[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Carmack leaves Id Software because Bethesda won't allow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: john_530_big.jpg (208 KB, 530x424) Image search: [Google]
john_530_big.jpg
208 KB, 530x424
>Carmack leaves Id Software because Bethesda won't allow Oculus ports of Doom and Wolfenstein TNO.
>All of a sudden Bethesda is having a VR port of Doom made now that they smell money.

Like pottery. How do you think Carmack feels right now?
>>
>>340975807
Should've gone to Valve and develop for Vive.
>>
>>340976153

He knew the Oculus dude and he had no control over goybook buying them.
>>
>>340975807
probably feels old and tired desu
>>
Like an overpaid code monkey

I'd still like ton think he left when they proposed XP and character leveling for Doom
>>
Zenimax has been suing Oculus. They kind of had to do something VR to prove they have a case.
>>
>>340977257
Does that have anything to do with Carmack leaving them?
>>
>>340978273
Yup. Carmack left them saying they wouldn't let him do VR. They claim he gave "their" VR IP to Oculus. He says no, Oculus just got new stuff on made on his own time.
>>
File: 1464403141180.jpg (21 KB, 228x171) Image search: [Google]
1464403141180.jpg
21 KB, 228x171
>Ports Doom and Fallout 4 to VR
>Chooses the hacked together, uncomfortable headset and not the elegant, comfortable one.

VIVE is DOA and its taking VR down with it.0
>>
>>340979281
I have both headsets. It makes sense for them to use Vive as FPS really needs body turning vs stick turning. Oculus made a mistake by not including their hand controllers at launch and not delaying release until the controllers were ready or at least until they could actually ship the headsets.
>>
>>340975807

Carmack doesn't have a strong connection to games or IPs, even ones he's well known for.

This is pretty well known among the community. (or so i thought)

>>340976559

I read somewhere that when Doom was in development, after they had to scrap the singleplayer "COD" mode, they had a big internal meeting at Id, to try and talk about Doom and what is going wrong and how to get on track. Carmack stood up in front of the other staff and said something along the lines of "Doom is about 2 things, demons and shotguns". I'd like to think that despite Carmack leaving well before Doom was released, he was partly responsible for pointing things in the right direction.
>>
>>340975807
why is alton brown wearing those giant goggles
>>
>>340976559
>>340981068
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2014/2/4/5378476/the-real-reason-john-carmack-left-id-software
>>
what a fucking kick in the nuts
>>
I thought it was interesting they didn't mention Oculus, but then I remembered the drama between Bethesda, Carmack and Oculus.

Sucks for Carmack, now that FB is jewing the Oculus platform.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.