[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For those who played it blind, before the hype/all the shitposting,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 19
File: AsgoreFight.gif (274 KB, 435x249) Image search: [Google]
AsgoreFight.gif
274 KB, 435x249
For those who played it blind, before the hype/all the shitposting, what was your honest opinion of Undertale?
>>
>>341019559

Pretty good, not amazing.

Solid 6/10 on the non-journalist scale
>>
>>341019559
You cannot discuss this game here anymore.

Because it's popular, and because muh fanbase.

Give up, and try to talk about it elsewhere. Here it will never happen again because /v/ shat a big one in its bed, and now you decided to lie in it.
>>
I liked it so much I played it twice in one sitting.
>>
>>341019559
I thought that it was pretty great. Few games make me finish them in one sitting, even short ones.
>>
It was hype as fuck and I still rewatch the true ending sometimes
>>
>>341019559
Decent game.
>>
I still get emotional hearing the hopes and dreams music even after the "just do it" edit. Just a great finale with amazing music.
>>
>>341019559
I really liked it. I felt that author really loved doing this game and it shows.
Fanbase is pure cancer though.
>>
>>341019559
I didn't really know much about it then a friend gifted it to me on Steam. I enjoyed it and ended up buying the soundtrack.
I generally don't pay much attention to the fandom of things I enjoy so it didn't ruin it for me.
>>
>>341020097
>Fanbase is pure cancer though.

It's in a fanbase's nature to be pure cancer, though. The only way to not be a part of that is to not get too obsessive.
>>
>>341019559
Decent enough soundtrack was hardcore chiptune garbage doe
>>
alright story, but anything about the game plummets if you get spoiled beforehand. I still think sans is an idiot
>>
I played the demo when it was first announced and expected something decent, I felt like the world that the demo allured was very different from the final game, I can't put my finger on it exactly but the game past ruins felt so goofy and less coherent. I really can't describe how I feel, but overall I liked it even if I was expecting something a bit different. It was a pleasant experience.
>>
>>341019559
Wasted potential. Mercy system is entirely useless as in i basically forces you to play as Hitler or as a pacifist, may as well just asked once at the beginning if I wanted to spare people. Neutral ending is just a setup to the other two.
It is also easy as fuck with the only actually challenging boss being Sans in the entire game.
>>
The only thing turning me off it for some time was /v/ bitching about it.
Didn't personally play through genocide because I wanted to do it on my first route so I killed everyone on the neutral route but didn't farm the enemies till they stopped spawning, getting that without a guide is pretty obscure.
Aside from that ASGORE was a great fight with good music, Flowey was spoiled by /v/ but I didn't know the slightest thing about the pacifist route which made that pretty good.

The game could've been a bit longer but asides from that preddy gud.
>>
Fuck off with this same thread you post everyday, and the retards who respond to it seriously everyday.
>>
>>341019559
it was a nice little game, entertaining for 2 or 3 playthroughs but nothing more
>>
>>
>>341020389
Neutral was, in my opinion, probably the best ending ironically enough.
>>
I didn't enjoy it much after the part where the demo ends. Some of the boss fights were still enjoyable but everything else kind of sucked. I don't understand how people were able to replay it over and over, there isn't enough new content to do that and everything that could have been discovered was spoiled so shortly after release.
>>
Great music, smart but not that funny. Some parts were too long. Went pacifist but I'll never imagine doing another run to see the lore. I've finished it so it must have been a good game. 7/10
>>
>>341019559
Pretty good, but like all hipster rpg the game is ingenious but really short, easy and ugly.
But it was really good, it deserve a 7/10 if you don't really like the characters, otherwise it's a 8/10
>>
>>341019559
It was ok
>>
95% of atmosphere/emotion for me is audio; games with fantastic, aesthetinc defining soundtracks always win me over. I've replayed Bastion a dozen times just because of the soundtrack

I've never played a game that uses lietmotifs as efectivly as Undertale, and it became one of my favorite games as a result. It manages to make you feel nostalgic and sentimental over moments/characters with it's audio alone, despite being a measly 7 hour game

>The mood shift in the Papyrus fight when Bonetrousle starts playing
>Toriel's theme mixed into Asgore's fight (Along with the pie easter egg)
>The corrupted Snowy theme when fighting that one Almagamate
>Hearing traces of the Ruin's theme in, like, half the soundtrack
>Hopes and Dreams in general

I couldn't put the game down
>>
Meh in all regards, mostly cringeworthy writing.
>>
>>341019559
Thought it was going to be a horror game until the dog armor enemy, pleasantly surprised 7/10
>>
>>341019559
6/10
It was alright, felt rather shallow and rushed in some areas but that is somewhat made up in the boss battles.
>>
It was pretty good. I personally think that the core was too long and was more annoying than entertaining

7/10
>>
>>341019559
the music is great
>>
Solid and very unique take on the mechanics that inspired it. Music is very good, and the story is nothing special but entertaining enough. I'll probably play it again someday.
>>
It was a nice little short game.

I thought the "best" ending was fucking retarded.

Renders that entire spiel Flowey gives you at the start of the game, about the possibility of having no choice but to fight, void.

One could say that he was just wrong but the neutral ending final fight is so much better than either of the other ends, almost bizarrely so, because there's no choice but to fight and win or to die.

There's no convincing Asgore not to fight you, even if he's one of the least willing person to fight you in the whole game. It's a classic example of a tragic antagonist, and there's actual weight behind having to defeat him, especially if your playthrough was like my first one where I didn't backtrack when I was right at the end section to do the True Lab, but had done pacifist up to that point.

Then True Pacifist just shits on that potential with a dumb anime ending.
>>
File: file.png (26 KB, 266x95) Image search: [Google]
file.png
26 KB, 266x95
>>341019559
Before you fags got ahold of it and went insane a friend recommended it to me and I played about half way through then bought it and lost all interest.

I haven't played it since.

It was fun but the gameplay took a back seat so I had a very limited attention span. The story was good but it wasn't good enough to get me through pretty unfulfilling gameplay.
>>
File: header.jpg (98 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
98 KB, 460x215
Inferior to this
>>
Tried for half an hour, after an anon giving me kindly the mega link. Pretty meh, can't see the appeal, story seems shallow.
>>
>>341019745
pretty much.

It was good.
worth the money but not worth the hype it got afterwards.
>>
>>341021010
>42 minutes
>Half way through

I highly doubt you got past the first skeleton boss
>>
I loved it, the whole ending with flowey was fucking amazing. Great music, nice story. The threads about the game were great too, unfortunately when other sites latched onto the game /v/ decided that it's time to become the contrarian and the threads were nuked into high orbit and now discussion about the game is dead. Still, it was a fun ride.
>>
It was ok.
Stopped after 4h because I thought it trying to be too clever for its own good. Also, it started to get boring.
>>
>>341021138
read the fucking post it was one sentence

I played half way through then bought it and lost all interest.
>>
File: dude.jpg (312 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
dude.jpg
312 KB, 1200x800
A bland 6/10

Positives:
>good music
>good combat system
>fun character designs
>fun bosses and boss fights
>admittedly some fun humor and moments

Negatives:
>short
>choice system is garbage
>multiple endings are pointless
>story is mostly shit
>some bosses are utterly pointless (spider?)
>too many "artsy" moments
>breaking the 4th wall is really stupid and obnoxious imo

I honestly don't get why it garnered so much hype later. I don't get how people were that into this game. I have no interest in ever revisiting it
>>
It's sorta like a rookie magician who found a really cool new trick
you go see his show and the first time you're just blown away.
Then you go and see him a few more times and you still think it's pretty damn cool the shit he manages to pull.
Then a few weeks go by, the act starts to lose its luster. You notice +things you didn't before, figure out how things actually work, and realize that it's really not as amazing as you first thought.

Basically, it's pretty good. Definitely worth ten bucks. It's refreshing and unique but you won't really get much more enjoyment out of it after you play a few runs and sorta reverse engineer how everything works in your head.

At least the music kicks ass.
>>
>>341021232

Whoops
>>
>>341019559
Cutesy, quirky indiegame. Really simplistic, kinda charming.

Decent music, visuals were ass, gameplay was okay.
>>
I thought it was genuinely clever, though I'm easily amused

The whole process of getting the shed key from Sans at the end of the game had me both impressed and in tears laughing. And his ever changing dialog before/during his fight made constantly losing fell like not so much of a chore
>>
File: 1448108538755.gif (311 KB, 450x349) Image search: [Google]
1448108538755.gif
311 KB, 450x349
Had fun with it all three times I played it and managed to share some revelations and theories with /v/ in those precious few coherent threads before it exploded.
Very memorable game and I'm glad it exists. Music is GOAT too.
>>
>>341019559
It was pretty darn good.
But versing Omega Flowey and then going on to getting the true pacifist ending made me very giddy and my emotions got the better of me, I went straight onto /v/ after the credits and made a thread that's just me writing walls of text gushing about the game, I gave the fanbase a really bad name in that thread, this was before Undertale completely blew up and got the fanbase it has now.
I'm very happy I got to experience the game blind, I feel like if I watched a playthrough first I would have missed out on this great experience.
I was a little turned off by sans at the beginning because honestly I just expected the game to be about you, goatmom and flowey after playing the demo but he slowly grew on me overtime but he's not THAT great of a character, I don't know what everyone shits their pants over.

>We'll never have UT demo threads and release week threads ever again
feels bad man
>>
>>341021007
I just remembered that Asgore wasn't actually the final fight, Omega Flowey was.

I guess fighting Asgore felt much more significant considering the whole game built up to him while Flowey turned into a photoshop conglomerate out of nowhere.

That fight was fun but not compelling storywise, but it makes up for it at the end I guess by giving you a choice whether or not to destroy something that is a definite threat to fucking everything or let it live out of some feeling of principle.
>>
Did the neutral and pacifist route in one sitting on LSD and genocide months later on amphetamine
It was a nice, funny, heartwarming experience.
genocide was something else
>>
>>341019559
6/10
thematic elements were enjoyable until tumblr hype (or whatever the fuck, sjw audience eye was focused on it)
it was a new interactive bullet hell experience, worth playing once, or to some people, twice.

I just don't want to talk about it anymore, it's old news and the people who shill it endlessly are cancer.
>>
I'd give it a solid 7.5 or 8/10. It was nothing extremely special, but it did most things well enough and felt like a very genuine little game, for whatever that's worth.
>>
>>341020264
I like Sans, he's relatable and interesting.
Problem is, he's TOO relatable to 99% of the fanbase.
>OMG he's secretly super depressed just like MEEEEEE
>>
>>341019559
Nothing great. Narration was annoying for most part. Puns were horrible. I didn't like a single character.
Scientist should've died.
Goat mom was overpossesive bitch.
Sans was kinda cool, but again, puns were fucking horrible.
Combat was nothing noteworthy. Decent, taht's about it.
Backgrounds were kubo tier. Graphic were pretty bad in general.
It was nice, that your decisions actually mattered, but narration and fanbase think only pure pacifist is the only right way to play it.
Lv/LOVE reveal was nice, but expected something along such lines.

I'd give it 4/10, maybe 5/10 if you like puns and breaking 4th wall.
>>
>>341021580
>secretly super depressed

I mean I guess apathy is a symptom of depression but he didn't seem unhappy at all
>>
I personally liked the humour but then again I get a chuckle out of idiocy, soundtrack was 10/10. Art and gameplay was just average.

I wanna say 7/10 or 8/10. Its a short game but it didn't really do anything wrong to me

3/10 if we're taking fanbases into account though
>>
I liked it. Got True Pacifist.

Can't say I liked it enough to give it a second go, but I liked it.
>>
I enjoyed it. Wasn't the best thing ever but I had a great time.
>>
I thought it was great. It felt like a breath of fresh air however I couldn't get myself to fully defend it due to how poorly the 4th wall break is done. I also disliked how conventional the game's themes are
>>
Good game. Glad I played it. Never will again.
>>
>>341019559
Played the pacifist route first! The final flowey-fight almost gave me a heart-attack!
>>9/10, would sacrifice my carthartic systems again!
>>
>>341019559

I went in fully blind pacifist, and loved every minute of it. I'm don't watch anime, I'm not a furry or fishlover. I didn't play Earthbound, but only a few JRPGs in my lifetime. The characters worked very well together, the story was videogamey and cute and I cried like a little bitch multiple times during my playthrough.
>>
Good, but unbelievably overrated.

Sans and Undyne the Undying fights were the only challenging ones. Asgore and Muffet had good mechanics in their fights.

Only thing worthy of its praise is the soundtrack.
>>
File: 1412259185288.jpg (22 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1412259185288.jpg
22 KB, 480x480
>>341021007
>All of these people in the fanbase saying Asriel is their favorite character and how much they cried during the final sequence when you SAVE him.
I don't fucking understand it, Asriel is literally the worst main character in the game. I understand the purpose for him existing, it gives Flowey an origin backstory, but he just comes out of nowhere, fucks your friends up, and then you're supposed to just de facto give him sympathy when he starts crying all over your text box. He's flat as cardboard and has literally no character development arc at all. He goes from soulless demon to a whimpering innocent child within like five minutes. Why can't I kill the motherfucker like I was able to kill Flowey at the end of a neutral run? Oh, because I'm locked into the Pacifist ending. Same reason you can't kill Alphys.
The Pacifist ending was just too neatly tied up with a ribbon for it to feel fulfilling at all. It shits all over the concept that sometimes there's just some people that can't be reasoned with. It's only purpose is to give pacifist runners a cookie for their effort.
>>
I complete game in 40 minutes by walking to the right of the screen. It would've been less but someone had to tell me you had to run from undyne
>>
File: tumblr_o1qi7kQqx31tneq7do2_540.png (247 KB, 540x652) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1qi7kQqx31tneq7do2_540.png
247 KB, 540x652
It had some good characters
>>
>>341021926

He actually was. In the true end scenario where you have to save him, you'll notice his text is all wobbly, which only happens when characters cry. It's one of the few instances where anyone does in that game.
>>
Fights were fun, didn't get to fight Sans. Asgore was an absolute baller fight, was an idiot and didn't realise the whole Flowey invincibility thing so it felt like I clutched. I enjoyed it, even more so going back and doing Pacifist.
>>
Probably an 8-9/10, I really enjoyed it all things considered.except for the flowey thing at the end of a neutral run I mean I get it he's this big omnipresent big bad but he just goes noep xD and does the thing baka toby
>>
Felt like tumblr in 8bit, dropped it after the meme skeleton showed up.
>>
>>341019559
It was a pretty great experience going completely blind. I had no idea there were other paths to the game and that you can save things of your own will.

I basically started the game with the mindset like it was a normal rpg. Just killed stuff to level, ended up killing the frog that tells you about sparing before it could tell me. Thought Toriel was some fucked up monster with a bunch of dead children in her basement so I didn't take anything she said seriously and was waiting for that plot twist until I actually got to the fight and was a bit surprised that she genuinely cared for my safety. And me, not knowing about sparing, ended up killing her and thinking it was the way it's suppose to go. Felt a bit down but I wasn't depressed or anything, just surprised how the game wasn't going the way I thought it was going. So I figured it'll just be one of those games where you keep progressing and it makes you feel bad about all the stuff you do. Like a self-aware jrpg. And it was. There was lots of moments that gave me a chuckle, made me surprised, and kept me immersed. Though my experience greatly differs from most unfortunately. I ended up accidentally sparing papyrus by finding out that you should just not do anything and let him capture you and just rolled with it. The Undyne part where she called out all the things I did to get that far was a nice twist and made me realize what exactly I was doing. And when I killed her, that call from papyrus made me feel bad (I thought it was intentional).
>>
>>341021926
A lot of his genocide dialogue sorta gives credence to his comical nature being a front. There's also the fact that, when he's absorbed by Asriel in the pacifist route, he loses his normal "hurhurhur" talking noise and doesn't speak in Comic Sans.

It's most likely playing on the common pattern of real life comedians suffering from crippling depression behind the scenes, using their comedy to cope with it.
>>
>>341019559
I didn't like it.
>>
>>341019559
It's better than the sum of its parts. The graphics are shit, it's very short for an RPG and the setting is a big mish-mash of stuff. That being said the music is excellent, the fourth wall breaking, little moments like Asgore breaking the mercy button, the blue attack, the final boss etc. It's an 8/10 game. The final sections of the game made up for most of the issues. Bits of it were genuinely pretty heartwarming.

A shame it can't be discussed without counter-fans, more autistic than its disgustingly autistic fanbase, ruining things.
>>
>>341022753
(Cont.)
Alphys made me feel worse for killing undyne too. But even after finding out about sparing, I decided to keep moving forward and keep killing. When Sans was talking about the lady from behind the door, it made me feel like shit (again) for killing her. The mettaton parts were meh, I didn't care about him but again, ended up feeling bad when alphys saw what I did to him. And Asgore, when I got to him I felt like we were both there to finish a job we didn't want to do, but something we had to do. The fight held meaning to it. And when Flowey showed up and did all the game crashing stuff, and looked extremely overpowered, I thought it was my punishment for all the sins I committed, and that was the "bad end". When I found out I could actually kill him and finished him off, I kept doing the same thing I did the entire run and killed him. And then I got that neutral ending. The one where it's only pap and sans alive. I've looked through all of the neutral endings but none of them made me feel worse than the first one I got. So all in all, I felt pretty shitty after finishing my first run. But it was that feeling that pushed me to do the pacifist run and sought to make everything right. And that's what made my pacifist run so good. There was surprisingly so much more to the game and I loved every second of it. It kinda sucks there's no one to talk to that experienced the game exactly like I did. I felt like my experience was near perfect. But I'm sure other people that enjoyed the game probably think that too.
>>
>>341022753
>it's a pretty great expierience because i failed to comply with the idea of the game originally
yeah ok
>>
>>341021438
Omega Flowey wasn't the final boss, it was Asriel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZRP7nQkfrM
>>
>>341019559
Cute but boring start
Midgame was ok
Core was fucking annoying and I hate Alphys
Ending was ok
True ending was nice if corny

I still hate Alphys.
>>
Great game with a satisfying ending, but replaying it made me realize that each route can only be played once and not be boring. The pacifist fight with asriel was pretty gay, especially the part where he cries and shoots a laser at you while screaming "LET ME WIN", which always seemed silly to me. Goat hug at the end was nice though. Genocide route is garbage except for the undyne and sans fights, both of which don't really require you to git gud since the attack patterns are the same everytime. The sans fight was still one the most fun bosses that I've fought though, up with ornate and and smough in dork souls
>>
>letting trendy shitposters on /v/ affect your opinion or experience
>letting autistic tumblrists affect your opinion or experience
Why?

I played it last month and it was great.
>>
>>341019559
during the hype: 6/10
after: 5/10

It was good but OFF was better and free
>>
I liked it a lot, I was surprised with how much they could do with what seemed like a very simple gameplay mechanic. The enemy encounters felt like I was playing through a webcomic. There were a lot of small thigns I like such as all the shopkeepers being taken aback when you want to sell something and then it finally paying off when you sell stuff to Temmy because she's an idiot.
>>
>>341022896
Toby himself said the best way to play Undertale is to go in completely blind. The experience of discovering the game's spare mechanic instead of being told about it before starting is one of my favorite parts of the game.
>>
>>341022907
No.

When I refer to "final boss," it's in reference to what boss you fight before you basically replay the game.

If I had chosen to do Genocide mode last, Sans would have been the last boss if you consider every run to just be part of one big playthrough. Thus there are three bosses that qualify as final bosses.
>>
>>341023163
yeah ok

retard
>>
>>341023195
Ah, true. But if you want to leave the game contented and happy then you'll want to finish on Pacifist and never even touch genocide.
>>
I like it a whole lot. I really like non-lethal options for some reason, and I also like dialogue heavy games and it even had a bunch of my favorite stupid tropes.
>>
>>341019559
Yeah, I'm kinda sad. I played it almost blind, but people told me to try and not kill everyone - something I'd do otherwise. And even telling someone that is kinda a spoiler, looking at what the game is all about.

As for the game itself - I got what it wanted to do, but it wasn't amazing. It was just okay-ish. There's tons of games better than this, even FNAF was better as a game.
>>
>>341021057
too depressing to catch on
seriously, I felt awful finishing that
>>
>>341022896

Friend I think you're the one who failed to even understand the idea of the game. You're supposed to go in blind and mindlessly kill them like its an RPG then realize that shit, the monsters are people too. If you knew you were supposed to go in and spare everything for the "Good' end then you just went in wrong
>>
Here's how to fix the game:

Add in a small segment at the end of True Lab where you have the option to kill Alphys. There doesn't even have to be an entire battle sequence. She could be depressed enough at that point where you just one-shot her. Throw in an extra neutral ending that takes that into account.

Change the final Asriel fight so that you are able to actually Fight him somehow and potentially kill him. The ending wouldn't even need to be changed much since nobody even remembers getting absorbed by Flowey.

Look, I just made Undertale about 15% better.
>>
>>341019559
liked the music but it just felt this whole
" meh " after, didn't ever want to play it again .

Omega Flowey was annoying as fuck though, stop crashing my fucking game its aggravating to have to turn it back on.
>>
>>341023543
but toriel tells you that you can fight by talking, after that point why would you first try to kill anything?
>>
>>341022464
buh buh goatbro cute xDxD
>>
>>341019559
Loved it.
Still do.
>>
>>341023727
When I first played the demo to the game and I got to that point, my instinct wasn't "Never kill anything ever," it was "Kill only things that seem to actually want to harm me."

I think I killed a couple Migosps since I couldn't figure out the mechanic of sparing everything else before sparing it, and it was the most visibly aggressive monster in the area.

A lot of people would probably end up killing Toriel too, not realizing that you can actually spare her, since one of the Froggits says you can only spare a monster if its name is yellow.
>>
It's a good game, 7/10. the soundtrack is a 10/10
>>
>>341019559
Meh the music was the strongest part of the game.

It's a very lite rpg. Maybe 10 hours long. No two characters were identical outside of like random encounters. You had a peace and genocide route of gameplay.

If I had to I would give it an uhhhhh out of meh.
>>
>>341019559
Loved it. I got promised a 2-3 hour long game that would be a little quirky and got a lot more.
>>
File: 1451958752878.jpg (194 KB, 1259x1307) Image search: [Google]
1451958752878.jpg
194 KB, 1259x1307
>>341019559
I thought it was amazing for its length, I enjoyed it thoroughly. My favorite game of 2015.

Still planning to play it all again after the summer term.
>>
>>341021057
Lisa is extremely unpleasant to play. Which is the point, I guess, but it doesn't get a free pass for being shit on purpose. Also I'm just plain sick of stories about le dark nature of man and post-apocalyptic shit.
>>
>>341021057
This was pretty great. I don't understand all the depressing stuff people are saying it was very clear about the end of world oppressiveness of a end of world scenario.

If anything this game was funnier and more charming with better music. im >>341024078
btw
>>
>>341023727
Because she seemed way too suspicious to have anything she says sound credible. When a suspicious monster wants me to do something, generally I do the opposite to see the reaction. By the time I got to the Toriel fight, I pretty much dismissed the Talk option as some kind of useless extra dialogue button.
>>
>>341019559

I liked it. the gameplay was serviceable while not really fun, but the story was enjoyable enough that I actually finished it, which is rare for me with games where I don't like the gameplay.
>>
>>341024009
makes sense. I think I lucked out being ass at dodging, so when toriel started missing on purpose I felt there was something else to do.
also I teared up way too many times in this game, the purposeful missing being one of them.
>>
>>341024078
>It's a very lite rpg.
I kind of love that about it, it's like all of the worthwhile parts of a JRPG with the fat trimmed off.
>>
>>341019559
Pretty good 7/10 game. The game isn't that memorable to me, though the music stuck with me.
>>
>>341019559
Was really bored and stopped playing after 2 hours.
>>
>>341024231
Even before the end of the world, just the beginning of the game is depressing what comes after makes it worse.
>>
>>341019559
decent game
+the combat is fun
+the music is good
-its really short
-the whole sparing animals thing isn't obvious

and the whole good end with the flowey boss and dead goat boy thing was retarded and out of place.
the "lesbians" brought the game down imo, especially the kiss scene
>>
>>341021057
Agreed tbphwyf

Was not prepared for the things it made me feel
>>
>>341024351
>it's like all of the worthwhile parts of a JRPG with the fat trimmed off.

This. Fucking so much this. I absolutely hate time-wasting content, stuff that are there purely to bloat a game. Sidequests, grinding, and sometimes even traveling (like backtracking). Most of that stuff is unmemorable and doesn't add to the experience other than to make you think you got your money's worth with how much time it takes to beat the game. That's why I'll never dismiss a game for being short.
>>
>>341019559
People are going to end up saying I'm shitposting because we can't have different opinions, but I think it's shit. A Mother clone, got WAY too much hype and fame because of Tumblr loving it.
>>
>>341019559

it was pretty good. i wish it was longer, so both big endings had some more weight because we knew the characters more.

i also wish that there were more than minor differences between doing a neutral playthrough and doing a good end playthrough after.

my biggest complaint is story related. the good end's secret character reveal is too convenient. it shows off rules never stated in the story before and features a pretty fucking big coincidence, all at the very end. even worse is the secret character reveal for the bad end. I can guess why he did it but he couldve accomplished a message to the player in a much better way. chara is a huge fucking asspull and another pretty fucking big convenience.
>>
>>341019559
As I've always said, it's a good game.
It's worth the money.
It has it's share of problems, but it's soundtrack is really good.

It's one of those games that would have been nicer not to have gotten a huge fanbase. It certainly didn't deserve the 10/10 perfect or almost perfect scores it got everywhere.

The whole "power of friendship!" thing killed it for me at the end. And that moment where it copied Pokey's speech from Earthbound saying that no one can hear you was awkward to me at least - I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be a really close reference or it was just straight out copying it.

But yeah, it's pretty good.
>>
>>341024673
>-the whole sparing animals thing isn't obvious
Toriel and the Froggits more or less outright tell you that you never need to kill and there's another way.

Despite that I do think it could've been more obvious in some cases, I had no idea how to spare Toriel so I figured since ACT didn't work I had to get her HP low enough to spare. It didn't work. I immediately restarted and found out the real way after some trial and error, Flowey's 4th wall breaking insults after got me really interested in the game. Other people however apparently thought you were supposed to kill Toriel and that's a pretty big problem.
>>
>>341019559
Solid game, felt it leaned on the fourth wall way too hard at the end. Asgore breaking the Mercy button was a good OH SHIT IT'S FUCKIN' REAL moment, Flowey crashing your game was just annoying and broke the flow of the game when he could have just reset the fight instead, and Happy Gote of Deviantart, while a mildly emotional finale with great music, was one of the least interesting bosses in the whole damn game.
>>
>>341024673
>the "lesbians" brought the game down imo, especially the kiss scene

>Talking shit about best OTP
I hope a fish throws you into the trash
>>
File: 1445658429806.gif (415 KB, 550x400) Image search: [Google]
1445658429806.gif
415 KB, 550x400
>>341024673
Are you triggered?
>>
>>341023071
Your game is not that good if you have to piggiback on other people's threads like that, you pathetic swine.
>>
>>341024673
>the "lesbians" brought the game down imo, especially the kiss scene
Agreed. I found their relationship someowhat, contrived I guess. On top of I didn't give a single fuck about it and the "date" made me cringe.
>>
>>341019745
This. I give it an 7/10 though.
>>
>>341025612
Not him but OFF is pretty popular among indie game fans and is also Mother inspired, not anyone's fault that you don't know it.
>>
>>341025536
It was unnecessarily gay and took away from the experience. Take that love wins bullshit somewhere else, nobody wants that to be a focal point when playing vidya
>>
>>341024673
To be honest I thought Alphys was a guy and the whole thing was a mere typo
>>
>>341025612
Off is superior in almost every way, the games aren't even comparable
>>
File: 1445326144986.png (280 KB, 1000x600) Image search: [Google]
1445326144986.png
280 KB, 1000x600
>>341019559
I thought Undertale was pretty good. It had some genuinely emotional parts, particularly in the beginning with Toriel. However, I found much of the humour to be grating and typical of what you'd find in places like Tumblr in that it was mostly cheap references wrapped in an abundance of pastels. Alphys in particular was the absolute fucking worst, although the other characters all had their irritating qualities. Overall, it was an enjoyable experience.

It was a good game for what it was, but nothing more.
>>
Great music.
Cool and innovative combat system (but disappointing underutilized/unchallenging).

Dreadful pixelart, of the absolute worst and lazy variety.
Unfunny tumblr-tier "humor".
Shitty le wacky XDXDXD characters.
Constant 4th wall breaks in the story.

Overall:
fuck this overrated garbage
>>
>>341025681
>contrived
I didn't see it as that but I did get the hints that they liked each other on the neutral part of the route(Guessing Undyne in the Mettaton quiz and trying to get to Undyne's room in her house.) so it felt pretty natural.
>>
File: 3.png (3 KB, 156x166) Image search: [Google]
3.png
3 KB, 156x166
All these faggots keep saying "genuinely emotional at times" and how they "teared up" at certain parts but I didn't feel shit.
>>
>>341025191
>Other people however apparently thought you were supposed to kill Toriel and that's a pretty big problem.

Nah. The papyrus+sans neutral ending is my favorite (and most depressing) one from the neutrals, so I'm glad I got ti first. No regrets playing the game the way I did for the first time and would do it again if I could.
>>
>>341019559
Good until the last 3rd and then all final bosses were shit except sans and all endings also sucked.
>>
>>341021057
I remember when I first heard about it, I thought it was some kind of wierd surreal existential horror rpg, where your arms where party members or something.
I really liked LISA, but I still wish it was more like what I thought it would be like.
>>
>>341025760
>It was unnecessarily gay
They do say familiarity breeds contempt, and you might be the biggest faggot I've ever met.
>>
>>341026093
Asgore was fucking awesome though.
>>
>>341019559
pretty much 10/10
>>
>>341019559
pretty solid game. Long enough without overstaying its welcome which kinda made you want more. Music's pretty great.
>>
I liked it, i cant give it a score because its very different of most games i played and because i dont play alot of RPGs, that said i fucking hated alphys and had to do the Genocide ending and then reset to the Pacifist just to make sure she's dead
>>
I didn't go into it COMPLETELY blind--I knew about sans, and I knew the ruins portion

but goddamn does that game ooze charm.
that finale scared the crap out of me though neutral

still, the fanbase is cancer.
>>
It had the most exciting moments I've ever seen in a video game in the past ten years.
>>
>>341019559
Came across it on Steam, added it to my wishlist, then some guy gave it to me.
Never heard any mention of it on 4chan before I played it!

While it's a mediocre game if you measure it by the same stick as any other, it's a very unique experience and it works in a way perfectly streamlined for one-time fun.

Only thing that bugs me is that the game does dumb stuff to confuse Pacifist/Genocide endings.
>Sparing Toriel requires that you repeatedly use "SPARE" which the player learns is often the way to go with later bosses, but up until Toriel sparing enemies was like an (extremely easy) mini puzzle
>Sparing Asgore is completely different, I spent ages trying to figure out the Pacifist approach to Asgore until I found out he's the one enemy in the game where you're supposed to "kill" him to spare him
>Genocide route has dumb shit like not dealing full damage to Mettaton NEO resulting in breaking out of the Geno run
>>
File: 1357233902252.jpg (607 KB, 2262x2050) Image search: [Google]
1357233902252.jpg
607 KB, 2262x2050
Understale is the epitome of "ungames":
Interactive experiences which do not challenge you as a player. Loved by faggots who don't actually enjoy video games, but insist on "playing" the latest indie walking simulator or AAA cutscene extravaganza. Always praised, but never for their gameplay (you know, the most important part of a GAME?).
Undershit is the ultimate test to distinguish genuine gamers from retarded kotaku posers who really only want to sit down and watch a movie.
>>
>>341026680
How can it be exciting if its gameplay is absolute shit and laughably easy?
>>
>>341019559
Loved it and kept me hooked for months (while avoiding all furry/tumblr crap of course). I got a little burnt out of it recently though and can say without question the game is very overrated. It's very good but in no way is it the best game of all time.
>>
>>341019559
Bought it, definitely worth the money. Wouldn't call it the most amazing game of all time though. The music was very good. Game itself was fun, played through once sparing it all, then fixing up the one thing you can't do in your first "pacifist" run, then tried Genocide for shits and giggles but I couldn't git gud and beat Sans. I'd recommend it to others as a fun little game to play sometime.
>>
>>341026181
>They do say familiarity breeds contempt

Speaks volumes for the sheer amount if autism Undershit fans have in common to have 'deep' emotional ties with 8-bit lezbo shit

Stay mad Underling.
>>
>>341026809
Tell us what videogames you play, pham
>>
>>341026809
why graphic card in video home system tape
>>
>>341027182
>but I couldn't git gud and beat Sans
The type of person who enjoys Undertale, everyone.
>>
File: polywomple.gif (150 KB, 593x1100) Image search: [Google]
polywomple.gif
150 KB, 593x1100
Great characters.
>>
>>341027226
I'm enjoying the fact that you don't know the definition of the words in the post you're replying to so much.
>>
File: 1451608371720.png (70 KB, 968x704) Image search: [Google]
1451608371720.png
70 KB, 968x704
Compulsory/Threadly "MUSIC'S GOOD, FANBASE A SHIT" posts aside. I had zero expectations, so I kinda hold it a higher regard then most others. I wouldn't go around claiming it to be better than it actually is though. People spouting "GOTY" in every thread for half a year now doesn't really mean shit since it's a heavily subjective game. But when nothing but Undertale "some indie game made by one guy" in it's early days, it definitely earned the praise it received upon release.
>>
>>341019559
I thought it was pretty cool. I was not expecting the battles to play out that way. I thought it was going to be a standard RPG.

I don't get why people gt their panties bunched over this game.
>>
>>341027275
I know this is bait but I'll bite: never actually put any good time into it, kind of just went to play either Space Station 13 or Dwarf Fortress afterwards. Not the type of guy who puts a ton of time into something that's practically muscle memory/insane reaction times.
>>
>>341026809
I had to beat Papyrus for someone about a week ago, because they couldn't beat him in 3 tries with 46 health (though admittedly no healing, attack, or defence items).
>>
>>341024673
can it beat gw2 dykefest i wonder
>>
>>341019559
it was alright. wouldn't give it any awards though
>>
>>341019559
One of the few games that gave me an emotional high.
>>
Pretty much 7/10, liked the music a LOT and enjoyed a lot of the references to old SNES titles (FFVI Opera Scene etc.). Neutral route final boss was a shock to me but after winning it I didn't have any interest in playing the game again.

I killed Flowey and started a new game, only to find out that he isn't actually killed there. After this I haven't touched the game

I still listen to the soundtrack occasionally.
>>
>>341026809
>Interactive experiences which do not challenge you as a player.

What is AAA for 500
>>
>>341027492
it's another example of the content being mediocre, but the fanbase being insufferable

the fans cared more about people knowing they played the game, than actually just playing the fucking game
>>
>>341020591
How so Anon?
>>
>>341019559
Pretty Nice
>>
File: 1459783893075.png (985 KB, 1231x1070) Image search: [Google]
1459783893075.png
985 KB, 1231x1070
>>341019559
It's okay but I'll forever hate Alphys with a passion, Hotland is only stretched out because of the barrage of "LOL I'M AWKWARD" texts you get spammed with, her character is just outright cringeworthy and I'm still marginally miffed the best ending forces you to be a supportive friend to her as if it expects you to like her.

Bonus points for how you don't even get to kill her in the genocide ending.

Also fuck Asriel, saying "I'm sorry bro" doesn't fix anything you fucking asshole.
>>
File: 1464667169801.jpg (19 KB, 364x268) Image search: [Google]
1464667169801.jpg
19 KB, 364x268
I just heard it was good, no idea what it was, played it.

And yeah, it was pretty good. Fun little Mother-like game.

7.5/10 had fun
>>
>>341020758
> 100% correct
>>
File: 115585900_1280x951.jpg (52 KB, 1280x951) Image search: [Google]
115585900_1280x951.jpg
52 KB, 1280x951
>>341019559
Broken promises. In the original pitch toby made it sound like the game was going to be alot more open with your decisions.

The demo was 8/10

Full game is 6/10 with the soundtrack and boss fights being its main saving graces
>>
>>341019559
Played before the hype, blind and only listened to a few songs.
Honestly, it was a solid 10/10, absolutely amazing experience. Shame that /v/ and tumblr fucked this game over, but for a short time, the magic was there
>>
Stopped playing after I got to the robot / Michael Jackson boss thing in the Core. I was trying to do a run without killing anyone and just stopped when I realised how long it would take to beat the boss the non lethal way. Just wasn't all that fun.
>>
>>341028105
With pacifist, the hype was incredible during the last fight but even if it was purposely cheesy I still feel like it was just too much, "this isn't even my final form" into an even more ridiculous form was kinda fun but after facing Neutral ending Flowey, I just feel like that boss fight even if it was worst from a gameplay point of view was a lot more impactful. Just comes out, kills asgore, becomes this terrifying thing you cannot escape. I was pleased by that fight. And then pacifist did the exact same thing but this time he wasn't nearly as terrifying.
For genocide, I guess I just didn't like the whole "Oh it was chara all along I was inside you!" thing.
Like I said, purely my opinion, but I just feel like neutral was executed better even if pacifist was crazy hype.
>>
>>341026809
Are bullet hells and turn-based games ungames as well?
>>
File: Flowey_sees_your_post.png (23 KB, 1325x538) Image search: [Google]
Flowey_sees_your_post.png
23 KB, 1325x538
>>341019559
High 7, Low 8 for me. I played the demo back in 2013 and thought the concept was fucking great, but the game just has a few glaring issues I can't get past.
>Combat too easy
>Too much shit left open
>Toriel's character in general being really shoddily written
>Overworld sprites generally needing an improvement
>Less inconsistent artstyle in general
And the worst of them all, for me,
>RESETs barely fucking change ANYTHING interesting outside of what was in the demo
Seriously, how do you fuck up that bad? It was the whole damn point of the game, and the demo had so much interesting shit dealing with RESETs (Toriel's fight changing, that speech after her fight, the manual) that it just pains me to see how little it did past that. All you really get is one or two lines of changed Papyrus/Undyne dialog if you do their "dates" and then RESET.

Still a faurly solid game, though. Just needs a bit of work and a hard mode update, Toby you fucking hack.
Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.