[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, realistically how long do you think it would take to learn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 600x600
So, realistically how long do you think it would take to learn enough Japanese to play this game, or any other imported game? Not necessarily fluent in Japanese but enough that you can get through the game without many problems
>>
Grammar's actually pretty straightforward. It's mostly a matter of cramming vocab/kanji.
>>
It honestly isn't hard to play jap games that don't require you to actually deduce the plot to progress. I used to play plenty of jap only JRPGs that way.
>>
File: JOEKS.jpg (65 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
JOEKS.jpg
65 KB, 1920x1080
please
>>
>>341166521
I actually have a basic knowledge of Japanese. I know both Hiragana and Katakana so that's not an issue, and I understand how the grammar works for the most part, subjects and particles and whatever. So for the vocabulary, which of course would be the focus here, is it really that hard to learn enough to play?
>>
>>341165135
>dating sim
Honestly you could figure out all the menus in like a week, actual dialog would take you at least a year
>>
Six months
>>
The 3D tits in this game inspire me to learn more of the world as well OP. If you really do it, make guide for other way wards like myself.
>>
>>341166969
Learn vocab through the game then
Since it's like amagami and Photokano this is rather casual and vocab should repeat quite well

You'll be rather slow but I think games like these are great for an alternative/supplement to stuff like Anki
>>
>>341169329
It's like I'm thinking with my dick and it's going to bring me the knowledge of a new language just so I can play vidya and look at tits. But I want to learn Japanese so I can go visit the country and not be fucking lost the whole time and for the vidya of course. I'll see what I can do, and I'll share my knowledge with you one day
>>
Thinking of learning it for persona 5 in September. there's so many games I could play with the Japanese language
>>
>>341170610
That's what I was thinking as well. However, how would I go about learning the vocabulary through the game? By using a dictionary and translating it or?
>>
>>341171059
Exactly, there are plenty of games you can play if you just learned the language! Sure you can play games without knowing what's going on, but personally that kind of ruins the experience. I see /v/ talking about censored games when they get localized all the time, but we would be able to play the original uncensored version!
>>
>>341172256
The only thing stopping me from learning it is pure laziness.
>>
>>341171806
Every time you find a word you don't know, use a dictionary and try to memorize the word and its meaning. It's slow but it works
>>
>>341171806
look up any word you dont know and write it down. then like a week later go back to reread them from your notebook. alternatively put them into some kind of flash card program and mess around with that for a few weeks each. i did this for manga. i seperated everything by chapter but i guess you could do it by volume too but youll be rereading the same thing over and over again
>>
>>341172698
>>341173419
It may be slow but I suppose will be worth it in the end to actually learn something. The only thing I worry about is when there is kanji, which I know none at all, how do I even look it up, although I'm sure it won't be too difficult, it will just take a while
>>
>>341165135
3 months if you tunnel it, 6 months comfortably.
>>
>>341165135
There's nothing worth reading in this kusoge.
>>
>>341175408
>Amagami series
>Kusoge
Fuck off
>>
>>341175115
Well it is the summer now so I can put more time and effort into learning
>>341175408
Yea sure maybe not, but I just used it to grab attention mainly, I will want to play other games too you know?
>>
>>341174457
if you have the data, google translate ios app has amazing recognition as long as youre able to vaguely draw the kanji. there are other apps like midori that i use for offline but its really particular about stroke order, but it also has a multi-radical search. another good program is actually the ds game kanji sono mama rakubiki jiten. it has pretty good recognition
>>
>>341176273
I actually have unlimited data for my phone so that shouldn't be a problem. Hmm, well I know some kanji is simpler than others, and the more complicated ones are the ones I worry about. But I did not know you can try to draw it and google translate will recognize it. So I can just get the google translate app and that will work? I know it won't be a perfect translation tool but it certainly will help!
>>
>>341177140
yea theres a swiggly in the bottom left corner. just hit that and draw whatever. it does katakana/hiragana too. seriously learn radical though. like 燃 is made of 火夕犬and whatever those 4 dahses are at the bottom
>>
>>341178412
I just downloaded it and gave it a shot with some more basic kanji I know and it wasn't as bad as I thought, thanks! You're right, that looks really complicated, but when you break it down like that, it doesn't look so bad
>>
>>341179445
youre welcome. good luck faggot
>>
>>341166521
>Grammar's actually pretty straightforward

Until you actually start reading the language.

OP, as someone who's been studying the language for 7 years, don't waste your time. You're not going to make it very far if your motivation is being able to play a few video games. Very few people get to the level where they can actually enjoy consuming media in Japanese.
>>
>>341180554
Please stop crushing my dreams
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.