[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just realized I love turtling in games, like when I used to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: serveimage.jpg (226 KB, 1536x1026) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
226 KB, 1536x1026
I just realized I love turtling in games, like when I used to play TF2 I'd mostly play Engineer, so I could stay comfly inside the base protecting the intel, or when I play Civ I tend to cut myself off and isolate from other civs as much as I can. Games like Dorf Fort are very appealing to me as well, but I suck at them.

Are you the same? What are some good games for turtling? Why is it so comfy?
>>
It's fucking boring.
>>
>>340949506
I'm sorry you don't feel the same way about it, anon.
>>
>>340949192
I tend to do the same until I feel like going on a genocidal rampage after hours of preparation/pent up anger.
>>
>>340949993
Yeah, I usually go all out at the end.
>>
>>340949192
>reject all open borders policies
>technologically progress past all other civs
>build massive army
>after a thousand in game years of solitude roll out into the world like a great khan with artillery and infantry units against a world of feudal knights

truly civ is best
>>
stronghold is pretty comfy
>>
>>340950558
This is why I love Archipelago maps. Fuck the Ottomans though.
>>
>>340950558
>>340950707
should also mention that with this playstyle if any civs get uppity and progress too quickly your advanced military moves in, burns down their cities and retreats back to the homeland while everyone wonders wtf just happened.

man i wanna reinstall civ now
>>
>>340949192
I always do that in RTS games.
Like back in Dawn of War, I'd always play as IG, build up great defenses like walls of turrets, heavy weapons teams, guardsmen, then with Basilisk artillery support and defend for most of the match while building up tech and buildings.
I eventually push outwards slowly taking area and moving up defensive lines.
>>
>>340949192
Total Annihilation.

Also, while I like turtling against AI in RTS games, I never felt the same satisfaction in dedicated tower defense games.
>>
Do RPGs count? I like being able to:

1. Take any damage they dish out

2. Shut down their options

3. Control a given area(s)

Probably some hybrid of tank/cc, there are some games off the top of my head.
>>
This is why I fucking loved warsong gulch in wow
>flagroom is small, and has a roof, as a hunter you can see everyone coming and going so you can prepare an ambush or know where the flag is
>setting traps right on the flag then unloading everything at the poor sap who tried to take it
>if they managed to escape, my pet would intercept them in the tunnel
>>
>>340950990
>man i wanna reinstall civ now
Has civ surpassed Deus Ex as the "reinstall every time someone mentions it" game? It sure has for me.
>>340951189
>while I like turtling against AI in RTS games, I never felt the same satisfaction in dedicated tower defense games.
Same here, I'm not sure why though.
>>340951279
Yeah man, having total control of the situation is part of what makes it so pleasurable.
>>
>>340951279
Fire emblem specifically awakening
>place kellam in a choke point
>place mage or archer right behind
>1 to kellam no matter what comes
>archer takes shit out next turn
>>
Age of empires/mythology comes to mind.
>>
>>340951664
>no satisfaction in true tower defence
I mark it off as the enemy can move right through their set path no problem while the towers are beating down on it while in rts you can completely block off areas and watch as things have to break through your walls while taking fire
>>
File: tuile.jpg (47 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tuile.jpg
47 KB, 500x500
>>340949192
>>
File: FTLfeel..jpg (104 KB, 380x682) Image search: [Google]
FTLfeel..jpg
104 KB, 380x682
>shit at RTSs cause can't micro
>play Star Wars Galactic Balttegrounds
>me against all the computers
>use cheats to give myself resources and instabuild
>surround my shitbase with layers of walls and turrets
>>
Am I the only one that also likes to purposely stay gimped and tiny in 4x games while trying to stay neutral to everything else, watching all the other civs deal with their own shit
>that tiny nation in the corner? Yeah that's X he doesn't really do much but tend to his own business so we don't bother him
>>
>>340950990
>turtling somehow makes you progress in tech faster
>having fewer resources and territory and can have a larger army than people constantly expanding
so are you playing against easy computers?
>>
>>340952119
You post reminded me of the Creeper World games, the only Tower Defense games I ever truly enjoyed, and that's only on account of them being completely different from every other TD game, instead of towers shooting a conveyor belt of enemies you had to stop the steadly advancing "creep" wave towards your base. It was pretty good, especially for flash games.
>>
>play Planetary Annihilation with two friends
my and another friend spawn on one planet and my other friend spawns on the other
>kill my first friend in 8 minutes with a bot rush
>by the time my shit is worked out and I'm ready to invade, he's fortified his planet to be nearly impossible to attack
>no asteroids or death stars
fug
>>
>>340952621
Absolutely not, I love playing as tall as possible. The AI loves wide though, except when it can't, like with Venice.
>>
>>340949192
>/b/ is too scary so I came here
You can make a thread about anything, as long as you add "... in games" at the end.
>>
>>340954707
Turtling is a video game specific thing.
>>
>>340952119
For me, I think it's the fact that in TD games your effectiveness is decided primarily by your turret composition, how well you've grasped the meta of the game, whereas in normal RTS games terrain and turret placement are more important and where to set up a functional defense line is not always obvious. You feel more accomplished when you find that sweet spot yourself.
>>
>>340951189
>turtle in TA with retarded AI that for whatever reason makes a beeline for your Single fortified point
>just stall out till you've built like 5 krogoths and kill everything at once
Fun times
>>
>>340955034
Of course.
>>
>>340956097
All posts were about video games up until yours.
>>
File: 1430016433951.gif (954 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1430016433951.gif
954 KB, 400x300
>>340955804
Exactly. And with infinite resources there will be infinite lambs to the slaughter.
>>
>>340949192

OP you sound like you'd really enjoy a good game of Magic the Gathering

Do you like the color Blue
>>
>>340952692
>he can't min max military tech trees
>he can't then use this tech to raze AI cities and thereby slow them down allowing himself to turtle and still progress faster

damn nigga its like you haven't gotten the 2 city win achievement in civ
>>
>>340957010
I already love MtG. Blue and white best combo, literally stall2win
>>
File: Oh wow a land good for you.jpg (64 KB, 418x305) Image search: [Google]
Oh wow a land good for you.jpg
64 KB, 418x305
>>340957241

Then I'm pretty lost on how to help you friend
>>
I can't stand it. I have the reverse playstyle. High risk, High reward fast paced frontline fighting. It's probably the most generic playstyle there is but I love it. I've never been stealthy or strategic my mind just can't operate that slowly. I can't plan things out and see the bigger picture but what I can do is fuck shit up with my reflexes.
>>
>>340949192
RIM WORLD
>>
>>340957696
Great card.
As someone who loves to turtle in strategy games for some reason I can't play anything but red in MtG, maybe burning shit off the board gives me a bigger sense of security than blue shenanigans.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.