

For example, how would you use VR for platformers? Beat'em ups? Fighting games? JRPGs? "Make it first person" won't make any sense with certain genres so that won't fix it. Meanwhile, certain games like SRPGs could be VR but really only for camera angles so you can see units better. In other words, it'd be very limited to the point where it feels like it's tacked on for the sake of it.

I do like the idea of PSVR though for one reason only. It means I can play a PS4 without a TV. It's why I like the Wii U game pad, being able to play a console without using the TV can be pretty handy sometimes. No more having to replug devices since there aren't enough HDMI ports for example. You can play a game without hogging the TV so that no one else can use it. I don't have to half close the curtains because the sun is shining on the screen and obscuring everything.

Honestly, I hope TVless consoles is the next step. It's just so convenient.
>>
>>341231908
Anon, it's no more motion than looking from the edge of your screen to the other side.

The millimeter-accurate tracking is enough to prevent all kinds of motion sickness for hours of play, where without it, you would become sick over time.

you don't need a lot of head-motion tracking to prevent sickness, but it is important to have it none-the-less, and if they're going to have it, it may as well be the best.
>>
>>341232043
>cuckulus
>>
>>341205518
VR is a gimmick, like you said.
Therefore, people will buy it, and then when another gen rolls around, it will be forgotten.
Original Wii was a big hit...then nobody cares about motion controls anymore.
Same thing.
I think Conan said it best when he predicted we all be reduced to tadpoles in the next six years with something strapped to our heads, while we float around in a vat of various fluids to keep us alive.
>>
>>341232043
>vr doesn't give immersion (the key reason it was made), lol
>let me use my 4k screen for higher-fidelity images (the key reason it was made), lol
I don't get it.
>>
>>341232043
>>341232113
>2. You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.
>>
>>341232113
>how would you use VR for platformers?
Lucky's Tale

It's a lot like playing a game as a table-top in that way. 3D games can benefit from VR, and VR does make 3D games play/feel differently
>>
While everyone is wondering what the fuck is the point of VR, the Japanese are already working hard on making the best porn simulators they can.

https://www.lewdgamer.com/2016/06/13/japans-first-adult-virtual-reality-festival/
>>
>>341231760
>You mean you don't like the lack of content? Or you actually dislike VR titles because of another reason?
I dislike that VR hasn't portrayed any genre I care about in some clearly superior way. For example, let's say I like SRPGs. I have not seen any way SRPGs have been enhanced by this technology.

>So you dislike the power-consumption and you are concerned about the environment? Or you simply cannot afford the technologies required to use VR?
I don't care about the environment and I don't think my power-bill will be made abysmal by use of VR. I have, however, gotten used to a certain standard in terms of visual fidelity. Like 1440p, 90++ fps and the likes. However, I also know how hard it is to maintain these standards within a personally acceptable cost. I do not foresee I will be able to maintain such high standards within the budget I allow myself.

>I don't think you can say it has demonstrated anything to you if you haven't tried it.
But I can. That's why sellers host demonstrations. So that people can see the device in action.

>But you did preface that with "I don't feel", which means you're emotionally inclined to believe it wouldn't work for some reason.
If we're going on semantics, I'd rephrase to "I don't belive based on experience and information given" instead.

>inclined to believe it wouldn't work
That is correct, yes.

>If you have the money to buy one and the means to run it, I'm not sure why you wouldn't
Again, as mentioned above, I am horribly afraid of sending large corporations the wrong message. Capitalism works because I cast a vote when I purchase something. It is important to me that said vote reflects my will.

It is very important to me that when I supply my cash as feedback to the industry that maintains my hobby, it is the correct feedback that properly reflects my wishes.
>>
Why do people keep having this conversation? Just let nature take it's course and whatever happens, happens. Otherwise you're all just fighting over which rain drop on a window will drip to the bottom fastest.
>>
>Sony is seriously going to attempt VR with what they have
This is going to be a disaster that makes the whole field look bad. I have respect for microsoft hearing their plans for VR include upgrading the fuck outta the Xbone first rather than settle for sub 1080 (which is too little as is) and not wanting to take framerate hits.
>>
File: 1464877950329.jpg (16 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
1464877950329.jpg
16 KB, 236x236
Regarding all the "you're too poor" - it's obvious to anyone with any money that something like VR is infinitely more appealing to the poor, because being poor is shit.
>>
>>341232829
I was under the impression Sony was going to make a big fuss about it like the Vita TV but in the end it will be nothing and forgotten about by even Sony.
>>
desu I'll probably just wait until they can pipe that shit directly into my brain.
I don't want to wear fuckhuge goggles to play games on a tiny screen an inch away from my eyes.
>>
>>341232608
>superior gaming portrayal
Oh, I'm sorry, VR is made for immersion, not changing gaming as a whole, just a new way to experience it. Mainly making it feel like you're in the world.
>1440p at 90fps
VR is 90fps btw, but the point of VR isn't to be high-fidelity, just enough to work plausibly/effectively
then you mention cost being a factor which I already said if you can't afford it, then don't buy it
>But I can (say it has demonstrated its capabilities to me without trying it)
But you really can't, how can you?

>>inclined to believe it wouldn't work
>That is correct, yes.
It works for everyone else, so unless you have depth-perception issues, then I can't see why it wouldn't work for you.

So you're afraid to give money to something you haven't tried. Perfectly reasonable. But you cannot dismiss it entirely until you have actually had the chance to try it. That is to say that right now, you can't say it's not worth the money. You can only say that you haven't tried it and, as a consumer, are responsible enough to try things before you try them/criticize them.
>>
>>341233367
>are responsible enough to try things before you buy** them/criticize them.
>>
>>341233203
>letting a company have direct access into your brain

they're already data mining everything you do online and you want to let them inside your mind?!
>>
>>341233203
You will never live to see that technology.

screencap this post so in case I'm wrong in the future, you can look back at it and spit on my comment.
>>
>>341233129
people have already preordered it, so they will have to present something or otherwise refund everyone their money.
>>
>>341233367
Even if you do have depth perception issues, it still works. It's not a cross eyed trick, it just gives you a screen on your head that moves as your head moves and makes each screen what your eye would see. I have one eye and the Vive worked fine for me.
>>
>>341233367
>You can only say that you haven't tried it and, as a consumer, are responsible enough to try things before you try them/criticize them.

And how can you say you love someone, if you haven't eaten their poop?
>>
>>341233657
>I have one eye and the Vive worked fine for me.
I think that's sad but also neat.

You don't get the immersion with just one eye though.
>>
it's worth it for the porn and waifu games alone desu

plus I love flight sims, racing sims, space sims, etc. etc. so it's a no brainer

the standing touch games are just a bonus. They could be awesome if the right effort is put in them. Haven't tried them yet.
>>
File: 1410930791164.gif (1 MB, 297x198) Image search: [Google]
1410930791164.gif
1 MB, 297x198
>>341205518
It's just another drop in the bucket of "we've run out of ideas, so let's recycle shit from 30 years ago". Seriously, what was the last bullshit gimmick? 3D. Know how long that shit's been around? Since Jaws was released in theaters. VR is no fucking different. I remember in the early 90's walking through the mall and seeing douchebags on circular pads with the same albeit bigger fucking boxes strapped on their faces, frantically waving their arms and dodging imaginary bullets. If you think this is the new hot shit for the near future, you're either a house mom or a very naive child. The world's run out of ideas. It's been this way for nearly 20 years. Same shit, new era, same luke warm reception. In a year and a half, companies will realize "oh shit, guess we should stop wasting money, let's put it on the back burner" and revisit it in another decade when they think people forgot about it and technology is somewhat better.
>>
>>341233367
>But you cannot dismiss it entirely until you have actually had the chance to try it.
You can actually do that very easily.
>>
>>341205518
>VR is a gimmick because I can't afford it
As someone who can afford it and has tried several headsets including PSVR, most of them offer great experiences. Mainly the three big ones (Vive, Rift and PSVR), but even a lot of the lesser known ones are offering decent experiences.

Just get a job, OP. You'll get it one day and realize you were an idiot for ever doubting it.
>>
>>341234019
You can, but not logically/ethically.

Your opinion is just shit if you do.
>>
>>341233997
Also, look at the costs for consumers. Remember how expensive 3D TV's were? How much a fucking pair of nigger glasses cost just to watch in 3D? Same fucking shit.
>>
>>341233804
For me, it's not about 3d like it seems to be for some people. It's about the fact that the videogame places your head where your characters head is. People rarely talk about the real advantage of VR. 3d might be cool, might not be. I don't know. What's infinitely cooler for me is that everything I see is to scale. A character on a computer screen will always seem tiny, but a character in front of me with a VR device will look tall, they'll look big, and you'll move you're head looking at it like it's really there.
>>
>>341233367
>Oh, I'm sorry, VR is made for immersion, not changing gaming as a whole, just a new way to experience it. Mainly making it feel like you're in the world.
As yes, but immersion is a subjective meme-word. I feel like I'm properly in the world when I play on a screen, or read a book, or play a table-top wargame.

>just enough to work plausibly/effectively
Ah, yes, but see, I don't settle for "plausibly". I, and a lot of other people, would rather play a game in 4k on ultra-max at 144 fps on our 2D screens then have to slice all that in two for something that doesn't objectively offer to immerse me more than I already am.

>But you really can't, how can you?
Oh but I can. My opinion has been affected before purchasing. That is the point of advertisement. However it has had the reverse effect on me and made me skeptical to the point where I have discarded the idea of purchase.

>It works for everyone else
That is irrelevant to me and almost always incorrect. See who's playing the semantics game now!

>So you're afraid to give money to something you haven't tried.
No. I'm afraid to give money to things I don't like.

>as a consumer, are responsible enough to try things before you try them/criticize them
You almost nailed that quote, but it's "try before you buy". Not "try before you criticize".

As >>341233749 said, I'm pretty sure shit doesn't taste like candy.

>cost being a factor
Based on the information I have already provided you with about my high standards, you should assume I am willing to spend a lot on my hobby. As it stand right now, the cost of VR outweighs the product's immediate value in my eyes.

And until that changes my opinion on the matter of purchasing said equipment will not change.
>>
>>341234402
>a subjective meme-word.
I'm done talking with you, it's impossible to talk about VR on this site.

just call everything a meme and you win from now on
>>
>>341234526
>it's impossible to talk about VR on this site.

It's funny how people have these expectations like you should be lapping up precisely as much corporate pabulum as they are.

People think it's shit. Deal with it.
>>
>>341234612
>People think it's shit.
people think vaccines give people autism too
>>
>>341234526

Immersion is an improvable factor that is so subjective that anyone can claim anything and pretend their opinion is fact.

There is no metric for how immersed someone is, and there never will be, so raising it as an argument of how something is "clearly improved" without any evidence of such is meaningless.

I can claim that eating class while crashing through a window in Max Payne will raise immersion but if it actually does or not will depend on the individual.
>>
>>341234119
Not really. It's the standard conclusion for hobbyists that are restricted by time/resources. If you insist otherwise you may be suffering from a legitimate delusion.
>>
>>341234713
*class
I mean "glass".

I'm too tired for this.
>>
>>341205518
I haven't tried it yet so can't leave an opinion other than I'll be looking forward to the porn games.
>>
>>341234697
Do you really have that much of a problem with people's opinions that you'd compare them to provable scientific matters?
>>
>>341234526
>"I am completely out of arguments and I just got BTFO."
>>
>>341234526
so youre going to ignore that anon because he used a word you didnt like? clearly youre furthering the discussion of vr
>>
Personally I'm certain the reason it will flop is because you can't walk or move your character without feeling sick.

If Valve handed off that shit for free you better believe it isn't going anywhere.
>>
>>341234526
>it's impossible to talk about _____ on this site.

dont use this site to discuss. use it to read headlines. what people reply is pointless. this is a great news site. nothing more.

headline topics receive like 300 replies of pointless insults and inside jokes.
>>
>>341229250
>because VR glasses shoots electrons to your eyes as same as CRT did
>>
>>341234713
>I can claim that eating class while crashing through a window in Max Payne will raise immersion but if it actually does or not will depend on the individual.
I believe it would if it were the right amount of glass. But that seems like a painful method of immersion, where VR is painless when done properly.
>>341234728
>It's the standard conclusion for hobbyists that are restricted by time/resources.
>standard
you mean common
>>341234830
People are ignorant, I don't know what your point is
>>341234851
They are simply avoiding being labeled as poor and want to believe their opinion is acceptable on VR without having tried it. Is that ok in a civilized, ethical, reasonable society? Even if we're not in one, we shouldn't try to be as objective as possible rather than ignorant?
>>
>>341234983
>you can't walk or move your character without feeling sick.
That isn't true. If everyone who claimed motion sickness played VR with head-motion tracking, there wouldn't be any claims of motion sickness.
>>
>>341235041
>and want to believe their opinion is acceptable on VR without having tried it

Why do you have such a problem with people expressing their opinion? Why can't you just move on if they don't agree with you?

Are you aspergers?
>>
>>341233997
except that's wrong and it's been improved in every way

>hurr no one will use smartphones because phones used to be bad

eat shit you dumbass
>>
>>341235171
How do you turn your camera fully around with full-motion head-tracking?
>>
>>341235185
>Why do you have such a problem with people expressing their opinion? Why can't you just move on if they don't agree with you?
Because their opinion is baseless.

I can say Justin Bieber is a bad singer based on what everyone else has said, but in the end, if I haven't listened to his music, I'm just a bandwagoner.

Bandwagoning is a logical fallacy, and this entire site is quick to point out when someone uses one, so I don't get why it would be any different in this situation.
>>
>>341235041
>I believe it would
And you would be wrong. A person forced to eat glass would not give a single shit in the entire world about what game was occurring in front of him as his tongue bled in agonizing pain.

He would be so focused on the pain that immersion would probably be impossible.

Unless you want to wiggle out of your statement on the "right amounts of glass".
>>
>>341235298
>Bandwagoning is a logical fallacy

OK so yes, you are aspergers.
>>
>>341235273
You turn your head.
>>
I definitely do see VR becoming a major step in gaming and not just a gimmick, but I do feel like we're in the infancy of it and that the tech needs a few more steps before we're truly ready to adapt it for bigger games. VR games currently:
>Have awkward forms of movement, either disconnecting you with the world through control stick movement or forcing you to play the teleport the room game that only works for a handful of titles
>Have to be in enclosed spaces because the resolution will make seeing anything far away impossible. Your eyes will get confused trying to focus to see something far away that never gets any clearer
>Are in an awkward place tech-wise requiring very expensive setups or very lack luster performance that ruins the whole thing

All that being said, experiencing the 1 to 1 head and controller tracking the Vive has made me believe there's quite a bit to this.
>>
>>341235041
>VR enthusiast genuinely advocates for eating glass for "immersion" purposes

IT'S IMMERSION GUISE
>>
>>341235381
This doesn't present a problem in FPS games? With cabling and whatnot getting in the way?
>>
>>341235323
>And you would be wrong.
well, if I wanted to prove it is, I would try it.

Unfortunately, I actually have chewed glass, and know for a fact that it is painful. Based on that one experience, I do not wish to experience that depth of immersion. That is a based opinion on previous experience.

And actually, if I'm in so much pain that I can't continue, that would be very realistic, as games tend to dull down the effects of pain for the sake of progression.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.