[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HG101
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7
File: 1465264938103.png (208 KB, 583x381) Image search: [Google]
1465264938103.png
208 KB, 583x381
Where were you when HG101 jumped the shark?
>>
fucked up if true. they were the last good place to read about games
>>
>>340975197
A single article out of hundreds ruins the site when Sam Derboo and his faggot ass writes about how EWWW ICKY eroges are in the Valis article?
>>
>>340975537

yeah it retroactively makes the whole site shit and i dont want anything to do with it anymore. can you believe that
>>
They've been shit forever

>>340975197
HAHAHAHA
>>
They've been shit for a while
>>
>>340974921
Did you ever read the Valis article? or the Fire Emblem one?
>>
>kickstarted a subgenre

if you could call lazy walking simulators a subgenre
>>
>>340974921
Go away /vr/ they're still great.
>>
File: Quality_HG101_writing.png (7 KB, 623x191) Image search: [Google]
Quality_HG101_writing.png
7 KB, 623x191
>>340975197
>>340975537
They've been pandering to the regressive left for quite a while, but they didn't went full force with it until GamerGate exploded.

>>340976642
Or the Kunio one? Or the Final Fight one? Or the Darius one? or the Ghosts 'n Goblins one? Or that one 80's heroine retrospective where they bitch about the sexism in Girl's Garden?
>>
I was under the impression they generally take guest writers, since the overall quality is all over the place anyways.
>>
Picking on indie games, very brave.
>>
>>340977925
Give me a sec to find it but there was a thread on /vr/ like a week ago where someone was talking about how much they completely rewrite their guest articles before publishing it.
>>
File: hg101.jpg (142 KB, 1878x292) Image search: [Google]
hg101.jpg
142 KB, 1878x292
>>340977925
>>340978460
https://warosu.org/vr/thread/S3257416#p3267575
>>
Why are HG101 covering Home Gone anyway? I thought they only covered old or relatively obscure game. Gone Home is rather recent and was the darling of game journos for a while.
>>
According to /vr/, they've been shit for years.
>>
Aren't they the site the got triggered super hard over Bayonetta?
>>
>>340979783
They've been covering indieshit for a while now.
>>
>>340979012

god no wonder they fucking changed it, dude is a dreadful writer
>>
>>340979910
Sam Derboo, one of the writers, has a hateboner for everything Kamiya-related.
>>
>>340979783
Owner and a fair few of the staff are retarded twitterellas.
>>
Really wish I hadn't seen this thread. I had managed to dodge all the SJWy articles and had fond memories of the site until now.
>>
>>340980457
I heard Kurt Kalata (pic related, the site's owner) banned one of the site's contributors because he called him out on his SJW double standards.
>>
File: Destroyer_of_cunts.jpg (472 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
Destroyer_of_cunts.jpg
472 KB, 768x1024
>>340981207
Forgot the actual pic.
>>
>>340980936

If you read the site regularly, like I used to, I'm surprised you didn't get hit in the face by the overpowering way they suddenly began to muscle it in everywhere.

Unless you haven't actually kept up with the site in a while, and that's why you mentioned fond memories, in which case I apologize that you had to find out this way; but maybe it's for the best.

We'll always have the good articles, at least, written by cool guys like that British punk who covered a shit ton of Final Fantasy and talked about music. Until they delete them or something, I suppose.

Why does everything just follow this same entropic pattern? It's always the same, every time, regardless of institution. They all crumble into this pile of self-loathing, regressive slime.
>>
>>340974921
I don't know, I don't remember where I was on January 9, 2012 when they posted a massive blog entry on how Dark souls is too hard and confusing.
>>
>>340975537
They make bad articles first and good articles now, I give them site hits.
They do the opposite, they can go rot

Video game journalism isn't rocket science. Get it right foo
>>
>>340981559
They bitched about Cave shooters too in one blog post.
>>
What's a good replacement?
>>
The podcast is hard to listen to when they have that Sotenga guy sound like a fucking white basement dweller
>>
>>340983087
Have you seen Kurt himself? He's not much of a looker either.
>>
>>340974921
They were always trash. Anyone who deems themselves "Hardcore" is inherently a tool.
>>
>>340984981
ur mum is a tool 4 muh dick
>>
>>340984981
They're not even hardcore enough to appreciate actual difficulty in games.
>It also has a cheat mode where you can slow down the game, play it in Japanese, make Arthur invulnerable (you will be amazed at how difficult the game is even then), or select which level to begin at. Given that the game is essentially impossible without these cheats, this is easily the best version of the game and arguably the best platformer on the console.
>>
>>340981438
That facial expression should be in a psychology textbook entry for "Nu-maleism."
>>
They drank the SJW Kool-aid. I liked them for obscure Japanese games articles but they seem to do more indieshit these days. A bit regrettable.
>>
>>340986372
He actually used the term "toxic masculinity" on the forum once and defended the shitty localization of Fire Emblem: Fates.
>>
what subgenre did it kickstart, because there were walking simulators way before that
>>
>>340974921
What sub genre? Walking simulators? What is that even a sub genre of?
Running simulators?
>>
>>340987491
Wasn't Myst a walking simulator itself?
>>
>>340975537
Happy Days was bad long before Fonzi jumped the shark
>>
>>340987593
It's a subgenre of point and click that's focused more on narrative than puzzles. Gone Home is somewhere between Virtue's Last Reward, Myst, and a kinetic novel.
>>
>>340987959
There were adventure games without puzzles 25 years ago.
>>
>>340974921
What the fuck is the subgenre?

I remember fucking myst in the 90s
>>
>>340988161
I was just pointing out the genre. He's uninformed for claiming GH invented it.
>>
>>340987656
Myst had puzzles and therefore actual gameplay.
>>
>>340987361
And TMS even worse localization as well on neofag. He's just your average numale with a cool website. Shame they decided to mold that website into their politics.
>>
File: 1245523152.gif (388 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1245523152.gif
388 KB, 320x240
>Site gets taken over by Nu Males

Why does this keep happening?
>>
>>340989159
Too much soy in their diets.
>>
>>340974921
That shit happened months ago, anon. Since you saw it on their twitter feed just now, I'm guessing you weren't really following the site around.
>>
>>340987361
Sad. He was one of my heroes growing up, his Castlevania and Contra sites were fun, informative places and the HG101 and it's forum community a great place to hang around after the downfall of the classicgaming wing of the gamespy network.
But around the later half of last decade something changed there, attitudes became more hostile and it just wasn't a fun place anymore, and the articles started to become less interesting and sloppier. Of course 4chan is quick to point towards SJW, but it wasn't just that. I think the recession had to do a lot with then and future negativity both online and in the real world, the SJW/GG nonsense just a fraction of a bigger wound we haven't fully recovered from, a social malignancy that I think stunted the growth of a lot of young adults that would have otherwise developed further and continued onward with their lives.
>>
>>340989418
I don't follow HG101 as often I used to, but I regularly visited the site and was an active member of their forums.
>>
>>340989737
People that play video games so that it takes up a good portion of their life, are hot-headed retards.
>>
>>340982961
Got a link? People who are supposed to be into obscure retro games bitching about CAVE game difficulty is downright absurd
>>
>>340990735
This. You have to balance it somehow and get interested in other hobbies. Otherwise you'll get New Games Journalism syndrome and try to bitch about social issues in what are basically glorified toys.
>>
>>340990735
As with every passion, you should take things in moderation least it consumes you.
And it's always healthy to take a break from the things that defy us once in a while to seek out new experiences.
I know this, yet I actively struggle with it, as I imagine most people here do when it comes to vidya/4chan itself
>>
>>340991610
>defy
*define.
>>
>>340990960
>>340990960
He basically says that they're not worth playing once you've credit-feed through them.
http://web.archive.org/web/20091213134421/http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2009/12/trouble-with-cave.html
>>
>>340991820
>credit-feeding
so much for "hardcore"
>>
File: Mark_(Westinghouse).jpg (65 KB, 640x654) Image search: [Google]
Mark_(Westinghouse).jpg
65 KB, 640x654
At least Mark will always be pure.

The day CGR becomes tumblrshit is the day I hang myself.
>>
>>340993710
Didn't he retire from Youtube not long ago?
>>
>>340981207
The fact he stood up for Etch-a-Sketch says it all.
>>
>>340995129
I was under the impression Sketcz was still contributing to them. What happened?
>>
>>340979012
Maybe they changed it because his writing is boring as fuck, look at how the edited paragraph says the exact same thing he tried to say without being dragging on for ages.
>>
Sucks that they even care about covering stuff like Gone Home. The site has some amazing stuff, like the YU-NO review.
>>
>>340994395
Naw man, he stopping doing CGR for a living, instead its more of a hobby, the show is now supported by patreon and instead of having a video everyday he posts one every week or so.
to be honest mark was fucking around too much and doing silly reviews ( like when he does vertrex vs xbox one or shit like that) instead of actually revieweing games.
>>
>>340996061

Gone Home is more of a game than a fucking visual novel.
>>
>>340996382
which one gets its dick sucked by the press?
>>
>>340996349
Also he is a massive shill for his shitty comic no one cares about.
>>340996382
visual novels are that, visual novels and should not be called games unless it has minigames and shit. That said, go fucking die in a fire for defending Gone Home, the game itself doesn't piss me off, what makes me mad is the fact that it became relevant when its a piece of steaming shit, it has no redeeming qualities.
>>
>>340996382
YU-NO severely fucks up Gone Home in several regards. Characters, world, plot, whatever semblance of gameplay it has, etc.

Get the fuck out of here with your arbitrary distinctions like they mean anything.
>>
>>340977620
>Celice
>a twerp
TAKE THAT BACK FAGGOT
HE BETTER TAKE THAT STATEMENT RIGHT BACK
>>
>>340974921
>gone home kickstarted a subgenre

Shitty Indie Game?
>>
>Current year
>Talking about Gone Home
>>
>>340997215
Walking simulator with pretentious narratives. So yeah, shitty indie games.
>>
>>340995650
He does, Kurt's dad is an editor on Sketch's book too.

Sketch is fucking nuts however. Also, he's a contributor to Retro Gamer magazine now and EVERY opportunity he gets, he shills his books.

It hurts that the set of books are full of so much good info because I don't want to support him.
>>
>>340976131
>>340976276
This. I have no idea why people still suck their cock.
>>
>>340991380
>>340991610
> The story of the New Games Journalist, as well as the story of the New Games Journalist-wannabe (which is what every professional games writer is nowadays) is the story of a man-child who has grown older in body but not in spirit. Imagine a person who has grown up on games and game magazines, and stuff like comics, anime, sci-fi novels, etc. Everyone around him is growing up, getting jobs, growing more serious, starting families, etc., whereas he still spends most of his time on games -- he may be a games journalist, or he may be working in the games industry, or he may simply be a salaryman whose recreation consists almost exclusively of videogames (and stuff like anime, etc.) People like that end up going through life with a bad conscience ("Conscience is the instinct of the herd in the individual", Nietzsche had said). What these people end up wondering sooner or later is this: "If everyone else is getting more serious," they ask themselves, "shouldn't I be doing the same as well? And if my chosen job and/or recreation is videogames, doesn't that mean that they should be getting more serious as well? Deeper, more meaningful and more profound? More "artistic"?
Game Journos and SJWs in a nutshell.
>>
I like their old articles about odd untranslated Japanese games that requires them to actually know what they're talking about. Picked up a few games from those articles.
>>
>>340997423
But Dear Esher came out before it
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.