[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HL3
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 21
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 350x332) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 350x332
Does anyone actually give a fuck about this series anymore?

I'm so sick of this meme. Half Life as a series has been dead for so long that it doesn't even enter my mind anymore.

The only reason I'm making this thread is to see if people genuinely care about a third game or if it's purely a tired and exhausted meme that newfags keep propping up.

Anyway, Half Life 3-who-gives-a-fuck thread.
>>
I do
>>
Just in case you're a valve shill gauging interest for half life 3 I'll post in this thread. EP 3 WHEN?
>>
I give a fuck.
>>
>>340745796
Love the series and wished everyone would stop talking about it unless gabe himself announced something. The fake hype threads about some bullshit leak are the worst.
>>
>PANCAKES PANCAKES PANCAKES WHEN WILL YOU STOP TALKING ABOUT PANCAKES!
>>
>>340745937
Is this what /v/ has come to? Any discussion on video games is brought down to someone shilling for a game?
>>
>>340745796
Listen up fuckface. The thing about your generation is that you think other people think about your opinion. You're that guy on youtube who goes like "I personally don't believe in GOD but still rest in peace". I care about half-life 3. Any gamer with half a brain should care for half-life 3. If you're only interested in games for their surface and not their depth and what they could influence and create then you don't care about half-life 3. You'd lap everything up shitty companies throw at you. Go play Overwatch bitch boy. Grow up and stop caring about what other people think. If you're that brain dead open up a book or something because not waiting for half-life 3 is sacrilegious.
>>
Half Life represents a golden age of singleplayer shooters, where Valve innovated like champions and were the bleeding edge. After Episode 2, they were like Pixar after Pixar made Up. They were like Platinum after Platinum made Revengeance. And since Portal 2 was good, people hang onto that shred of hope that some day Valve will rescue them from the pit of terrible campaigns and bring them to a new plain of game design.

Valve won't make HL3 until the TF2/CSGO/Dota2 oil wells dry up, so don't expect it this E3. Or the next. Or the next. Or the next. Or the next. Maybe in five years.
>>
>>340745796
fuck Valve
fuck Gabe
fuck Half Life
>>
>be a huge half life fan
>wish everyone would just stfu about it
>no one even talks about why HL1 + 2 are so good anymore
>the actual REASON for the hype
>50% of kids now probably just know it as some meme

Hl2 surprisingly holds up today, only parts that are rough are the tacked on "team leader" stuff where npc's block you.

Best way to play hl1 is sven coop and just troll your friends
>>
>>340745796
Not any more.
>>
>>340746097
Every single person who posts on /v/ believes people care about their opinion.

Get your head out of your ass and jump off the bandwagon.
>>
1 was ok, better than most shooters at the time i guess. 2 was boring shitfest, can't recall anything outside of ravenholm or the beginning, let alone the episodes. I'm surprised there was even hype centered around a 3rd installment
>>
>>340746378
Why should I? Because some nobody told me? Who the fuck are you? I walked Bob Dylan on stage.
>>
File: 1464784570524.jpg (153 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1464784570524.jpg
153 KB, 800x800
>>340745796
I WANT IT SO BAD
>>
>>340746097
>being this passionate about a meme
relax.

Also you clearly believe that people care about your opinion since your shitposting on this thread.
>>
>>340746464
Alright, now I know you're trolling like a proper faggot.
>>
File: 1465505899681.gif (415 KB, 480x238) Image search: [Google]
1465505899681.gif
415 KB, 480x238
It wouldn't live up to it's hype. Like how people want a Julius Belmont game.
>>
File: 1465494957091.jpg (61 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1465494957091.jpg
61 KB, 640x480
>>340745796
>Duke Nukem Forever is ancient history
>Psychonauts 2 is in production
>Fucking NEVER EVER Shenmue III is in production
Half-Life 3 is the meme that never dies.
>>
I don't give a fuck. Valve can only make casual games on top of tech demos. Maybe HL3 will come out on top of some gimmick like VR.
>>
File: 1462868259423.jpg (10 KB, 236x199) Image search: [Google]
1462868259423.jpg
10 KB, 236x199
>TFW when you've played literally every half life mod worth playing, and a ton that aren't
>TFW nothing left to play

It really needs to come out soon.
>>
>>340745796
many people still do, i am sure there will be oldfag in this board jerk off when HL3 announced
>>
File: 1459174108616.jpg (31 KB, 600x462) Image search: [Google]
1459174108616.jpg
31 KB, 600x462
>>340745796
>Does anyone actually give a fuck about this series anymore?

No. Why the fuck would you if you were genuinely a Half Life fan rather than just some memer.

>laidlaw left Valve
>Antonov is gone
>look at the credits for HL2 and realise most of those other people are also gone

It's like people just want any game with the name 'Half Life 3' written on it, they don't actually give a shit what it's like or whether it's any good.

Do you seriously trust neo valve to suddenly come up with some amazing single player game out of nowhere against all evidence? If it even did come out everything points to it being some microtransaction filled atrocity probably with some kind of forced multiplayer
>>
This is the first year i'm not expecting Half Life 3
>>
>>340746686
The reason those games are in production is because the developers/creators of those games aren't making much money from any other license or title.

Gabe has no reason to make Half Life or any other game because he's cashing in from Steam. Until there is some sort of financial motivation or they just feel like doing a favour for their fans there will never be another Half Life 3.
>>
>>340746787
>>laidlaw left Valve
...and left the story finished for them. You're also implying he's the only writer capable of wrapping up HL, or even the only one who worked on it in the first place.
>>Antonov is gone
He established the visual tone for HL2, there's no reason why all the other artists couldn't continue what he started. He really didn't contribute much outside of concept art.
>>
>>340746787
I agree completely.
>>
I'll care once they've confirmed that it's actually a thing, that they're going to release it and provide proof of both.

Otherwise I'm going to go on with my life and not care about an non-existent game.
>>
>>340745796

It's one of the few reasons I would rush out to upgrade my PC (total overhaul). I know when I bought my copy of HL2 I drove a few stores down to Circuit City to buy a DVD drive just so I could play it.

HL is my Doom. I upgrade for it.
>>
File: 91f.jpg (27 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
91f.jpg
27 KB, 550x366
>Half-Life 2 was 12 years ago
>Left 4 Dead 2 was 7 years ago
>Portal 2 was 5 years ago
>>
>>340747059
They confirmed episode 3 10 years ago. Back then you weren't even born either way...
>>
>>340747114
It's just been so long, I don't understand how people can hang onto a dream like this.

Valve has no incentive to produce this title, they will make a killing off of it but they don't need to take the risk. That's why we haven't seen a new Left 4 dead or Team Fortress.

Valve just isn't a game developer anymore.
>>
>>340745796
Won't happen. HL3 would have to be goat or at least game of all time for it's time and there is no way it's doable with a coop fps which it's guaranteed to be

I don't really care. I never did. I loved HL2 but bought the silver pack for CSS, which ended up being garbage anyway. Sequels can really go fuck themselves. Valve should come up with a different successor to the HL series if anything
>>
>>340747308
Yeah and 11 years ago it was announced that Too Human was going to be a trilogy.

Go wait for your non-existent game you underaged faggot
>>
>>340745796
I'd rather have Left 4 Dead 3.
>>
>>340747343

HL was huge for me. I can still remember when my dad came home with a copy of Sierra Online Magazine to show me the preview for the game. I was very big into the modding community and worked on a major mod first as level designer than I got on the team as lead level designer.

HL2 wasn't quite as big but still holds a strong place in my heart. HL3 is just one of those things that will be worth the weight for me regardless. At worse it'll be a Phantom Menace which time wise at this point it's actually getting close to that.
>>
>>340746119
>until the TF2/CSGO/Dota2 oil wells dry up
As a warcraft fan who's been waiting for wow to stop raining money let me tell you it never ends...
>>
The question is not if we consumers give a fuck, it's if Valve gives a fuck.
10 years of asking for information, denied every time. Can't expect people to be too happy about that honestly.
>>
>>340746464
Oh man i haven't seen that video in ages.
>>
>>340747575
The only thing I fear is Valve rebooting the series.

I know they are probably too lazy to even do that but judging by what most developers are doing these days I wouldn't be surprised.
>>
>>340747832
That's the problem. Valve just doesn't care anymore because they have their own well-oiled cash cow named Steam.
>>
>>340745796
I don't really think about it but I'll be happy when it comes out and I'll most likely buy it. I don't expect the world from it, I just want to get some closure.
>>
I've never even played half-life 1. But I wish it had been made, just to shut you fuckers up
>>
>>340745796
half life is a meme, it was never that good, all the people who love it are memeing retards
>>
>>340748026
>implying it's not a constant meme while we all wait for the next half life
>>
>>340745796
So much shit has happened since half life 2 and the episodes, I don't care anymore about Half-Life.
I really liked the first, the second was overrated but done very well, it's annoying to play the story segments now, because you just stand around doing nothing while people talk around you, boring shit that only works the first time around.
I'm done with Fps's their kiddy shit, basically a child's genre.
>>
>>340747859

I would hope they wouldn't do something that drastic. However I could see that happening if we don't hear anything before 2018.

I just hold out hope that it's just a long delay from engine development + VR.. A new game in general from Valve would be nice to see and one that has single player at least.

Hell at this point I'd be happy with Ricochet 2 honestly.
>>
The only incentive they have left to make a game is to have flagship title for the vive. If they don't care to support it or feel like they don't need to then they ain't making shit
>>
>>340745796
the only good half-life game is 1

half-life 2 is directly responsible for creating EPIC AND CINEMATIC shooters and was bundled with steam which was a massive piece of shit/laughing stock for years
>>
Has that HL3 pastebin thing from january been debunked yet as horseshit?
http://pastebin.com/BhcD8xWb
>>
>>340748196
If you played it when it came out you would've hailed it as a masterpiece.

Today the game is still very good despite the dated gameplay mechanics/AI.

You have to remember that HL2 was incredibly innovative and reinvigorated the FPS genre when it initially was released.

Having said that, I don't give a fuck about HL3.
>>
>>340745796
it´s the same as if Tetris got a sequel. nobody fucking cares and even shittiest MMO like Overwatch has bigger momentum than any of this shit would get.
Gaben fucked up by not releasing a game every year with plenty of willing talent. RIP Valve it´s not a games producer anymore just a virtual Wal-Mart.
>>
>>340748348
this.
>>
>>340746301
>Sven coop
>That map with the warehouse wired to explode
>8 people all trying to do that at once

There's a point where it stops being fun
>>
>>340748321
Most children know the difference between their and they're.
>>
File: 1424408829537.png (329 KB, 749x500) Image search: [Google]
1424408829537.png
329 KB, 749x500
They waited way too long.

Half Life 3 will NEVER be as good as you've imagined it for the better part of a decade. NEVER.
>>
>>340748416
>half-life 2 is directly responsible for creating EPIC AND CINEMATIC shooters
no that was half life 1
>>
>>340748684
Agreed.

There is no possible way that HL3 (if it is ever made) could ever live up to the hype.

Part of me feels like Gabe just wants to run away without a loss. All of Valve's games have been successful both critically and financially. Part of me feels as if he is afraid to fail now that he has reached such legendary heights.
>>
File: 1440561482259.jpg (46 KB, 451x392) Image search: [Google]
1440561482259.jpg
46 KB, 451x392
>>340745796
>modern Valve
>being capable of shipping a AAA game

kek.

A game like Half Life 3 would probably require 150+ people. How would that work with their structure where everyone just farts around doing what they want on little pet projects which they probably end up dropping when they hit any obstacle, and there's zero pressure to actually push anything out the door.

They won't make Half Life 3 because it would actually require some level of effort...
>>
>>340748910
this
>>
I don't give a fuck anymore. Haven't given a fuck in half a decade.
>>
>>340746261
fuck your life
>>
>>340748993
I'm the OP and I completely agree with you man. They are lazy cunts that roll around in the money that they make from Steam with absolutely no motivation to produce anything new and innovative.
>>
>Half-Life 3 has taken so long to get made that the series’s creators are officially aging out of the business. Marc Laidlaw, a novelist who worked at Valve since its inception and was the primary writer of all the Half-Life games, recently announced his retirement from the industry. When asked what his departure meant for the franchise as a whole, he said he didn’t know, but that creative frustration wasn’t his reason for leaving Valve. “My nickname when I first started at Valve in 1997 was ‘Old Man Laidlaw,’” he said in an email to fans. “The little baby level designer who gave me that nickname is now older than I was then.” The same can probably be said for many fans who—after all these years and countless excuses later—are still waiting for the best game that never was.

Pretty good article at The Atlantic posted on 5/24/16 about HL3 and it's 10 year announcement anniversary.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/05/how-half-life-3-became-the-worlds-longest-anticipated-video-game/484073/
>>
>>340749026
I'm right there with you brother.
>>
I still care but I'm also kind of jaded by the whole thing at this point, there's really no possible way it could ever live up to the hype at this point.

HL2 came out in a period where there was still a lot of advancement in graphics, ai, etc. but that's all obviously stagnated a lot since then so a new HL game just doesn't have anywhere near as much wow potential.

No matter how good it is, it just won't be the same.
>>
>>340748993
>They won't make Half Life 3 because it would actually require some level of effort...

This basically. Valve, as a company may still exist but Valve as a developer has more or less withered away. It's a bunch of Generation Whine babies who've been coddled by the Steam Cow and do whatever they please. There is no concentrated effort towards anything at that studio anymore and likely never will be again.
>>
>>340749170
Good article, thanks for the input man.

Half Life 3 will never happen, half the crew that worked on the series is gone. Without some of the key members Half Life will not have the same heart as it did before.

RIP HL
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 500x371) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 500x371
i don't even care anymore. hl2 was whatever it was and i'm fine with the idea if that just ending there

honestly all i want is more from hl1. just give us something like co-op missions in black mesa that add to the story of the first game. i don't care. it doesn't have to be grand like half-life 2, i'm just still dying for a return to the classic half-life and i think that would be satisfying to a lot of people. black meda as a landscape for a game is honestly perfect and there's still so much that can be done with that idea even today

being a half-life fan is suffering
>>
File: welcome-to-die.jpg (132 KB, 422x422) Image search: [Google]
welcome-to-die.jpg
132 KB, 422x422
>>340747263
>>Left 4 Dead 2 was 7 years ago
Hahaha, nice try. You can't fool m....

It really HAS been 7 years, hasn't it?
>>
> who givs fuk bout dis meme

> maks a thread about said meme.

ave maria
>>
File: 1452811008683.png (201 KB, 305x407) Image search: [Google]
1452811008683.png
201 KB, 305x407
Half life 3 is like the "you just lost the game" of this decade. I dont remember/give a fuck about it.
>>
>>340749737

If they make HL3, you can bet your balls they'll somehow kill it with hats. They sure tried to with Portal 2.
>>
FUCK Valve.
>>
File: 3wdAK0Ob.jpg (8 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
3wdAK0Ob.jpg
8 KB, 160x160
>>340748993
Seems that way from glassdoor reviews of people who have worked at Valve. Although these should probably be taken with a pinch of salt

>"Placing any bets on a long-term career at this random and cliquish company is probably as wise as betting all your life savings on a single spin of a roulette wheel in Vegas. At this point Valve has devolved into a place you work at to pad your resume and make some bonus cash. Be prepared to be let down once you're inside. The basic idea of Valve works well with small (30-50 person) companies, but utterly fails to scale to a company with hundreds of people. The board and their closest friends have become extremely wealthy, so they have very little incentive to fix the company. This organization has a purposely opaque, hierarchical, secretive, and very rigid management structure. Many of the board of directors and their friends are utterly capricious and conceited. The longer an employee is at Valve, the more they singularly focus on protecting their yearly bonuses and the less they care about basically everything else. Some projects can go on literally for 5+ years wandering around pointlessly without shipping, with little to no direction, and no accountability. This company is terrible at writing and shipping large scale software, and sneers at words like "software engineering", "architecture", and "testing".

>" The random mass firings of 2013 tanked moral, and the stream of talent leaving the company during 2014 didn't help. The yearly review process lacks feedback, transparency, and coverage. This company has no formal HR, so good luck if you need to give genuine feedback about troublesome coworkers.
>>
>>340749919
>"Valve is surprisingly risk-averse. New projects, internal tools, dev infrastructure, and anything that doesn't contribute to a current product are met with disdain. Because teams are intended to be self-forming, it's rare that enough people will want to assume risk to all collectively embark on a new project. It's too safe and too profitable to just contribute to something that's already successful. Even though failure is supposed to be tolerated and even encouraged so that employees will try new ideas and experiments, there is little evidence of this. After a few rounds of bonuses, folks learn quickly what is rewarded, and what is not. Valve's success has made folks arrogant, and this contributes to the problem of how new ideas are considered and discussed. Dogmatic thinking is actually common because people can always point to a great success in the past and use this to justify why everything should continue as it is."
>>
>>340749420

Basically at this point wanting HL3 is about the same as wanting Chrono Trigger 2. Sure they could make it but it wont be the same people at this point so it might as well not be done at all.

Enjoy what you have and be thankful there were never any shitty entries in the franchise.
>>
>>340749919
>>340750054

> describes literally how every big profitable company works at an internal level.

bb-bbut valve is suppose to be le pure gaming bastion <|:)
>>
>>340749854
Explain this image
>>
>>340750243
lol newfag
>>
>>340749919
>no formal HR

Wow I always thought was a given for any major company these days. Weird.
>>
>>340750321

common with any company going for the flat hierarchy like valve.
>>
I actually doubt if it would bring out hype if it was to be announced since even the 'HL3 confirmed' meme is just as dead as this series
>>
>>340748416
>steam which was a massive piece of shit/laughing stock for years

AAAAHHHHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHA so much butt hurt over steam being god like
>>
File: The true face of death.gif (644 KB, 290x290) Image search: [Google]
The true face of death.gif
644 KB, 290x290
Ten years...
>>
>>340749919
>>340750054
>sour grapes from people who were fired for not being good enough

wannnh, wannnh

let's not forget the girl who was fired for being useless and immediately started crying misogynist bro culture. She's right too, if these guys are right, right?
>>
played one hour of half life 2 and then never played again. why do people enjoy this series?
>>
>>340751190
Oh please. It basically confirms everything and adds the context to the evidence, which is that they just aren't making AAA games anymore.

But you guys will probably still be here in 2034 for the HL2 release 30 year anniversary making threads about how its really happening this time because of the '3' in 30
>>
>>340751470
It's hard to get into it now. Back when it came out it was amazing. Now beating the game feels like kind of a chore.
>>
>>340751474
>It basically confirms everything

Right...Anonymous complaints of people who were fired "confirm everything"

It's almost like you have a bias that you want to see satisfied.

/v/ sure does hate valve because /v/ sure didn't play PC games before steam. The absolute vast majority of you here were not old enough to have PC gamed significantly to any degree before Steam. So you hate it because it's a big thing that's always been there, because that's what ignorant people hate.

The End.
>>
>>340751470
>why do people enjoy this series?
They have the attention span to actually play games
>>
>>340751598
>It's hard to get into it now.

It really isn't? Still a great game. You guys are so focused on your opinions appearing right ot the rest of /v/ lol
>>
>you will never play on the [GU] puzzle servers for the first time ever again
>you will never have the entire server cheer for you when you finally clear that autism-tier invisible maze
>you will never sit on the docks and fish with random people while chilling out to tunes being played over hlss as you take a break from puzzle solving

The real reason I want half life 3 is the second wave of hammer maps and sourcemods
>>
Who suffers more HL3 or Berserk fans?
>>
>>340751743
>The real reason I want half life 3 is the second wave of hammer maps and sourcemods

This a thousand times, CANNOT FUCKING WAIT.
>>
>>340746301
I just called my house, my 12 year old brother said something along the lines of "Oh yeah, the game that proves steam can't count to three? I heard its somehow related to portal."

No one cares anymore.
>>
>>340751620
>having an attention span greater than 30 minutes
fucking super humans.
>>
File: antonov.png (266 KB, 979x788) Image search: [Google]
antonov.png
266 KB, 979x788
>>340751619
But I don't have any issue with steam and this has nothing to do with Steam?

Just showing that all the evidence points to Valve never making any large scale games any more unless they can buy a mod that's already half way there, fill something with microtransactions or have a structure where the 'community' basically makes most of the game for them
>>
File: 1287993069992.jpg (208 KB, 504x533) Image search: [Google]
1287993069992.jpg
208 KB, 504x533
>>340751878
>this post

did you just make up the idea that you called your 12 year old brother to ask him about half-life 3?

fantasies of that nature usually come out of the mouths of 12 year olds. It's funny how you referenced someone else being 12 but then you called Valve Steam.

You're not 12, are you Decklan? Aidan? All kids your age are named these fucking fake irish pretend white people nigger names.
>>
>E3 2025
>"You've waited half your life for this game and today we're proud to announce..."
>Alien Swarm 2
>>
>>340751743
>that puzzle that requires someone to throw a grenade, and another player pick it up with the grav gun then shoot it into the rings while on a moving platform
>tfw you got that bro that has perfect synergy and you clear it first try every time
>>
>>340751731
>You guys are so focused on your opinions appearing right ot the rest of /v/ lol
The hypocrisy.
>>
>>340752050
>Just showing that all the evidence points to Valve never making any large scale games any more

"All the evidence" gives you about 1/100 of the picture. Do you realize Valve have like 300 development staff? what do you think they are doing, updating dota?

People actually don't think L4D3 is about to come out in a few months. amazing.

furthermore I've never understood this obsession with dick riding whether they make games or not. What they're doing now is more important than making games. Dota 2 is an AAA game btw and forever changed the face of gaming. I love how you all conveniently ignore it because you don't play it, while a 3 million dollar tournament is going on and a 20 million one is looming a few months away.
>>
>>340751852
Berserk will never be a thing so you might as well just shut the fuc up about it.

The Dreamcast game was good but way to short. It also had shit sales.

Berserk fans seem to forget that they are a niche audience and that there will never we a triple A title or game released for them in the future.
>>
>>340751470
half-life 2 was only impressive at the time. we take a lot of what was shockingly good about 2 for granted now.

i'd really recommend you play the first game instead. it's a master class in aesthetic. the environments, level design, and overall feel of the game are incredibly well done. it's one of the most lovingly thought out and polished first person shooters you'll play. the gameplay won't seem like anything special, but the great thing about it is that the gameplay and mechanics are simple and polished enough to let the general excellence of the level design shine through even almost 20 years later
>>
>>340751852

HL3 fans. At least Berserk is ongoing despite it's trickle pace. There is hope that Berserk MAY reach it's conclusion but at this point HL as a series is dead in the water.
>>
>>340752679
shut up!!! the /v/ opinion is that half-life "killed fps" by introducing scripted sequences

>revisionist history from people who literally weren't alive at the time
i love it
>>
File: 1463588878213.jpg (47 KB, 454x453) Image search: [Google]
1463588878213.jpg
47 KB, 454x453
>>340752513
>"People actually don't think L4D3 is about to come out in a few months. amazing."

>It's a 'people take proof that Valve worked on something at some point over the years as evidence that that thing is ever actually going to be released' episode.

top kuk
>>
>>340753135
It's a hunch. It's just about time. Half the time Valve comes out with shit completely unannounced, so

L4D is extremely easy to monetize and plays well on consoles
>>
>>340745796
half life is done. we will never see another instalment.
>>
>>340747263
>>Half-Life 2 was 12 years ago
just die in my sleep ;_;
>>
have you ever thought about the inevitable fact that the game would be also released on consoles?
>>
>>340752924
half-life doesn't really even have scripted sequences in the modern sense, though. leveling scripting existed and was used to some extent but the sort of overuse you see today (and in hl2) wasn't really feasible at the time. half-life was made at that perfect period of fps games where the basics had been figured out and the next frontier to heavily explore was great level design. unfortunately engine advances pushed developer interest into experimenting with mechanics and sequences which sounds great on paper but resulted in really boring shit like gravity gun puzzles fast paced scripted sequences that were exciting and surprising the first time you play through the game but totally uninteresting upon replay. with these aspects being the focus, a lot of games wound up with boring environments and boring level design
>>
yes, just for the continuation/conclusion of the story.

what people don't understand is that HL3 mania isn't about HL3. it's about 'the next Half-Life', the next transformative work, which HL3 is only presumed to be (a presumption earned by the series history).
>>
>>340753841
consider how great of a release half-life: decay was, though
>>
>>340753850
>people here think the new doom game is good

It's funny how, if you were actually around during the era, you saw Halo come out and kill real FPS as if it had just chopped the genre's head off. FPS *instantly* died after Halo. No genre has ever died the same way

And yet /v/irgins blame HL for killing FPS because they fucking grew up on Halo. Lol.
>>
That fat Jew cunt Newell won't release hl3.
>>
>>340753895
>presumption
This is what's wrong with Half Life fanboys. You all just assume that HL3 will be an innovative masterpiece based upon the previous titles.

But really; what can a new FPS Half Life game do that hasn't already been done?
>>
>>340754040
>what can a new FPS Half Life game do that hasn't already been done?

HL3 is going to be an online coop game where you play as human resistance, if it ever exists. Large world, MMO-ish elements.
>>
>>340752924
hl1 had plenty of scripted sequences.
>tfw you tried to save the guy in the blast chamber who wanted to fire the rocket but got eaten by the monster.
pure kino
>>
>>340754005
i used to share the same opinions but i don't know that it's fair to say halo killed the genre. looking back, halo wasn't exactly that cancerous. it was still at least an arena shooter and its experimentation with large multiplayer environments and with vehicles was great work whether you like the game or not. i don't think the genre was really put out to the pasture until cover shooters like geara of war came around. gears was reasonably fun online but the single player was absolute cancer. gears honestly sums up everything wrong with mid-2000s single player game design in one package. killzone and the entire call of dury series are also great examples
>>
>>340754545
it had a few and they don't matter. they made the game better. we were blown away at the time.

the intro to half-life was something of a thing of awe when it was released. There had never been anything like it
>>
File: a bit closer to heaven.jpg (49 KB, 427x300) Image search: [Google]
a bit closer to heaven.jpg
49 KB, 427x300
>>340754664
you don't need to remind me anon.
>when you visit the train ride corridor in Opfor.
>when you see gordon riding the tram behind you at the beginning of blue shift.
>>
>>340754553
It has nothing to do with how "cancerous" you think halo was. It showed that you could sell tens of millions by putting FPS on consoles, and when FPS came to consoles it killed the genre. It's just that simple

Nobody has to be the "bad guy" it doesn't have to be some big emotional thing but it's exactly what happened. The late 90s were full of good shooters, after halo they instantly completely stopped coming out as people moved to work on console style shooters.

Tropes like 2 weapons and regenerating health and levels without verticality did kill FPS. Factually. And those things were borne of the success of halo, not simply its design.
>>
File: no hope.jpg (73 KB, 1024x512) Image search: [Google]
no hope.jpg
73 KB, 1024x512
>>340745796
I still care, even though I've lost all hope.
>>
>>340754929
what's wrong with putting halo on consoles? HL came out on consoles and HL: Decay was pretty nifty.
>>
>>340754929
>Tropes like 2 weapons and regenerating health and levels without verticality did kill FPS. Factually. And those things were borne of the success of halo, not simply its design.

lol true. honestly i'd completely forgotten about those complaints because they're so common in games now that i forgot halo did it
>>
They're not even working on it, they literally said they haven't started and that they don't plan to pretty much ever.

Anyone who still has a glimmer of hope for Half Life 3 is a moron.
>>
File: 1431981735577.jpg (136 KB, 994x559) Image search: [Google]
1431981735577.jpg
136 KB, 994x559
Does anyone remember They Hunger?
>>
Maybe if they can't give us HL3 they could do a multiplayer/co-op prequel with the Seven Hour War being the main focus.. Make it squad based..
>>
File: dev-days-2016.png (394 KB, 1171x498) Image search: [Google]
dev-days-2016.png
394 KB, 1171x498
>>340746119
Valve doesn't do E3 anymore. They do their own conference with announcements. They're doing another one this October.
>>
>>340755316
yea but i didnt really like it
>>
>>340754316
The only question is: is that a good thing?
>>
>>340755763
why though?
>>
>op is the kind of guy to say "why are you listening to this song? it's so old!"

normies get out
>>
>>340755832
uhh yeah id pretty much kill 10 nuns for a new valve fps. doesnt matter what type
>>
No, most overrated series of all time. Literally nothing special about HL2 except muh gravity gun, but even that wasn't great.

It's hyped up by Valve drones. Even Halo/CoD are better in comparison, and 3, if it's ever even released will just be some VR bullshit, because Valve is second only to Nintendo when it comes to gimmicks.
>>
>>340746119
Daily reminder that episode 3 (now HL3) has been in the making for the last 7-8 years and is like 70% complete, still has a team working on it and has been getting valve "leaks" amongst other source 2 files.

HL3 is coming out in the next 2-5 years, im a believer
>>
>>340745796
I would buy it. I really liked playing through black mesa when it released as well. These games keep me entertained man.
>>
>>340755316
Hell yes my fucking favorite mod of all time
>>
>>340756220
those headcrab sounds they replaced though.
>>
>>340756528
Not the skellies
>FLEEESH CREATURE!
Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.