[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain, why so many people have a problem with no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42
File: 1465318198464.jpg (33 KB, 770x309) Image search: [Google]
1465318198464.jpg
33 KB, 770x309
Can someone explain, why so many people have a problem with no gook voices in the Persona 5?
I would understand if japanese cast were A-tier professionals, but they are literally B-tier "seiyū", literally no difference compared to the english dub team.
>>
It's just Internet outrage culture.
>>
If the Japanese cast is B-tier, the English cast of the average Atlus USA game is Z-tier.

But the quality isn't even relevant in and of itself. I wouldn't watch a German film dubbed in English even if the English dub was excellent, and I don't want to play a Japanese game made by Japanese people with Japanese artists, vision, and actors, featuring a Japanese setting with Japanese culture and Japanese characters presented to me by English actors.
>>
>>340383895
>LeLouch
>B tier
>>
>>340384053
I don't see how this is hard to understand
>>
Because people like having a choice.
>>
>>340384053
>Japanese characters
But they aren't "Japanese characters" they are fucking ANIME characters and have literally nothing to do with actual Japan and Japanese culture, same with setting
>>
>>340384053
/thread
>>
The movie analogy is pretty good.

Would you rather watch a foreign movie dubbed into english or with original audio and english subs? There's a lot of people that strongly prefer the latter.
>>
>>340384487
>a lot of people

Only a handful of degenerates don't prefer the subbed method.
>>
Because there's no reason not to have both choices in a high profile release like P5 except for laziness or jewry with the budget. Neither of these excuses should be the case.
>>
>>340384415
The game is explicitly set in Japan and the characters are Japanese. It makes all manner of references to Japanese culture and customs.
>>
I just don't want to have to listen to the awful US version's script. If it's 100% Japanese that's fine. If it's 100% English that's fine. If it's some weeaboo shit where they speak English but keep calling each other kun or chan or senpai or whatever that is not fine. That is terrible.
>>
>>340384487
This is an RPG, not Uncharted 4
>>
>>340383895
there will be a ps3 undub within 1 week of release so that just means i won't have to spend any money on it
>>
>>340383895
Because western anime and video game VA pool is extremely limited. It's the same dozen of people in every fucking game. And they get roles just because there's no one else who could, not because they have a fitting voice for the character they're supposed to play.
Especially in the AtlUSA releases.

>I would understand if japanese cast were A-tier professionals, but they are literally B-tier "seiyū", literally no difference compared to the english dub team.
In other words the exact opposite of your bait.
>>
>>340384878
>Because western anime and video game VA pool is extremely limited. It's the same dozen of people in every fucking game. And they get roles just because there's no one else who could, not because they have a fitting voice for the character they're supposed to play.
So no different from japan?
See Sugita for example, guy has literally one voice for all his roles
>>
>>340385047
There's a difference.
The original VA might have no range, but he gets hired because they want his typical voice for a particular character.
The western VA who has no range gets hired to voice all kinds of different characters, simply because he's available.
>>
>>340385203
>The original VA might have no range, but he gets hired because they want his typical voice for a particular character.
Wow, you really live in some fantasy world
There 2 main reasons to hire VA in Japan
1. They are popular and can bring otaku money, because this guys can't tell difference between character and actress
2. They don't get many roles and so they cheap to hire. Atlus has a history doing exactly that
Of course some directors trying to find fitting va(#FE for all main characters), but this time it's obviously not a case
>>
>>340385047
You're missing the point of his post. There's a much larger pool of talent in Japan for voice acting when in the west it is limited. It's up to Japanese production to select the correct talent; If they pick a shit actor for a character it is on them, not because there aren't any good actors to choose for a character like the west.
>>
>>340385578
>P5 is an otaku pandering game
>#FE is not
Who lives in a fantasy world again?
>>
>>340383895
I have literally never liked an atlus dub

The biggest problem is delivery for me, but there's plenty of other niggling details in their shitty dubs.
>>
>>340383895
>shit weeb game
>surprised people want japanese

just put both in you shitty devs
>>
>>340385601
There's plenty of talent in America...the problem is that they're all voicing Western games and other media, not dubbing foreign stuff. That's for rejects and D listers.
>>
>>340383895
>B-tier

Shows you know nothing about it
>>
>>340383895
>not wanting to experience media in the language it was intended to be experienced
Uncultured plebeians.
>>
They don't, barely any of the actual consumers care about dual audio.

This is a vocal minority.
>>
>>340383895
t. ps4 buttmad owner
>>
>>340386274
"I'll refuse to buy the game" types are a minority, since outside of pirating an undub with a modded console there's nothing they can do other than refuse to play the game outright.

Literally no one is preferring a version of the game that is English only.
>>
>>340386206
If everybody could speak japanese, sure, but if you are just reading subtitles big whoop.
>>
>>340386374
Do you watch foreign films dubbed in your native language? Don't tell me you watch dubbed anime, either.
>>
>>340386373
If people could have an option they'd say sure give us the option.

If they didn't have the option, the vast majority of players don't care at all if the game has an english dub.
>>
File: 1462152036050.jpg (116 KB, 654x534) Image search: [Google]
1462152036050.jpg
116 KB, 654x534
>But we're no slouches when it comes to dubs
>>
>>340386449
Do you speak japanese?

If the answer is no, you are getting a filtered experience that forgoes the nuance of the original language for ease of translation and relay of information.

So, unless you can speak japanese, you are complaining about people not getting a pure original experience while you also aren't getting a pure original experience.
>>
>>340386508
That's a stupid way of looking at it. They absolutely care, they just aren't willing to go to the level of a boycott.
>>
>>340385729
You actually can easily see if manga/anime/movie is otaku pandering garbage or not afraid to be original
>Does japan has best cooking/sport/magic school in the world
>Are every female love interests are virgins(specially the ones who shouldn't be, because their age or aother reason)?
>Is there a character with japanese father and foreign mother
>etc
Also #FE is actually a very good game both characters and gameplay wise
but of course you wouldn't care, you only want to spout memes
>>
>>340386685
They don't care because most players wouldn't play the game outside of whatever the default language option was and they know it.
>>
>>340386653
I'm aware that it's a filtered experience. The only way to experience it 100% is to understand the language and even grow up in Japan. I'll take 90% over 10% or less. Just like I'm forced to read translations of literature if I don't want to learn every single relevant language.

I'll ask you the question again, since you avoided it. Do you watch foreign films dubbed into your native language?
>>
>>340386653
This fucking argument was already destroyed in literally the second post of the thread.

Get the fuck out
>>
>>340383895
Generally I've liked JP voicing in the past Persona games more.

And if you're going to pull the "You don't understand the language, why do you care about something you don't understand? You can't even make out what they're sayin!"
Consider this. I fully understand English, so I can make out that voicing is bad. But I can't understand Japanese, so I'd be blissfully ignorant to quality of acting.
Then again, this is a moot point, since you'd have to be mentally disabled or something to not be able to make out emotion in a spoken language, even if you don't understand what is being said.
>>
>>340386653
>If the answer is no, you are getting a filtered experience that forgoes the nuance of the original language for ease of translation and relay of information.
says the person who never bothered to listen to another language ever in his life.
>>
>>340386793
Your experience isn't any different from a dubbed experience as far as filtering goes.

Your experience would actually draw attention away from visual aspects of those media, to boot.

So, again, you are decrying people from a high horse you really have zero claim to.
>>
>>340386986
I'll take that as a, "Yes, I do watch dubs" or, "I only watch Marvel movies".
>>
>>340386909
>I make this assumption based on absolutely nothing
Whatever makes you feel better about your outrage, anon.
>>
>>340387073
You admitted it when you dodged the question several times while still trying to argue.
>>
>>340387112
>>340387073
Get a room you two.
>>
Holy shit subs only people are ridiculous. You guys act like anyone who isn't with you is taking a huge shit right across your face.
>>
>>340387112
I didn't answer it because it's obvious bait. No matter what I say you would attack me one way or another.

That's the only reason you want to keep pushing it.
>>
>>340387156
keep your shitty dubs, nobody here is sub only.
Dual audio pleases everyone.
>>
>>340387281
I'm going to attack your asshole next if you don't stop being a faggot.
>>
>>340387281
No, I'd only attack you if you had said that you do indeed watch dubs of foreign films.

If you had said no, I'd ask you why you treat film one way but anime and videogames another way.
>>
>>340387402
>I'd only attack you if you said you watch dubs
>I'd just call you a hypocrit if you said you watch subs

You literally just proved him right you dongus
>>
>>340387530
The latter isn't an attack. It's also not inherently hypocrisy to treat one medium one way and another differently. Hypocrisy is telling people to do one thing and doing the opposite.
>>
File: 1465259038331.jpg (126 KB, 772x525) Image search: [Google]
1465259038331.jpg
126 KB, 772x525
I love Jap dubs and I'll probably always defend them over the foreign ones, but Persona is one of the series I have never touched in jap.
English isn't even my first language and I can tell I learned a lot from P3 and P4.
I tried playing an undub version of P3 for my second playthrough but it felt wrong.
But, this time, I followed all the news and watched the PVs at least 30 times each, and I think hearing the English dub won't feel natural.
>>
>>340385578
>>340386714
I said this yesterday when some Meleefag was shitposting about Sonic, and I'll say it again today, we need a separate board for Nintenyearolds now because they've devolved into completely retarded shitposters
>>
>Subs only people frothing at the mouth
>Attacking anyone who isn't also frothing at the mouth

I'm really glad that so long as the internet exists this same exchange will happen every day over and over again.
>>
>>340387695
Dude just watch anything in Japanese to prepare, the Japanese voice actors will sound just like every other Japanese voice actor
>>
>>340387815
wut?
>>
>>340383895
>but they are literally B-tier "seiyū"
This is B-tier bait
>>
>>340387797
nobody here is sub only you faggot.
again, keep your shit dubs. Dual audio works for everyone
>>
>>340387797
There are maybe 5 subs only people on the planet.
>>
>>340387805
The problem is that I already have associated a voice to every face in this game.
>>
>>340387815
JESUS CHRIST
>>
>>340387858
wrong thread, sorry about that
>>
>>340387815
the fuck?
>>
>>340386067
>Literally who
>not a B-tier garbage
>>
>>340386793
>I'll take 90% over 10% or less.
This is pure delusion. Dub work isn't going to irrevocably ruin the game for you, you'll be experiencing the exact same fucking shitty script either way.

What you're actually talking about is "this makes me feel more Japanese!" vs "I don't like this!".

You have 2 sane choices. Learn Japanese, or learn to live with the fact that you don't fucking know Japanese and the dub is merely a personal preference. It's not enhancing the experience by anything more than 10% at most.
>>
Publishers dub and release dub-games for localization purposes and because so nips don't buy games internationally because its almost always cheaper, thus destroying their local vidiya market.

By the time this gets released and the gap between jap ver and usa/eu ver tells me they are actually planning on giving jap audio. That being said in very, very rare cases the dub is actually okay. Pokemon for example and persona 3/4 were excellent dubs
>>
>>340388403
Persona 3's dub is awful. A handful of equivalent performances like Junpei don't make up for the majority of the cast being far worse than their Japanese counterparts.
>>
>>340383895
B-tier seiyuu is better than amateur American VA
>>
>>340388048
>Nana Mizuki
>Rina Sato
>Aoi Yuuki
>Sugita
>Literally who
Get out.
>>
>>340388460
I liked them.
>>
>>340388403
>persona 3/4 were excellent dubs
Refer to >>340384053

You drooling retard.
>>
>>340388560
They are literally who
Did they voice your favorite seasonal waifu or something?
>>
File: 1436315079460.jpg (31 KB, 640x448) Image search: [Google]
1436315079460.jpg
31 KB, 640x448
>>340384169
>mfw his dub is absoutle shit

why is dan green as Yami/Atem the only good dub of a japanese anime character?
>>
>>340388460
>>340388586
>I don't like Persona dub so its c-tier

Please be opend minded about this, the dub is actually very good for a video game. It's one thing to not like it and another to say things like this
>>
>>340388657
Who are A-List Japanese voice actors in your opinion?
>>
>>340388730
No it isn't, it's literal dogshit. Something like Uncharted has a good dub, because ND have casting calls and hire actual actors and shit.

Dubs from Japanese games are 9/10 times done incredibly cheaply with the kinds of morons who work in the anime dubbing field, which means you make pennies on the dollar but you get a ton of work because you'll "act" for less than minimum wage.

Localisation companies do not exist to produce a quality product. They're parasites that buy cheap licences, do some subpar translation work with interns, then slap it all together and rake in the money because they have zero creative talent.
>>
>>340388917
Professional theater and movie actors
>>
>>340389026
The dub in persona 3 and 4 was really good I felt, I enjoyed it a lot
>>
>>340388917
Shuichi Ikeda
Megumi Hayashibara
Maaya Sakamoto
Jouji Nakata
>>
>>340389125
>Professional theater and movie actors
I seriously hope you're kidding, Japan is kabuki as fuck and their movie industry is based on hiring models instead of good actors.

Their voice acting industry is ironically the best stuff they put out, because it's not based on either looks or personality.
>>
>>340389304
So you know nothing about japan
>and their movie industry is based on hiring models instead of good actors.
dramas aren't movies
Oh, and there nothing wrong with kabuki, at least only people who good at acting, speaking and improvising can do it on the decent level. Something that 90% of va lacks
>>
>>340389137
Other than Jouji Nakata those are people who only do very sporadic roles these days, and Nakata performs in pretty much same stuff as P5 cast does.
Though if your idea of A-List is old and experienced, new Igor is voiced by Masane Tsukayama.
>>
>>340389132
You have low standards.
>>
>>340389449
There's nothing wrong with kabuki, but it isn't good acting. While the west values realism, Japan values over-exaggeration.

Aside from a handful of movies, the majority of studios follow the same drama viewerbait methods of hiring whatever young 20s model is popular that year.
>>
>>340389125
The Persona 5 voice cast regularly does dubbing for movies.
...Or do you mean actual actors? That wasn't what question was about. If anything wouldn't somebody experienced in voice acting be better fit for voice acting role than somebody primarily experienced in theatrical acting?
>>
>>340389637
>If anything wouldn't somebody experienced in voice acting be better fit for voice acting role than somebody primarily experienced in theatrical acting?
No
What a stupid question
Well, if you don't care about characters, of course you would prefer your favorite voice actors. But if it's not to pander otaku, actual actors for the voice acting are better choice
>>
Because if we can't understand the language, it has a much lower bar to clear to be acceptable. We know what good English-language voice acting sounds like, and Fatlus dubs clearly ain't it. But we can only sort of tell if the tone of the voices matches what we think the emotional pitch of the scene should be when it comes to Japanese, and while that might mean we'd miss nuances of truly great Japanese voice work... Sturgeon's Law, 90% of everything is crap, meaning that nine times out of ten we're more likely to be missing flawed or poor performances than anything.
>>
>>340389137
Well whoop de doo, Nakata is in P5
>>
English isn't even my first language and they put alot less effort into their dubs than japs. So why the fuck would I want english dub?
>>
>>340383895
>I would understand if japanese cast were A-tier professionals, but they are literally B-tier "seiyū",
>Japanese Seiyuu literally DO have a ranking system
>A shitton of them is literally on the highest possible pay level.

Do your homework, please.
>>
File: kek.jpg (489 KB, 1506x836) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
489 KB, 1506x836
>>340393550
>A shitton of them is literally on the highest possible pay level.
>>
Odin Sphere has dual audio in both US and EU versions so when Atlus says that's a monumental task they're stright up bullshitting.

It should not be this difficult to give people choice. You want to release the game dubbed for the filthy American who can't stand subs. Fine with me, you can even make it default choice if you want. But we're in 2016, it's time to listen to what you base customers wants instead of playing dumb.

That's why Atlus can screw themselves with their preorder bullcrap
>OST CD when the soundtrack will be available on the net in September
>Artbook whose content will be available on the net in September

The steelbook is the only thing that I'm interested in and I will just wait for an hi-res pic of the cover to make my own instead of that horrendous consored one.
>>
Am I the only one that doesn't really like to listen to japanese voices?
>>
>>340394882
no, USA is a big and quite populated country
>>
>>340394882
Most of people who understand japanese and aren't otakus, prefer to not listen "seiyū"
>>
>>340393358
Because you're a cunt and nobody cares about appeasing 1 customer, no matter how big of a cunt they are
>>
>>340383895

It's harder to notice poor va in a foreign language
>>
>>340394914
>USA
>At this hour
>>
File: ChvUE94UgAAXjxC.jpg (76 KB, 600x469) Image search: [Google]
ChvUE94UgAAXjxC.jpg
76 KB, 600x469
>>340383895
>mfw wendee lee ashley burch or stephanie sheh will voice one of these girls

how do you feel about that?
>>
>>340384415
The Simpsons aren't "Americans" they are fucking CARTOON characters and have literally nothing to do with the actual USA and American culture, same with setting.
>>
>>340389137
Ikeda is one trick pony, Maaya is a good singer but a mediocre actress. Nakata and Hayashibara are good, but Hayashibara is pass her prime.
>>
>>340394982
too bad that I notice it way easier in English cause English is foreign language for me
that makes English VA so much worse, cause noticing bad JP VA is way harder
>>340395014
UK then
god bless queen, yadda yadda yadda
tho I wonder, do UK citizens like american dubs?
>>
File: 1456011908497.png (315 KB, 444x327) Image search: [Google]
1456011908497.png
315 KB, 444x327
>>340383895
>we're no slouches when it comes to dubs.
They don't actually believe this do they?
That's too funny if they aren't saying it ironically.
>>
Real talk: I can tell if an English voice actor is awful because I know English. I can only detect emotion in Japanese because I don't know what they're saying. Japanese lets my imagination fill in the gaps. Literally any language I don't know would serve the same role. If I knew Japanese but not English I'd probably prefer the English dub.
>>
>>340394914
I'm yuropoor and English isn't even my native language

Also, I think >>340394982 has a point
I play all my games in English, because dubs in my native language are usually worse and sound bad to me
While I don't mind dubbed shows or movies
>>
>>340384053
Then import.
>>
>>340395076
No, the simpsons clearly mirror american culture and lifestyle
Can't say the same about persona since 3
>>
>>340384701
Well then RPG players should be more tolerant of reading. Or do you not read item descriptions?
>>
>>340395140

Nah usually direction is fucking awful whenever something gets a second round of voice acting.

see dragon's dogma
>>
>>340395206
The simpsons haven't accurately reflected American culture or lifestyle in 15+ years
>>
I'm not too overly anal either way, but I can understand where people are coming from. Persona is basically an anime, and anime dubs tend to be cringeworthy, and Japanese voice acting JUST WORKS.

For an example of a game, FFXV's English voice acting is shit outside of Ignis. Thankfully it's basically fucking quad-audio.
>>
>>340384053
Persona 5's Japanese cast is AA tier.
>>
>>340395261
>Persona 5's Japanese cast is AA tier.
wow
How it's even possible to be so retarded?
>>
>>340395342
What are you talking about, half of the voices are really, really good. The rest are okay.
>>
>>340384053
This. I don't know why it's only anime and video game fans that get bent out of shape about people wanting original audio.
>>
>>340395234
DD's English voiceover was cute. "Ought" is a cute word. CUTE.
>>
>>340393874
>horrendous consored one

Are you seriously talking about the cat being lifted up because of the ERSB logo?
>>
>>340395462

English was the original language
>>
>>340395149
English is not my native language either and I stopped playing localisations on my native language around 15 years ago. Cause they sucked that much.
Learned English and played on English.
That didn't make English dubs of JP games any better tho.
Now imagine that you never moved from consuming media on your native language just cause it was slightly better quality wise and it was everywhere in media especially considering tons of that media made by same native English speaking people.
It becomes way, way harder to realize that dubs can be bad when you listen for them for decades. They become too normal for native English speakers, so they don't bother with original audio. Because it would mean to admit that what they've been enjoying for years is actually not all that great quality wise.
also older the habit - harder to change it
>>
File: 1456235928689.gif (62 KB, 260x200) Image search: [Google]
1456235928689.gif
62 KB, 260x200
>>340395445
Because you only interact with anime and video game fans?
>>
>>340395342
Compared to English dubbing, a dead dog, bloated in decomposition with the sound of flies buzzing and excess gas leaking out its festering asshole in post-mortem flatulence is AA.
>>
>>340395137

What were they going to say? "don't worry, Young Bosch is only going to do 6 different roles this time"?

It's pretty much PR bullshit.
>>
>>340395462
Is this a rare word in America?
I hear it all the time.
>>
If you consider japanese and english voice acting work equally shitty in quality

Japan still wins
It's simple, it's an actual industry there, the sheer quantity means more quality makes it through.
English has a handful of voice actors for each gender
>>
>>340395069
Chances are they won't use burch unless they're going full non-union again, which would make half the cast the people funimation uses meaning roosterteeth faggots would be voicing it.
>>
>>340395541
I don't think that's the case. Anybody I know that doesn't want to watch a foreign film in it's original language simply doesn't watch them, because they're well adjusted and know dubbing is trash.
>>
>>340395581
>Compared to English dubbing
Actually in this case, even usual Atlus USA voice team will be one same level as japanese version
>>
>>340395618
Whatever came about with that union strike?
>>
>>340386653
Any criticism against subtitle quality goes for dub quality as well, you need to translate the speech before it can be dubbed.
>>
>>340395676
Literally nothing because no one that mattered supported it.
>>
File: 1456994311334_cr.png (88 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1456994311334_cr.png
88 KB, 300x300
>>340395672
>Actually in this case, even usual Atlus USA voice team will be one same level as japanese version
>>
File: kek.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
kek.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>340395396
>half of the voices are really, really good
>>
>>340395245
But America has no culture, what are you talking about?
>>
File: 1455295663681.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1455295663681.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>340395763
Jokes on you, I didn't specify which ones I like so you can't bluntly call them shit.
>>
Weebs are the fucking worst.
>>
>>340395396
>I liked character that this guy voiced, so he must be a good va
>>
>>340395848
How do you form opinions without using past performance as a benchmark?
>>
>>340395827
>said on anime board which owned by asian about heavily anime stylized Japanese game in jRPG genre
ok
>>
i play games in original language
whatever its japan/english/polac spanish or whatever other shit
>>
>>340395810
But he can call every voice in the game shit, which would include the ones you think are good
>>
You don't even deserve a (you) for that
>>
>>340383895
>Can someone explain, why so many people have a problem with no gook voices in the Persona 5?
Don't get me wrong, I understand the desire to want to change voices because occasionally the English can be bad but nowadays when something isn't to someone's liking, it's incredibly important. Like life or death to them

people who play video games and have no other hobbies are some of the biggest retards on the planet. Prove me wrong
>>
>>340395932
Then you know he's blatantly shitposting.
>>
>>340395931
This anon get it
>>
>>340395931
I played Ass Creed 2 in Italian and that was neat.
How's Witcher 3 in Polish?
>>
>>340396140
>people who play video games and have no other hobbies are some of the biggest retards on the planet. Prove me wrong
no, the biggest ones are the ones who argue on videogame board instead of playing videogames
including us both
>>
>>340395608
Are brits literally cute girls doing cute things the country?
>>
>>340389137
Hayashibara is past her prime, like Rie Kugimiya
Aoi Yuuki and Nana Mizuki are probably the best female seiyuu in the industry right now and Nana is a mainstream musician.
>>
>>340396369
Depends. London looks a lot like Mecca now.
Rural countryside villages are still what you might expect with down to earth people who just mind their own business.
>>
I prefer dubs but why is dual audio still a thing the eludes atlus?

Is it disc space?
>>
Okay, if your precious japanese voices are always so good, then how come that both Rise english voices were far better than gook old harpy one?
>>
>>340396518
Rise, Kanji and Adachi were literally the only good actors, everyone else sucked.
>>
>>340396472
Disc space is a non issue.
Squeenix offers multiple language downloads to get around that.
They wouldn't even need to since audio files aren't that big, but they insist on hard subbing gigantic FMV files for reasons I will never understand and that increases the size by 20GB or so.
>>
>>340396247
dunno , but witcher 1 was..well . translate like shit for sure
>geralt answers a long ass shit
>sub says "ok"
>>
>>340396418
>Aoi Yuuki
>good
You can't be serious
She can only be generic or generic moeblob
>>
>>340395245
>American culture
>culture
>>
>>340396557
>Oh cool we got Laura Bailey
>Ask her to sound like Laura Bailey as much as she can
>We got Troy Baker
>Make sure he sounds exactly like Troy Baker
>Genius! We did it! Another top tier dub!

I like the actors to be honest. I hate the directors though. No imagination.
>>
File: 1463029739624.png (723 KB, 1280x917) Image search: [Google]
1463029739624.png
723 KB, 1280x917
>>340396594
Hello?
Have you looked at this game?
>>
>>340396594
>aoi yuuki has no range
fuck off with your objectively wrong memes when she also voices clementine
>>
Anyone else thing a lot of Japanese voice acting sounds a bit, generic?

Like, they are generally better at voice acting than most low budget dubs don't get me wrong, but they just sound so, boring. A lot of it probably has to do with the fact that I don't really speak Japanese, just the standard "weeb Japanese" But it often feels like English voices have more personality to them. Hell, even a bad VA has something special going for it, even if it is just being bad.

Like every voice actor is a Troy Baker or Nolan North instead of just half of them. We need more Wakamotos.

>>340396558
Don't SE usually release them included? I know FFX PC came with Japanese voices even though you had to mod it in to even get them. Like, at least give as the choice to not download them for us with shitty internet.
>>
>>340396472
Because Atlus are faggots

Although for me when you have companies like Treehouse absolutely butchering the game with 4kids-tier censorship, Fatlus is the lesser of two evils

>>340396518
Because Rie Kugimiya is normally typecasted as fuck playing shitty tsundere
>>
The amount of faggots that do not understand that the original voices convey more actual emotion because they are actually acting like b-tier actors, compared to the american dubs that grab whichever kid wants to work for a free candy bar.

American dubs are the worst in the entire world, it is not hard to understand people dont want that shit.
>>
>it will never be illegal for Atlus to dub games
>>
>>340396643

This is the main problem with western voice acting.

It's 99.9% type casted
>>
>>340396732
>I know FFX PC came with Japanese voices even though you had to mod it in to even get them.
FFX PC didn't get a disc release, you might notice.

They put the game out on disc then put language options out as DLC on day one.
Sometimes they charge you money (DK3)
>>
>>340396643
Reminds me of Steve Blum. Like he as a pretty good range but everyone just asks him to do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd7oC3wmpuA
>>
>>340383895
>>340388048
>Mamoru Miyano
>B-tier

Are you alright?
>>
File: 001ab.png (231 KB, 382x358) Image search: [Google]
001ab.png
231 KB, 382x358
>>340383895
They can hear odd inflections and pronunciations in English.
They can't hear odd inflections or pronunciations in Japanese.

Thus Japanese is better.

It's the dumbest shit of all time. Dualaudiofags literally like it just because it's Japanese.

Just fucking learn Japanese and import games already you fucking weebs.
>>
>>340396803
>Watch Matt Mercer play NPCs in his D&D games
>Each character is new and interesting

>Hear Matt in a video game
>He sounds like Troy Baker
>>
Unintelligible gibberish > Intelligible gibberish
>>
>>340396801
Yeah but not on PC. They removed the Japanese voice option for westerners, but still included the voices. You could mod the exe and get Jap voices and Eng subs though.
>>
>>340396891

So what your're saying it
lylat wars > star fox zero
>>
>>340396902
Must be a licencing work-around then.
>>
File: 1436106746233.jpg (250 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
1436106746233.jpg
250 KB, 560x560
>>340383895
>Can someone explain, why so many people have a problem with no gook voices in the Persona 5?
>I would understand if japanese cast were A-tier professionals, but they are literally B-tier "seiyū", literally no difference compared to the english dub team.
Japanese voices for a japanese game
>>
File: 27.webm (2 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
27.webm
2 MB, 854x480
>>340396594
Fremy, Hibiki, Clementime, Krul, Yagyu etc etc don't fall under generic moeblob.
You must be mistaking her for Hanazawa or something.
>>
File: asa.jpg (17 KB, 318x340) Image search: [Google]
asa.jpg
17 KB, 318x340
>>340396827
>posting in a weeb game thread
>calls other people weebs
How about you fuck off?
>>
>>340396958
Anon the soundless webm does a bad job of displaying her vocal talent.
>>
>>340383895
English VAs for Anime and videogames are plain awful, you can't deny that. There are exceptions obviously, but if even one VA in a major role sucks, everything is ruined.

And Atlus is not suddenly hiring people who actually can voice act like in cartoons or movies. Never gonna happen. They're only gettin C grade anime VAs.
>>
>>340396827
But its nice to hear it acted as the director intended instead of a poor substitute
>>
>>340396252
There is nothing wrong with arguing, if we never argued about anything nothing would ever improve in our world.

There are constructive arguments and worthless arguments pertaining to every interest and medium.
>>
>>340396941
Yeah. But you would think they could at least remove them so we don't have to download like 5-10gb extra for a feature we(legitimately) can't even use.

Fairly certain they did a similar thing with XIII where they had to fucking have duplicates of every pre-rendered cutscene for dual languages taking up a fuckload of space.
>>
>>340396827
source
>>
>>340397106
True, devs don't give a fuck about your hard disk space anymore.
>>
File: 002ab.png (80 KB, 191x215) Image search: [Google]
002ab.png
80 KB, 191x215
>>340397034
ok, so learn Japanese so you can understand it.

All you've done is take the argument one layer back. You haven't actually countered anything. You still don't have the knowledge necessary to truly appreciate the work; You just can't tell when something is bad so you default it to good.
>>
>>340397037
>There are constructive arguments and worthless arguments pertaining to every interest and medium.
thing is that which is which is not up to you to decide.
>>
>>340383895
Because it's a japanese game fucktard.
>>
>>340397028
He doesn't care about voice, he just love characters she voiced
>>
>>340388730
Something like Uncharted, The Witcher 3 and even Mass Effect have good or even excellent dubs, compared to those the ones in Persona are dogshit, Persona 4's dub was alright, but I have no idea where this idea that Persona 3 had a "great dub" comes from, it was a good game but the dub was in worst case dogshit and in best case corny and awkward.
>>
>>340397301
>>340396951

This is the dumbest shit I've ever seen.

Ok, since it takes place in Japan, have Japanese audio.

Just gonna... take these subtitles away...

Oh you didn't know? They don't have subtitles in real life. When someone speaks a language you don't understand you're just fucked.

Also, games aren't real. They don't take place in Japan.
>>
There's absolutely no reason to not have the option.
There's even LESS reason for atlusfags to defend atlus for not putting that option in
>>
>>340397426
>Just gonna... take these subtitles away...
Who plays without subtitles even if you understand the language?
>>
>>340397345
That's reasonable of him.
Past performance is always an indicator of future results.

If more people on /v/ learned this they might stop buying shitty games.
>>
>>340397034
Not in case with persona
Director doesn't give a shit how characters sounds, see undub versions of p3 and p4
Akira Ishida was the only one who tried to do something, but of course his role didn't had many lines
>>
>>340397426
Are you serious or retarded ?
>>
>>340397426
This is the most retarded shit I have ever read in a Persona thread.

>Oh you didn't know? They don't have subtitles in real life. When someone speaks a language you don't understand you're just fucked.
It's a videogame

>Also, games aren't real. They don't take place in Japan.
What? Just because it's a work of fiction doesn't mean it can't take place in a real place, or are you going to tell me that Saving private Ryan doesn't take place in France during WW2,(it takes place on a hollywood set huehuehue).
>>
To be honest a lot of the time it's not even the VA's that are to blame but the shitty writing.

Pretty much nobody can make that awkward stuff sound natural. It's not as noticeable when it's read in your head or in a language you don't know.

Like just look at FFX and what they had to do during the cut scenes.

You could take Simon Templeman at the top of his game and even then it would sound pretty off most of the time.
>>
>>340397669
I want to hear Morgan Freeman do Tidus' "AHAHAHAHAHA" line.
>>
>>340383895
Do burgers really listen to their animu and vidya with US cast ?
That's kinda hilarious.
>>
>>340397183
is this futalink
>>
>>340397426
>This is the dumbest shit I've ever seen.
Then you should probably start proofreading your own posts
>>
>>340397741
They also force non-Americans to do the same thing.
>>
>>340383895
Because it's cringe worthy listening to Japanese honorifics in English.
>>
>>340397741
Niggers can't read
America is 60% white
do the math
>>
>>340397516
I already brought it in the previous thread, Momoka from sabagebu. Great and entertaining character in the anime with many lines, but her VA is talantless garbage who proved many times that she can't act or improvise for shit.
Director can make any VA sound good, VA only needed to attract retards money, nothing more. Almost anyone can do such a job. They are treated like a garbage in the industry for very good reason
>>
>>340397591
>it takes place on a hollywood set
Actually, it doesn't. They filmed that shit in Ireland.
>>
>>340383895
Because gooks got real voice actors that know what they're doing.
>>
Can anyone explain to me why so many people are against dual audio?
How does it affect anyone who prefers the dub? How is their experience changed in any way whatsoever?
>>
>>340398025
Waste of space on my console
>>
>>340398025
Professionally trained Atlus USA fans.
>>
f-fucking weebs
>he says while playing his japanese highschool waifu simulator
>>
>>340398081
It's allright since the ps4 got no games to use that space anyway
>>
File: 011ab.png (123 KB, 281x311) Image search: [Google]
011ab.png
123 KB, 281x311
>>340397808
No
And it's drgraevling
>>
>>340397919
To bad they are so caught up in their training they never dare to do interesting stuff.

Like there is zero difference between different "street thug" voices in Japanese media. Itäs ridiculous.
>>
>>340398025
If it was sub only you wouldn't have to leave /v/ for 7 months to avoid spoilers.
>>
>>340398192
Is he still doing stuff?

Must feel a bit sad to know you've become famous for making fanart of a game that is now dead.
>>
>>340398284
No one is asking for sub only
>>
File: 1428017159101.jpg (34 KB, 343x417) Image search: [Google]
1428017159101.jpg
34 KB, 343x417
>>340384053
Oh but a shoddy english sub is ok?

You fucking retard if you want Japanese audio go get the Japanese version and you get Japanese text as well!
Oh you can't actually understand the language you demand? too bad kid get fucked

Fucking autists really.
>>
How can anyone prefer a dub? They just gangpress the studio's janitorial team into the recording room for fuck's sake. Dual audio is fine but are dubs really so popular that they should be the only option? Are there that many fags who utterly lack the ability to recognize garbage when they hear it who play JRPGs in the west today? Fucking Christ Fatlus if I hear one more Sasami I swear I'll boycott your everything forever.
>>
>>340383895
But they are A tier professionals, you fucking retard
>>
>Ashley Burch
>>
>>340383895
Hearing words you don't understand is better than cringey voice acting sometimes.
>>
>>340383895
>A-ha is this our chance?
>>
Because people think american dubs are shit, which they are.
The japanese voices and acting are just as awful, but since people don't understand japanese other than the handful of words they know, they think it's wonderful.

They both suck ass. Go watch variety shows and you'll see how retarded japanese voice acting sounds.

IMO the biggest problem with american voice acting is that it looks like there are 10 voice actors in the entire US and they do everything.
>>
>>340398192
thanks senpai
>>
File: I came here to laugh at you.jpg (80 KB, 437x295) Image search: [Google]
I came here to laugh at you.jpg
80 KB, 437x295
>I would understand if japanese cast were A-tier professionals, but they are literally B-tier "seiyū"

This is how you know the thread is bait and shouldn't be taken seriously. Fucking Char, the Darth Vader of Japan is voicing this shit..

Also pic related, Vagina-san.
>>
>>340398465
>How can anyone prefer a dub
you know anime faggots who go to western comic cons and cosplay, also have anime girl avatars and bought 1 figma so they call themselves weeaboos
those ones.
>>
>>340398465
Uneducated burgers that can't enjoy something unless it's in their own filthy language, which itself is a raped version of real english.
>>
>>340398586
>The japanese voices and acting are just as awful, but since people don't understand japanese other than the handful of words they know, they think it's wonderful.
This is the most retarded excuse I see in this debate.
By your own logic, how the fuck would you know either? You don't know jap any better than subfags
>>
>>340398691
That's the thing, man.
I've lived and talked with japanese people for a long while, and subbed a lot of variety material.
Then you go back and watch any sort of anime and just to drop it all and walk away. Not just anime but dramas also.
>>
>>340398586
>You don't know jap so you can't really tell if people are ACTING nice

Truly the most retarded argument that's parroted all the time. If you can't tell the emotion (or lack of it depending on the character) coming out of someone's voice you're simply autistic.
>>
>>340383895
Because some things are only ok in anime. Hearing Jap voices that go with the anime style is better because you are used to associating weird over the top characters and the way they talk dramatically with anime and Japanese.
Hearing a dub is like watching a live action adaptation. It's cringey because it doesn't sound natural and does not fit the look of the characters.
>>
>>340398827
My dad works for Toei and he says you're full of shit
>>
>>340384053
>I don't want a shitty english dub in a japanese game set in japan with japanese culture
>In fact, I don't want anyone non-japanese or someone like me who has studied Japanese culture ALL his life even play this game ( I live in Arizona but I'm practically Japanese because my grandfather fought in Pearl Harbour, I have even taken a japanese name and wear kimono and a katana every day at school)
>This is a japanese game for japanese people
Yeah fuck off weeb.

I play what I want and if I want an English dub let me have it.
>>
File: 01-Bird-Char-Lalah-and-Char.jpg (73 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
01-Bird-Char-Lalah-and-Char.jpg
73 KB, 1280x720
>>340398608
if only it was a bait
this dual audio thing especially regarding Atlus games going for so long, it can't possibly be one
There are legitimately convinced people that Eng dub is better.
>>
>>340398827
>American Cartoon characters don't really speak like real american people, so the voice acting is bad

This is what you're seriously saying.
>>
>>340398937
No one is saying you can't have a dub you fucking sperg.
>>
>>340383895
There is no obligation for western dub crews to return to their characters.
Almost all of the Persona 4 were recast in the sequels.
Some Western VAs have signed into unions that require incremental increase in pay if they have to return to voice a character. Therefore there is no character voice loyalty in western VA culture.

And if you use Japanese VA the voices will very likely be the same ones you know and love.
>>
>>340398937
>plays japanese games
>call other weeb
>>
>>340399130
There is a difference in playing games and sleeping with a pillow with an anime girl printed on it.
>>
File: 00.jpg (60 KB, 600x906) Image search: [Google]
00.jpg
60 KB, 600x906
I love Aoi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tth8RBM0Ol8
https://u.pomf.io/efbilj.webm
https://u.pomf.io/xwghdw.webm
https://youtu.be/VbX2kOainRY?t=1m46s
https://youtu.be/WuaWVPbMkk0?t=1m30s
https://a.pomf.cat/mmioqw.webm
>>
>>340398896
Oh no, you can tell what emotions they are trying to convey, but the way words and sentences are pronounced in japanese anime and games (for most of the time) is often exaggerated and makes them sound like super heroes who are trying too hard. Same happens with american voice acting. Hardly any of it sounds natural. Same thing happens there.

>>340398968
Yes. Out of all games you've played, how many actually sounded like something you'd hear in real life in terms of emotions and such? Be honest now.
>>
>>340383895
Fun Fact :

The Japanese voice actors are just as terrible as the English ones. You just can't tell because you're not Japanese.
>>
>>340399119
That's literally what this thread is about?

People sperging over how there is just an english dub but no original japanese voices
>>
>>340399284
You seem to think that you can't have both for a western release.
>>
>>340399205
there is also a difference between sleeping with a pillow of an anime girl and preferring japanese audio
nobody takes your dubs away
>>
>>340399274
>Hardly any of it sounds natural. Same thing happens there.
So? That's not really the point, is it? Sounding natural and sounding good isn't the same thing
>>
>>340399126
>were recast in the sequels

And the quality nosedived, especially come Dancing.

NuNaoto didn't sound nearly as good. Mercer can do a bootleg Baker but sadly, thats all he hired for.

I can't believe I actually miss EDGE MAVERICK.
>>
>>340399284
Do you understand the concept of dual audio? It's dual. You get both languages. You can pick the one you want. You get what you want, I get what I want. There is nothing for you to complain about here.
>>
>>340399274
Acting like in real life doesn't mean it's good or bad. Cartoons (even western ones) are usually more over-the-top in nature.

Of course normal japanese women don't all have squaeaky school girl voices or all men have ultra deep voices but that really has nothing to do with quality acting.
>>
>>340399415
>>340399480
So by your standards, voice acting quality is measured by how good the voice is, regardless of how shitty the emotions portrayed might be?
>>
>>340399625
But they're not portrayed shittily in japanese, at least not with the kinda cast that P5 has going for.
Exaggeration is not the same as a poor portrayal
>>
>>340383895

Because they're fucking weebs who even after all these years STILL can't stand the idea of an English dub, even though I can guarantee 90% of the faggots will still be reading the dub's SCRIPT rather than listening to the actual dialog.

There's no practical purpose for it. It will actually cost Atlus USA a fuckton of spare change just to license the audio track. They would rather put a dent in the wallet of the company that already does a good amount for its fans than listen to the language they've been speaking most of their lives.
>>
>>340399278
Even if that does turn out to be true, so what? If someone enjoys the original voices more he enjoys them more. The reason doesn't really matter, does it? Are you going to start complaining about people asking for other game features because you don't feel like their reasons for enjoying them are good enough? Do you think it's just fake enjoyment or something?
>>
If you liked the P4 undub more than the English dub, you're fucking insane.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.