[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>0 rings >no save games >limited lives >game over,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 21
File: deatheggboss2.png (7 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
deatheggboss2.png
7 KB, 320x224
>0 rings
>no save games
>limited lives
>game over, no restart or continue

How did we survive back then?
>>
You kept playing the entire game over and over until you got to the final boss with enough lives and continues.
Later you found out about level select codes and were too numb to feel anything.
>>
Games were too easy.
Now with dark souls we have to git gud xD
>>
you sound like one of those really shit at video games people who rabidly accuses anyone of beating super mario bros on the NES a liar
>>
>>340674927
to be fair, this was a thing unique to sega
by this point we had early westwood RTS for PC and Nintendo had jumped to infinite continues years ago.
>>
We got good, millenials wouldn't understand
>>
After going through many levels you should have some extra lives to waste there. The two bosses are largely trial and error until you get the sequences.
>>
>>340674927

It was the only part of a Sonic game that gave me trouble as kid, except for the barrel in Carnival Night Zone, which really was as stumping as people make it out to be for me and my little schoolmates. Eventually, I learned to be patient with the final boss of Sonic 2, and it became easy. You only hit him when it's safe, when he lands and bends over. The difficult of Sonic 2's final boss comes from the players impatience, he is used to taking hits and grabbing a single ring back to never die against any boss. Because of this, even though this boss is simple enough once you've got it down, a lot of players keep dying because they get impatient and search for extra opportunities to hit it. His main attack, throwing his arms forward, is very easy to dodge, and you should never see his bomb attack if you make sure you're in the larger space before he lands, which is also easy to do.
>>
>>340675838
I had more problems with S&K final boss than with this guy. Of course it's easy once you learn what to do.
>>
>>340674927
Sonic games are pretty short and most people don't beat them on their first try. It's not that hard to beat them once you get used to the game.
>>
>>340676134

Somehow I find the final boss of Sonic and Knuckles is easier, though it doesn't make sense when I think about it. Timing the jump over the screen-filling laser he shoots should be harder than anything the final boss of Sonic 2 does, and I usually enter S&K's final boss without any rings.
>>
>>340674927
By not being shit at video games.
>>
>>340674927
We didn't have the internet or anything better to do so we just had to keep trying to beat the same game over and over no matter how bullshit it was until we got a new one on our birthday or at Christmas.
>>
I never even made it past Metropolis Zone as a kid.
>>
>>340674927
We either got gud or were gud already
We also had craploads of extra lives from previous stages
>>
>>340675363

Complete bullshit.
>>
>>340674927
It was all about suffering and slowly learning how to get through early levels without dying, until you could beat an entire game with only one or two deaths

This is a thing PC players never really had to do, considering you could save or load whenever you wanted. I attribute it to most of them being so bad at games.
>>
>>340674927
i was good at the game

at 9 i was super sonic at the first zone
>>
>>340674927
It also only took 20 minutes to beat the game. As games grew in length (<hour to >hours) the unforgiving arcade style had to change.
>>
File: dynamite-13.png (14 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
dynamite-13.png
14 KB, 320x224
fucking how
>>
>>340675838
Its literally a pattern. Terrible boss fight imo. For him and Robo Sonic I just wrote down their attack pattern and I knew where to stand and when to attack each time.
>>
>>340674927
Sonic 2 it was easy to get infinite lives
You could also make yourself invincible with super sonic or with a cheat
All sonic games had continues
All sonic games had level select
Sonic 3 had save files

Older games were no harder than games today.
>>
File: the telltale experience.webm (422 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
the telltale experience.webm
422 KB, 1280x720
>average modern game is an interactive movie
>hardly even have fail states because someone might feel bad about being bad at videogames
>>
>>340674927
did you know you could glitch that boss with debug mode? If you went into debug mode when the fight activates and return to the beginning of the level you can then reactive the boss fight causing another mechabotnick to appear. Keep doing this and you can have as many mechanotnicks as the game can handle before crashing.
>>
>>340674927
That boss really isn't that hard.

Its just intimidating because you have 0 rings. In terms of boss fights its pretty easy. The fight before it was harder.
>>
>>340674927
Developed skill. It's not that hard btw. I managed to do it pretty easily on a touch screen, and with a controller it's cake.
>>
>>340675838
You can hit him when he's walking. No need to wait until he bends over.

>>340676803
It's a great fight. You need to learn each attack and how to avoid it, as well as learn when you strike. Forcing players to learn the fight and not just rape it on their first attempt isn't a bad thing you scrub.
>>
>>340674927
>no continue
I forget how but you can earn continues in Sonic 2. I think it has something to do with beating a level quickly enough, which should be easy for Emerald Hill.

Also, I think Silver Sonic is harder than that guy unless you know about the spin dash trick.

>>340676724
Not him but Super Mario Bros 3 had infinite continues and it came out years before Sonic 2. I think Super Mario World had infinite continues as well but it's kind of a moot point since the game had a save feature anyways.

>>340675291
>about 7 years old
>Can't figure out how to get past the barrel in Carnival Night
>Find out Sonic 3 has a level select code
>Filled with joy
>Find out the code is hard as fucking balls to input correctly
>Sad again
>>
>>340676959
/thread
>>
>>340676426
The giant hands thing took a while for me because I didn't know you could use spin dash to solve it easily. Then the laser was troublesome because I often ended up falling when trying to hit the boss, because you can't hit it twice in a row. Also sometimes it glitched and didn't display the "flash" when getting hit, so I could get confused. Also you were sort of dragged/pushed somehow which made controlling your jumps difficult.

Either way, it's all piece of cake nowadays with emulators. I'm pretty sure the genesis controller had a longer response delay, because I often had trouble with maintaining sonic still after some jumps for some reason. I remember that jumping on the platform of the first death pit in Flying Battery took a bit getting accustomed to for me for some reason. Maybe it's because I was 6 years old and S&K (without Sonic 3) was pretty much the second video game I actually owned myself.
>>
File: 1415633476276.png (319 KB, 536x348) Image search: [Google]
1415633476276.png
319 KB, 536x348
>finally beat Metal Sonic
>chase Robotnik
>he hops in the mech
>for some reason my child brain decides to stand on top of the head whilst it goes up
>badoom
>>
>>340677831
I did the same fucking thing my dude
>>
>>340677558
>learn a fight
I think you mean "learn a pattern"
There is a big difference. There are plenty of great, hard boss fights that take a lot of time before you can master. Forcing the player to simply memorize a pattern is not good game design.
>>
>>340674927
We got gud
>>
>>340678009
Absolutely nothing wrong with learning patterns. I bet you don't like Contra either you pussy.
>>
>coworker is always emulating games on his normalfag phone
>see him playing MMX
>You liking that game dude? Probably my favorite Mega Man
>he tells me it's too easy
>watch him play for a couple minutes
>he has to use savestates to survive the spike elevator area before Boomer Kuwanager
No shit it's too easy when you cheat
>>
>no continue
lol look at this scrub

By the time I had gotten to the death egg I had about 20 continues stocked up, I bet a better player could hoard double that
>>
File: image.png (503 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
503 KB, 1136x640
This one wasn't very easy either, despite the rings, the jumping was tricky.
>>
>>340677831

Sticks seems like the kind of girl that likes having a cock on her face.
>>
>>340678226
Can you explain why having to memorize patterns is a good thing? It doesn't take skill, its a just a meme taken from the arcade era so game companies could force you into dropping more quarters.
>>
File: 1448580814913.jpg (47 KB, 452x544) Image search: [Google]
1448580814913.jpg
47 KB, 452x544
Limited continues are a shitty practice in my opinion. Making someone start from the very beginning of a game is way too excessive, do it from the beginning of the level or world.
>>
>>340678523
Can you explain how it's bad? You're the one that made the claim that pattern-based fights are bad in the first place.

>meme
Nevermind, you're an underage shitposter. Opinion discarded.
>>
>>340678523
Not him but I like the rhythm of pattern bosses
>>
>>340675363
It wasn't unique but it was rare at that time. The nes era was the best/worst simply because games emulated the arcade and rarely had a save feature(memory chips were expensive). You weren't supposed to beat the game, you were supposed to keep trying until you quit in frustration.
>>
>>340678523
I'm not even him, but it's a good thing because it feels fan-fucking-tastic when you've memorized a pattern and know how to take down a boss or complete a level flawlessly.
>>
>>340678436
insta-shield blows big arms the fuck out
>>
>>340678523
If memorizing patterns doesnt take skill then why were they so prevalent in the arcade era so game companies could force you into dropping more quarters?
>>
>>340678523
>patterns are bad

you must not play video games then
>>
File: mmz_box.jpg (70 KB, 500x497) Image search: [Google]
mmz_box.jpg
70 KB, 500x497
>>340678523
>It doesn't take skill
>>
>>340678782
>you weren't supposed to beat the game
Yes you were. You were supposed to keep playing and keep improving until you were able to finish the games. They made you earn your victories, a concept apparently lost on the younger crowd.
>>
>>340678710
Limited continues were penny-pinching tactics from the arcade era so people would keep feeding the machine more quarters.

I assume somewhere along the line people forgot why it was there in the first place and just kept it far beyond it making sense.
>>
File: PRO GAMER.png (26 KB, 807x192) Image search: [Google]
PRO GAMER.png
26 KB, 807x192
>>340679231
>>
>>340678829
my nigga. nothing feels better than killing silver sonic boss before he returns to the right side of the screen
>>
>>340679296
It was a smart tactic in arcades but has no right to be in a console/console game.
>>
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 1022x749) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 1022x749
>mfw fighting mecha eggman with knuckles
>>
>>340678436
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O88wYFVZcE
>>
>>340675649
It's likely that you are a millennial. It's not really a defined generation, and could mean anyone born between the mid 80s and early 2000s.
>>
File: King_hmm.jpg (16 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
King_hmm.jpg
16 KB, 320x240
>>340678523
>good memory is not a skill
>>
>>340679296
>limited
you mean none at all right?
Is there a single arcade game that actually gives you free credits?
>>
>>340679675
You mean mecha sonic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y75bPh0Gpf4
>>
>>340678982
>die in game
>realize you can just memorize the pattern to pass
>learn a bit of the pattern
>die
>enter quarter
>repeat

Its not rocket science, anon.
>>
>>340679096
I've played many good games with non-pattern bosses. Maybe they have some memorization sure, but not on the level of the boss doing literally the same shit every time.

>>340679739
>good memory
I just wrote that shit down.
>>
>>340678226
Not that guy, but I think games like Contra are good in spite of the rigid patterns rather than because of them. For example, I fucking loved Hard Corps but it was honestly disappointed when I realized bosses usually don't adapt to the player's position or even randomize their attack order. Having to react quickly to incoming threats is awesome. Once I know exactly where that next beam is going to hit before the boss even shows up, not so much.
>>
>>340679739
in this day and age, no, it isn't.
name one (1) job where memory plays a significant part of the job and isn't completely outclassed by any computer, a phone, or hell, the old classic pen & paper
>>
>>340680007
>practice
that sounds like skill tho
>>
>>340675310
Kill yourself
>>
The age was designed for enthusiasts, not for newcomers, so we had to learn a whole new topography of entertainment just to complete the game.
>>
>>340680185
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire winner.
>>
File: ShetUpIdiot.jpg (174 KB, 1440x1440) Image search: [Google]
ShetUpIdiot.jpg
174 KB, 1440x1440
>>340680185
>running fast isn't a skill, just drive there, cocksucker
>>
>>340676134
Doomsday Zone was trial and error. If you didn't magically know where the good Ring pickups were, you were fucked, despite your avoiding skills.
>>
>>340674927
Problem with this was it was literally the only difficult part of the game fuck his arm positioning. If you fucked up, it's back to the beginning of the game for you.
>>
>>340679976
Rings are broken.
>>
File: a.gif (254 KB, 165x115) Image search: [Google]
a.gif
254 KB, 165x115
>>340680834
>actual arguments aren't a skill, just strawman, dipshit
>>
>>340681108
>please dignify my retarded blithering with an actual argument

No.
>>
File: Unknown_Combo_(Animated).gif (548 KB, 100x74) Image search: [Google]
Unknown_Combo_(Animated).gif
548 KB, 100x74
>>340680185
Pen spinning is a skill, despite not getting you money.
>>
>>340680112
>Non-pattern bosses
Name 10
>>
>>340680445
>practice
Its not practice. Its memorization.
>>
>>340677659
>Find out the code is hard as fucking balls to input correctly

I was older than you (thirteen, I think, too lazy to look up the year but it actually came out on my birthday) but I was also super mad at that code. I still can't do it.
>>
>>340681427
>i have no proper counter-arguments and my strawman didn't work so i'm just gonna resort to name-calling
(You)
>>
Level select.
>>
>>340681795
I can do it after about 5 tries and turning the controller sideways. Still fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>340677659
I remembered the Sonic 2 for over a decade after I stopped playing it. No clue about the Sonic 3 one, I only figured out there was a code much later.
>>
>>340681520
By non pattern I mean bosses you that atleast react to your position or atleast use attacks in a non-predicatable way so you atleast have to react
>Bowser from Mario 6
>Titan Dweevil from Pikmin 2
>Revolver Ocelot from MGS
>Any boss in a sports or racing game
>Any boss in a turn-based RPG
>Master Hand
>Cyberdemon from Doom
>Goht from Majora's Mask
>Dingodile from Crash Bandicoot 2
>Specter from Ape Escape

There?
>>
>>340674927
Back when this game first came out, I had this friend that had this game. She would regularly beat the game by herself while I struggled with it. She was like a year or two older but she would beat it like once a day. I was in awe of how good she was at games then.
>>
Sonic 2 was the last Sonic game to be actually hard. The final boss is pretty hard, and it's easy to mess up and hit his claws while trying to hit him, and if you mess up once, you're dead.

Sonic 3 had the save system, and so did the games that came after, plus they're much more forgiving.
Only Eggmanland has been really difficult since then, though my problems come mostly from the fucking frustrating Werehog cat walk sessions.
>>
File: 1435334399471.gif (428 KB, 200x183) Image search: [Google]
1435334399471.gif
428 KB, 200x183
>>340675838
Am I the only one who doesn't get this barrel meme? I never had problems with that barrel even as a kid
>>
>>340682247
>Cyberdemon
Just stop.
>>
>>340675310

ebin :^)
>>
>>340682625
Some people were really fucking stupid and couldn't figure it out. I was like 6 or 7 when the game came out and figured it out immediately. I didn't realize people had problems with it until I came here.
>>
i just thought it was really tough?
>>
>>340674927
More like, why did we put up with it back then?

Forcing you to restart the game from the beginning if you die too many times doesn't do anything to make the final boss more difficult. It's a cheap way of padding the gameplay out learned by devs who cut their teeth on quarter-munching arcade games.

These days games that intentionally waste our time with shit like this are rightly looked down upon as grind-filled bullshit, but when we were young we didn't know better.
>>
How many of you liked this boss race as kid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj0z6e7-yrU
>>
>>340681864
I had a "proper counter-argument". You said something brainless as fuck and I called you out on it. It's not what I would call an actual argument of any sort, because you didn't set yourself up for one. You weren't correct, your logic was offensively stupid, and all you can do is point out the nature of my responses as if you deserved anything better. You didn't, and you still don't. Your original point was still a humiliating display of your idiocy and you've done nothing to change that.
>>
>>340682625
>>340682853
To be fair, at no point during the stage do they tell or show that you can do that on the barrel.
>>
>>340682968
>More like, why did we put up with it back then?
>we
Yeah, you're not fooling anyone.
>>
>>340683129
It was also literally the only thing besides Sonic himself that ever made any use of momentum at all. It's not like the game was full of vine-swinging platforms or anything, everything else was hit-and-go; springs, brick wall passages, enemies, etc.

It was weird to just suddenly have a level asset that, without warning, made use of your vertical momentum in such a key way.
>>
>>340682968
>having to go back to the beginning of a 2 - 3 hour game because I ran out of lives is unfair

(You)
>>
>>340679231

Megaman Zero is not all that hard.

I beat them with no cyber elves and at least A Ranks and I suck at games
>>
>>340683227
Sonic 2 was my favorite game growing up. I liked it more than S&K and 3&K; I actually used to like 2&K best, at the time the idea that cartridges could work that way blew my mind.

I used to love climbing to the top of walls in Chemical Plant in 2&K and sailing over the top-clipped collision geometry to breeze to the end of the level.

And that boss fight was total bullshit. Going back as an adult I beat it, but it was still objectively bad design.

Taking away the rings wasn't so bad; Sonic 2 on GG never had rings in its Act 3 sections, so most of the boss fights were one-hit challenges (oh god, that fucking cannonball-spewing pincher-worm in level 1 was the bane of my goddamn childhood). That's a fine way to design a boss.

It's just that the idea of limited continues was a broken holdover from the days when "continue?" meant "give me more money". Forcing the player to start the whole game over if they got hit 3 times was a bad design choice.

Something even the devs knew, BTW, which is why in 2&K they added 3 rings to the opening hallway of that fight.
>>
File: 1445942544739.jpg (26 KB, 300x295) Image search: [Google]
1445942544739.jpg
26 KB, 300x295
>metropolis zone
>those fucking mantises placed directly at the top of a platform
>crabs with the extending claws and the piss small hitboxes
>those fucking starfish
>trying to run that nut up a bolt while surrounded by starfish
>>
>>340677659
Earning at least 10000 points in a level will give you a continue.
>>
>>340674927
>game is about going fast
>obstacles everywhere so you can't go fast
>if you play the stage often enough to memorize its obstacles, you will eventually go faster each run
>reach your death point quicker
This makes actually sense
>>
>>340683936
>Finally clear Metropolis Act 2
>heave a sigh of relief
>wait, a signpost?
>Metropolis Zone: Act 3
FFFFFFFFFFF
>>
>>340674927
>be me
>have 40 lives
> first time make it there with all 7 emeralds
>took 36 lives to beat him
30 facking 6 lives
>>
>>340674927

by playing it over and over and perfecting it. I beat sonic the hedgehog 2 when i was in the 4th or 5th grade
>>
Why can't they make new sonic games 2D like the old shit? Classic sonic games were great even today
>>
>>340679976
>He doesn't know about sonic 2 & knuckles
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrl0lxyaJug
>>
>>340678436
why did they make this boss so fucking easy in 3&k
>>
File: 1457229169715.png (9 KB, 480x454) Image search: [Google]
1457229169715.png
9 KB, 480x454
the og sonic the hedgehog was the hardest out of all of them

>play the game 50 times
>never get past starlight zone
>get to scrap brain once
>game over in 10 seoncds
>>
File: 1450111935401.gif (636 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
1450111935401.gif
636 KB, 443x332
>Just learned about the Sonic 2 level select from this thread
i beat the final boss anyway when i was a kid but damn
>>
>>340676628
found the casual
>>
>>340685845
You have to be very precise with your jumps on this boss if you plan on not getting hit.
>>
File: 1465364321695.jpg (68 KB, 839x627) Image search: [Google]
1465364321695.jpg
68 KB, 839x627
>>340686805
You never know how much you need Spin Dash until it's not there. The original Sonic the Hedgehog was hard as balls
>>
File: 534136994.png (119 KB, 301x288) Image search: [Google]
534136994.png
119 KB, 301x288
>tfw had to autistically farm lives in the starter levels just to avoid a game over in the oil and mountain level
>>
>>340688012
>he cant get past the oil level and hill top zone without losing a life
What a fucking casual, has expected from a frogposter
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.