[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Horror Game General numale edition reminder that Frictional,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: godawful.jpg (418 KB, 2400x1600) Image search: [Google]
godawful.jpg
418 KB, 2400x1600
Horror Game General

numale edition

reminder that Frictional, the most prominent western horror developer sees gameplay as an obstacle to the 'experience'.
>>
Giving someone control automatically lessens fear. The only choices you should be given in the perfect horror game (PT) are looking around and moving forward/backward.
>>
>reminder that Frictional, the most prominent western horror developer sees gameplay as an obstacle to the 'experience'.

The argument Gripp makes is that the brain doesn't have an infinite capacity to think about things, so some things will be focused on and prioritized over others. From that, the conclusion is that if you want a game world to be immersive, you can't have super dense game mechanics. The mechanics will be brought to the mental forefront, and the things that make a game world immersive will fall by the wayside.

Games with dense, difficult, intricate mechanics can exist in the same world as immersive games that focus on the story and experience, one's existence doesn't exclude the other.
>>
>>340562638
Imagine how much scarier it would be if you couldn't look around or move. It really enhances the feeling of helplessness.
>>
File: F13Game.jpg (59 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
F13Game.jpg
59 KB, 1280x720
anybody excited for the friday the 13th game? I know multiplayer only sucks but I guess it could be fun
>>
>>340562738
No, Jubert literally said that gameplay needs to be removed if it starts hindering progress. As for your last sentence, it goes against everything Frictional stands for.

>>340562638
>Giving someone the chance to escape, a modicum of agency VS monster rather than to remain passively ensconced on the couch somehow lessens fear

Can't argue with that logic.
>>
>>340562797
Stop being a stupid person. The player has to have limited control to explore the environment and encounter the frightening. If the monsters/whatever come to you, it's a movie. If you have to make the decision to walk forward and investigate dark corners, that generates real fear, because you are performing an action that puts 'you' (the meta person between your physical self and the game character) in danger.
>>
>>340562861
>Streamer game genre

Another type of horror altogether.
>>
>>340563086
Control of the situation you subhuman. Running away isn't control, but an automatic weapon is. A crowbar is.
>>
>>340562738
>the conclusion is that if you want a game world to be immersive, you can't have super dense game mechanics.

And you actually believe this to be true?
>>
>>340563324
>Running away isn't control

It is, and the proper term to use is interaction.
>>
>>340563418
Super dense game mechanics in 2016 are almost always associated with menus. Clicking through a menu isn't scary, and doing so surrounded by monsters is just frustrating.
>>
>>340563086
>No, Jubert literally said that gameplay needs to be removed if it starts hindering progress. As for your last sentence, it goes against everything Frictional stands for.

I'd be willing to bet he was speaking in terms of making an immersive experience, not making an all-inclusive statement for every game ever made.

The people at Frictional aim to make immersive games, other game developers don't. I don't get what your point is. That they should start making mechanically intricate games because you say so?
>>
>>340563198
was asking as more of a friday the 13th fan
>>
Did they ever release the statement of why it was cancelled?
>>
File: lakeview[1].gif (73 KB, 620x305) Image search: [Google]
lakeview[1].gif
73 KB, 620x305
Anyone played the Lakeview Cabin Collection?
I've only played the first two episodes, but its a pretty interesting mix of horror and Home Alone strategy setup.
Hard as fuck too.

The graphics can be a little triggering though.
>>
>>340563641
>Super dense game mechanics in 2016 are almost always associated with menus.

Where are you getting all these awesome soundbites from? I want to redefine my knowledge of core video game tenets.

>>340563673
I wouldn't be willing to bet, he's a post-structuralist faux intellectual finding his niche in video games and calling himself a narrative designer.

When you avoid gameplay, you do not make the experience more (or less) immersive. You can see through Frictional's bluff straight away and their jump scare simulators don't work on any level. They should be kissing the feet of facecam people for making them zounds of cash.
>>
>>340563782
It's going to be a generic 'survival' game, flavor of the month among kappa crowd. As a fan most you can hope for is a 3D Jason model running around.

Play Deadly Premonition if you haven't.
>>
>>340563418

To an extent, yes. I'm pretty sure you'd have a hard time making a game world immersive in, say, a complex RTS.

I'm not saying every single game should be a walking simulator. The idea is that if immersion is your aim, complexity in mechanics is a cost. There are myriad scenarios where the addition to the experience is more than worth the cost (I can list examples if you really need me to), but it's still a cost.
>>
>>340563837
I can't anon, I can't stand anymore western pixelshit.
>>
>>340564181
Do you realize how broad of an term 'immersion' is? It was properly ridiculed when Bethesda started throwing it around to create buzz around Fallout reboot or was it Elder Scrolls, nevermind.

I can look at games that I consider 'immersive' and list you the exact things that make them click, but I cannot make offhand remarks about how deep mechanics represent a hindrance in the broadest meaning of a term.
>>
>>340564164
the kills look like they might be cool thats always been the attraction to the franchise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SzdJx5xjbE
>>
>>340564273
You should try it though, its a pretty damn good representation of horror movies and just how fucking hard it is to live through em.
>>
>>340564075
>When you avoid gameplay, you do not make the experience more (or less) immersive.

What are you basing this argument on? You're stating this like a fact but I don't see any ideas backing it up.

>You can see through Frictional's bluff straight away and their jump scare simulators don't work on any level

What levels are you judging them on? I mean, their games are both profitable and critically acclaimed, what exactly are you looking for?
>>
>>340564075
Do you have an actual disagreement, or can you give me another witticism? I collect 4chan posts.
>>
>>340564893
If you're the menu guy, it was my way of saying that you're fucking retarded.
>>
This house looks really comfy.

#goals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__i_LoRKhJ0
>>
>>340564980
That wasn't witty. Swearing just makes you look unimaginative.
>>
>>340564273
I understand, don't worry man.
It definitely looks nicer in motion though.

>>340564609
This.

The first episode is pretty straight forward cabin-at-the-lake scenario where you have a day to just fuck around and explore before shit starts going down.

2nd episode throws you right into broken-down-camper-in-the-backwoods where the nearby houses are infested with a psycho family who get high off of human entrails.

Even with those graphics, it has some seriously tense as fuck design elements.
>>
>>340564706
>What are you basing the argument that the games need to be judged as individual cases rather than on dubious definitions on

Really?

>What levels are you judging them on? I mean, their games are both profitable and critically acclaimed, what exactly are you looking for?

Bluff being that the player soon sees that there is no threat involved, dissipating the 'terror' altogether.

>critically acclaimed

Please don't bring industry blogs into this.

>>340565095

At least I didn't claim that 'dense' mechanics are associated with menus. You must think Paradox is the best gameplay designer out there.
>>
>>340562107
>Frictional, the most prominent western horror developer sees gameplay as an obstacle to the 'experience'.
There's nothing wrong with that. You play a horror game for the scares, not for the gameplay. If I wanted gameplay, I'd play Quake or Devil May Cry or Sonic the Hedgehog.
Puzzles are alright in horror games, but even then, they're not the main focus.
>>
>>340565329
What is there to be scared of if the game is impotent? Would STALKER be scary if Bloodsucker got removed after you fail several times at killing it? Or if you turned away from it? We're talking about the concept of threat and Frictional's bluff here, not about gameplay mechanics.
>>
>>340564436

The idea is that the brain will prioritize. Since the mechanics are the more immediately demanding problem, they will be thought about before how involving and absorbing the game world is.

The conclusion to this idea is, at least in my opinion, definitely NOT to just make every game a simple walkabout that takes zero effort. The idea is to just be very discerning about adding complexity if your aim is to build a game world that draws the player in and melts the fourth wall. Again, I can think of plenty of cases off the top of my head where adding complex mechanics actually help build the game world. To bring it back to the thread topic, ammo rationing is a very good example. It's a game mechanic that, when executed correctly, can add a huge layer of paranoia to every encounter, thereby enhancing the feeling of dread that a horror game would try to imbue.
>>
Why is this guys house so filthy and grimy?
>>
>>340565245
Dense mechanics are menus, hard numbers and long term strategy associated. Remembering button combinations isn't 'dense.' That's simple mechanics applied to faster and faster opponents.
>You must think Paradox is the best gameplay designer out there
Are you for real? Your credibility just exploded with that random assumption.
>>
>>340565565
Why are you bringing some sort of neurological mumbo jumbo (because that's what it is) into this argument? This isn't some high level psychology, especially when regarding Frictional's idea of horror (something screams in the dark). About ammo rationing problem - I can't think of a game that made use of this properly, it sounds great on paper but let's take a game like Silent Hill for example - after first few hours, you just run away from everything and save shells for the bosses. Resident Evil? Stepback, knife, save ammo for the bosses. Etc.

>>340565752
>random assumption

You mentioned menus, not me.
>>
>>340565458

All games are impotent, my dude. There is no way a video game can actually hurt you. Any feeling of terror that a video game can impart is purely a deception.

Their argument is that removing that enemy actually enhances the deception. Whether or not you agree with that is up to you but at least try to understand where they're coming from.
>>
>>340565565
Ammo rationing is a 'turn the game off' mechanic. If I feel like I'm going to run dry and get made a fuccboi by ten enemies at once, completely unable to progress, I won't care anymore. There's no point in starting an 8+ hour horror game that doesn't guarantee success.
>>
>>340566212
For fucks sake, 'my dude', I never implied that the game becomes so immersive that I feel like it can hurt me, not even when I was leaning sideways from monitor as the Doom 2 Cyberdemon shot at me.

My CHARACTER in Silent Hill faces a real threat that has to be run past / killed / wounded in order to get to the next part of the game, make progress. My character in Amnesia needs only fail for a bit and the game will accomodate. There is no deception once you figure this out.
>>
File: 1455581165962.jpg (34 KB, 418x475) Image search: [Google]
1455581165962.jpg
34 KB, 418x475
>>340562107
yeah and i bet you think dead space is scarier than penumbra
>>
>>340566052
>Why are you bringing some sort of neurological mumbo jumbo (because that's what it is) into this argument?

100% of anything that a video game can do is purely neurological. If you take out the human brain, a video game is just a bunch of light and sound.

Second, it's not mumbo-jumbo. I don't think it's even bold to say that the brain doesn't have infinite capacity to process information. That's actually just pretty plain and obvious.
>>
File: 018.jpg (265 KB, 541x380) Image search: [Google]
018.jpg
265 KB, 541x380
>>340566245
>There's no point in starting an 8+ hour horror game that doesn't guarantee success.
>>
>>340566515
Of course it is, Penumbra is barely functional on any level and if you have read more than one book in your life you'll start laughing as soon as the first exposition page kicks in.

>>340566551
I have no idea what you're about at this point, you mention extremely complex topics, even dealing with biochemistry and neuroscience in the most offhand way.
>>
enemy zero for the sega saturn had combat and it was definitely scarier to me than amnesia
>>
>>340566693
Why would I knowingly struggle to reach the end of something that could kick me in the balls and tell me to fuck off at any time? At least something like Devil May Cry gives you a chance of winning at all times if you 'git gud' enough. A game with an unwinnable state is a just a practical joke.
>>
>>340566245
>that entire post

jesus fucking christ
this is why survival horror is dead, they cater to people like this
>>
>>340567162
>A game with an unwinnable state is a just a practical joke.

This is a pretty well-agreed-upon pillar of game design. That's why I put the "executed correctly" caveat when I first mentioned ammo rationing. It's great when done well, and either completely fucked (not enough ammo) or pointless complexity (too much ammo).
>>
>>340562107
Honestly, I thought SOMA was pretty great.

Whether you want to call it a game or an experience, whatever. I enjoyed it.

Granted I think this philosophy only works in the horror or adventure genre. But it is okay at times when appropriate. Myst's focus was on the "experience", not the gameplay. It's still one of the most comfy games I've gotten to play.

It's nothing new to the industry. I just don't want it to start replacing the industry.
>>
>>340567363
You can play one and done pioneer, I want to experience the content. It's not 1980 anymore, video games have a lot to offer beyond failstate mechanics.
>>
>>340563837
I shat my pants when playing this for the first time. Never thought a pixelshit could be horrifying.
>>
>>340567681
>I want to experience the content

content shouldn't be just handed to the player, especially in a horror game
if you want to experience the content then git gud, learn to plan ahead, conserve resources, and learn when to fight and when to flee
>>
Why did Allison Road get cancelled?
>>
>>340568306
But it's not handed to you. You're choosing to forge ahead, despite how scary it is. If fear isn't an issue, it's not a good horror game or you have mental problems and can't feel fear.
>>
>>340568671
if there is nothing at stake (loss of progress, inability to finish the game due to resource mismanagement etc.) there is nothing left to fear
>>
>>340567581
Myst is quite eerie, but if Frictional designed it, it would outright tell you how to solve a puzzle after 15 mins of bashing your head against the fictional wall.
>>
Why does Outlast get praised so much
>Within five minutes of playing there is already at least three jumpscares

Startling someone =/= Scaring someone
>>
File: PT.jpg (45 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
PT.jpg
45 KB, 1920x1080
>>340569084
Let's just walk towards this thing.
>>
>>340569227
It successfully emulates bottom of the barrel horror movies. Horror crowd in general is the most retarded people you can think of gathered around something, that's why Stephen King is a billionaire and Ligotti is unknown.
>>
Why did Allison Road get cancelled?
>>
File: SoSpooky.gif (320 KB, 215x194) Image search: [Google]
SoSpooky.gif
320 KB, 215x194
>>340562107
Anyone hear about Year of the Ladybug? It sounds like an interesting project, but I feel like it'll fall through altogether.
>>
>>340569387
except you are actually punished in P.T. for not doing well
you don't get to see the real "ending"
>>
>>340569797
They sold their 'game' to Team17 and it got cancelled shortly after. Either Team17 are idiots or they wanted the assets.

>>340569837
I'd love to see some gameplay.
>>
>>340569797
They switched from Kickstarter to a publisher, so I'm assuming that it's a creative difference or something.

We really won't know until either party says.
>>
>>340569954
I wouldn't count P.T. as having a conventional ending. It's random guesswork to receive a trailer.
>>
>>340569837
It's just two idea guys drawing concept art. At this pace it'll never be made.
>>
Anyone else like the Strange Men games?

The voice acting in Boogie Man was fucking awful though holy SHIT. The main character had the voice of a 13-year-old boy trying to sound tough.
>>
>>340570724
I only played halfway through the Boogieman: Is it any good? Not feeling the weird sequel vibe of the thing so far, should have had an all new cast.
>>
>>340562107
>>340562738
>>340563086
>>340563418
>>340563673
>>340564075
>>340564436
>>340564706
>>340565245
>>340565329
>>340565565
>>340566052
>>340566245
>>340566442
>>340566728
>>340567162
>>340567459

No, Gripp said that players can't focus on mechanics and get emotionally invested at the same time. It's why they give Tetris to people with PTSD and games don't have plot twists in the middle of firefights.

SOMA is a "walking simulator" because the gameplay needed to be simplistic to adhere to his "Four Layers of Narrative Design", which you can google and is basically the reason the game took so damn long.
>>
>>340570613
It'll be cancelled by next year, but it's fun to speculate about.
>>
>>340569415
>Ligotti
He was nominated in many awards. If we're talking about obscure horror writer then look no further than Arthur Machen of Robert Chambers. People nowadays might call them Lovecraftian even though it's Lovecraft who emulates them.
>>
>>340562861
>i donated to this
>so far it's looking bad
at least i donated to Yooka Laylee too

There's a sliver a hope still
>>
>>340570846
Ehh, it's alright. I'd say it's probably the weakest of the series so far though. The final boss is a joke. Granted so were the final bosses in Crooked Man and Sandman but this one is even more of a joke.

Also, genuine spoilers here, it's not the actual Boogie Man, it's the tour director guy in disguise, killing people for a movie or something

Looking forward to Hanged Man though
>>
>>340571204
So basically it's the first half of Until Dawn? Fuck that, Crooked Man is easily the best of the three.
>>
>>340570925
>games don't have plot twists in the middle of firefights.

They do

And I did read that Frictional pseudo theory about video game design, that's why I ridicule them so much.

>>340571001
Machen and Chambers were well known during their time. Not even when Ligotti was aped in the making of True Detective did general public become aware of his work.
>>
>>340562107
The same Frictional that made Amnesia? Sheeeit, now it's easy to see why Machine for Pigs was so shit (Apart from being made by thechineseroom)
>>
>>340573487
But Amnesia was shit, its gameplay was a bluff, its 'puzzles' were childish and once you skulked in the corner a few times it got boring.

Also the breadcrumb exposition of diary pages and whatnot was poor as you would expect from that narrative model.
>>
>>340574123
I guess Amnesia was revolutionary for it's time.
Unfortunately, Amnesia gave life to copycat games and let's players.
>>
>>340573487
Have you played the Penumbra games? Same company.
>>
>>340570925
>players can't focus on mechanics and get emotionally invested at the same time.

Oh so he's retarded?
>>
>>340574292
I think your second sentence accounts for it being 'revolutionary'. Along with Minecraft and Terraria and whatnot.
>>
You know what's really scary?

When yo think you see something out of your peripheral vison.
>>
Why is the modern horror game a linear experience with jump scares only?
>>
>>340576539
Because western devs (for the most part) have no idea how to create atmosphere that is then punctuated with jump scares. STALKER was foreboding enough to create constant tension and then you had Bloodsucker and Controller encounters to punctuate it. Pathologic was ominously oppressive throughout. Silent Hill even made puzzles unnerving.

But this is not the case only with video games, American horror is dead as a dodo as well. Last good one was Resolution and even that was a found footage shitter for the most part.
>>
File: Janitors on v.webm (1 MB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
Janitors on v.webm
1 MB, 720x405
Dont know if that count? Mini game from Game & Wario.
>>
>>340577119
Interesting
>>
>>340564164
It's asymetric multiplayer.
>>
>>340562738
I agree with this. I was thinking of this recently and realized that the two most immersive games I've played (SotC and SH2) minimize player deaths a great deal. I assume this was deliberate, because if you're dying over and over to a boss then it just becomes an obstacle to overcome rather than something disturbing or beautiful. Especially in a horror game, since horror is lessened through repetition.
>>
>>340577230
>multiplayer

will never work properly as a horror game, true dread needs a firm direction.
>>
>>340562797
FNAF?
>>
>>340577251
SotC even had speedrun mode, it emphasized player skill. Silent Hill had tons of new game plus quirks and rewarded good gameplay. In fact in both games you were denied some crucial 'fun' items if you played like a slouch.

Horror is lessened if you know repetition removes the obstacle.
>>
>>340562107
I fucking hate frictional, I don't know where all the praising comes from. Konami on the other hand used to make fucking god tier horror games.
>>
>>340577308
One game is Jason, the 4 others are teenagers trying to escape alive. It's literally what the movies are. There is no plot. Just Teenagers trying to escape a serial killer.
>>
>>340577491
You never played Penumbra or the first Amnesia?
>>
So /v/, whats the scariest game youve played in the last 5-10 years? I think mine is PT, i have a hallway that looks kinda like that one and its not fun
>>
>>340577521
Point is that you cannot set up setpieces in multiplayer as you would in a single player game. Good horror requires good encounter direction.

>>340577491
I think Konami will go back to SH in a year or two, as it will to MGS.
>>
>>340577649
STALKER, no contest. There's something in single player FPS games for me considering Quake 1 and 2 made me shiver back in the day.
>>
>>340577680
Sure, but that's not what they are going for. It's Hide and Seek, where if you are found, you are killed. Brutally. It's terror and not "BOO" horror.
>>
>>340577308
>Yooka Laylee
>true dread
you obviously haven't seen the friday the 13th movies they're really exploitation films with murder sex and drugs and overall not supposed to be taken that seriously
>>
>>340577617
yes and they were awful. Almost finished all of them, even soma, and at the end I always ended up hating myself for all that lost time.
>>
Best horror games to play on PS4?

I have Alien Isolation.

Not interested in the Resident Evil HD games.
>>
>>340577812
whoops how did the yooka laylee end up on there fuck ignore first greentext
>>
>>340577839
Resident evil remake is a masterpiece tho, even if you don't like RE games, it's up there with castlevania SotN and dark souls 1.
>>
>>340577789
I wouldnt necessarily say stalker scared me, but the atmosphere was fucking intense that it gave me chills at times, especially without headphones on at night
>>
>>340578021
Nah, I disagree. Horror wise, Resident Evil is extremely low. It's more a light puzzle game with sometimes some Zombies in the way.
Also, horrible camera and controls.
>>
>>340577809
I saw that dead by daylight game since i was intrigued by the concept but every survival game suffers from the multiplayer aspect and hide and seek element doesnt' amount to much. L4D had scavenge modes that had very similar gameplay because you get goals that you must do while the other team tries to stop you.

>>340577812
Friday the 13th endured tons of tonality shifts and inevitable bowdlerization, it started as a Halloween clone.

>>340578107
Try Yume Nikki if you haven't.
>>
>>340577839
PT, though it isnt free anymore. RE remakes
>>
>>340562107
>reminder that Frictional, the most prominent western horror developer sees gameplay as an obstacle to the 'experience'.
They also haven't made a scary game since Amnesia.
>>
>>340578136
Jesus
What's your favorite horror game?
>>
>>340577474
yesh but to be a fair a lot of that kind of content was for NG+, where the experience was already known to the players. I was talking more in terms of their first time through.
>>
>>340578180
Will do, thanks!!
>>
>>340574292
Amnesia wasn't revolutionary

We (survival horror-fans) just hyped it up because the genre was so starved. Homecoming was shit, Resident Evil is action, Capcom has several other horror IPs but doesn't do anything with them, we didn't get Fatal Frame IV, Condemned 2 had more action and killed the story/lore etc.
So Amnesia comes along and the gameplay is decent, the scares are decent, the atmosphere is decent - but it is also the only new survival horror that actually is a survival horror (candles, health items, actual inventory) so we can't help ourselves, we just say it is the best thing ever because it was so goddamn long ago something that looks at least decent enough came along.

But yeah, the gameplay and puzzles are kind of minimal when you replay the game.
>>
>>340578350
To be fair, even though i loved the RE games, they really werent scary
>>
>>340578136
Camera in original RE games is a touch of genius, limiting player perspective is something that 'CCTV horror' movies never managed to reach in terms of viewer involvement and it's not because of lack of interaction.

>>340578358
Still not comparable because they required the player to beat the bosses on his own.

>>340578391
NP, just don't google anything about it.
>>
File: 1449842008297.jpg (1 MB, 1072x5000) Image search: [Google]
1449842008297.jpg
1 MB, 1072x5000
>>
>>340578136
>horrible camera
but that is part of the horror...
>>
>>340578483
That's subjective but complaining about the controls and the camera IS terrifying
>>
>>340578350
Eternal Darkness is my favorite direct competitor with RE. Better cameras and controls and combat.

Also, no pushing statues and picking up gems for 10 hours.

I like Dead Space 1, Amnesia : Dark Descent, Alien Isolation, Limbo, F.E.A.R, Outlast, The Park,
>>
>>340578563
>Killing Floor
>Survival Horror
Wow.
>>
>>340578645
I see why the controls would annoy you but the camera for ED and REmake is the same
>>
>>340578645
>combat in Eternal Darkness is better than RE combat

jesus
>>
>>340578602
>>340578602
No. It make no sense gameplay wise. There is that room in RE2 that is literally just an angle vision of You and the door when you enter a room. You hear a zombie.

How does it make sense, it a game where I'm the character, that I cant see the zombie that is 1 meter away from me?

If I'm somehow controlling a Blind person through security cameras, maybe? But not this. No. It's horrible.
>>
>>340578563
>>340578775
Oh, just saw this, too
>Dear Esther
>Horror
Wow.
>>
>>340578841
fag

go away fag
>>
>>340578609
Oh i know, I wasnt the one complaining though, i thought the camera was good (in a weird way) in RE
>>
>>340578831
No. The cameras of Eternal Darkness are mobile. If you move, they follow you around and turn. In RE it's a hard switch from Camera A to B.

>>340578836
Much better. You can control where you hit. In RE, you bodyshot 99% of the time, and if you are lucky, by accident, you'll get a headshot. In a game where if you dont headshot a zombie, he comes back as a Redhead.
>>
Does anyone know if Nightmare house 2 is any good?
>>
>>340578938
Nice rebuttal.

>>340578876
It's clearly horror. You have people movie far away, and the ambiance is pretty unnerving. Kinda like Gone Home. Gone Home is a great Horror game, because you expect it to be a horror game.
>>
>>340578841
It makes sense gameplay and horror-wise because sounds are scary and you need to rely on sound. That's it. It's not meant to be fair, just increase the horror
>>
>>340579045
You always blow heads off if you aim upwards with shotgun though
>>
You know what's always good in horror games?

Not having a health bar. Having no indication when your character is gonna croak from the wounds.
>>
File: jasonunmasked.jpg (67 KB, 652x367) Image search: [Google]
jasonunmasked.jpg
67 KB, 652x367
>>340578180
yes and it was the shifts of tone that set it apart from other slashers like Halloween and that's what people love about it we like the over the top kills cliche characters and of course undead jason
>>
File: Betrayal at House on the Hill.webm (3 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Betrayal at House on the Hill.webm
3 MB, 1366x768
>>340579208
No. It's not scary. It just make you have to shoot blind. You are a character in a room with a zombie 1 meter away, and yet, you cant see the zombie that is about to hit you because you "Reasons". It's illogical and break all immersion.

And that's not even the only room that does that. 0,1,2 all have rooms like that.

>>340579352
Yes, with the shotgun. Not with other guns.
>>
>>340579485
Well the problem is that if you do that, it's either regenerative health or just a "Well, do I take 1 healing item or two?
>>
>>340579675
No regenerative health, it's "do I heal now or use inventory space", adding to the tension inevitably.

>>340579490
Actually the franchise got less and less popular as it started getting more ludicrous.
>>
File: 173.jpg (167 KB, 1200x981) Image search: [Google]
173.jpg
167 KB, 1200x981
>>340579780
But that's immersion breaking though. Horror games should pull you in, but if you have to "guess" how many wounds you have, then it breaks it. That's why I dont like the color system of RE. Okay my health is "yellow" do I take 1 green or do I take the more potent one?

I think that if you dont put a health bar, it should either be Regenerative or be a one hit system.
>>
Are there any horror games where the horror is from trying to protect someone instead of just surviving? Like an escort mission but with Fire Emblem permadeath?
>>
File: 1435618318894.jpg (54 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1435618318894.jpg
54 KB, 500x500
>immersion
It doesn't mean what you think it does.

Immersion =/= as real as possible or "it's like I'm there!"

Resident Evil games are some of the most immersive games ever because they have you focusing on the game all the time with managing your inventory, listening for sounds, actually being challenged, losing meaning a big risk that comes with punishment (go back to previous save).

Please kill yourself and burn your shitty game-collection so it can't hurt anyone, you obviously have no taste
>>
>>340580086
It was proven to work well with Silent Hill games. The uncertainty principle, that is.

>>340580208
Not really. Ico and RE4 have decent escort gameplay.
>>
>>340580208
Well RE4 has escorts, but it's not really horror, just frustration.
>>
>>340579780
at the box office sure but fans of the series have different favorites its not like its universally accepted amongst the fans that the first one is the best some say part 6 or part 4 among others are much better
>>
>>340579576
Movie?
>>
>>340580338
No they are not. You go around and push statues, to get a key, to open a door to get a gem, to open a door, to push statues, to get a gem, to open a door, to get a key.

For 10 hours.

Really, if you are so much of a fanboy that you have to tell me to kill myself, you really cant see the flaws of the game. It's not a great game. It has cool music. But the only scary moment is a jump scare where a dog jump out of a window.

>>340580620
Cabin in the woods, Horror love letter. Highly recommended.
>>
So, what kind of game is Lisa? Is it Outlast style?
>>
>>340581123
Walking simulator with 'feels' (shitty dialogue focus)

oh and some pokeymans gameplay from millenial childhood
>>
>>340581403
Ah, sound cool. I liked The Park even if it was just a walking simulator.
>>
I think i've played every horror game for the PS2
Ask me anything
>>
>>340581848
I dont think I even played a Ps2 game. I only played 1 and 3.

Is there any good game on Ps2?
>>
>>340581974
No
>>
>>340562861
Can't wait, really.
>>
>>340582826
I'm also kinda hyped for Last Year. Another asymmetric Multiplayer game, but with a class system.

Like you have the cheerleader who can run fast, the nerd who has some kind of radio, the jock with a baseball bat, and ect.
>>
File: friendteam.jpg (47 KB, 700x438) Image search: [Google]
friendteam.jpg
47 KB, 700x438
>>340583076
>>
>>340583076
>>340583240
How can you people not see that this offers zero twist on the creativelly bankrupt survival genre?
>>
File: Last_Year_Chad_Down.jpg (785 KB, 1700x896) Image search: [Google]
Last_Year_Chad_Down.jpg
785 KB, 1700x896
>>340583553
It's not a survival game. It's a Stalker game or Slasher game. Based on Slasher movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv3U6pSbuDA
>>
File: Oculus Rift and horror.webm (1 MB, 982x720) Image search: [Google]
Oculus Rift and horror.webm
1 MB, 982x720
Anybody tried VR for horror games yet? I think it could be pretty good for something like a Walking Simulator. Just immersing yourself in the world and seeing all the creepy things around you.
>>
>>340584437
Will never work properly because of the way it controls. As the shill video you posted proves.
>>
>>340584850
>shill video

Also, why would it work? All it does is limit your view to the game and make the camera 1:1 with your head.
>>
>>340583076
The nerd doesn't have a radio. He's the only one that can FIX the radio.

The radio that lets you call the cops.

Which a dead player can control and possibly kill the killer with should they hit most of their limited shots.

>>340583553
It's more an "we have no direct way to kill this guy" game.

So the easiest thing to do is stun him when you can with the slow bruiser class and fulfill one of the multiple victory conditions. Something Dead by Dawn has a fuckload of trouble with.
>>
>>340584984
It's a shill video made for personal benefit and in hope of shilled product going viral.

It won't work because only a mongoloid would think that turning your head around rather than looking with the mouse wouldn't get tedious after 2 minutes.
>>
>>340583076
I'm hype for all of them. I've wanted a slasher based multiplayer game for years and we suddenly get 3
>>
>>340585049
>stun

horrible mechanic for a multiplayer game.
>>
>>340585125
You know you can still control the camera with your thumb right? This makes it better. Just like how the Wii U makes shooting better.

Have you even tried the Oculus or Vive?
>>
>>340571093
What looks bad about it?
>>
File: Wes-Cravens-Scream.jpg (636 KB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
Wes-Cravens-Scream.jpg
636 KB, 1200x600
>>340585210
Not really. You have one guy being impossible to kill or stop. The rest have to work together to stand a chance against you.
>>
>>340585210
It's more like a "I got a bat lemme hit this guy so he can NOT murder us for like two seconds while everyone else runs."

It's not like they can actually kill you otherwise. And it'll probably have a cooldown.

Plus, you get the L4D2 Versus spawning system where being out of their sight lets you fade out and reappear anywhere else not in their sight.
>>
>>340562638
>Giving control automatically lessens fear

Don't ever design a horror game. It will be shit.
>>
>>340581974
GET OUT OF V RIGHT FUCKING NOW JUST RUN I DONT CARE WHERE YOU GO BUT THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU
>>
>>340585410
Well it work, since Teleportation is a big horror trope. "So this zombie guy with a machete walk slower than us, who are running, and yet, by running in one direction for 1 minutes, he appear in front of us?"

Love that.
>>
>>340585476
I think he may have a future as a narrative designer. The "too gamey" argument is a nice CV addendum.
>>
What are some good recent horror games I can play? For free
>>
>>340585362
It's fine in small doses, but an entire class based on stunning the killer basically kills the idea of an actual unstoppable killer, to me.
>>
>>340585516
Because I never played a Ps2 game? I have some, just never had the time for them. Too busy playing PS1 stuff or Ps4 or NES or what ever. PS2 seem such a bad system game wise compared to Gamecube or XBOX
>>
>>340562107
I dont like horror games
>>
File: photo_05.jpg (312 KB, 800x1130) Image search: [Google]
photo_05.jpg
312 KB, 800x1130
>>340585693
Well there will probably be a cooldown. Just like how in Dead by dawn, they can block your way to slow you down.
>>
>most prominent
>Frictional
Nobody gave a shit about them until Youtube caught on to Amnesia and Soma would have been better as a novel or something.

The horror genre has been on the decline since the PS2 era and it's a fucking shame.
Let's hope Routine actually comes out and they don't butcher System Shock when the reboots and sequels release.

>>340562638
Please never get into games development.
>>
>>340581974
Literally kill yourself.
PS2 was one of the best, if not the best, consoles of all time.
>>
>>340585904
Games are so much better since the PS2 era. We have true horror now with Amnesia and SOMA instead of Jump scares and/or puzzle games with a horror theme.

Stuff like Clock Tower but in 3D is so great.
>>
>>340570925
And yet the monster sequences were the worst part of SOMA
The writing, atmosphere, and story were all more engaging
>>
File: 1464366193530.jpg (159 KB, 980x603) Image search: [Google]
1464366193530.jpg
159 KB, 980x603
>>340586072
4/10
>>
>>340578563
>The Suffering series
>Series
Ties That Bind never happened.
>>
>>340586260
I agree with him on the last part
>>
>>340586048
It's really not. It was the worst of it's era. It was only popular because it was the cheapest DVD player out there.

2 controller port the PS2, really?

>>340586260
So you dont like actual horror games like Amnesia or Alien Isolation or Clock Tower on the SNES?
>>
>>340578563
>Dear Esther
>the Suffering
But not Dead Space 2...
Who the fuck made this?
>>
>>340586645
Dear Esther and Gone Home are pretty unnerving games. Sure, they dont have actual gameplay outside of walking, but it's still great for horror.
>>
>>340586806
The scariest part of Gone Homo is the picture of the girl in military attire but she still has pink hair.
>>
>>340586806
Dear Esther isn't scary at all, unless you find the increasingly unhinged ramblings of a man scary. The narration was top notch though.
>>
File: DoomGuy.gif (400 KB, 488x519) Image search: [Google]
DoomGuy.gif
400 KB, 488x519
>>340586949
> picture of the girl in military attire but she still has pink hair
What.
>>
>>340586980
It was pretty unnerving. Even more when you see the figures. In the cave if you look inside at the right moment, you can see somebody's shadow movie.

>>340586949
Nah, it was pretty okay. You had a lot of "This game is totally a horror game" signs, that made you expect some kind of jump scares that never comes. The blood in the shower, the creepy messages, the fact that nobody is home, the candles.
It's pretty fun.
>>
File: jamesh.png (177 KB, 637x383) Image search: [Google]
jamesh.png
177 KB, 637x383
Even if it's not ideal during camera switches, do you think a '2D camera' control is a good option in these traditional survival horror games?
>>
>>340587030
This is not up to military standards of grooming and uniform.
But it's ok because lesbian.
>>
>>340587326
Are you really being triggered by a girl with pink hair in military uniform?
>>
>>340587326
To borrow their language, I'm fucking triggered by this image.
>>
>>340587304
If by "2D" you mean a static camera/perspective then yeah, sure. It's very effective and a classic of the medium.

The only real problem I have with it is when the controls flip due to camera angle and I run in the wrong direction but this is only a problem in action and not an inherent problem of the style.
>>
>>340587601
Yes its out of regulations. And its fucking dumb.
>>
>>340587601
Not a military man, I take it?
>>
>>340587601
Pink hair triggers nega sjws
>>
>>340587713
Wow. Stuff are not in regulation in a video game. You need a safe space for that?

>>340587783
No I'm not. Even if I was, it's a video games. If you are "triggered" by pink hair on a girl in Military school, then it's really weird.
>>
>>340587601
I don't use that word in that context because I'm not a millenial bitch, but it's stupid and detracts from whatever serious tone the "game" was going for.
>>
As much as I loved the The Evil Within, I still can't shake the feeling of disappointment that Tango Gamework's new game is a sequel instead of a new IP.

Will it end up making the first game's DLC ending not piss me off? I hope so.
>>
>>340587925
What country are you from?
>>
>>340587925
All melodramatic comments aside, it's just a dumb feature: What does it add for being there?
>>
>>340567581
SOMA was pretty much exactly what I wanted.

When you learn about the extended universe it's easy to tell the game got cut way back in scope, which is a shame.
>>
>>340587601

Not only is the hair pink but it also out of regulations. The total bullshit isn't even her hair but the fucking fourragere is for infantry which females do NOT rate to wear currently.

Military autism is next level autism that has no rival.
>>
>>340588030
United States
>>
>>340587968
The tone is a that a rebel girl went to military school and left. It does totally make sense that if she had pink hair before, she would just not dye it again and they would admit her. She dont have to dye her hair back brown just for school, she's just prohibited to dye it back while at school.

>>340588030
Canada.

>>340588084
Because it shows her character. She's a rebel who "had" to go to military training because that's what she was told to do.

>>340588196
It's a video game. I'm a meteorologist, I dont get angry every time Lightning Storms appear without any CB or even TCU in the sky.
>>
>>340588196
Good thing that you missed the major plot point of the game. It's set in the 90's. That's why they play SF2.
>>
>>340588442
>Because it shows her character.
You could have done the same thing with her having the "high and tight" cut; against expectations for a female, still in regulation. Just seems silly.
>>
>>340588196
I'm no expert but the service bars look off as well, especially if she's in some kind of academy or something as well.

The most blatant offense is the hair though, that's inexcusable. Nothing autistic about it.

It's like if there was a Catholoc priest character wearing a yamaka/kippah.
>>
>>340578563
Wow this thing is old
>>
>>340588442

>Canada

Imagine that shit.
>>
>>340584437
I played that game. It was alright, but I had to stop because it gave me a massive headache.
>>
>>340588774
I dont, since I'm here. I'm sorry we dont have the same Military crazyness as the US. Nobody tried to draft me, and even my Military family told me to never apply if I'm to be a soldier. I might do it for some other job though. Canadian army is loved everywhere compared to the US.
>>
>>340588889
Most reviews I seen is that it's a pretty bad game. A lot of repetition, bad map controls and it's just Slender man in a maze.
>>
>>340584437
Holy over reaction, Batman.
It'd be a shame if you dropped that nice $10,000 headset and it shattered on the floor because you're flailing away from the Minecraft-tier monster.
>>
>>340578563
Why the fuck is Planescape Torment on there?
>>
>>340589015
>Nobody tried to draft me
Yeah, there's a draft in the US every 2 weeks.
Stay wherever you are.
you're a retard
>>
>>340589142
Well it's VR. You SEE the monster. You dont see a monitor with a monster in it. You see the monster like if it was 1 feet away from you

Totally different feeling.
>>
>>340589328
Are you saying that the Military do not tries to get every teenager they can when they finish highschool? Really?

Even with the largest military in the world?
>>
File: 1465285655751.jpg (144 KB, 1280x2200) Image search: [Google]
1465285655751.jpg
144 KB, 1280x2200
>numale edition
You got that right.
>ITT a French Canadian is a faggot and defends Gone Home
I'm out.
>>
SOMA is a Outlast like game right?
>>
>>340590117
If you do not fall for the memes and go through Gone Home open minded, it's pretty enjoyable.

I know it's hip and cool to hate on it, but for 6$, it was worth it for the experience.
>>
>>340590350
You actually paid money for that shit? What the hell.
>>
>>340590859
I make money, yes. Plenty.
>>
>>340590916
That doesn't justify wasting it. You paid for something with less content than a demo of a real game. $6 ain't much but it's more valuable than Gone Home. What a poor decision. Shameful really.
>>
>>340591557
It has 2 hours and a half of content . It was well worth the price.
>>
>>340562107
It is though? The gameplay elements of SOMA were fucking garbage and ruined how entertaining it was to just be roaming about some nice looking maps with a babby's first philosophy story.

You're a delusional fuckwit if you think they're trying to summarise video games as a whole and not corridor simulators specifically.
>>
>>340590125
No, Outlast is an Amnesia-like game.
SOMA is an Alien: Isolation-like game with tacked on "crouch and face a wall in 3 minute intervals to remain hidden" gameplay.
>>
>>340591897
Well horror is subjective. Some people want Jump scares, some people just want to solve puzzles while horror stuff is around, some want action.

For me horror is psychological. I'm afraid of stuff I cant see or can barely see. That's why I really liked the Marble Hornet Season 1.
>>
>>340588156
Elaborate?
>>
>>340566245
>>340567162
This guy is correct. Fail states due to no ammo are bullshit. I never got into one but then I never played RE1 ;)
>>
>>340592150
>some people just want to solve puzzles
Disgusting
>>
>>340587304
Why not? Tank controls are shit.
>>
>>340593918
You only get into one of those fail states if you don't ration properly. It's your fault.
>>
>>340591897
>People who hate gameplay make games with shit gameplay
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
>>
>>340594016
I dont get why horror games turned into puzzle games in the 00's. I understand stuff like "Find the key!" But not "Okay here is a switch puzzle with statues. Put them in order of predator"
>>
>>340594235
How do you know how much to ration? Oh you're supposed to magically predict when the game is going throw a 40-bullets-required-push-your-shit-in-boss at you. Sorry, we're not all psychic.
>>
>>340594293
Horror games with puzzles are great, because they can tie the level design together. No horror game ever had truly good puzzles.

Yet.
>>
>>340594427
You don't need to be psychic: Judge which enemies pose a significant threat to you, take them out accordingly, and save you power weapons for the boss. Pretty simple stuff.
>>
>>340594427
Yeah, people who played the game 20 times dont realize that people who play the game for the first time dont know . You have a gun and bullets, why should I not use them.
>>
>>340566515
It really is.
>>
>>340594561
>I can be a retard and hit myself with a rocket and still live
Because it's not an action game, it's a SURVIVAL horror game: Why wouldn't you pick and choose your battles?
>>
>>340577119
Holy fuck
>>
>>340571093
>>340585338
theres literally nothing to see yet. anon is shitposting
>>
>>340594536
Except it's not when the targeting system suck, and that if you run out of bullets, you are done.

At least in Eternal Darkness, Melee was an actual option. But for some reason, a young girl from Rhode Island is able to take down a demi god in melee, but 2 highly trained soldiers, cant handle a zombie without using 6 bullets or being bitten at least one time while killing it in melee.
>>
>>340563793
>>340568474
>>340569797
because the creator was just a modeler and had no idea how to make a game. look how the game started. they in no way were trying to make a game at first
>>
>>340594536
Which you judge to be a threat to you may be different from how many the devs judged to be a threat to you. Also how many enemies the devs expect you to take out with physical attacks is another. The player has to sort of have an idea in their head of how the devs went about designing the game. For a game that has been out for longer, this is easier. There's rumors on the Internets. People say RE1 will fuck you on bullets so you hyperconserve. Then people say RE3 throws bullets at you like water so you don't.
>>
>>340594635
Because the game does not tell you that. You have a zombie. You try to shoot, and he still comes, and since you cant headshot with the pistol without some god luck, you waste bullets.

At least on Easy they give you enough bullets.
>>
>>340594659
Well there is a gameplay "demo", but all it is, is Jason running after a girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwwEraTseqU

But it's Pre Alpha.
>>
>>340594729
>Except it's not when the targeting system suck
Controller type C is an immediate lock on.
>>
>>340594819
The game gives you few bullets from moment one, so you adjust your strategy accordingly. If RE1 front-loaded you with all of the ammo in the game you would have a point, but it's very sparring with how much it gives you from the get-go, meaning you should conserve what you have. That's "telling" the player in a subtle enough way to not be intrusive.
>>
>>340594913
>Pre Alpha
exactly. so to base any opinion like "its shit" on that is just stupid. it might as well be nothing right now
>>
>>340594958
Not for headshots. Which, again, highly trained soldier of "SWAT" level cant headshot a slow moving target with predictable movement.

Alex Roivas can. And the game is actually creepy too. I really believe that people who LOVE Resident Evil 1,2,3 are mostly nostalgic because they played it as a kid and dont realize all the flaws.
>>
>>340595235
If you want headshots, use the shotgun. If it was possible to get a headshot with every single handgun round, the game would have to give you even less ammo to compensate for the difficulty.
>>
>>340595230
Except that the game is combat focused. That's his biggest flaws. A combat focused survival horror game where you have to fight while not fighting.

If Melee was an option, sure. If you could kill zombies with your knife, perfect. But they made sure that the knife was totally useless, and instead, they give you Grenadethrowers.
>>
>>340595496
No. The game should not be about "Hey, you missed 3 shots with your gun, now you cant kill the boss".

It's a horror game. Not an action game. Resident Evil should not even have guns. It should not have bosses you have to kill. The combat and shooting sucks. I know it's a PS1 game that came before the dual shock, but it's horrible.

Just because it's old does not mean we have to forgive the flaws.
>>
>>340595514
>Except that the game is combat focused
...Not really. The first thing that happens is you see a zombie, it has a lengthy introduction, and the game expects you to run away; for Jill, it's so Barry can kill it, and for Chris it's because he only has the knife. Right there RE1 establishes that running is more often than not a better solution than fighting.
>>
>>340594659
most of the footage. i wasn't shitposting
Im a bit disappointed that it's third person, when it should clearly be first.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.