[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are video essays the worst trend to befall video games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1464432752786.jpg (82 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1464432752786.jpg
82 KB, 640x640
Are video essays the worst trend to befall video games?
>>
>>340571745
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LueVmefY_Kg

>Dark Souls is about being birthed from the womb and spending the rest of your life fighting your father represented by the sword swinging alpha male to return to your mothers vagina

Yes
>>
>>340572247
Not going to give him clicks, whoever that is, but from the title and the greentext I can't tell if he's saying it with a straight face.

I have encountered flood of 'theory' videos, be it movies, comics or video games where the same kind of monotone voice points out the obvious and regurgitates a wikipedia passage or two while shoddy montage plays in the foreground.
>>
>>340572762
Oh and they always have a patreon link in the description. Mathewmetastasis got like a grand a month for talking about what he sees on the horizon and then not doing anything, not even more of the same. Consumers are video games's worst enemy.
>>
that sounds pretty autistic, just like the "REEAL TRUTH BEHIND SPONGEBOB" creepypastas
>>
>>340572890
Yeah but those were basically outsider montages at this point, these people now are like a cheap version of those 'Batman and Philosophy' type books where you take a simplistic subject (like Batman or a video game or a Batman video game), take a theme from it (why doesn't Batman kill Joker) and then google concept of guilt, humility, mercy, Jainism, Taoism and/or Jungian archetype and drone about it with a pop up every 15 seconds to keep the millenial on his toes.
>>
>>340573186
Watchmen and Philosophy was good though.
>>
You guys hate these youtubers so much but forget it's the people who are giving them views.
>>
>>340573390
Every single one of those books follows the same premise.

>>340573734
But I did blame the consumers.
>>
I'm sick of "analysis" videos on games. The pseduo-objective rhetoric really rustles me, as well as all these intellectual frameworks that people use to examine stories

"oh the character never went through an arc of development, ergo the story is objectively bad"

a prime example of this bullshit is that video on New Vegas related to "shandification"

the guy spends something like twelve minutes to say "I like New Vegas because the world was built realistically, with respect to how it would function as a real place with real systems, and not just for player functions."
>>
>>340571745
why is she so cute lads
>>
>>340574217
Fortunately that guy in particular quicky outed himself as another gender studies grad but most of them persist, more or less successfuly. It is the same old tired concept of finding a buzzword, making it a centerpiece and then finding enough stuff you can lift from philosophy, sociology, lit theory to be able to talk 5 minutes about.

Not video games, but look at this captain obvious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbMj9f0mcBA

First (or second video) and patreon link is already pasted below. They're like 'patrician' version of facecam people, same kind of parasitic 'content' masquerading as original thought.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.