[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this game still playable today? Worth playing? I tried playing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10
File: Daggerfall_Cover_art[1].gif (46 KB, 288x363) Image search: [Google]
Daggerfall_Cover_art[1].gif
46 KB, 288x363
Is this game still playable today? Worth playing? I tried playing it, as someone who passionately loves Morrowind, I found Daggerfall nearly unplayable.
>>
Fuck no, it has loads of content but it aged horribly.
>>
>dosbox
>>
if you are heavily drugged to the point where you can get past the learning curve of the controls for a few hours its alright
>>
>>340849101
Go ahead and try. My first game was Morrowind so I thought this wouldn't be so bad... I just couldn't do it. Kuddos if you can get past how old it is because it's got so much content.
>>
Yes. It's a fun game. Lots to do. Starting dungeon can be an issue because starting gear is randomised and the dungeon has monsters which require a certain level of weapon to be killed.

>>340850675
>>340849203
Don't you ever let me find you complaining about Skyrimbabbies in Morrowind threads you little shits
>>
File: 1444186595294.webm (3 MB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
1444186595294.webm
3 MB, 640x400
i played the game with 0 background in elder scrolls (skyrim was my first elder scrolls l m a o) and it's great.

everyone that tries it now days gives up because they cant figure out the first dungeon.

also everyone uses this: http://wiwiki.wiwiland.net/index.php/Daggerfall_:_DaggerfallSetup_EN

EyeOfArgonia is helpful to up the draw distance.
>>
File: 1444195702096.png (657 KB, 640x796) Image search: [Google]
1444195702096.png
657 KB, 640x796
>>340851272
settings related
>>
>>340849101
If you're truly interested, it's worth one playthrough.
I'd probably read up on what builds you should do and at the start when it lets you choose a gift I'd choose the ebony shortsword so you can hit stuff at the beginning.
>>
Every Elder Scrolls, including Morrowind, is horribly broken in some way. It's up to you what you're willing to tolerate though.
>>
>>340849101
Why dont you play the Unity port of Daggerfall?

It looks AMAZING.
>>
>daggerfall thread
>right before bed
FUCK.

Worth a look though, just be sure to change the controls. I also recommend Arena if you like this, or if you want to get into Daggerfall. Daggefall's dungeons are pretty much murder mazes.
>>
>>340851650
is it complete?
>>
>>340852417
No, but it's playable.
>>
>>340851669
arena is trash
>>
>>340852486
Personally I like it. Basic dungeon crawling game, with not a lot to worry about in terms of skill management. It's a dungeon crawler first, second, and third, which for players of the newer games may be a big turn off. Classic D&D style game as it gets. Just get the mod that changes the controls and you're good.
>>
>>340851272
>because they cant figure out the first dungeon.
It has a better ingame tutorial than 99% games of the time and people still have problems with it?
>>
>>340852919
The dungeon is fucking murder if you don't have a combat focused class to be honest. The layout is arguable the simplest in the game though.

New Players better enjoy it :v
>>
It's better than ever (most important bugs are now fully fixed) and yet still not very great. The mechanics are good but the world they're used in is completely barren and uninteresting. Treat it like a 3D roguelike.

>>340849203
>aged horribly
This phrase should be an autoban.
>>
>>340849101
the only good TES game is Morrowind because of its handcrafted world with static loot
>>
>>340849101
Daggerfall can be quite a lot of fun. The only thing I don't really enjoy about the game is the dungeons. They're just gigantic mazes which would be perfectly fine if the dungeon map wasn't completely useless. I always play with the command enabled that lets you teleport back to the dungeon entrances. It helps alleviate some of the frustration of navigating them.
I honestly wish there was some sort of mod or something that made them just a bit smaller or made the dungeon map 2d like how the towns are displayed. I'm pretty sure both of those things might not even be possible though within the engine.
>>
>>340853049
being a butthurt nostalgiafag should shovel your posts to /vr/
>>
>>340853140
Notice how I didn't even praise Daggerfall you complete idiot. Games aren't food, they don't spoil.
>>
>>340853074
This comic always gets a chuckle out of me.
>>
>>340853085
>he can't figure out the dungeon map
>he cheats instead of using mark/recall
>>
>>340853254
There's nothing wrong with Mark and Recall. The dungeon map is pretty brutal until you understand how it works. I find it easy to navigate personally, if not a bit convoluted.
>>
File: amazing tes arena combat.webm (2 MB, 700x524) Image search: [Google]
amazing tes arena combat.webm
2 MB, 700x524
>>340852783
Arena is OK. People who rate it poorly don't remember that back then games in that genre were either topdown or first person locked on a grid. Having free movement in a fake 3D enviroment like that was pretty impressive, especially given the scale of everything.
>>
>>340853345
Ultima Underworld m8
>>
>>340849101
I wasn't playable when it came out and don't let the trolls fool you into thinking otherwise.
>>
>>340853546
>trolls
We're giving honest help and opinions, anon.
>>
>>340853581
Yeah to trick OP into wasting hours on a game that's figuratively unplayable. Fucking troll.
>>
>>340853628
>figuratively unplayable
But it's not, though.
>>
>>340853628
Try not acting like a monkey and reading instead of pressing buttons and complaining
>>
>>340853074
Pretty good. Highlights a core issue with level-scaling.
>>
File: castle wayrest.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
castle wayrest.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>340853085
>he can't read Daggerfall's map
>>340853409
Yeah, I wasn't saying that games like that didn't exist, but they were a rarity.
Also, I never played UU so I don't know about it, but was it as big as Arena, with huge cities, unlimited dungeons and an explorable overworld?
Regardless, I wasn't trying to say it was unique in any way, but just that in recent times it gets too much flak for not being Daggerfall and Morrowind, but I still found it worth playing.
>>
>>340853074
>>
>>340849101
Not really. It's TES. The only good thing in TES is ability to mod them. Introduced in Morrowind. So go figure the rest
>>
>>340853034
Just cleared it out with my new mage. The combat is much easier than in Morrowind, you can never be hit if you time your hits with the enemy or step back when they swing at you. The only difficult enemy are imps who are immune to ordinary weapons, but even if you don't have magic or ebony dagger you can still fist fight them to death and starting stats should be good enough for that if you didn't fuck with them.
>>
>Play Daggerfall in Dosbox
>Leave game
>My mouse gets fucked outside of Dosbox
>No other games on Dosbox does this
Every single time.
>>
>>340853874
All the elder scrolls games have level scaling, it's just in Oblivion and Skyrim where you actually notice. Not trying to put you down or anything, but it's something I found interesting.
>>
>>340853937
>was it as big as Arena, with huge cities, unlimited dungeons and an explorable overworld?
No and there was no "overworld" since the entire game takes place in a single (nonlinear, interconnected) dungeon. On the other hand though, everything was handcrafted and fleshed out.
>>
>>340851272
reminds me of system shock

are the controls really that convoluted?
>>
>>340854014
Daggerfall doesn't have proper level scaling, just different monsters are spawned according to your level.
Morrowind doesn't really have level scaling.
>>
>>340854135
Morrowind's level scaling is very random. The Brotherhood Assasin, and apparently wildlife? It's weird, but it's...something.
>>
>>340849101

it's really really empty and mostly procedurally generated, which gives it a really sick atmosphere because of how massive it is. but then you play it for a few hours and once the feeling that anything is possible wears off, you realize its just a bunch of poorly deisgned fetch quests by anonymous questgivers and all the charm and mystique kind of goes away.
>>
>>340853937
Daggerfall map is unintelligible. Maybe it's because I play in fullscreen but even looking at this mess hurts my eyes. I end up just memorizing most of the dungeons or drawing map on paper if it's especially large.
>>
>>340854014
>>340854135
you can see level scaling in Morrowind mostly in random encounters
>>
>>340854243
>drawing the map on paper
I salute you.
>>
Daggerfall is pretty good but you have to have the patience for older RPGs in general to enjoy it. It's best not to really compare it to or even think of the later games because of how fundamentally different it is. I wouldn't expect anyone under 26 to give a shit.
>>
>>340854215
>wildlife
No. Cliff racers are the same for the whole game. No wildlife poses a challenge after a dozen levels.
>The Brotherhood Assasin
Possibly, I don't remember. But it's a single instance in a large world.

>>340854286
No you can't. For a level 30 character, nothing really poses a challenge anymore. If there was any proper level scaling, there would be guys oneshotting you.
>>
>>340854105
The controls are bog standard WASDE + mouse. The only quirk is that it's swipe to attack instead of just clicking, and the direction of the swipe determines the type of attack.
The UI is a bit rough at times, and often buggy, but very usable.
Some people appear to be unable to read the map, but I don't get it. It's always been perfectly clear to me.
>>
>>340854221
... this applies to all TES games
>>
>>340854135
>just different monsters are spawned according to your level
That's literally what happens in every single Elder Scrolls game you mong.
>>
>>340854215
The assassin was just the result of Bethesda mistakenly assuming you'd only activate the mod on an existing mid-to-late game save and not properly accounting for new games.
>>
I just started to play couple of days ago. Is it bug that there are portals in dungeons that look like different objects like sculls or brick walls?
>>
>>340849101
Daggerfall is cool. Has one of the best atmospheres in a video game, period.

muh atmosphere

The combat and dungeons are the best bits of the game from an actually -playing- point of view, though; I don't find exploring very fun.

The best part of the game is the soundtrack, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=497CUFZY5uY
>>
>>340854461
Have you even played Oblivion/Skyrim? You get the very same enemies as before, except loaded with HP and dealing horsecock sized damage despite you being in full daedric gear.
>>
>>340854510
Nope. Working as intended.
>>
>>340854554
Please don't remined of the Oblivion highwayman in full Glass with a billion health.
>>
Are default classes any good?
>>
File: minotaur.jpg (114 KB, 1380x802) Image search: [Google]
minotaur.jpg
114 KB, 1380x802
>>340854554
It's obvious you've never played either of those. There are creatures in both that don't spawn until you're a certain level.
>>
>>340854357
>No you can't. For a level 30 character, nothing really poses a challenge anymore. If there was any proper level scaling, there would be guys oneshotting you.
yes you do see level scaling in random encounters, how well its made is beside the point
but I'd argue golden saint wandering the wilderness is retarded enough
>>
>>340854728
>golden saint wandering the wilderness
Literally never had this happen and I've played for hundreds of hours. You must've been near some Daedric ruins.
>>
File: XLComp.png (3 MB, 5500x4300) Image search: [Google]
XLComp.png
3 MB, 5500x4300
>you will wander around the whole continent of Tamriel in your lifetime
>>
>>340854829
You didn't fuck around in the Grazelands then
>>
>>340854639
That still want you to give them 100 gold
>>
>>340854639
>>340854989
>Having bandits that you can one swipe kill is better
Yet you fags whine and complain if the game is too easy and you become god like after a certain level. Plus them wanting money and wearing that stuff can easily be explained - they're bandits, so they're not very smart. They keep tricking adventures to their deaths, steal his shit without realizing it's worth because they spend their whole life in the forest, then want the gold because they want some mead and pootang money.
>>
>>340854895
>spaceengine
Well, that just isn't fair.
Has DaggerXL already implemented all of Tamriel? Is there something to do in it?
>>
>>340854461
Wrong.
Think of it like a D&D bestiary.
Level 1-2 would make goblins, kobolds and other low level monsters spawn.
Reach level 15 and suddenly it's spawning skeletons and vampires.
As opposed to Oblivion where the enemies are always the same, but their stats and gear change according to their "level".
>>
>>340855254
>Start level 1
>Bandit has 100 health, dies in a few hits
>Minotaur has 300 health, takes a a lot more hits but the fight doesn't drag
>Enemies have level scaling
>Reach very high levels
>Bandit has 1 billion health and deals damage independent of equipment, takes an eternity to kill and can kill you in a few hits
>Minotaur has 3 billion health, takes 3 eternities to kill and can one-shot you

Two enemies with believable differences in health and damage output have now become indistinguishable from one another. All sense of character growth has been destroyed. It's harder to kill a bandit at level 80 than it is at level 1.
>>
>>340855607
>As opposed to Oblivion where the enemies are always the same, but their stats and gear change according to their "level".
But that's only true of humanoid enemies. Entirely different creatures spawn at different levels exactly the way you described.
>>
>>340855254
>they trick adventurers to their death
>they're not very smart
>steal his shit without realizing it's worth
>then want the gold because they want some mead and pootang money
>they spend their whole life in the forest
An actual Bethesda writer bothered to come here and explain shit...
>>
>>340853074
skyrims level scaling is a lot better than in oblivion because its not total, certain monsters and certain locations have level ranges, meaning that you will never run into a level 1 dragon priest (I think their range starts at 20) and you will never run into a bandit thats wearing daedric armor, as opposed to oblivion

>>340853987
this is just false, the quest related to a woman sleeping with maried men in Riften didn't send you to a draugr cave, it told you to pickpocket stones of dibella of the men she slept with

the bandit camp/draugr temple quests are mostly the radiant ones
>>
>>340856628
>send you to a draugr cave
I think it started as a joke, but now you have idiots who seriously believe it.
>lol Draugr caves amirite
Fucking hell.
>>
>>340849101
The Betony demo is still free from Bethesda.
Give it a try.You will know rather quickly if you will enjoy it or not.

I tried and just couldn't do it.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.