[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's some of the worst writing you've ever experienced
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10
File: Alan_Wake_PC_review.jpg (612 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Alan_Wake_PC_review.jpg
612 KB, 1920x1080
What's some of the worst writing you've ever experienced in a video game?

>inb4 obligatory Fallout 3

Pic also related.
>>
>>340473831
How was this games writing bad?
>>
i liked alan's book. meet him in person recently, got good pic with him
>>
>>340473831
But Alan Wake is really good?

I'm so pissed off Remedy aren't doing AW2 man
>>
>>340473831
Fuck you man, Alan Wake was good.
>>
>>340473831
>Alan wake
>bad
You haven't seen a bad writing if you think Alan wake is anywhere near bad
>>
>>340474192
Give an example of a game with bad writing then.
>>
File: image.png (824 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.png
824 KB, 1280x720
>>340473831
>alan wake has bad writing
>>
>>340474238
Halo 5
All Uncharted's
>>
>>340473831
Fuck you, Alan Wake was great
>>
File: MorrowindCOVER.jpg (62 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
MorrowindCOVER.jpg
62 KB, 375x500
>>
>>340473831
Tribes Vengeance
Ken Levine is and always was a hack fraud.
>>
>>340474062
They want to, from what I heard.
>>
TLOU
>>
>>340474238
Life is strange
The whole game was supposed to be a CHYOA style telltale game yet no matter what decisions you make the endings are either everyone dies (aka whatever you did in the game didn't matter) or you reverse the time to the beginning of the game and let your friend die (whatever you did in the game didn't happen at all).
Now combine that with cringy high school drama written by adults who are pretending to be teens and add insome tumblr cancer and you'll get that abomination
>>
>>340473831
>Best friend enjoys horror games and adventure games as much as I do
>Tells me this game is great
>Enjoy 95% of it despite relatively simple item-finding puzzles for the temporal order puzzles and creepy atmosphere
>Get to the end
>https://youtu.be/_JZom_gVfuw

FUCK THIS GAME!
It was all a dream is the laziest writing possible. Why does ANYONE like this game. When I confronted my friend about it she said she never finished the game and was just as pissed when I told her about the ending.

Also, Alan Wake IS poorly written. It is a passable homage to any given Stephen King book but nothing about it is scary or unique. I was expecting some sort of tweest on the "writer's book becomes reality" trope but, nope, that's all there really is. Also all the enemies are lumberjacks with axes.

The few spooky scenes are few and far between. It's still better than Ethan Carter. I wish I could set whoever wrote that ending on fire instead of the kid.
>>
>>340475210
>It was all a dream is the laziest writing possible.
So you totally missed the point of the ending or what?
>>
>>340475210
>It was all a dream
It wasn't all a dream. The kid has magic powers and can bring fictional characters to life. You're one of them.
>>
>>340475210
You better be pretending son
>>
Mass Effect 3's ending

HURR DURR SYNTHETICS WILL KILL THEIR CREATORS SO WE SYNTHETICS ARE GOING TO KILL YOU SO THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN
>>
>>340475514
Please anon we already had a thread. I don't want to get angry at that piece of shit again
>>
>>340474996
I'll second this emotion.
>>
Dare I ask what Quantum Break was like?
>>
>>340475210
To be fair, Stephen King isn't great at twists either.
>>
>>340475949
meh

very meh
>>
File: Järvi.gif (2 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Järvi.gif
2 MB, 200x200
>>340473831
>Alan Wake
>bad
>>
File: Hydrophobia_Prophecy_PC[1].jpg (602 KB, 1532x2147) Image search: [Google]
Hydrophobia_Prophecy_PC[1].jpg
602 KB, 1532x2147
The plot feels like a badly translated euro cartoon with hammy acting.

A shame because it had a neat atmosphere and a water physics engine I wish they'd license out.
>>
File: the-elder-scrolls-skyrim.jpg (124 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
the-elder-scrolls-skyrim.jpg
124 KB, 1024x768
Im amazed how this game thrives from mods alone, the combat is awful and the story is mediocre at best yet i played it today still
>>
>>340475949
The only good thing about quantum break was baneposting memes
>>
>>340476303
Worth giving a try when it drops to a considerably lower price? I'm not paying near-full price for something that I can complete in under 10-12 hours.
>>
you get twoooo pills in the morning and then you'll be NICE AND CALM ALL DAY LONG
>>
>>340477056
It is a good game (however not the second coming of Christ like everyone treated it to be)...but I refuse to look at it as an Elder Scrolls title.

>Rumoured remaster supposedly in the works
>Bethesda pls
>>
>>340473831
Alan Wake's writing was meant to be somewhat cheesy. I mean, one of the characters in the game tells Alan Wake to his face that they think his work was bad. It's debatable if Alan was actually a good writer.
>>
>>340477537
>Remaster

It will be a port at best
>>
>>340477610
I think it was more then "somewhat" cheesy. The zombies would yell at you to eat your vegetables and take vitamins and shit. like 3 enemies repeated throughout the entire game. The only good part of that game was the joe pesci character.
>>
>>340475514
I seriously still can't believe that a fanmade theory was more clever and made more sense than the actual ending. It's like they changed writers halfway through and never exchanged ideas or notes. The fuck.
>>
>>340477056
Honestly I enjoyed the plot. It wasn't expansive but it was at least interesting and badass,compared to fallout 4's plot it's great.
>>
File: FNV_box_art_(US).jpg (1 MB, 1330x1650) Image search: [Google]
FNV_box_art_(US).jpg
1 MB, 1330x1650
>>340473831
This

Pillars of Eternity and Fallout 3 coming right after it.
>>
File: sc2.png (23 KB, 1173x245) Image search: [Google]
sc2.png
23 KB, 1173x245
shortly after SC2 was announced, an effortless troll post attempting to predict the story showed up on gamefaqs that got a lot of attention for how fucking dumb it was. a couple years later, it turned out to be prophetic
>>
>>340473831

To The Moon.
>>
>>340473831
It's not a lake. It's an OCEAN.
>>
>>340479056

>"You are the Chosen One! you must save the world!"
>K ill do it
>"Dont foget your thum!"
>Gotcha

It was way too straightforward
>>
>>340479614
Eh, it's what I expect from a video game and I don't mind. As long as there's some cool powers, and climatic shit I'm good. Although that being said I put like 80 hours into my playthrough and won't play it ever again most likely so yeah it's pretty bad.
>>
Watch dogs was pretty bad. If they had made his sister his wife and his niece who dies his daughter, his actions would feel more justified. That and the fact that the game keeps fucking going after you kill lucky quinn, a perfect and natural place to put the ending.
>>
MW2's story is the dumbest shit. it just requires so much suspension of disbelief to work.

>in order to start a war against russia, an american agent is sent on a terrorist attack and is killed in the process. the russian government blames america for it
>ignoring the fact that during the mission, 3 other russian terrorists are killed. this part is clearly visible but goes unmentioned

>russia sneaks an entire army across the world somehow and surprise attacks washington DC. nobody notices this massive russian attack force until they're right on washington's doorstep.

>the british save the americans by shooting an EMP at DC. how would this help the americans any more than the russians, exactly?
>>
>>340478967
What theory?
>>
>>340478726
I disagree but whatever
>>
Heavy Rain.
M. Knight Shamamalamalan's got nothing on our incredible twist. The twist that makes the entire rest of the game make no fucking sense whatsoever.
>>
>>340480625
>russia
>able to attack the mainland USA with anything but their ICBM/MRBM

does anybody understand how hard it is to get an army across a fucking ocean?

there's this thing in your way it's called the US navy

it's not easy
>>
>>340475354
>>340475412
>>340475421
It was his death dream. Everything that happened was just a part of his imagination, as you, the player are. These are all just his stories he creates in his mind being played back in his last moments before death. Are YOU retarded?
>>
>>340474996
I liked the game, but I agree 100%.
>>
>>340473831
Every Obsidian game
All Bioware games past 2006
Almost every Square Enix game past 2002
>>
>>340473831
the writing was not the worst ,but i do agree the game sucked
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.