[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the most tragic and pathetic story of 2016 in gaming?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 11
File: nostalrius.jpg (24 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
nostalrius.jpg
24 KB, 800x600
Is this the most tragic and pathetic story of 2016 in gaming?
>>
>>340595661
But thats not the PS4 exclusives line up for current year.
>>
>>340595661
What is the pathetic part?
People having fun and playing an online game that you don't like?
>>
>>340597035
>What is the pathetic part?
The part where it as closed by Blizzard.
>>
>>340595661
Yes.
>Loads of people having loads of fun! Wow! Its too much fun for us all to handle!
>Blizz comes and shuts it down. No fun allowed.
>>
>>340597278

People realize Blizzard has to protect their IP. If they don't then they are retarded. Memes aside, they did what they had to do.

Blizzard is reacting differently than they have in the past, which is nice. The planned 2 hour meeting they had with the Nost team (that actually ended up going 5 hours) is a good first step.
>>
>>340595661
>kill off popular private server so blizzards own "pristine" servers look more appealing
>these prisitne servers dont even run older wow versions all they do is disable, heirlooms, any boosters, dungeon finder and transmogs
>>
>>340597035
In the real definition of pathetic, deserving of pity.
>>
I miss the vanilla armor aesthetic, outside of high level/end game gear it was pretty subdued and generally looked like something a warrior/rogue/etc would wear.
>>
fuck GRIZZLY
>>
Yeah nostcucks are pretty pathetic
>>
>>340595661
Blizzard feeling threatened by a private server was pretty pathetic not to mention the constant whining about the server being taken down was pathetic as well.
>>
File: be-nana.jpg (148 KB, 640x1452) Image search: [Google]
be-nana.jpg
148 KB, 640x1452
>>340597607
You don't lose your copyright if someone uploads your work in free access. It's a fucking myth. The reason they did it was hubris and feeling threatened. When your subs are at 3 millions or less and some shitty private server gathers almost a third of that in registered accounts together with 12k+ players daily on a single server and about 150k active players that would have only grown in time (the number was probably twice that around the time Nost was being closed) since they had plans for AQ and Naxx together with opening another server later, that's when you either admit that you've fucked up and the direction your game is taking was poorly thought out. Or you start destroying everything in a massive damage control campaign. Guess which path the "we can do no wrong, you think you do, but you don't" entertainment chose.
>>
>>340597607
>People realize Blizzard has to protect their IP. If they don't then they are retarded. Memes aside, they did what they had to do.
Top fucking kek, Blizzard don't have Vanilla servers, they already lost this players.
Also they officially sold old servers once.
>>
Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind why so many people are anti-legacy servers?
Does it boil down to "stop liking what i like" or is there more to it? For example, it's not like I browse the bnet forums daily but anytime in the past that I've seen a post asking about the possibility of legacy (specifically vanilla) servers, they get shot down by tons of posters who appear just waiting to call them stupid. I get that their opinion is that vanilla is shit compared to retail, but what causes the sheer hatred of the idea of people playing a different version than retail?
Do they think suddenly WoD or Legion will cease to exist if an official vanilla server launched? My first thought would be they feel resources would be diverted from where they want it (the main game) but two xpacs with two year long content droughts - i'm not sure resources are being used for jack shit in retail anyhow.

I'm a moron so it's entirely possible i'm missing some obvious argument so that's why I'm asking.
>>
>>340598197
You lose trademark protection.
>>
>>340598406
>Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind why so many people are anti-legacy servers?
Blizzdrones.
>>
>>340598406
>Does it boil down to "stop liking what i like
Er, i meant "stop liking what I don't like". I'm dumb.
>>
>>340598406
it boils down to stop whining and grow up
>>
>>340595661

They guaranteed that I will never give blizzard another dollar.
>>
>>340598406
Because if more people played the older version the player base and Devs would have to come to actual terms that the current game is trash. At least Jagex fucking embraced old school since it ended up being stupidly popular. Probably their best move in the last 5 or 6 years.
>>
>but muh IP
blizz could just issue licenses to private server hosters and have them legally run these old versions that blizzard hasnt been making use of for over 10 years now.

at the end of the day i dont care either way. i'll keep playing on my cozy tbc private server and laugh at blizzcucks who pay money to play farmville.
>>
File: 1461428528731.png (609 KB, 1644x720) Image search: [Google]
1461428528731.png
609 KB, 1644x720
>>340595661
STAY MAD
>>
>>340598406

They can't handle even the idea that people might realize how big a pile of flaming shit the current WoW is.

Its easy enough to just go "YEAH WELL VANILLA WASN'T ACTUALLY AS FUN AS YOU THINK IT WAS" when there's nobody actually playing Vanilla, but if there were actually Blizzard-supported legacy servers where people were actually enjoying themselves, suddenly these Blizzdrones' entire worldview would just come apart at the seams.
>>
>>340595661
tfw modern wow doesn't fill that empty hole in your heart and you can't get invested in another pserver
>>
http://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44218
>>
It has to do with $$$
>>
>>340598406
because the people who are still playing retail are mostly those who didnt play original wow, either because they were too young or because they were too dumb/casual to survive in old wow.

people saying that old wow is better than new wow makes them super butthurt because new wow specifically caters to them with all the dumbing down, all the convenience and all the antisocial changes.
>>
>>340598740
which tbc server are you playing?
I check the wowservers reddit once in awhile but it always seems to be shills shilling shills and any server that anyone mentions is immediately called shit -- it's hard to tell what's real and what isn't. I don't have time to level on one only to find out it's too crappy.
The last I saw l4g and vengeance were mostly ok but I don't know how legit that is.
>>
>>340598406

Blizzard gets threatened when they realize that their game from more than a decade ago had better growth, by literally just recycling the old content, than the game they have running now.

But whatever, the writings on the walls for Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo, the literal fucking scions of their genres. Hearthstone and Overwatch are the new blizzard.
>>
>>340598772
>current WoW players
>education
>>
File: 14655319013001.png (970 KB, 1279x720) Image search: [Google]
14655319013001.png
970 KB, 1279x720
>>340597607
This
>>340598197
WRONG

Blizzard allowed dota2 to exist because they didn't see anything wrong with it. Then they wanted to name their moba Blizzard DOTA. Volvo told them to fuck off. Blizzard went to court and court told them that they didn't protect their dota trademark so it became public property. Heroes of the storm is a better name but Blizzard learned their lesson. They probably wouldn't have been able to use leoric the king skeltal in heroes if they didn't force valve to change their king skeltal into king ghost
>>
>>340598406
>40 year old dads does not have enough time to grind pots, raid and actually play the game

There is a reason why everyone who plays WoW currently is either a 12 year old or 40 year old.
>>
>>340599306

That's really not the same thing. DotA was NEVER Blizzard's to begin with, Valve just thought to grab the actual copyrights on the name before Blizzard did.

This is not really the same thing as the private servers.
>>
>>340599306
Why is she so perfect?
>>
File: 1451839690094.jpg (31 KB, 573x609) Image search: [Google]
1451839690094.jpg
31 KB, 573x609
>>340599306
>Blizzard could have picked up Dota anytime and made a shitload of money
>Instead they let Riot and Valve take it and make it big
>Make a shitty version of it instead.

Literally MILLIONS missed and now in Riot and Gaben's pockets.
>>
>>340598406
Memes aside
1. Player segregation. WoW did a good job keeping the community on the same level.
2. Lack of progression. The game will need to be updated eventually. There's a certain amount of fun being gone once you complete naxx 20 times and have the best gear.
3. Blizzard doesn't wanna admit defeat. Self explanatory.
>>
File: 1464467016768.jpg (67 KB, 766x807) Image search: [Google]
1464467016768.jpg
67 KB, 766x807
>>340599506
Because she's not real
>>
File: smugray1.jpg (26 KB, 460x404) Image search: [Google]
smugray1.jpg
26 KB, 460x404
>>340595661
It's pathetic, that's for sure.
And by that I mean the Nostcucks.
Sorry that you stopped playing years ago and suddenly got interested in it again only to be told to fuck off.
But go ahead and act like screaming children when you don't get your way and get mad at Blizzard because you don't want things to change.
The game and playerbase has moved on and left you in the dust, quit trying to act like you were always there.
>>
>>340599306
Hello Chris.
>>
>>340599523
H-hey heroes is the best moba out there
it has the best graphics and interactive environment

No but really I like it more than the others
>>
>>340599602
Love how the 3dpd western shit drawing has a man jaw kek.
>>
>>340599114
im on l4g

its fun, but it has its share of problems. frequent disconnects (although they have gotten less common with the recent updates), lag and high latency during peak hours, occasional minor bugs like broken quests, some tuning issues in raids.
overall, i'm having more fun than i had during the entirety of mists on retail (havent played there since, quit months before wod release)

people in dungeons actually talk, people socialize like back in retail tbc days. by the time i hit 70 i had over 20 people on my friend list, and 2 days after hitting 70 a tank in a dungeon group complimented my healing skills and offered me a guild invite - now im part of their guild, doing karazhan 2 days a week and 25man one day a week.

it's not quite as perfect as i remember retail tbc from 10 years ago - the bugs and server issues do take away from the experience a little. i'd say it is about 95% as good as retail tbc was - for me, that's good enough and beats any other mmo that's out at the moment by a landslide.
>>
>>340599756
It has its charm but it feels too slow and simple for me. If it didn't have the Blizzard characters in it the game would've flopped even harder than it already did.
>>
>>340599306

Blizzard had no right to Dota, just the assets and names which were in the WC3 engine.

They ignored it for a decade despite it absolutely dominating the TFT custom game scene and then when someone actually invested in it (Valve) they pulled every single lawyer they had to reclaim rights and it was thrown out, only a few names and a model had to be changed for Dota2.

And then Blizzard went absolutely jew on their new custom games eula which strangled SC2 custom games in the crib.
>>
>>340599306
>their dota trademark

it was never theirs to begin with
only after the success of dota2 did they change their terms of use and made any editor creations property of blizzard.
now nobody makes new maps in blizzard games anymore
>>
File: wow-sub-numbers-1024x342.jpg (42 KB, 1024x342) Image search: [Google]
wow-sub-numbers-1024x342.jpg
42 KB, 1024x342
>>340599681
>The game and playerbase has moved on and left you in the dust
It's more like playerbase starts to leaving WoW in the dust.
>>
File: 1464500111416.gif (4 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1464500111416.gif
4 MB, 320x240
>>340595661
>Have fun playing videogame
>Blizzard comes by
>no stop it what are you doing why are you having fun go back to paying for our game
>>
>>340599681
>The game and playerbase has moved on and left you in the dust

have you seen the sub numbers?
the game has changed, and consequently the playerbase has moved on and left WoW in the dust.
>>
>>340595661
No, but as long as we're on about it, what Valve's done to Dota over the last 5-6 patches might be.
>>
>>340597035
People trying to recapture, or capture, that feeling of old WoW with a completely skewed, almost romanticized view of what it truly was. And trying so hard to convince themselves of this seems pretty pathetic to me.

Vanilla WoW was good, but it wasn't some great pinnacle of MMOs it's often regarded as. It's time to move on. Besides, given the current state of the industry and the general change in mindset of people over the past decade it's impossible to recapture that old feeling of WoW. It doesn't matter how accurately you recreate the dungeons, the grind, and everything else. The community is vastly different now to what it was 10 years ago. People have become to used to this shift with modern WoW into a more self centered form of progression. Where you just mindlessly grind for hours while only having to deal with other people out of necessity, rather than actually wanting to work with others.
>>
File: 1458766644434.png (15 KB, 568x568) Image search: [Google]
1458766644434.png
15 KB, 568x568
>/v/ shits on Youtubers and e-celebs all the time for taking what's not theirs and making a profit off of it
>/v/ defends Nostalrius which are the Youtubers in this case and shits on Blizzard which are just a company trying to defend their IP
The level of hatred /v/ has for Blizzard is far past logical.
>>
>>340600020
>that huge spike/drop in WoD
God, they really fucked themselves. I wonder if they are taking those lessons to heart or if they are doubling down and don't care anymore. It doesn't feel like Legion has nearly the same amount of hype (as in bringing back past subs) as WoD had, I suspect the spike will be far less this time.
>>
>>340599702
Who's your favourite Warcraft character?
Just asking for no reason

>>340599763
The image is trying to explain that 3d is all we have but 3d is shit so the only answer is suicide

>>340599861
I don't think it's slow since you don't have a 29 minute farming phase where all you do is last hit minions. But yeah the only thing keeping it alive is the characters. At least until the new ranked system that doesn't put 70% of the players on the highest rank
>>
>>340600250
The new Legion info seems all over the place.
There are some good changes and than some really awful changes aswell.
>>
>>340600178
>>340600020
It's almost like WoD is a shitty expansion. The game was great in MoP, and it was by far one of the best expansions.

>>340600250
The problem with Blizzard making WoD is that they tried to appeal to all the nostalgiafags that loved BC so much, though the lack of content doesn't help either.
>>
>>340599880
>>340599937

Generally I absolutely loathe the use of this word, but if I were ever to bring it up, I would definitely have to say Blizzard got absolutely cucked by Valve with Dota.

And I find it just absolutely delightful in every single way.
>>
>>340600184
>Doto 2
>5-6 patches
It's supposed to be the most tragic story of current year, not current year + 3 previous years
>>
>>340600191
>it's impossible to recapture that old feeling of WoW

nost successfully did it for hundreds of thousands though

it's funny, the only people yelling "IT CANT BE DONE STOP TRYING" are the fags who dont want it done in the first place. meanwhile people actually proved that it can be done by simply doing it, and it was so successful that butthurt activision jews had to destroy it to prevent being embarassed by its success.
>>
>>340600436
Slap on a subscription fee and it'll be successful for a short amount of time.

They'd rather put the resources somewhere else. Like finding ways to jew you even more.
>>
>>340595661
I had a few characters on Nost that got purged along with the server. I decided against heading over to Kronos though because it seems to me that if everyone from Nost just goes there, it will be the next target on Blizzards death list. I'm waiting for a fresh server to open up and I'll hop on board for that. I heard that ClassicWoW was one such server but their update status has been stuck at 75% for months now so I don't know if that's a lost cause. A shame.
>>
>>340600235
Nostalrius pieced together content that was no longer available from Blizzard and it took them a fair amount of time and personal involvement.
They acted as an actual developer team tackling real problems faced in mmos such as development of a security system and constantly micromanaging resources according to their server.

Something a youtube blogger who spits out the same words as if they are their own shitty opinion when it's just another shitty opinion will never actually do which is work.

It's not illogical to hate a company who lied through their teeth and said shit that was very possible and treating it as an impossibility while commending the fanbase to divide and spit venom at each other. It's not like Blizzard are not total and complete cunts.
>>
Nostcucks are pathetic, yes.
>>
Nostcucks are as bad as modern blizzcucks.
One slurp ups the cum of an old as fuck game that will never be in it's prime again and any derivative of it would fail in the modern MMO market.
One slurps up the cum from neo Blizzard's dick.
Both are insufferable faggits.
>>
>>340600387
Shill, please.
>>
I guess. i tried out nostalrius for a bit. It was decent, couldn't see any mobs unless you were standing on them though.
>>
>Playing Vanilla
>Choose Warrior
>Hit sunder armor and go AFK

wew ladssssssssssss
>>
>>340600396
>The game was great in MoP,
Nope, it's floping since Cat.
>>
>>340601680
>really awful changes aswell
Reading comprehension skills aren't up to par nostcuck.
>>
>>340596041
I would lose my shit if they announced legacy, but only for the ps4.
Chinese moot would have to shutdown all of 4chan the day it was announced.
>>
>>340601791
MoP actually had the first surge in WoW players mid expac for neo WoW. SoO/ToT were legit good as fuck raids. Some specs were mechanically the best they were ever in the entire history of WoW.(dat 5.4 Arms Warrior UNF)
Too bad SoO overstayed it's welcome and was followed by a really bad expansion.
>>
>>340597607
>The planned 2 hour meeting they had with the Nost team (that actually ended up going 5 hours) is a good first step.
the only reason they had a meeting in the first place was to convince retards like you they cared so they'll stop complaining loudly on the internet
they're going to do either absolutely nothing or some incredibly watered down measure which nobody cares about
>>
File: WoWScrnShot_091414_205026.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1018) Image search: [Google]
WoWScrnShot_091414_205026.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1018
>>340602126
Be careful anon, there are people on here dedicated to shitting on MoP

We should see someone emptying their bowels in a couple minutes because it's fucking hilarious
>>
>>340602126
>surge
a rise from 7.5m to 7.6m, which immediately went down again in the next quarter? great 'surge' bro

mops entire design was trash. pandas are trash. chinashit everywhere is trash. garrosh is a trash 'villain'. the only good thing about mop were timeless isle and throne of thunder, everything else was mediocre (first set of raids) or straight garbage (everything else)
>>
>>340602358
>>340602430
See what I mean?

Funposting is just too irresistible to the simple minded
>>
>>340595661
LITERALLY WHAT, pcuck...

only you fatsoes know what this is
>>
>>340602487
>>340602487
and again

so many brilliant brains on this board
>>
>>340600191
>It's time to move on, you're not allowed to play older games, there's no way for older games to compete with current titles and anyone saying otherwise is nostalgia-googled romantic.

> you just mindlessly grind for hours while only having to deal with other people out of necessity

And that's exactly what made game good and forced EVERYONE to humble themselves and behave in polite manner, today it's 'UGH Is that x-ist literally raping MY mobs? Guess I'll just teleport to solo 5 level higher elites with auto-attack somewhere else.' which was not possible because 'teleporting somewhere else' took up your hourly heartstone and then you had to travel which again took time since no mounts before 40 and because soloing elite quests was almost impossible especially with class without pet, old WoW GAVE you reason to socialize, modern WoW give you reason to solo, GW2 makes you solo in groups.

Old WoW, Nostalrius included, had sense of belonging.
>>
>>340602913
>old WoW GAVE you reason to socialize

this
old wow literally forced everybody to socialize if they wanted to get anything done.
>group quests
>dungeons
>raids
hell, even regular leveling and questing was so hard that grouping up offered a real benefit to everyone involved.

also, the lack of cross-server shit meant that your reputation on the server was important. this effectively gave everybody a strong incentive to behave well and cooperate with people instead of being an antisocial asshole and fuck people over.

together, this gave rise to a great sense of community and pleasant interactions with people on the server.
>>
>>340598197
>that's when you either admit that you've fucked up and the direction your game is taking was poorly thought out. Or you start destroying everything in a massive damage control campaign
Or you ask how many players on that private server are boots

Or you understand that the game is in the dry season as people wait for the next expansion
>>
>>340604040
>Or you understand that the game is in the dry season as people wait for the next expansion

The game is in a permanent dry season with literally two or three days of rain each patch before people finish the content.

Do you genuinely believe that legion is going to stop the downward trend that has been ever present since the start of cataclysm?
>>
>>340604227
No but it will see a spike

And do you genuinely belive that the numbers for Nost would rise any higher or not have its own decline?
>>
>>340604346
they were still on the rise when it was shut down, even though their hardware was already overburdened and lagging like fuck during peak times
>>
Urgent reminder that this private server would still exist to this very day and be up and running if it wasnt ran by literally cuck BBC eating french surrender monkeys.
t. warmane shill
>>
>>340604450
Sure they were
>>
Im for legacy servers but i wont play them
After replaying vanilla and bc so many fucking times on so many servers i really cant be fucked to just perpetually replay the same content
>>
>>340602126
I hated nearly all of MoP but damn if ToT wasn't god tier
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.