[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
has anyone here beaten this fucking game. . . ? and if so, is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
has anyone here beaten this fucking game. . . ?
and if so, is it even worth it? I've been playing for around 10-12 hours and while it's fun, it's fucking challenging as shit and I'm trying to decide whether it's worth my time or not. thoughts?
>>
>>340600958
Do you like the puzzles? If not, no. There's no real story, until the end. And even then it's like three lines and you go "oh, really?" when you figure out what's taken place.
>>
>>340602717
What is the story?
>>
Why'd this ResidentSleeper the video game get 10/10s?
>>
>>340603118
The way I interpreted it was that you're basically a Sisyphean figure. You're solving all the puzzles to get to the end just to have it all reset for you to do them again. All the tapes that are just telling you to let go and stop looking for things right in front of you? They're basically telling you to stop looking for puzzles.

That said, I actually enjoyed the puzzles and thought the environmental ones were pretty creative.
>>
>>340603198
Probably because people found no weaknesses. I mean it's a 10/10 for me. One of the best new games this year (the other being the banner saga 2). But then again i haven't paid a penny for it
>>
I got all 11 lasers.
How do I get underground?
>>
>>340603642
You mean for the extra part? Take a closer look at the box at the top of the mountain.
>>
Does this game prove SJWs can make good games if they just don't try to force their agenda into every game?
>>
>>340603801
This game is forcing an agenda, but it's the agenda of the scientific method, which skeletons can't handle.
>>
>>340603312
I hated the environmental ones because they were so fucking finnicky to get to line up properly.
>>
>>340604031
Yeah, I'll give you that on some of them. Like having to ride the boat back and forth for a bunch.
>>
>>340603801
Johnathan Blow is an SJW?
>>
>>340604136
He's a full on faggot, I will say that much. He was having a bitchfit on twitter about piracy when he was also raking in the money like crazy.
>>
File: le innocent negro.jpg (9 KB, 179x282) Image search: [Google]
le innocent negro.jpg
9 KB, 179x282
>>340603801
Not by my estimation, because it's a shit game. It's literally just maze puzzles from the back of a cereal box made by a fucking spaztastic san francisco queer for pretentious purposes, and people are lapping it up like it's angel jizz or something. If anything it's an interesting example of what hype can achieve. Johnathan Blow is the smuggest video game developer who has never made a good game.

But that's just, like, my opinion man.
>>
File: 2016-02-10_00001.jpg (171 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-10_00001.jpg
171 KB, 1920x1080
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>340604351
I don't get it. What are you seeing? That's the temple, right?
>>
>>340604136
>>340604271
he's anti-GG and constantly shitposts about how he's better than stupid racist peasants and how people who """""harass""""" women online shouldn't be allowed to exist and other puerile vanities of his demographic. he's less of an SJW and more of just a go-with-the-flow sort of asshole and the flow currently happens to be radical feminist
>>
>>340604480
the fucking stick. Holy shit, I wanted to kill myself/Blow when I finally saw it.
>>
>>340604632
I don't understand. Maybe I didn't get far enough? It can't be a puzzle because there's no start point.
>>
File: 2016-02-01_00001.png (2 MB, 1152x648) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-01_00001.png
2 MB, 1152x648
I liked it quite a bit. Yeah it was up it's own ass with the audio logs but the puzzles progressed well and often used the environment in some clever ways.

I thought this was pretty funny.
>>
>>340604736
It's the last of the puzzles in the Temple. You line up branches with the screen to see how you are supposed to draw the line, but the last one has a missing piece which is that little twig on the floor. I spent hours trying different angles, and eventually just fucked off and did like 6 other areas before coming back and finally figuring it out. They only other fuck me moment like that was the greenhouse stage.
>>
>>340600958
You're playing the best game of 2015 and best game in the past 15 years.
>>
>>340600958
>is it even worth it?
Absolutely not. The puzzles are too fucking annoying to slave away at only to get some pretentious bullshit as an "ending".
>>
>>340600958
You will have a blast up until you abruptly stop having fun. I'd say it's worth it if you like really cool environment design and neat puzzles.
>>
This man was not meant for this world.

Truly one of the greatest creators to touch the medium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTQeee7Mw18
>>
File: 2016-02-24_00001.jpg (230 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-24_00001.jpg
230 KB, 1920x1080
Is actually a method for this one or are you literally supposed to brute force it?
And the the next puzzle, which is like the hardest in the game besides the challenge, does nothing?
>>
>>340606153
There is a method to it, yes. Have you done the sound puzzles in the woods?
>>
>>340606292
Yes but there's no sound in that room, the speaker is broken, unless there's something I missed.
>>
>>340606361
And let me guess it's something insane like your footsteps like the hedgemaze.
>>
>>340606361
Nope. I don't know how to explain without giving it away, so I'll give it away. The two have to match. Make the up/middle/down pattern on the left match the small/medium/big dot pattern you make on the right.
>>
>>340600958
If you enjoy programming or want to know how it metaphysically feels to be a programmer, you will love this game. If the prospect of that sounds like a red flag, you'll probably not like it much.

The game subtracts all superfluous elements like music, characters, cutscenes, action, etc. to be entirely focused on the game itself and its themes of isolation and self-reflection. It abandons you, but teaches you the rules subtly and subliminally. There is an overarching narrative, but it's subdued and backseated more so in that it's loose enough to be interpretive and allow for self-insertion. An understated masterpiece in game design, everything is meticulously crafted, organized, and positioned to have a distinct purpose with clear attention to freedom. You are completely free to play as you want, going wherever you want at your pace. Though, akin to learning, discovering or creating a programming language, there are foundations that you must know first before building upon further.

When you are consumed by the Witness, you learn about yourself, you learn your limits, you overcome them, you learn how to examine problems from different angles, and to reflect on not only your environment but yourself. Personally, I love this game and am proud of what Jonathan Blow has accomplished after so many arduous years. The excruciating detail shows and the experience is surely worth $40. Hell, I would've paid $120.
>>
>>340603198
"Gamers" are mentally challanged in the logic department. There's people who honestly had trouble with Undertale's puzzles, I guess they're the same people here thinking this puzzles book slapped on a dead world is any interesting.
>>
This 'game' changed my perspective on life. All that I can say is that there is a lot more here than just puzzles. I've had something of a spiritual awakening - or at least I've really put science and my own personal atheism under the same microscope that I once viewed religion through ... and now I'm having a similar reaction to atheism that I once had with Christianity. It just doesn't hold water when looked at and dissected endlessly.

This game unlocked something inside of me that I knew to be true all along - that life is mostly a subjective and personal experience. And it's these subjective and personal understandings and beliefs that should take precedence over all dogmas - including material atheism. I had had these thoughts and hunches before playing The Witness - the seed was already planted somewhere deep inside of me that I acknowledged from time to time but mostly ignored and wrote off as whimsical feelings and musings. Feelings thoughts and ideas that are intensely personal and difficult to put into words.

I feel like the more time I spend on the Island - the better I understand the 'story' and the more comfortable I am shifting towards a more spiritual self. The more I listen to the logs and videos the better I understand them - my self - and the world around me. I am a seeker by heart so I was constantly searching for the deeper meaning and trying to understand everything but I noticed the puzzles started becoming secondary to my experience.
>>
These were not the first times I had heard some of these quotes - most of them were new though...but I had heard several of Einstein's takes on 'God' and how vastly different his thoughts are compared to modern Christianity. I knew there were differing opinions out there such as this - but never had I thought as deeply as I have now about them. One that stood out to me the most was the quote by Nicholas of Cusa that basically said in short - "Should anyone try to describe you I would know it to be false since you are indescribable". I also enjoyed Eddington and Feynman's thoughts one the subject as well. Perhaps it's not the God of my parents or my unquestioned atheism that is the end all be all to my existence on this earth. Perhaps the answer, if there is one, is somewhere in the grey areas. One that I have to search deep and far for. One that I can never draw any clear cut solution - but one that I can only get closer to understanding.

Now I know what you're probably thinking - "but this is just a video game and you had that kind of reaction to it!? pffffft". And I completely get that and I was hesitant to post my reaction to the game because of how rediculous and insane that sounds... Before I 'beat' the game I was actually frustrated at it and thought it was a failed attempt to surpass Braid. I honestly was wanting to write it off as some post-modern/art game bull at first but now I'm on my second play thought and realize this wasn't a game at all. It was all a dream - a dream that helped me to finally wake up.

Thank you Jonathan and to everyone that helped create this 'awe'-some game. It might have been the most important one 'I' ever played.
>>
File: 1323491999079.jpg (25 KB, 302x263) Image search: [Google]
1323491999079.jpg
25 KB, 302x263
>>340600958
>there are people who spent 40 dollars to walk around, solving newspaper puzzles
>they could've done just that by buying a puzzle book at a dollar store, then take a walk in a nature trail or zoo
>these people will defend this decision
>>
>>340606751
>>340606937
pretty subtle and realistically johnathan blow-like, plenty of people will take this seriously
>>
>>340606751
Is this a joke?
>>
Much like movies took us inside the mind of John Malkovich, or great works of film took us inside the dark world of Brad Pitt's sensually charged world of vampires, or books that built the world of the charming businessman Christian Gray, "The Witness" takes us by the hand and guides us roughly, painfully at first, but then with growing anticipation, into the depths of Jonathan Blow's sex fueled addiction to methamphetamines.

Great puzzle games pose significant but mortally overcomable logical challenges, as we reverse engineer solutions from a procedural sequence of rules. The Witness takes this one step further. The rules are not always known, and an equal part of the puzzle is even understanding what the rules of the puzzle even are -- and much like David Fincher's "The Game", the fact that you only get to experience it once "for the first time" is a deep regret. That it takes place in on a graphically gorgeous island is merely a bonus. Though the story transcends even the most meta of meta at times, you might be forgiven for being skeptical. Jonathan Blow is not merely channeling the spectral ghost of Stephen King's The Dark Tower and protagonist Roland Delacroix, but has instead become his spiritual sucessor, weaving his personal challenges at constructing a decade long 7th wonder of puzzle into a public offering for the mass market. His talents will speak for themselves.

I am highly critical when it comes to puzzle games, but as a puzzle enthusiast, The Witness has become a core component of my psyche along with a short list of other greats. Zachtronics. Deadly rooms of death. Saira.

Is it worth $40 to a general audience? Maybe not. But I feel it was time very well spent. And if you are a cool person who likes great mental games, this is a game for you. If you do not like it, please, don't tell me. Because I won't like you any more. Good day.
>>
>>340600958
The game has a "very positive" on steam.

What the fuck do you think, retard?
>>
File: The witness STILL salty.png (14 KB, 640x130) Image search: [Google]
The witness STILL salty.png
14 KB, 640x130
REMINDER:

TALOS PRINCIPLE WAS RELEASED AT 40 DOLLARS AND NO ONE COMPLAINED

REMINDER PORTAL 2 WAS RELEASED AT 50 DOLLARS AND NO ONE COMPLAINED
>>
>>340607973
Isn't Portal 2 only like 6 hours at max?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.