[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I got gifted Dark Souls 1 and tried it out, because the rest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 25
File: Dragon.jpg (299 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Dragon.jpg
299 KB, 1280x720
So, I got gifted Dark Souls 1 and tried it out, because the rest of the internet loves it to the point of cult status. I've never seen any sort of actual talk about any flaws the game has, discussions always boil down to "Well, it's not for everybody". Threads I've read call Dark Souls 1 specifically a masterpiece. So I figured "Wow, this must be something special".

(Playing on 360, online not enabled, just for reference).

Please believe me I'm not trolling when I say I literally cannot fathom how this C+ game at best has this amount of praise heaped upon it. It's not a bad game, it just doesn't do most things well, and when people talk about it, it seems like they're talking about a wholly different game. It is absolutely not a masterpiece.

So the level design, especially the first part, is excellent. Some of the best in gaming, I'll give it that. I also like the core idea of the gameplay, the whole "regular enemies are always a threat if not treated with caution, you can lose everything if you're not careful" etc. There's a good game here somewhere in these ideas.

However the combat is some of the most boring I've ever experienced, the graphics are merely fair, the framerate in some huge areas is straight up embarrassing, most of the monster design is generic, and probably the most damning is that it's not hard. At all. I was expecting this white knuckle challenge from how people talk this game up, but the only "hard" part about the game is how it's terrified of a fair fight. Any time I was able to have a fight not on a tiny ledge, without ranged enemies I couldn't reach shooting me in the back, against one boss or a couple of normal opponents, I was in no danger. Most dangerous areas can be breezed through by walking, not running, having your shield up, and just assuming an enemy is behind any and all blind corners.

I had to force myself to finish it. Just... why?
>>
>not playing it on Playstation
opinion discarded
>>
You just don't get it.

I'm sorry you couldn't appreciate the game.
>>
>>340483025
Great blog anon.
>>
>>340483193
I mean, I'm sure the 360 version isn't the best version, but I got it for free. I didn't have a choice.
>>
>>340483193
>Playing multiplats on PS3
>>
>>340483025
The bosses are the only good part of the game.
Also you're losing LOTS of the charm by not using online.
Messages can be both funny or helpfull.
Getting invaded can lead to some great moments.
Playing jolly co op can make great memories etc.
>>
>>340483352
What... should I appreciate about it? I'm genuinely asking.
>>
>>340483439
All the bosses are easy as fuck. Probably shouldn't have played Bloodborne first, then Dark1.

Don't need online messages for help, and the funny messages are few and far in between.
>>
anybody can fix dsfix for me? it doesnt work anymore since nvidia newest drivers bricked it
>>
>he fell for the masterpiece meme
>>
>>340483025

I heard you out, but these are your critisims:

Boring combat (extremely vague, you didn't elaborate at all)
Graphics are fair (this has no bearing on the actual game)
Framerate is embarassing (Again, vague; this problem can also be remedied by playing on PC)
Monster design is generic (This is meaningless with elaboration. You can call anything generic. It doesn't make it a criticism. I could say The Sistine Chapel is generic, that doesn't make my argument insightful; in fact, there is no argument)
Not hard enough (You were a bit more specific on this one so I'll give it to you)

Work on your argument if you want a civil discussion. Well, actually, try a different website if you actually want a civil discussion because they are nonexistent on /v/.
>>
It's shit, /v/ just loves it because it's slightly more difficult than the average game
>>
>>340483439
That must be it. I assumed it was the online part that brings it all together, I can see that. But... that's not what people praise about it.

I'll be honest, I had fun with Ornstien and Smough, the actual boss fight. It took some tactical thinking. I enjoyed Gwyndolin too.
>>
>>340483540
When you read a book, you appreciate the writing. You can't appreciate a novel if you can't read.

When you see a movie, you appreciate the acting and the visuals. You can't appreciate a film if you can't see.

When you listen to music, you appreciate the rhythm and sound. You can't appreciate a song if you're deaf.

Video games aren't any different. It's easy to appreciate something as phenomenal as the Dark Souls series, but if you aren't looking then you won't see it. I don't think you're physically incapable of appreciating it, but you're willingly holding yourself back.

Maybe you'll experience life a bit more, and then decide to give the game another try. You'll boot up the game, and during your second playthrough you'll realize something that has been staring you in the face for all of those years; he was right.
>>
>>340483576
>Playing on 360, online not enabled
>messages are few and far in between
Well?
>>
>>340483025
You haven't named a game that does these things better, though...
>>
File: image.jpg (262 KB, 590x714) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
262 KB, 590x714
Sounds like a lot of your complains are about the general ascetics. What looks good to some, might be bland for others. It's a subjective sort of criticism, which you're entitled to have
>>
>>340484087
That's a different person I'm guessing.
>>
File: Sin título.png (920 KB, 721x690) Image search: [Google]
Sin título.png
920 KB, 721x690
>>340483025
>online not enabled
there's your problem
>>
>>340484141

Monster Hunter.
Any of them.
Same combat concept. Same 'muh difficulty' and same co-op experience.

Want me to keep naming games? Dark Souls is the 'hard game' for facebook casuals.
>>
>>340484009
I'm not even the OP, but i feel like you just said a bunch of nothing, and completely avoided answering his question.
>>
>>340484141
They never do
>>
It's a good game with a lot of interesting, outstanding elements but sure as fuck isn't a flawless masterpiece. The level design is also incredibly overrated. It's only amazing if you compare it to modern AAA trash, and that's because developers have completely forgotten how to make good levels.
>>
>360
>offline

You fucked up
>>
I got it , played it for 5 minutes and found the combat and graphics absolutely shit and haven't touched it since
>>
>>340484351
He'd make a good politician.
>>
>>340483025
The game is sort of a quest...
In the sense that you won't know what you will find, the game tries it's best to surprise the player with twists that no other game dares to try like two bosses at once.

It also helps having someone that already beat it to talk about with, I had a co-worker who would tell me all these crazy secrets snd I just blew him off as "that kid" then I found out the secrets were actually real.
>great hollow
>>
>>340484351
You're proving my point. You're doing the exact thing that he did. When you play a game without the intention of analyzing and understanding why it's a good game, or why it's a bad game, you're not going to get it.

You probably read over my post, saw a few things that you disagreed with, and then wrote your post. You're not even trying to write a response, you're trying to act superior by discrediting it without any coherent thought.
>>
>>340483025
>I literally cannot fathom how this C+ game at best has this amount of praise heaped upon it. It's not a bad game

It's mostly for the same reasons that Vanilla WoW or Morrowind has so many diehard fans.
>babbies first stat-based game that isn't pokemon
>rough, sometimes broken combat that later becomes a "badge of honor" to normies who can't pass the learning curve
>slightly more skill required than average games, makes people feel hardcore

Think of it this way: people won't have this reaction to Zelda or Skyrim or Diablo 3. Because those games are very easy to get into, the combat is simple, and there's not much depth.

>tldr; normie barriers make gamers feel like grizzled veterans
>>
>>340484461
This.

Games are great, the narrative is cool, and the vague storytelling is pretty unique for vidya. Atmosphere and level design is cool.

But my god, this game is the epitome of sensationalism. It's a fad to treat these games like they're the holy grail of action semi RPG games right now.
>>
>>340484324
MonHun has absolutely god awful structure and levels, it's a fucking MMO-tier grindfest. It's a shame because the actual combat is fun, it's just ruined by being in bad games.
>>
I played some of dark souls, I just got to Anor Londo, and so far its okay, the bosses are the most enjoyable part, to fight them though you have to fight the little easy monsters about 20 times and retrack everywhere though. Whether its because your exploring, grinding, finding a certain item, or just dying by fucking up, the back tracking is tedious and bogs down the fun of the game.

I havent finished it, so Im not trashing the game, but just putting out my opinion so far.
>>
I played DeS, DaS, DSII, SOTFS, DS3 and Bloodborne.

I hated them all except for DS3 and Bloodborne.

The combat is clunky as fuck on the earlier games. Thank god they sped up DS3 a bit.
>>
>>340484324
Monster hunter.
Don't get me wrong I love a good silver rathalos solo fight but the game's "difficulty" is all behind hours of grinding that isn't optional if you want a fair fight.
>>
>>340484531
>didn't play long enough to leave the tutorial
>>
>>340483025
You don't explain why the combat is boring, you say the monster design is generic (catch all terms do NOT explain why it's bad faggot) and of course the game is easy if you take your fucking time, that's the entire point you retard. Jesus fuck, your complaints are about as empty Lost Izalith and the Kiln were.
>>
>>340483193
>videogames
fucking moron
>>
tell me what's good about online
i don't need fucking hints and messages to tell me to watch out for shit, i don't play like a moron

pvp was retarded the one time someone invaded me in ariamis

the fucker spent about 15 minutes trying to bait me into mobs and ultimately got backstabbed and died after backing off and healing several rounds
>>
>>340484769
I got to some castle type thing with a load of skeletons or something
>>
>>340483791
Okay, fair enough, I'll elaborate.

The combat boils down to this, for every enemy except for 2 bosses: Circle around back, using your shield to block any heavily telegraphed horizontal attacks, then stab them in the ass. If it's a boss, watch out for AOE's.

That's it. Literally every enemy. It's almost entirely an anal-wound-based game. I was stunned at the lack of variety.

Framerate takes a plunge in several areas, but it REALLY hurts in Blighttown, where it actually affected my gameplay. Any time there's two enemies on the screen and a particle effect (like a blood spray) it drops.

Monster design is just... standard fantasy nonsense. Giant armor. Giant rats. Undead dude with spear. Slime blob. Scary demon dogs. Again, some bosses are cool, but most of the time it's just generic.

It's not that it's not hard enough, because I actually don't like hard games. I just quickly realized all the "hardness" was just it being cheap and taking advantage of impatience.
>>
>>340484632
I'm really not. I read his question, and the OP seems pretty genuine, polite, and open to hearing what he's not getting.

You vaguely told him he doesn't understand "it". He seems to genuinely be curious as to what you mean, and you kinda skirted around his question and didn't really provide anything of substance, just more vague philosophical sentences.

I'm not acting superior, nor do I think i'm superior. I'm just stating what I inferred from your exchange with him.
>>
File: 1463371259752.jpg (21 KB, 316x340) Image search: [Google]
1463371259752.jpg
21 KB, 316x340
>>340483025
>So the level design, especially the first part, is excellent. Some of the best in gaming, I'll give it that. I also like the core idea of the gameplay

sounds like you can fathom why this "C+" game is popular
>>
>>340484812
Not OP, but Dark1 bosses are fucking lackluster. Every boss is a joke and can be dealt with by circle strafing or a well timed dodge. The only enjoyable boss fight was Pikachu and Snorlax, and I'm like 2/3 through the game. Haven't gotten to Oolacile yet so unless the bosses start not being shit, I'd say the bosses aren't all that.
>>
>>340484854
Novelty and getting invaded on your first playthrough. Otherwise the online elements suck. The messages are pretty much a built-in walkthrough, the shades make the world feel much less lonely and undermine the atmosphere, and friendly summons completely break the game.
>>
>>340484872
Skeletons or zombie looking dudes
Because you were either still in the tutorial or 20 feet away from the end of it
>>
>>340484854
It adds to the charm of the world in my opinion.
Sort of like you know there are other warriors going through the same suffering you're going through and some humans either decide to help or harm each other.
It's just... Perfect.
>>
>>340483025
>I forced myself to finish it

Fuck off. You didn't like a game fucking woop de doo better go make a thread on /v/ and post the same drivel everyone does when they play Dark Souls and don't like it.

Kill yourself my man the world would be better off
>>
>>340485048
Well yeah like I said I got bored so I quit
>>
>>340484683
They aren't the holy grail, but they are a diamond in the rough. The reason they are praised so much is because Dark Souls as a series returns to a lot of old design choices that just aren't in games these days.

If there were more sem-rpg action games it wouldn't be as overrated as it is, not that it is a bad series (The difficulty being the most overstated thing as it's difficulty is learned difficulty).

It's one of the only series in recent years that have let you actually have control over your stats and progression, and had gameplay where mistakes legitimately punished you, things that were standards in older RPG's but have recently been thrown out the window.

The reason I like Dark Souls is because it FEELS like an RPG, you can build your own character, use weapons and armor that you like, design and control the way you play the game itself, accompanied with a decent art style that is consistent.
>>
>>340484141
>>340484398
This will get me pilloried, but I will take Arkham combat (counter markers turned off) any day of the week over this combat. You do cool looking stuff, you have a lot of moves, and you have to focus in order to not get hit. Probably sacrilege, but that's how I feel.
>>
>>340485023
I never mentioned the bosses, the combat is about being methodical with either your blocks or rolls and stamina conservation when fighting mobs and exploring. Also the bosses for the DLC are probably the harder of the whole bunch, since Artorias, Manus, and Kalameet are really fucking relentless, especially if you're doing a SL1 run.
>>
>>340485274
>combo spam and counter spam
>lot more moves
>focus
Oh god you are casual, play an actual character action game to see why Dark Souls combat is perfectly fine for how it works.
>>
>>340484854
I like online because the bloodstains are fun to watch and getting messages that hint at illusory walls or ambushes are cool to me
>>
>>340485274
>I have ADHD
Ok, good to know.
>>
>>340485249
Except it's still around, it's always around. The only people who think it's not are AAA shit eaters who do not play anything outside of what gaming review sites feed them. Fucking Risen came out the same years as Demon's Souls yet you faggots completely overlooked it despite it being far, far closer to that old school ARPG design you supposedly love.
>>
>>340484975
I guess so? Seems a bit of a tiny thing to masturbate over though. Even though it is good!
>>
>>340483025
> I was expecting this white knuckle challenge from how people talk this game up, but the only "hard" part about the game is how it's terrified of a fair fight.

Troll post. The game's combat is probably the most "fair" I've ever seen in a game; it's not From's fault you have shitty situational awareness.

Got shot in the back of the head by an archer in a tower? That's your fault, not the game's.

Also why are you playing offline, pussy? Half the game's appeal is in its pvp.
>>
>>340483025
>2016
>Playing ANY of the Dank Shills games.
>>
>>340485249
Fair enough, I can't disagree with that. Majority of my post was referencing normies praising it as a must play game cuz lol itz so hard bro!.

but you're right, in a time of games not letting go of your hand, it does everything a lot of people miss.
>>
>game that is universally acclaimed
>one dude gives it a C+

Welp, I guess it is a C+ game after all.
>>
>>340484632

You're using subjective rationale to objectively judge a subjective opinion.

"You aren't seeing the game the right way, therefore your opinion is objectively wrong"

You're so far off base that it's impossible to argue against the ideas you're putting forth.
>>
>>340485480
Demon's Souls got popular after the "It's soul-crushingly hard." Since even Sony started advertising it on their dashboard shit. Though Dark is the one that started the "PREPARE TO DIE" shitfest that now makes everyone go around saying Souls games are hard.
>>
>>340483025
The game is alright, nothing fantastic. The bosses are rather boring and don't take a lot other than waiting for them to attack and strafing around them. Pvp can be hit and miss, especially since the online connections are ass. But there's a lot of variety in character builds and weapons which I like. It's not bad for the $5 I paid for it desu.
>>
File: 1436718083168.png (197 KB, 447x418) Image search: [Google]
1436718083168.png
197 KB, 447x418
>>340485480
>Risen
>good
>>
>>340485390
Who spams counter? The right way to play those games is to not be hit and have an unbroken combo. You can't just hit Y.

>>340485390
...Sure, Dark Souls combat works, but it's boring and simplistic?
>>
>>340485274
You don't have a lot of moves, though. The combat boils down to two buttons with the occasional special attack. The only choice you have really is which directional button to press when attacking. But since the attacks are so low commitment, pressing the wrong direction does not matter. Failure also doesn't matter, it only takes away a tiny bit of your health and death means that you'll respawn in the same room again. Dark Souls has high commitment where most moves you do matter, the choice between different attack types are actual choices because some enemies can catch you mid-swing if you use a heavy attack, and punishment is relatively severe.
>>
>>340484953
When you first play a game, you develop strong opinions about the different aspects of the game. It's a natural reaction, but it's something that people have to be aware of before they actually play the game. Otherwise, they'll finish the game with the same half-baked opinions like OP.

For example, when somebody plays a game and they miss essential story components, they might feel that the game doesn't make sense. That's fair, but it doesn't make it a bad game. It's because they missed essential plot points, and they won't get it until they play the game again. Why couldn't that apply to other aspects of the game, like combat and level design? Isn't it possible that they just didn't get it during their first playthrough? Maybe they just need to look at it at another perspective, and perhaps they'll understand it then.

I can go on for hours about why Dark Souls is one of the best video games of all time, and why I feel it's importance to art transcends over the barrier between art forms, but it's going to be lost on him because of his preconceived opinions about the game.

It's like religion, and why the conversion efforts of the Mormons or the Jehovah's Witnesses are a lost cause. When a Mormon comes to you and tries to convert you, you have preconceived opinions about their beliefs and the structure of their church. Therefore, you either ignore their attempts or try to discredit their opinions. It's the same idea, with different parties involved.
>>
>>340485740
It's a worse version of Gothic, so of course it's fucking good. The first half of the game is absolutely incredible
>>
>>340484915
>all the "hardness" was just it being cheap and taking advantage of impatience.
To be honest this is actually how I feel about Super Meat Boy (another legendary "hard" game).

Boring the player with monotony and tedium until they lose focus and make a mistake != difficulty.
>>
I absolutely adore the game, it's one of the best games I've ever played. I think it's a master piece.

It wasn't good enough to be in my top 5 favorites though.
>>
>>340485751
I don't understand how souls combat is "boring and simplisitc" when you can jump off a roof, crush somebody with a hammer you've set on fire and proceed to cartwheel away, play pvp, humans are always more fun and unpredictable than AI.
>>
File: 1452049171535.jpg (8 KB, 262x263) Image search: [Google]
1452049171535.jpg
8 KB, 262x263
>>340485274
>hold stick in direction of enemy
>mash square while Batman does flippy Tekken shit that you don't control
>occasionally hit triangle
I'm 95% sure I'm being baited but holy fuck
>>
>>340485751
Then you mash the attack command, so much depth there you vapid piece of shit. I enjoy the Arkham games but holy fuck the combat is not deep at all.
>>
>>340483025
this is so obvious these fucking idiots wont be able to resist taking the b8
>>
>>340485887
The fuck? Are you saying Super Meat Boy levels aren't mechanically demanding while being really long or something?
>>
>>340484915
The way you describe the combat says a lot about how you didn't delve into the variety of the game, and instead chose the easiest path to completing PVE content. This is why people have told you to turn on online, as PvP forces you to not rely on those tactics because of players themselves countering them, which usually leads to players trying more tactics/gameplay styles

The framerate was literally the worst on 360, I understand that this is a legitimate complaint, but everyone complained about it. To say fans will tell you that it wasn't a big deal is facetious, everyone hated sludging through blighttown

That is the point of the design of the game, fallen medeival fantasy, the same could be said of games like the Witcher that are generic high fantasy, these are design choices and the complaints you are making are more subjective. If you say its "generic because theme" it makes no sense, a lot of the designs in dark souls are very unique, but yes it's going to be Knights/Rats/Beasts/etc, that doesn't make it generic, that's what a theme is.

The game ISN'T really "hard" it's unforgiving, it makes you play with your guard up, it makes you take encounters seriously. It boils down to the game not being "safe" anywhere which leads to the overall themes and plays into the world/story
>>
File: ABSOLUTELY_DISGUSTING.jpg (2 MB, 2852x2236) Image search: [Google]
ABSOLUTELY_DISGUSTING.jpg
2 MB, 2852x2236
>>340485274
>>
File: 1349631200627.jpg (44 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1349631200627.jpg
44 KB, 250x250
>>340483025
>So the level design, especially the first part, is excellent. Some of the best in gaming

>best in gaming

>C+ game

Even if the rest of the game were merely serviceable, this is an unfair grade given your analysis (or lackthereof really). You're a hipster, and that's ok, but you need to own it instead of trying to be cool. Hipsters are faggots, and you're a faggot. Dark Souls is top tier even according to you.
>>
This post scream excuses for why you suck and it's really sad.

The game is really easy all those "unfair" things you just bitched about were your own fault.

And the enemie designs are great, get past the first level.
>>
>>340485596
I'm not buying Xbox Live for one game. And yes, that's "fair", it's just stupid. Because it's a one trick pony, and its lustre wore off before I rang my first bell. It's fair, it's just not fun.
>>
>>340483025
dark souls is bad. really bad. not news. only autistic and elitist cucks claim to enjoy it.
>>
>>340485838
Fair enough, anon. I don't disagree. That's all I wanted.

Funny enough I had this same experience with DS1. It was a mixture of insecurity at being shit, and preconceived notions of the difficulty that I read. Everything felt "cheap" and "lame". Now it's one of my favorite series.
>>
>>340486210
So you got past the tutorial level, the first level, and the demo level and now youre an expert and this game isn't fair to you and the combat isnt flashy enough for you

That's cool
>>
>>340485716
There are somethings that are impossible to articulate, or too difficult to express. Maybe the explanation to existence is so far above our heads that it's impossible to explain? Don't you agree that there are questions in the universe that are unanswered, and perhaps will remain unanswered? Maybe the reason why Dark Souls unites so many people, across all barriers, is because there is something to it that is inexpressible? Something that we can't, and probably won't, be able to express efficiently?

You find this sentiment in a lot of religious threads. If you aren't religious now, then maybe it's something that will happen to you later in life. It's impossible to prove that God exists, but yet the majority of the world believes in Him. There's something in all of us, something similar to the feeling that Dark Souls ignites, that causes this belief.
>>
>>340484915
>I just quickly realized all the "hardness" was just it being cheap and taking advantage of impatience.

>being cheap
>taking advantage of impatience

Pick one. There is nothing wrong with a game taking advantage of impatience. I wish more games did it. Dark Souls isn't even a hard series, especially after the first game. There is basically no way you can fail as long as you aren't an idiot. You can always level up, and upgrade equipment. Nothing is hard enough to completely wall you forever, and it's not supposed to be. It's good game design, through and through.
>>
My first time was dark souls 1, I kinda regretted buying it at first especially since Tarus demon kept killing me. Afterward it felt good that I won, and was really starting to enjoy myself once I got to quelag
>>
File: 1311603778372.jpg (91 KB, 323x323) Image search: [Google]
1311603778372.jpg
91 KB, 323x323
>>340486350
>>
>>340485780
>choice between different attack types are actual choices

...but 95% of combat is blocking attacks until you stab them in the ass. I'm not even being reductionist generalizing. I guess you can build a shieldless backflipper, but why?
>>
>>340485480
>Risen
>Good combat
Anon, I liked Risen, but c'mon. DaS combat blows it out of the water.

People like Dark Souls because it's FUN and GOOD

It's only hard if you are stupid. It's a challenge, but the difficulty was hyped up a shitload.

Also,
>playing offline
>playing on a console
You fucked up, faggot.
>>
Dark souls 1 was great when it came out but aged like milk.

BB>DS2>DS1>DS3>RT3>XSEET2
>>
>>340487038
>BB
>Better than ds2
Pleb.
>>
File: 182mlnk6xqi3fjpg.jpg (23 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
182mlnk6xqi3fjpg.jpg
23 KB, 636x358
>>340486925
>but 95% of combat is blocking attacks until you stab them in the ass.

>he keeps his shield up constantly
>>
>>340486925
>what is parrying
>what is rolling
>what is not being a backstab shitter
>pretending that all weapons work the same way

I realize you're trolling, but put some more effort into it. You should go play games that hold your hand more
>>
This is why bloodborne is the best souls game, no pussyfooting with shields or dodging backwards, if you want to dodge you have to get up in an enemy's face and stare danger right in its hairy or tentically face.
>>
>>340486109
>The way you describe the combat says a lot about how you didn't delve into the variety of the game, and instead chose the easiest path to completing PVE content.

I guess any game can have incredible combat variation if you throw all effective shit you can use in the trash.
>>
>>340486182
...You should probably read what I actually wrote.
>>
>>340487416
What?
Side-stepping in BB is just as ez as rolling through i-frames in souls.
Faster != harder
>>
>>340486459
...I beat the game. Defeated every boss (not Priscilla, because she wasn't hostile). I didn't quit because I was frustrated. I "got gud" if you will.
>>
>>340487719
dodging to an enemy's side > dodging away from the enemy, this is indisputable.
>>
File: You.jpg (55 KB, 594x450) Image search: [Google]
You.jpg
55 KB, 594x450
>>340487416
BB is babby's first souls game
It's an easier, edgier version of an already easy and edgy game.
>>
>>340483025
>it's a fucking last-gen game of course it doesn't look amazing by modern standards.

> the framerate in some huge areas is straight up embarrassing

stop playing on a toaster then. Or are you playing on console, or playing on PC without DSfix?

>However the combat is some of the most boring I've ever experienced

nigger wut. Granted I'll admit it's combat might not be quite as good as Dragon's Dogma but just because you aren't doing flippy nonsense doesn't make the combat bad. You've probably never played an RPG in your life if you think Dark Souls has boring combat.
>>
>>340487849
that's funny because i played bloodborne first and i am steamrolling dark souls 1 without breaking a sweat
>>
>>340487703
You should have just pirated 1 for pc.
playing on even 360 is gross, even though I still enjoyed it.
>>340487831
You do realize in souls most i-frame abuse is literally rolling into the enemy right?
It's considerably more dangerous than bb-evasion. But it doesn't even matter, FS games aren't the pinnacle of design or gameplay either.
>>
>>340486531
I don't disagree, just not as much as DS does it. Like, if there was an enemy around corners every once in a while, I'll never know which ones are dangerous and which ones aren't. In DS1, that tension is gone because enemies are around EVERY corner, almost all the time. It achieves the opposite effect.
>>
>>340487019
Risen does have good combat but yeah, Dark Souls combat's better because that's the biggest focus also because it's Japanese. I'm not talking strictly about combat though. Risen has absolutely no handholding, it has an excellent world which is really satisfying to explore, the character progression is fucking amazing compared to just getting higher damage numbers, the quests are good and have an impact on the world. It's just an all around good, old school RPG. And that's my point, I'm not even saying that Dark Souls is worse or better, my point is that games with old school values are always exist but faggots completely overlook them because they're not as popular.
>>
>>340487956
Ok and? Neither of the two are very difficult, unless you're a complete fucking idiot.
>>
>>340486925
Why would you parry? Why would you roll? Both of those are less effective than blocking and ass stabbing.
>>
>>340488152
and dark souls is easier than bloodborne
if you couldn't fill in the blank on that one it looks like you're a complete fucking idiot
>>
>>340488247
confirmed for noob
Parrying is GOAT is Dark Souls 1, it's literally the best way to play the game in terms of DPS. Rolling is absolutely more useful than blocking against bosses. Stay bad, fag.
>>
>>340488247
dude what
both of them are more effective if you actually do it correctly
>>
>>340488247
>Both of those are less effective than blocking and ass stabbing.
Many enemies in souls aren't meant to be tanked though.
And rolling has been proven to be the most game-breaking way.
See any SL1 run.
>>
>>340483025
most of the nostalgia people have is for the pvp
>>
>>340488303
I didn't fill in the blank, because that's not a true statement. You're just so retarded that you don't understand how being familiar with a series makes it seem easier. Of course you think BB is harder, it was your first entry into the series. I'm not even a fucking detective, I swear.
>>
>>340488475
>the nostalgia
It hasn't even been five years yet you faggot.
Also DS1 has a GOAT first-half, and GOAT DLC.
Many people have more fond memories of DeS pvp.
>>
>>340487896
Bad =/= boring. The combat in DS1 works, it's just a snooze.
>>
where can i sub to you blog?
>>
>>340488649
>it's just a snooze.
It's not the best, but build variety alone more than makes up for that.
You did experiment and change out gear right?
>>
File: 1463369486143.jpg (39 KB, 492x388) Image search: [Google]
1463369486143.jpg
39 KB, 492x388
>>340485274

Kill yourself my man
>>
you guys got baited hard, OP made the same post 1 hour ago but more aggresive and nobody took the bait
>>
>>340488364
DPS? Who.... gives a shit? I beat every boss, most of the time on my first or second try. I don't need to be better than that. How is it more effective than that?
>>
>>340488098
Are you OP? You do realize it's possible to like both games right? Just because Dark Souls is more popular doesn't mean everyone hates Risen. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
>>
>>340487896
>Granted I'll admit it's combat might not be quite as good as Dragon's Dogma

But it's way better than DD's combat. DD is flashy yes but it's very poorly balanced, especially against the difficult monsters in BBI where melee classes turn into retarded button mashing with the occasional dodging. There's more to good combat than the variety of moves available.
>>
>>340488247
>>340488364
git gud both of you, magic rocks everything
>>
>>340483576
>Probably shouldn't have played Bloodborne first

if you're OP, then mystery solved. you played the best one first
>>
File: sorry about your fandom sunbros.jpg (105 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
sorry about your fandom sunbros.jpg
105 KB, 500x500
>>340488591
>>
>>340488881
This is the first time I've been on /v in literally 5 years. Sorry.

>>340488768
Yeah, had an Axe and an Estoc for a while. Didn't really bother with Hammer-type weapons. Also did some spells and Fire.
>>
>>340488535
if you don't understand that dark 1 is objectively easier then you're retarded or bad at video games

i watched full playthroughs of dark1 and des before playing so no, bloodborne really isn't my introduction to the series
>>
>>340488921
When did I ever say that you only had to like one? I specifically said that the posts weren't about whether Souls or Risen are better, but about the fact that Risen is also an ARPG with old school design. The point is that old school design in video games isn't something that's lost forever. It's still around, you just have to look past AAA shit to find it.
>>
>>340488921
>Are you OP?
He isn't.

>if you're OP
He isn't.
>>
>>340489047
So you only used pyro gear basically?
You tried out the silver knight set right?
Of course the games boring if you're going through the whole thing with one move-set.
>>
>>340488895
>complains that parrying isn't effective
>says combat is boring
>gets proven wrong and is made to look like a faggot
>moves goalposts by saying effectiveness doesn't matter and he still "beat the boss"

Look, you're a contrarian hipster faggot. You didn't even try to enjoy the game or do anything other than tank and spank. Dodging is more effective because it allows you to beat bosses quicker and with more finesse than blocking does, as it doesn't use as much stamina. Parrying also works on some bosses and is extremely broken/OP against them (and it's also very satisfying since it's timing based).

>>340488976
fucking finger wigglers
>>
File: 1446725409559.gif (1013 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1446725409559.gif
1013 KB, 500x375
>>340489049
>watched a full playthrough before playing
>complains about the game being easy
>says others are bad at video games

I bet you played BB with a diaper on too, you fucking casual shitter
>>
>>340486109
Fair enough on all points.
>>
>watching the whole game before you play
literally whats the point
>>
File: upset.jpg (9 KB, 268x188) Image search: [Google]
upset.jpg
9 KB, 268x188
>>340483025
YOU
>>
>>340489298
nice back pedaling, fucking mongoloid
>>
>>340489128
>The point is that old school design in video games isn't something that's lost forever

It's something that is definitely going away, for the most part. Citing the Risen series isn't exactly proof of it's thriving. Even looking past AAA games there aren't that many good old school RPGs being released with decent production values and budgets. I will concede that they exist, but they are dying.
>>
>>340483025
Anon, bait needs to be short and to the point. If you can't illicit anger with a sentence or two, you're trying way too hard and overestimating /v/.
>>
>>340489476
watched dark2. typo
>>
>>340489606
I didn't back pedal at all, is that all you have to say for yourself? stay casual.
>>
>>340489696
and yet there are 138 replies in this thread and you were baited into giving your 2 cents that no one cares about :^)
>>
File: 3544-ya-blew-it.jpg (12 KB, 245x318) Image search: [Google]
3544-ya-blew-it.jpg
12 KB, 245x318
>>340489749
>i-i-it was a typo guys

Jesus christ. Why don't you just delete your post while you're at it.
>>
>>340489207
I wore the silver knight set for the lightning resistance. A lot of the weapons I didn't have the faith/intelligence to wield.

>>340489213
Parrying's effective if you time it perfectly, which takes a lot of practice. If you can do it well all the time, sure it's awesome.

But blocking quickly doesn't require a lot of practice, keeps you just as safe, and with ass-stabbing most enemies die in one hit.

>moves goalposts by saying effectiveness doesn't matter and he still "beat the boss"

I'm not moving goalposts. It's more effective because it didn't require any effort and I beat the boss quickly. I supposed if you parried and rolled perfectly you could do it faster and better, but it would have taken me a ton of tries to learn to do that... and why would i? The only goal is beating the boss. I did that, within two tries most of the time. So...?
>>
File: wahrsager1.jpg (42 KB, 600x501) Image search: [Google]
wahrsager1.jpg
42 KB, 600x501
tommorow is the restart dark souls meme day and everyone will login and realize that dsfix is not working for them but today nobody cares

WHY DIDNT YOU LISTEN
>>
>>340489875
u mad, retard? why don't you get back to dying in dark 1 lmao
>>
>>340485274
>You do cool looking stuff
Oh.
Faggot.
Do you also think Assassin's Creed have good combat? I mean, you do all those sick moves and those jumps, oh my god, it's just like a ninja.
>>
>>340489893
You can't ass stab bosses, so your point is invalid and once you get to bigger non-human enemies ass stabs don't work. Fuck off with your casual bullshit and whining you shit, if you want to play an action game that's fun and "harder" then get Dragon's Dogma. NEVER say Arkham combat is deep, I'm shit at character action games and I've found the Combat Challenges in Arkham games to be cakewalk for the most part.
>>
>>340489893
Nope, you said parrying wasn't as effective. Now you're saying that doesn't matter because you have to learn how to do it. That's moving goalposts.

>I supposed if you parried and rolled perfectly you could do it faster and better, but it would have taken me a ton of tries to learn to do that... and why would i?

Oh i dont know? Because you said you were fucking BORED!!! Seriously do you hear yourself?

>Combat is boring!!

Try doing these things

>no I would have to actually do them if I wanted to do them

>The only goal is beating the boss.

We play video games for different reasons then. I play them to have fun, not to force myself to hold up a shield and whittle a bosses health down like a fucking chump.

>So...?

Congratulations. You don't like video games. You're in the right place.
>>
>>340489695
They aren't dying though. If anything it's the opposite, they're coming back. Just recently we had Grimrock 2, Age of Decadence, Exanima and Underrail come out which are all really good old school dungeon crawlers/RPGs. Hell speaking of Risen, ELEX is coming out next year and might not be total shit.
>>
>>340490053
why don't you get back to pre-ordering your collectors edition prima guide you massive fucking casual
>>
>>340484219
>ascetics

Hail, brother in silence.
>>
>>340490131
It's fun. It's not especially deep, but it's fun. I haven't played any since 3 (Didn't like that one), but I didn't have a problem with it.

I don't really take pride in how skilled I am at videogames, so I don't care if it doesn't look neat at least.
>>
>>340489606
>literally disregard the unique exploration aspect of Souls games which is going blind without a map and finding shit on your own, not knowing how to deal with them
>wew lads, it's super easy
>>
>>340490445
Fun is literally subjective you goddamn retard, fuck off with your acting like your subjective opinion is solid fact. Fuck off and learn to play games blind and try new things instead of being pussy scared of taking risks.
>>
>>340490173
I can stab a boss's ass-cheek, but you're right it's not a critical. That's what I meant.

>NEVER say Arkham combat is deep

I didn't? I said it was more fun.
>>
>>340490478
the combat is easier, moron
forget about environmental hazards or ambushes and just look at the bosses
>>
>>340490304
why don't i go back to fucking your mom while i circle strafe every boss and parry the final boss standing in place, babby? dark 1 is the easiest of the entire series
>>
>>340490201
Either be bored holding up a shield or be bored running back to the boss from the bonfire over and over. Can't avoid the boredom.
>>
>>340490598
I didn't say it was fact. I'm sure it's actually really fun in PVP.

From what I've seen Dark Souls 3 has more intense combat, but I haven't played it. I'm not shitting on the series.
>>
File: 1295857014846.jpg (54 KB, 290x290) Image search: [Google]
1295857014846.jpg
54 KB, 290x290
>>340490791
Just make sure you watch a let's play beforehand, wouldn't want the game to breach your safespace.
>>
>>340490813
>refuses to mix up his playstyle
>bitches about it

I mean that's what you're doing.
>>
File: 1440543032810.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1440543032810.gif
2 MB, 500x500
>>340491076
let's play of fucking your mom? got a recommendation? there are so many
>>
>>340491196
This post is what BB has brought to the series

People who watch playthroughs before playing, and then proceed to make mom jokes.
>>
>>340491308
haha praise the sun am i right guys? man this game is fucking hard xD
>>
>>340491439
from the mouth of babes
>>
>>340486109
>The way you describe the combat says a lot about how you didn't delve into the variety of the game, and instead chose the easiest path to completing PVE content. This is why people have told you to turn on online, as PvP forces you to not rely on those tactics because of players themselves countering them, which usually leads to players trying more tactics/gameplay styles

Are you seriously implying that players dont use the anal stabbing mechanic in Dark Souls 1?

I renember when i played it that out of 10 invasions atleast 7 were going to be a guy rolling around trying to stab your back.

1 would be a guy with a very gimicky build but they were very fucking rare, and then you would have the tryhard faggots using poise and a huge sword to fuck your shit up.

Also Dark Souls 1 Online is pretty much dead on PC now, if a new player goes into the game and reacts as OP is reacting, you cant blame the motherfucker that part of the game is based around online content that can banish at any time.
>>
>>340491503
good one retard
>>
File: EU1sEsB.png (499 KB, 449x642) Image search: [Google]
EU1sEsB.png
499 KB, 449x642
>literally tl;dr the thread
>>
File: 1449472540498.jpg (209 KB, 756x1100) Image search: [Google]
1449472540498.jpg
209 KB, 756x1100
>>
>>340484674
Ghosts and Goblins on the NES has the same ideas just executed better, save for the whole having to beat the game twice in a row to get the 'real' ending, and I beat that when I was eight. I think that Dark Souls gets praise from people that hadn't really played any challenging games. I played through the first Souls game on the PS3 and I really didn't enjoy it very much. Every thing looked so bland. I don't mind a muted color pallet, but would it really kill them to put a stroke of warm colors somewhere? I played Bloodborne for about two hours and didn't like that either. I enjoyed other games from FROM Software. I loved the Armored Core series. Probably one of the few people on the planet that wished they would revisit that series instead of making more damp dark European fantasy games.
>>
>>340491764
>I don't like thing a lot of people like
>>
what did you think of the story OP?
>>
>>340490673
It's easier because you already saw how to deal with the enemies and their moves, retard.
>>
>>340492823
watched dark 2 mongoloid
not that that changes the fact that every boss is literally a slow telegraphed swing or butt stomp

fucking casual probably couldn't even beat gascoign lmao
>>
File: IMG_20160609_022443158.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160609_022443158.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
>>340492950
You were saying?
>>
File: 1344633499146.jpg (42 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1344633499146.jpg
42 KB, 300x300
>>340483025
>playing on the 360
>the graphics are merely fair
>>
>>340485525
It's not a tiny thing when literally 95%+ of all other games and developers level-based, level design consists of solitary corridors.
>>
Because modern "gamers" care more about LOLSTORY and other non-game related bullshit than gameplay, controls, and general game quality.
>>
>>340486149
This asshole said everything you needed to hear.
>>
>>340483025
Game only has cult status because it was a heavily anticipated spiritual sequel to Demon Souls, and a lot of people who had friends hyped for Demons got them hyped for Dark.

When it came out on PS3 it looked good, it played better than Demon's and had more spells and weapons and the mechanic was new and fresh. Not to mention the multiplayer community that existed at the time made a lot of places a lot more interesting than they are today.

i.e. I used to not be able to get through Darkroot Garden without being invaded constantly by people in dark gold hemmed robes blasting pyromancy everywhere, it made the place a large mysterious and dangerous area to explore(and a bit obnoxious but still).

PC Dark Souls looks like garbage, the character creator has an irritating grainy overlay that doesn't look good at all, the premade faces are terrible.
All of the secrets have been found, all the builds have been made.
Without invasions or help signs the world is just a barren kindergarten of enemies waiting to be stomped by now super experienced players who already have the best strategies for dealing with everything.

Souls games are only exciting and challenging upon release when the game is new and secrets are everywhere. You're basically just chewing some really thoroughly chewed gum.
Also they rushed everything after Anor Londo and cashed in because they never thought a legion of american gamers would comb through a game so thoroughly.
>>
File: the Tomb of Giants.png (2 KB, 1152x648) Image search: [Google]
the Tomb of Giants.png
2 KB, 1152x648
>>340483025
>However the combat is some of the most boring I've ever experienced,

I find it better than skyrims style, but still overall pretty shit. Fucking lazy soft attack & heavy attack design.

> the graphics are merely fair

Yep.

>the framerate in some huge areas is straight up embarrassing

Probably one of the worst things about the series, there's always the "this area is more difficult because: framerate"

>most of the monster design is generic

yes, but alongside the well built world, I feel the series did well bringing old idea's into a proper 3D dungeon crawl sort of game.

> the only "hard" part about the game is how it's terrified of a fair fight.

Normies. Fuck normies. They always manage to fuck up and die in the most ridiculous ways. They also manage to care about their deaths, even though the game doesn't give a fuck about death. The overarching story of the series can be summed up as, "death, so what?"

Also the real final boss is the Iron Golem, or Ornstein and Smough if you enjoyed that shit hole anal rodeo. The rest of the game is unfinished and without any polish, almost as if they didn't expect anyone to keep playing for that long.
Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.