[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just got back from seeing the Warcraft movie. I used to be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 9
File: warcraft.jpg (254 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
warcraft.jpg
254 KB, 1600x900
I just got back from seeing the Warcraft movie.

I used to be a huge Warcraft buff, and I'll explain my thoughts.

SPOILER FREE!!!

The movie absolutely nails how everything happened, but it blatantly didn't have enough time to explain every detail and everything about the demons, the fel, etc.

All minor characters and plotpoints are absent, but it doesn't feel lacking. There is absolutely no way to pack all of that into one movie, especially when the movie already was clearly running out of time to make the plot comprehensible to people who didn't play the game.

The movie sets up World of Warcraft almost perfectly, there's only one flaw I can think of that isn't a reasonable change or omittance, and I'm not even positive if it's a real mistake or not.

It's a retelling and fleshing out of the basic Warcraft story, leading into the events of WoW and it does it's job amazingly well for anyone with knowledge of WoW lore.

I tried to picture the movie with only knowledge the movie itself would lend me, and it would come across as totally atrocious. I can see how people are shitting on it when they go in with no background knowledge.

If you like Warcraft, you'll like the movie.

If you love Warcraft, you'll fucking adore the movie.

I'd give it an 8 or a 9, and I'm excited for the rest of the series.
>>
>>340575862
I had to stop watch it as it was so gawd damn cringy, the orcs look weird, especially the females. The humans are painful to watch act. That larping archmage
>>
>>340576831
Dude it's Warcraft.
>>
File: 1421271053669.gif (2 MB, 250x220) Image search: [Google]
1421271053669.gif
2 MB, 250x220
>>340575862
>mailto:SponseredbyLegendaryPictures
>>
it wasn't terrible. I'm not an actor so I don't really have an opinion on whether someone is acting badly or not.
>>
>>340578405
>it wasn't terrible. I'm not an actor so I don't really have an opinion on whether someone is acting badly or not.

>I'm not a chef so I don't really have an opinion on whether this pizza tastes good or not
>>
>>340575862
There were a few things that didn't happen the same as in the the strategy game

>The whole assassination of Llane
>Blackhand's death
>the fel corrupts instead of demon blood

and a few other things. The movie definitely did not show the whole first war
>>
That acting felt really great to me, I'm not sure what people thought the awkwardness was.
>>
>>340575862
>>340553345
You can chime in.
>>
>>340575862
>spoiler free

We have spoiler tags for a reason.
>>
>>340578971
>caring about spoilers
following the games, everyone knows what would have happened by now
>>
I like warcraft, I hate world of warcraft.

Am I included or is it for the faggots who played the mmo for 15 years
>>
>>340579263
This is warcraft 1 with bits of small changes.
>>
>>340579323
nice
>>
>>340575862
Nice post pajeet
Anyway, if you like warcraft go see it
if you are a lore fag don't see it as it make you tear you fucking eyes out
if you don't care about warcraft, its a 6/10 at best
>>
>>340575862
>The movie absolutely nails how everything happened
Except... it has retcons in it...
>>
>>340579084
>everyone knows what would have happened by now
The orcs don't destroy sw in the movie.
>>
>>340579263
The latter. It's basically what little WC1 had for a plot remade with most of the WoW changes to certain events, with liberties taken here or there.

Like having fucking flying Dalaran in it.
>>
>>340579804
The only real retcon is that the dark portal is closed while SW is still standing, so it is unclear as to if this is the end of the first war, or the end of the first AND second war lore-wise.

They can't possibly have a sequel without moving on to Lordaeron next, so it's clear that the next movie will clear that bit up.
>>
>>340575862
>sets up World of Warcraft

Is this actually a shill? It's fucking Warcraft 1, there's two games between that.
>>
>>340579263
Dalaran is already floating.
No Ner'zhul.
No demon blood.
No Shadow Council, Gul'dan is warchief.
Stormwind is not razed. Alliance is formed anyway.
Garona is already an adult.
There are guns.
>>
>>340580016
>The only real retcon is that the dark portal is closed
I'm also referring to the retcons from WC3 which have now been retroactively applied to WC1. And eventually they will ruin WC2, the one I care about the most
>>
>>340575862
>If you currently like Warcraft, you'll like the movie.
>If you currently love Warcraft, you should actually consider suicide.
FTFY
>>
>>340579804
Protip: every warcraft game since the first one has retconned older games
>>
>>340580390
explain to me how WC2 retconned anything
>>
>>340578635
Fucking food analogies never fail.
>>
>>340580094
Don't forget
Khadgar not being part of Kirin Tor and not being Med's apprentice
Llane not getting back stabbed
>>
>>340575862
Is arthas in the movie?
>>
File: 1404963572787.png (465 KB, 400x444) Image search: [Google]
1404963572787.png
465 KB, 400x444
Warcraft III started this fucking mess of noble Orc bullshit, it's just a mess of retcons now
>>
>>340575862
>The movie sets up World of Warcraft

You know there were 2 more games before WoW, right?
>>
>>340575862
that's pretty much how it went
>two people shown in posters
>but there's like 5 or 6 main characters
>but if they gave each character a well thought out backstory it'd be longer than two hours (would probably be more like the hobbit if they did)
>and they have to get to the action
>which is really well done
>but the CG is shit
>and the story is sub-par but kind of fun at times
>there's a ton of nods at the playerbase for WoW with some bits only fans would get
>but if you aren't an active player or have never played warcraft they don't make sense
>there's barely any humor in the movie, it's way too grimdark and takes itself way too seriously

I personally enjoyed it...not sure I want another one though...a lot of people in the theater with me were mostly teens and adults who left with mixed reactions on their face and most threw out that "free warcraft trial!" voucher

you know...if this movie had been released in like Vanilla or maybe beginning of BC it'd probably be on par with LOTR as a timeless classic. But today there's way better movies with way better CG in them so imo it just falls short of the mark.
>>
>>340579263
The movie has almost nothing to do with Warcraft 1 and barely anything to do with the already retconned Warcraft 1.
It's just a bunch of retcons over the old retcons.
>>
>>340581030
>there's barely any humor in the movie, it's way too grimdark and takes itself way too seriously
this is why i haven't cared about WC since 3, when i saw they had sucked all the fun and humor out.
>>
>>340580906
Not in blizzard's modernized canon.
>>
>>340580458

Well literally everything in the human campaign didn't happen
>>
>>340581391
>this is why i haven't cared about WC since 3, when i saw they had sucked all the fun and humor out.

Despite WC1 and 2 being super serious all the time and being played 100% straight? Only WC3 and Starcraft 1 were the pre-modern blizz games that joked around.
>>
>>340581835
choosing one of two endings for your sequel isn't a retcon.
>>
>>340582024

No I mean the whole campaign, not just the ending.
>>
>>340582010
you're hilarious dude, epic

all the fun unit-responses from WC2 were completely omitted in WC3, they lost bill roper's badass narration, and the plot started trying to take itself hella seriously

SC1 to SC2 saw a similar thing happen, everything started being so self-serious
>>
Let me tell you guys this about this movie: every single human is miscast. I wonder if I am using the correct word?

In the theater I was watching this old ancient wizard played by a late 30s something year old, and a wizard's apprentice played by a cosplayer that walked on to set. A wise king played, again, by a respectable actor but why is he forced into this unsuiting role as a young king? The main character is the worst. No starpower! Ben Foster and Dominic Coopeer (the miscast wizard and the king) could have done much better!

The human side is what drags down the movie. You fall in love with the Orcs, then the humans assault you with self-serious dialogue and monotone performances.
>>
>>340582224
>all the fun unit-responses from WC2 were completely omitted in WC3

Literally every unit in 3 had poke lines
>>
>>340582407
yeah and they're boring and dry
>>
>>340575862
>>leading into WoW
>caring about WoW
>wanting anything to do with WoW ever getting an adaptation
>not being excited for the 2nd and 3rd wars
How does one be such a huge faggot, OP?
>>
>>340582224
Literally every unit in WC3 has multiple joke responses.
>>
Holy shit this movie had like the worst pacing.
>No care for character introduction
>Go to stormwind now goldshire, random murloc for laughs, go to elwynn, now fly here

Holy shit it was so rushed in the beginning but there was no explanation for shit if you were new to this.
>>
It was bad. You either saw a different movie or are lying.

I know I'm really reaching here, but is this movie just another part of Blizzard's retcon crusade? They seem to really be shifting and shitting on parts of the lore, moreso than usual, lately.
>>
>orcs arent blood thursty/red orcs
>they are "noble" people

xDDD but this movie was good guys

fuck off reddit niggers, warcraft universe is dead with retards like op breathing and sucking up blizzards shit.
>>
>>340575862
23% on rotten tomatos

nah ill pass. blizz hasn't put anything out worth a damn in over a decade anyway
>>
>>340580094
Garona was magicly aged by Guldan and Brainwashed in WC1 you mongloid. And this is a movie adaptation of the games. Its not retconnig anything in the same way the newest seasons of GoT are not retconing the actual story. Its and adaptation with seperate cânon and some story changes. The fucking LOTR movies also wherent 100% faithfull to the books.

>inb4 ooga booga blizzdrone
>>
Warcraft died after BtDP

Anyone saying otherwise is either a wowfag or a millenial
>>
>>340582910
>Look at me maw! I'm shitposting!
Why bother, my man?
>>
>>340575862
The movie was complete shit. The props were shit. The actors were mostly all shit. Guldan played by some shitstain asian with a terrible voice ruined his character.

The orcs looked cool, the magic looked cool, everything else was shit.

It's the same treatment the new Star Trek got, it's a Warcraft movie for non-warcraft fans.
>>
>>340580016
>SW is still standing
That's a huge fucking retcon there.
>>
>>340580094
>No Ner'zhul
That's the biggest offender to me. Mostly because he's cool as hell, but also because they've shot themselves in the foot for sequels because if they don't explain Ner'zhul it'll be that much harder to explain the Scourge and the Lich King in the next couple of movies.
>>
>>340575862
How much do they pay you for viral marketing?
>>
Yeah I watched it too and it was great. I'm an amateur director and I can tell that the direction was done stylishly and with a lot of decorum. The CGI was nigh-perfect and everything just clicked, you know? The actors were stunning and the set was marvelous!

All in all it's a 10/10 movie, bring your whole family!
>>
> if you know your lore
Sure thing senpai
>no Stormreaver clan or Shadow Council
>Gul'dan is apparently the leader of the horde
>Doomhammer is a Frostwolf
>Blackhand dies in honourable combat and not backstabbed
>Gul'dan doesn't end in a coma when Medivh dies
>Doomhammer doesn't become Warchief
>Stormwind doesn't get razed, Alliance formed anyways
>orcs are honorable warriors that dindu nothing wrong
>firearms in the first war
>Llane begs Garona to kill him, dies in battle
>Fel magic corrupts instead of demon blood
>Dalaran already floating
>No Ner'zhul
>Khadgar not being part of Kirin Tor and not being Med's apprentice
>>
>>340583661
I don't remember Ner'zhul being in the first Warcraft at all but I played it 20 years ago so..
>>
Fuck you, the movie is 3/10 at best. It fails at storytelling, pacing, acting, editing, and special effects. It fails for being a decent movie. What the fuck Zowie Bowie? Why did you let Hackzen to wrote the script?
>>
>>340583906
Neither was Gul'dan.
The first Warcraft game had Lothar, Llane, Garona, Blackhand and that's it I think.
>>
>>340584042
Ah fuck I forgot Medivh.
I don't think the named characters count went to 10 anyway.
>>
>>340575862
>The movie sets up World of Warcraft almost perfectly, there's only one flaw I can think of that isn't a reasonable change or omittance, and I'm not even positive if it's a real mistake or not.

>It's a retelling and fleshing out of the basic Warcraft story, leading into the events of WoW and it does it's job amazingly well for anyone with knowledge of WoW lore.

Who the fuck gives a flying shit about WoW lore. Any story written by blizzard past TFT has been shit
>>
>>340584042
>>340584176

I honestly only remember Blackhand and Lothar because I used to doodle them in class.

nohomo
>>
>>340583906
Yeah but video games can take as much time as they need for that shit, and movies can't.
>>
>thousands of lore discrepancies
>they advertise the movie like all of the other shitty legendary movies that have came out for the past 6 years
>but it's a good movie guys

I havent seen it yet, but just from the images I puke. fuck blizzard for releasing this atrocity.
>>
>>340584761
trailer was terrible
>>
File: fel orcs are red.jpg (627 KB, 968x1494) Image search: [Google]
fel orcs are red.jpg
627 KB, 968x1494
>>340575862
>All those lies
>Marketers think people are that retarded
>>
>>340584754
Yes they can. It Warcraft. They were going to make a fucking ton of movie on it regardless of what they did. But instead of giving us a solid, well thought out product, they gave us a terribly rushed miscasted pile of shit.

The forced exposition, the shitty scenes, the shitty acting, it's all B-movie tier garbage. It felt like watching I was watching Power Rangers.

Warcraft has great depth, really well written characters, and there are great examples of Fantasy done Right.

This isn't even Hobbit tier level of garbage, it's worse.
>>
File: red orcs BTFO.jpg (70 KB, 508x376) Image search: [Google]
red orcs BTFO.jpg
70 KB, 508x376
>>340586019
>>
>>340580094
You missed

>Garona is half human and heavily implied to be Medivh's daughter
>>
>>340586483
She was supposed to be half human before WoW changed it.
>>
File: 1436557412331.jpg (25 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1436557412331.jpg
25 KB, 300x300
>tfw you actually liked it
>tfw you will forever be known as a shill for liking a comfy movie
I guess I deserve it kind of.
>>
>>340583075
>23% on rotten tomatos
Even though I think it should have less than that you know it would have a 90+ if this was marvel shit.
>>
>>340575862
just got back from watching it.

6/10

cgi isn't as bad as ppl make it out to be, but the movie is still pretty mediocre
>>
>>340583805
>spend your whole life trying to make movies
>at 45 you're already relegated to making video game adaptations
Holy fuck that's sad.
>>
>>340588059
I'm pretty sure the director did the movie because he's a Warcraft fan.
>>
>>340588695
That's even sadder for him but at least I don't feel as bad for him now if he did this to himself.
>>
I saw the movie even though I knew nothing about warcraft. I liked it a lot.

Made me wanna play WC3 that has been sitting in my wardrobe for 7 years
>>
>>340580839
Shot of him in the Blizzard logo followed by Tracer
>>
>>340583894
Forgot Khadgar losing his youth
>>
>>340588874

What's sad about it? Making movies is fucking fun. Doesn't matter if it's shitty or not, the process is so much fun and such a unique experience, I suggest you try it out for yourself.
>>
>>340575862
Here's your (You), retard.
>>
So, I haven't seen the movie, but according to bits and pieces I've managed to read about it, someone tell me if I got this right
Gul'dan is never implied as having any greater forces backing him, and the Burning Legion is probably not a thing.
What about Medivh? What's his role in the movie? Did they change much from his established role?
>>
>>340590840
Garona mentions hearing Gul'dan talking to a demon at one point though she doesn't see it and near the end Medivh transforms to full on demon mode for a little bit which I'm assuming is an avatar for Sargeras
>>
>>340580094
>There are guns.
What are dwarven riflemen
jesus christ
>>
>>340590840
Garona says Gul'dan saw a demon(Medivh).

Medivh admits to being corrupted by fel and having blackouts and gives in. Doesn't drain Khadgar's youth
>>
File: IMG_0222.jpg (28 KB, 340x445) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0222.jpg
28 KB, 340x445
>>340575862
Was this actually paid for by Blizzard?
It's a bad movie. I can't believe these posts are even popping up. Are you the same faggots who like Fallout 4 and MGSV?
>>
what exactly did Khadgar do to cause that massive shockwave that stopped Medivh?
>>
>>340587725
Its' a much worse movie than Civil War, so I don't really know what you're talking about.
>>
>>340591482
Fucker access the Light
>>
>>340575862
>nails how everything happened
>stormwind not sacked
>portal closed
>khadgar not medivhs apprentice

I liked the movie but wasn't THAT faithful to source
>>
File: image.jpg (130 KB, 750x721) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
130 KB, 750x721
LOL
>>
>>340575862
hello shill
>>
Honestly there's no way this movie could be good even to a Warcraft nerd.
>>
I'm probably going to go see the movie this weekend. This movie is a retelling of the original Warcraft right? Should I wait and boot up dosbox and play Warcraft 1 first? I played WoW for 7 years but never touched the RTS games.
>>
File: 1464112828577.png (257 KB, 600x471) Image search: [Google]
1464112828577.png
257 KB, 600x471
>>340575862
>>
>>340594134
sure, it's not that bad.
>>
I never played much warcraft aside from 3 and I enjoyed it.
>>
>>340594134
The first game is really light on story, and whatever story was retroactively applied to it, this movie seems to mostly disregard, so it's not bound to make much of a difference. And as an RTS, its UI did not age very well.

You could do it for novelty's sake, I suppose. Although the second and third games are very solid games in their own rights
>>
>>340575862
>SPOILER FREE!!!

No, please, spoil away. My care for this movie is
>>
>>340578741
They had to give the good guys a victory, even though the whole point of the first war is the humans getting their shit kicked in.
>>
>>340575862
It's mediocre in so many ways. Warcraft fans are probably to sperg out, since it really feels like it was inspired by the lore, rather than being an adaptation of it

In terms of cinematography, this thing feels like it was done on auto-pilot. It's pretty at times, but cinematography encompasses much more than that.

It's mediocre in both narrative and cinematography.
>>
>>340594732
I think they went with the human campaign route, when the later games mostly reference that the orc campaign route was canon?
>>
>>340580906
You mean 3, 4 if you count TFT.
>>
Shoulda came out 5 years ago
>>
>leads right into WoW
Uhhhh
That's not how it works
>>
>>340595820
In the Human campaign the humans still got their shit kicked in.
>>
>>340596265
Did he say for the alliance or for azeroth?
>>
>>340598505
This
It was a break even ending
>>
Srsly, people:

Warhammer ded

Warcraft a shit

how do I fantasy?
>>
>>340598508
Both
>>
>>340599439
DUMB

The Alliance wasn't made yet

fuck

And dat asian high elf
>>
Llane lets Garona kill him. Medivh frees himself from "demonic corruption" and closes the portal. Stormwind isn't sacked. Thrall gets a Moses scene. Orgrim is still pushed as being a decent orc. Orcs is just good people being controlled by dat evil Gul'dans. Dindu nuttin.
>>
I thought this was a decent fantasy film. It wasn't your typical summer blockbuster fun-fest shit, but instead it was rather deep into the Warcraft universe.

Pros:
>Gul'dan a bad motherfucker
>Khadgar starts to really show his power level
>elves and dwarves
>they travel by bird like 15 times
>polymorph
>Durotan is great
>Medivh pretty awesome
>Dark portal
>music is pretty perfect
>effects look good

Cons:
literally everything else
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.