[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A lot of first person games feel like you're a camera bobbing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: FurstPersom.jpg (47 KB, 1047x640) Image search: [Google]
FurstPersom.jpg
47 KB, 1047x640
A lot of first person games feel like you're a camera bobbing on a stick with a bubble around you for collision. The movement feels wrong. A bit too smooth maybe? It feels like skating. Interaction also tends to be empty. Actions just don't have realistic weight or movement to them. This doesn't make them bad, it just feels weird to me. Looking for some good example of more natural movement.

What are some good first person games (shooters or otherwise) that feel really natural? Aspects of Receiver come to mind. Not just the overly detailed gun mechanics (though they are neat) but the way the gun moves in your not-hand.

Have no games in mind so I drew some loverly art.
>>
>>340590496
gfu for making this thread
never encountered these problems
>>
Socom tried to mimick natural movements which made the character you were controlling appear to have weight.
>>
Jurassic Park Trespasser
>>
>>340590496
Arma 3
>>
>>340590979
Trespasser has always intrigued me. Obviously it turned out to be a big mess but I've always wondered if aspects of it were salvageable/useable in a better made game.

The way you get to interact with objects in Frictional Games' games, for example.
>>
GTA V's first person is great
>>
Why would you actually want this? I mean whats better than zooming around a map in Doom blasting shit? Or weaving your way through a curtain of bullets with nothing in the way of realistic physics to hold you back from having perfect control in a Cave game?

Anyway, just yesterday I was playing something that worked like this, not sure if it was an FPS, it worked so accurately that it annoyed me to an extent. Can't remember what it was at all right now. It was crazy though, it was like you could feel every step.
>>
Killzone 2 had the whole weighty realistic movement. Surprise surprise everybody hated it and they dropped it on all future installments.
>>
>>340591639
Doom is fun. Blood was always more of my jam. Grew up playing Monolith FPSs mostly. I still like that style of play for what it is.

Environment interaction is the best way to describe why I want this though. I want to feel like the world in the game is a physical object. I have only ever felt like this in a select few games and they're mostly, if not all, third person games. The heft of climbing a Colossus in Shadow of the Colossus, or doing just about anything in Dragon's Dogma. I've never been more immersed in a game than in Gothic II because of how you can interact with just about anything and play a fitting animation for it.

I'm just interested in if that feel is possible in first person. Not interested in finding something 'better' than classic FPSs, just something different.

Also not particularly interested in VR yet, even though it is supposed to promise this.
GTAV is actually an interesting example because it was designed to be a third person game, then was given a first person camera, but it kept all of the third person interactions.
>>
>>340590860
gfu for exposing your trip
never encountering you again
>>
Red Orchestra 2
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.