[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Game Arts >release one of the greatest RPGs back then
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 6
File: header.jpg (63 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
63 KB, 460x215
>Game Arts
>release one of the greatest RPGs back then
>there will be no Grandia 4
>???
>>
>>340859848
No, the director died, and the studio ended Grandia dev out of respect or something like that.
>>
I feel your pain anon, Grandia 2 is the best turn based RPG I've ever played.

I even got used to the long low quality movies for special moves that you can't stop
>>
>>340860073
Shit man, when did that happen?
>>
>>340860073
I honestly have never heard of that. That's sad man.
>>
>Grandia great
>Grandia II DC great
>Grandia II PS2 worst horseshit port ever
>Grandia Xtreme shit
>Grandia III subpar

I don't even want IV.

I can just replay I and IIDC and pretend the series ended there.
>>
>>340859848
Grandia 2 has really cool combat but I feel that the enemy encounters fail to really take advantage of it.
>>
>>340860448
Plus I'd rather have Lunar 3 anyway.
>>
>>340860448
I feel like the battle system from Grandia 3 mixed with a story like Grandia 2 would make the best RPG ever
>>
>>340860639
Yeah Grandia 2's story was just epic. Awesomely told too, I legit cried (or at least got sad) twice during the game, and really didn't see or even suspect the plot twist coming.
>>
>>340860618
Remember Lunar Dragon Song? It was crap.
>>
>>340860448
You should play the HD pc port instead.
>>
>>340864000
yes and checked
>>
>>340859848
>>340860073
That's unfortunate.
The combat from the Grandia series felt fresh and even holds up even today

I loved the mixture of real time and turn based combat
>>
>>340864178
I hate real time fights in RPGs.. I just can't get comfortable with them
>>
>>340863192
Yes.

But that was made by Japan Art Media, not Game Arts.
>>
>>340864000
Did they do a new PC port?

Because the original was as shitty as the PS2 version.

Either way, I own my own DC copy, so I have no real incentive to.
>>
let's start a petition for Grandia 4 :^)
>>
>>340864571
the fuck? did you miss the pc remaster on steam?
>>
>>340864571
they have an HD version that released on steam and GoG within the year.
>>
Millenia mai waifu
>>
>>340860876
>really didn't see or even suspect the plot twist coming.
You mean "Our God died fighting Satan and I want to awaken Satan so I can have a god to worship"?
That was a pretty nice twist
>>
Grandia is one of my favourite games and I often say it is my favourite in threads because no one else does.

I never played 2 however and have heard it was as good as if not better. Is there any way to play it now?
>>
>>340859848
What can I say? Squarenix is pretty much EA for jrpgs.
>>
>>340866105
>Square
>Grandia

So you're one of those people who still confuses publishers with devs, huh?
>>
>>340865972
Yes, that's precisely what I mean.

Just the fact that the god is dead and everything you've done accomplished little would be a pretty big plot twist, let alone with Pope's plan added to it. And the game only gets cooler with time - you follow Zera to the goddamn MOON which is actually a monster-making biological space station or something. Damn it I must replay the game soon
>>
File: tightest.jpg (8 KB, 213x160) Image search: [Google]
tightest.jpg
8 KB, 213x160
>tfw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxcJWyvxfzY
>>
>>340866095
>Is there any way to play it now?

Yeah. DC, PS2, PC/Steam/Gog, DC emulation, PS2 emulation, get a bunch of friends together and LARP it.

Plenty of ways.
>>
>>340866095
It's on Steam and GoG, wherever you prefer to get it you can. There's also mods on steam you can download even for GoG version, adding hq music, graphics, higher difficulty...
>>
I FUCKING LOVE EVERY SOUNDTRACK IN THIS GAME
>>
can't get mines to work.....

of course.....I never got the game from stream, so......
>>
>>340864571
>>340864671
>>340864782
Did you not even look at the OP?
>>
>>340866996
what's your problem? why can't you run it?
>>
>>340867118
thank you
>>
I guess I should try Grandia 3, 1 and 2 are amazing

I wish there were more JRPGs that tried to get more stuff in their combat system, most new ones are boring as shit while Grandia is simple but amazing
>>
>>340860073
Not that they are very active. They released Dokuro and Ragnarok Odyssey and some shovelware. That's the last 10 years. And since 2012 they have only released ports.
>>
>>340866364
>End of the moon section

I was legit sad about that, Marik was such a great dude.
>>
>>340867363
marik made me cry so hard
>>
File: g2.jpg (18 KB, 358x124) Image search: [Google]
g2.jpg
18 KB, 358x124
The remaster is great

The hard mode is an amazing addition because the regular game doesn't really offer you much of a challenge if you actually micromanage your skill books and such

It has some weird stuff sometimes where events don't trigger or don't finish correctly, though, like camera moves to a cutscene, cutscene ends but the camera never returns to normal so I would recommend saving constantly. I happened to me three times in 40 hours so I don't think it's THAT common, but better safe than sorry
>>
It's kind of sad they went for those hideous CG cutscenes over beautiful anime cutscenes though. They weren't impressive in y2k, now in 2016 they look like the stuff of nightmares, the cutscene models legit belong to five nights at freddy's.
>>
>>340860639

3 had the shittiest combat, though. The air combos were more often than not more detrimental than useful. Spells not stopping the flow of battle was OK but didn't really add much. The supers of whatever took so long to charge I forgot I even had them, though the game was the easiest shit of them all without them anyway.

I'm in the minority though, because my favorite was Xtreme. Combat is one of the best things the series has going for it, and Xtreme focused on that. I have replayed that game more than any other RPG because of it.
>>
>>340867134
Not sure.

when I start a new game it would play the opening movie, but after that the screen would go back and only the background music would play.

Mind you my computer isn't very up to date.
>>
>>340867508
The problem I found with cutscenes is that dialogue would often get out of sync, and because of that it would eventually end abruptly. I believe the explanation they gave to this was the framerate. I played it with the japanese dub, though, so maybe it's more synced with the english dub.
Another problem I found during cutscenes is that the camera would sometimes clip to the ground, which I assume did not happen in the Dreamcast version. The game didn't crash on me once or anything, however.
And the standard footstep volume is annoying as fuck, thankfully you can tone down each sound effect type.
>>
>>340867809
the game doesn't even require such good hardware
>>
>>340867250
Don't. Game was down right boring.

still pissed that they did the mana egg system from extreme. I hated that!
>>
>>340868018
Well again I didn't get this from stream so it might be the game itself

Maybe I should try again. Maybe find the game on torrent or something.
>>
File: goatdia.png (63 KB, 350x117) Image search: [Google]
goatdia.png
63 KB, 350x117
>>340867883
Here's my inflated play time, I idled the game for the trading cards before actually playing it. Game is pretty manageable even in hard difficulty, with only like one or two bosses I actually struggled with.
>>
>>340868354
It's weird how the bosses get progressively easier because the game gives you really OP tools if you know how to manage them

Millenia with the skills that boost Fire and Earth damage using AoE explosion spells win pretty much every normal encounter, while Mareg with full Vitality skills and the provoke one equipped with that ring that nullifies damage under 100 or 200 makes it impossible for non-bosses to hit you
>>
>>340867553
>Air combo
>Free cancel
>Can be activated even with low tier spell (crackle)
>detrimental

wat
>>
>>340860205
Takeshi Miyaji left Game Arts shortly before the release of Grandia II to found mobile game developer G-mode (now a part of Marvelous) in 2000.

He died in 2011.
>>
>>340867508
I played through on hard mode, and it's still super easy. It does make you change tactics for certain bosses, but shit like cold and the cancel skills make most boss fights trivial.

It would have been a lot better and more balanced if skills worked more like Grandia 1, where you'd have to run up to the enemy in order to cancel their shit instead of the move executing instantly.
>>
>>340869439
>Can attack like 15 times
>enough to kill 3 enemies
>first one gets popped into the air by your mages AoE
>Blow your whole fucking combo load on one guy who is mostly dead anyway
>Can't turn that shit off or cancel it

Most of the bosses were too large to launch into the air anyway - the one fucking time that shit would have been useful anyway.
>>
File: guide.png (97 KB, 805x183) Image search: [Google]
guide.png
97 KB, 805x183
I just ordered this, should be here in a few weeks
>>
>>340870671
It's been a while since I played, but I distinctly remember launching one of the bosses and defeating them with a massive combo. It just takes more effort.

It was some dragon shit you got a bonus for defeating quickly.
>>
>>340860073
RIP
>>
Grandia was truly a push in the right direction in terms of jrpg combat. Everything someone asks how to improve jrpgs I mention that they should take a lesson from it and try to innovate to make combat more dynamic.

G3 sucked but flying whales are my fetish and there's too little media that does it.
>>
>>340859848
Beside Millenia looking like IndoChinese-Slavic goddess and part-time Slayers character, I have no other complain.
>>
>>340872447
The first grandia was the first jrpg I ever played, and it's pretty much ruined the genre for me because the battle system was so good.
>>
This is the franchise FFX-2 and then FFXIII copied. FFXIII's battle system is a watered down version of Grandia III's.
>>
>>340872702
>IndoChinese-Slavic goddess

explain this one
>>
>>340872837
>ruined jrpg's for me
Pretty much how I feel too. I pray the series rests in peace with no remake/revival bullshit in the future.
>>
>>340871292
>Most

Like? The only one that can't be launched is the dragon and final boss, even Melc crystal can be air combo-ed to death. No human boss immune to air combo too
>>
Call me when Game Arts puts Lunar on Steam
>>
>>340875897
buy Dokuro in the meantime
>>
>>340875684
I think you're misquoting, that's what I was saying.
>>
>>340874717
If they remade Grandia with high resolution sprites and left the gameplay and story exactly the same, I'd cum buckets.
>>
I'm planning on playing Grandia II because I've heard the battle system is good, however I frequently see people say grandia 1 is much better. Why is that? Should I start with grandia 1 even if I'm primarily interested in good gameplay?
>>
>>340877891
The gameplay is more or less the same. Grandia 1 has a better feeling of adventure to it.
>>
>>340872447
>flying whales are my fetish and there's too little media that does it.

Ever play Musashi Samurai Legend? The main hub is a town on top of a giant flying whale. I think I get where you're coming from, the concept resonates strongly with me for reason.
>>
>>340877891
Both battle systems are pretty similar. I feel like the first game is better balanced, but some of the exploity things in the second one are a lot of fun.

1 is the better game though. Better music, better characters and story, and nicer art.

It doesn't matter which order you play them in story wise.
>>
>>340878523
Oh, I forgot to mention, in Grandia 1, it'll be several hours before you get access to any magic. You still get plenty of moves and items to play with though.
>>
>>340878340
>>340878523
Thanks.
>>
>>340863192

Fuck I just got flash backs. Who the fuck was dumb enough to sign for the genius mechanic of you either get experience or money and items for every battle.
>>
File: grandia 2.jpg (678 KB, 1642x1075) Image search: [Google]
grandia 2.jpg
678 KB, 1642x1075
>>340867508

I oughta check it out for the new difficulty mode. The original is pretty easy, save for the Eye of Valmar, which was a weird and out of nowhere difficulty spike at that point in the game, all the other bosses afterwards were kind of a downhill coast.
>>
>>340859848
I want grandia 1 on steam
>>
>>340879505
Honestly, it's not that much harder. I beat the entire game without using any items or having a single character die.

Only boss I really had trouble with was the Egg Guardian. Those bits are cunts.
>>
>>340877827
I'd allow it
>>
>>340878487
I haven't but I've seen it in stores back on the day. Aside from G3 I recall seeing them only in an Android game called God of Blades. Cosmic Space Whales FTW. Dunno where but I feel I've seen them elsewhere before.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.