[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it really that bad? Or are the people who shit on it just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 16
File: WiiUStarFoxZeroboxart.jpg (238 KB, 656x938) Image search: [Google]
WiiUStarFoxZeroboxart.jpg
238 KB, 656x938
Is it really that bad? Or are the people who shit on it just retarded and can't into the controls?
>>
It's not as bad as people make it out to be, but the controls aren't very good and the rushed-feeling levels/extra modes and levels and such leaves it feeling a bit bad.
The thing that a lot of people are sorta realizing now is that Kid Icarus: Uprising was a far better Star Fox game than this, and did odd controls much better if you weren't a retard who could figure out the way you needed to hold the 3DS while playing, anyways.
>>
Even if the controls were good, the fact that it's overall kind of uninspired and retreads a lot of Star Fox 64, after the previous game was a straight up remake of 64, is just fucking unbelievably lazy.
>>
>>340373568
The latter. It's a fantastic title.
>>
IMO the controls are fucking great and one of the best things about the game. And while a handful of levels are fantastic, the others are obviously rushed filler and there's not enough levels even after counting the filler.

Awesome core, unfinished game. Overall a fun but obviously flawed experience. I don't think it'd be fair to give it anything more than a 7/10. I personally love it, but that's just me being subjective and also loving the first legitimately good bit of gameplay we've gotten in ages in this series. There's nothing like it.
>>
>>340373568
yes and no. i suggest trying it out first to see if you like the mandatory motion controls. i had fun (while it lasted) but it's definitely not worth $60.
>>
>>340373568
It's not worth more than $20
>>
>>340373568
i own it and i am convinced that nintendo is shoehorning the motion control/touchpad shit in just to make it impossible to emulate and pirate their games on PC

there is literally no other reason to just shit all over everything like this
>>
>>340374018
I really enjoyed Kid Icarus, but I could never get a handle on the controls because I'm left handed. I always knew that I was retarded.
>>
they are quite literally retarded

the game starts out with a tutorial sequence and you can get the hang of the controls in 10 seconds
>>
>>340374982
Worked so well for the Wii and DS, eh?
>>
>>340374018
Uprising was better than any Star Fox and even either Sin and Punishment. Sakurai quite simply struck solid gold with it.

>>340375585
To be fair, the DS' touchscreen can be replicated extremely easily with a mouse clic and so can the Wii Remote's pointer. The interaction between the controller and the tv screen with the Wii U is significantly harder to emulate on a conceptual level short of outright connecting a Gamepad to the PC, which kinda defeats the purpose.
>>
It's actually a pretty fun game. It's just that learning the controls can be frustrating, and some will lose the the drive to continue playing due to the learning process.

I know I almost did, and I was about to return it until suddenly, it just clicked. Soon afterwards, I was shooting niggers out of the sky, dodging shit like no tomorrow and handing Wolf his ass. It's a little on the short side, and a little too easy in some cases, but overall I did enjoy myself. I'd give it a 7/10.
>>
The controls aren't the real problem with Zero.
It's the levels, excess all-range mode, and significant lack of additional content.
>but 64
64 at least had a hard mode that altered enemy placement and made it easier to lose your wings, something that can't even happen in Zero. Not to mention multiplayer.
If you're going to remake 64 AGAIN, don't remove things.
>>
>>340375294
Isn't there an option if you use the circle pad pro?
>>
>>340373568
it really just needed more levels, more polish, and some small tweaks with the controls

overall, the controls are great when you get used to them.

I don't know how a kid is supposed to learn them though

I enjoyed the game, it was fun but flawed
>>
>>340376879
I haven't played the game since release, but I remember that it was still really fucky, even with that thing. Then again, I stand by my statement of being retarded, so take that as you will.
>>
>>340376289
>I was shooting niggers out of the sky
But Panther isn't in the game.
>>
It's not the worst thing ever, the problem is like all of the new features take away from the game's experience, instead of add to it. And if you remove those things then it's just Starfox 64.
>>
>>340373568
I've beaten the game and only beaten aquarosa or whatever the first secret boss is when it comes to secrets.

The controls are terrible for everything but rail shooting. Every other section that isn't arwing or landmaster is incredibly tedious to control. Especially in all-range mode.

>that entire gyrowing level

Jesus christ what a nightmare to control that shit around. It's not hard, just tedious, slow and boring.
>>
>>340378656
What were they thinking with the Gyrowing?

>You know what Starfox needs? A really fucking slow vehicle.
>>
>>340373568
It is enjoyable. Controls are complicated but if you played all the starfox games before it they will make sense. Music, enemies, etc. is really good.
The real bad thing about it is how the lylat system is played (just like Bayonetta, you have missions/planets)
>>
It's worth it if you never had the chance to play a Star Fox game before
>>
>>340379081
At a $60 price? I doubt it. Just get Starfox 64 3D off eshop or Starfox 64 on Wii U VC, it even has rumble added back in.
>>
It's better than Command, i guess.
>>
>>340373568
>r are the people who shit on it just retarded and can't into the contr
this.
>>
>>340373568
I played it at a friends house and i thought it was fun,i just wouldn't pay sixty bucks for it.
>>
>>340376016
>on a conceptual level
That and I'm pretty sure it uses some sort of Wi-Fi implementation to communicate with the console, rather than bluetooth or something similar.
>>
>>340381365
I'm in the very process of syncing a pro controller to my laptop for use as a gaming controller and that makes use of Bluetooth, so at least it does support it (you can also sync the Gamepad from what I've read).
>>
>>340378818
Personally I think the Gyrowing would definitely have a place in an adventure/assault like side game but it does feel out of place in the normal star fox stuff
>>
File: 1436642280473.jpg (23 KB, 467x308) Image search: [Google]
1436642280473.jpg
23 KB, 467x308
Is it me, or does Platinum only make masterpieces when they make their own IPs?

Their past couple titles have been garbage because they have to work with someone else's characters
>>
>>340382271
Do we even know how much involvement they had in SFZ?
>>
File: Star Fox Zero sucks.jpg (2 MB, 975x1600) Image search: [Google]
Star Fox Zero sucks.jpg
2 MB, 975x1600
>>340373568
Even if they didn't have the bad controls it would have still been a bad game and a bad Star Fox game. We did not need a 4th version of the original Star Fox, especially not one that is inferior to past versions.
>>
>>340373568
Nah, it's pretty fucking terrible. Played the first two missions and was done fucking with it.

GameMakers Toolkit did a good video on it.
>>
File: 245784583586.jpg (82 KB, 650x433) Image search: [Google]
245784583586.jpg
82 KB, 650x433
>>340382271
While I'm pretty sure Platinum could give two shits when they're doing licensed games, I think the blame lies with Miyamoto more than anyone else. Under Konami's supervision they did a fine job with MGR, but SFZ it was a disaster. Miyamoto is supposed to be one of the great living legends of the industry but SFZ comes across as a cry for help from a man losing his grip on reality, and running back to a safe, familiar space to keep from losing himself but not really having it fully together.
>>
>>340382908
>Nah, it's pretty fucking terrible. Played the first two missions and was done fucking with it.
I'm not saying it's wrong to drop something you weren't liking, but this isn't the kind of game you can fairly judge with that little experience since it takes time getting used to.
>>
>>340382403
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/star-fox-zero-in-hindsight-the-developers-on-the-controls-the-decision-not-to-include-multiplayer-and-the-future-of-star-fox

>"In terms of what PlatinumGames was in charge of, overall, Mr. Hayashi was involved with planning overall for the game, and then PlatinumGames was in charge of basically all of the visual elements of the game. Character models, animations, background, basically anything visual on the game was something handled by Platinum."
>>
>>340373568
It's not bad, but there are legitimate complaints against it. It manages to be better than Assault, Adventures and Command though, but that's not saying a whole lot.

Gyrowing being an awful mechanic that luckily was only for a level, there should've been more branching levels, no expert mode and no multiple endings make up the bulk of it though.
>>
File: 2457245824598.png (162 KB, 303x308) Image search: [Google]
2457245824598.png
162 KB, 303x308
>>340383254
>so what we want people to get out of this game is being able to get used to these controls, master these controls, feel like they're able to do cool things with them, go for higher scores - really enjoy the arcade action

Is this the 1970s? Do people really give 2 shits about high scores anymore? Star Fox Zero doesn't even have online leaderboards, which makes scores seem pretty pointless (no pun intended).
>>
>>340384217
>Is this the 1970s? Do people really give 2 shits about high scores anymore?
No, but that's the type of game Star Fox is.
>>
File: 3568356939.jpg (52 KB, 497x360) Image search: [Google]
3568356939.jpg
52 KB, 497x360
>>340383707
Nigga Zero hardly has anything on Assault. Assault had a brand new campaign, and more importantly it had an absolutely GOAT multiplayer mode that people kept playing for years. Next to Melee it had arguably the biggest non-networked multiplayer scene on the GC.

Zero is a game you will play for a few hours, get bored with and then forget about.
>>
>>340384350
I've been playing Star Fox for years and I never paid attention to my score unless it was in multiplayer, which Zero doesn't have.
>>
>>340373568
The latter. Zero is the closest thing to 64 we got in years. I am glad they retconned all post 64 games and returned to the original gameplay.
That being said, the game is far from being perfect but it's a step in the right direction.
>>
File: 1388709519787.jpg (394 KB, 1247x774) Image search: [Google]
1388709519787.jpg
394 KB, 1247x774
>>340373568

Bottom Line: It's Star Fox 64 with worse controls.

The only thing they improved was the graphics, and at the same time, fucked up hard with the mandatory motion controls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srto-g83Lgs
>>
>>340384498
>Assault had a brand new campaign
One that was forgettable as fuck plagued with bad decisions like the on-foot missions that were even worse than what Zero had and content that had even less than what Zero had to offer?

I'll give you the point on the multiplayer though since that was enjoyable as fuck, but that shit was just a distraction at best.
>>
File: 34724572458.jpg (103 KB, 321x352) Image search: [Google]
34724572458.jpg
103 KB, 321x352
>>340384740
>>The latter. Zero is the closest thing to 64 we got in years.

Incorrect. 643D was the closest thing we got to 64 in years. Zero superficially resembles 64 but it's a lot shittier.
>>
>>340385804
643D was a 1:1 remake. Zero is a reboot. And yes, Zero is not as good as 64 like I said, far from perfect. Still better than everything post 64, like Adventures and Command.
>>
File: star fox team.jpg (82 KB, 500x738) Image search: [Google]
star fox team.jpg
82 KB, 500x738
>>340385424
On foot combat was at least better than that gay chicken walker. And I will sure as hell remember Assault's campaign a lot longer than I'll remember Zero's, because Zero did almost nothing to distinguish itself from Star Fox 64 as far as the story went. Zero will forever have to live in SF64's shadow, while at least with Star Fox Assault we got some cool stuff like the Aparoids and Star Fox and Star Wolf having to join forces, plus those neat little dialogues between levels.

In pretty much every way, Assault was a much more ambitious game than Zero. It might not have fully succeeded in every area it was aiming for, but at least was trying something new that didn't involve reinventing something that didn't need to be reinvented (controls).
>>
>>340383254
>Hire developers that are reputed for high-velocity games
>relegate them to pointless visual busy work while Nintendo ruins the game by adding shit nobody asked for

ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS REHASH 64, HAVE LIKE 30 PLANETS, AND MAKE IT CUHRAYZEE.
>>
>>340373568
People are retarded. They do badly at the game because they consider a central mechanic "a slapped on gimmick". Being able to aim and move seperately is a massive improvement.
>>
>>340383254
>basically anything visual on the game was something handled by Platinum
so we have another Metroid other M scenario?
>>
>>340386967
Being able to move and aim separately is why we put two sticks on a controller. We didn't need to have a turret with a separate screen on the controller. That is like the dumbest, most counter-intuitive way to fly and shoot in two different directions ever made. The military certainly didn't think it was a good idea, which is why Apachi helicopter pilots aim guns with their head and not a Wii U pad.
>>
File: 1402275488904.png (11 KB, 393x458) Image search: [Google]
1402275488904.png
11 KB, 393x458
>>340387354
Bingo.
>>
>>340387380
>Being able to move and aim separately is why we put two sticks on a controller.

That's why controller FPS/TPS all have aim assist, yet Star Fox Zero doesn't need to even though you're shooting weak points at a variety of angles while being a constantly moving object.

Star Fox Zero's aiming is still better than any dual stick set up could be.
>>
>>340386065
Compared to the chicken walker, on foot was forced as fuck and controlled much worse. It also sure didn't take up several entire levels and was more of a supplement. The Aparoids were nowhere near as compelling as Andross's army and if we talk from a story perspective, there was more of a personal motivation with fighting Andross since the Aparoids just amounted to being a deadly threat. Sure, Assault was ambitious and tried to do things differently, but that doesn't mean much if it's not executed well.
>>
>>340386967

>requiring an arbitrary extra screen to fly and shoot is a massive improvement

Hundreds of other rail shooter games can do the same thing with only one screen, including 64.

Basically, everything you could do on one screen in 64 requires alternating between two screens in Zero. It's aaaaasssssss.
>>
>>340387809

Except you can't see where your ship is moving while shooting, and you can't tell where you're shooting at while you're watching where you're moving.
>>
>>340387380

Gyro controls > stick controls

Can you provide an camera system for flying and aiming seperately that isn't functionally identical to one of the cameras in zero?
>>
>>340387880
>Hundreds of other rail shooter games can do the same thing with only one screen, including 64.

Bullshit, there's absolutely no way 64 could handle any of the All-Range Mode sections of Star Fox Zero.

The true final boss in 64 was easier and simpler than Dodora in Zero.
>>
>>340387880
Star fox zero requires you to do things that would not be possible with the 64 control scheme.
>>
>>340388121

Let me guess, you need to switch to the controller screen to make accurate shots on the glowy parts of the boss? Golly gee, what a unique feature.
>>
>>340388020
>Except you can't see where your ship is moving while shooting

Yes you can because the aiming is a 1st person perspective.
>>
>>340383254
But it's running on their engine
>>
>>340388578

Then what is the point of the television screen?
>>
>>340388578
>>340388020

The green translucent outline of the cockpit window also displays the direction the ship is moving even when you're aiming in a different direction.
>>
I tried to like it, and I wanted to like it cause I am huge star fox fan, but I couldn't do it. I just can't focus on moving, turning the gamepad to aim, and knowing when to reset the gyro. I am great at motion controls in Splatoon, but this game made me realize that I could do it there because not much happens in Splatoon matches. Star Fox Zero simply convinced me now that if gyro aiming is put into a new game instalment for a franchise that I enjoy, I am not going to bother trying it. Unless you can simply turn it off, or it doesn't make enough of a impact to change the game much.
>>
>>340388578
I can't shoot anything in third person, and god forbid I try first person while not in a open empty field. It causes me to run into everything while I shoot things. By crippling both screens so you have to switch between them to get anything done, it makes both screens useless.
>>
>>340388714

The standard view is zoomed out, you'll won't be able to keep track of enemies locations easily in cockpit view. Especially in the case of the Star Wolf dogfights since unlike 64 they don't just anchor themselves behind Peppy, Falco and Slippy for the whole fight.
>>
Forced motion controls when they were not necessary. Fucking awful decision by Nintendo in a vain attempt to keep their gimmick controller relevant.
>>
>>340388868
Makes them useless to you because you are garbage at video games.
>>
File: 1373775425196.jpg (9 KB, 299x293) Image search: [Google]
1373775425196.jpg
9 KB, 299x293
>>340389142

>git gud card

So if Nintendo requires players to blow into the mic for Mario to jump, players will hate it because they're bad at video games, right?
>>
>>340389428
Starfox camera system allows good players to shoot and fly into different directions, mapping jumping to blowing into the mic would not bring any benefit.
>>
>>340373568
Only issue is that there's not a ton of content.
Controls are great and I would not want to go back to N64 controls after playing this.
>>
File: 1423061997086.png (508 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1423061997086.png
508 KB, 1000x1000
>>340374018
>Uprising was a far better Star Fox game than this,
>>
>>340373568
I like the controls and it has a lot of potential. Were it a 40$ launch title I wouldn't take much issue with it, but it really felt like it was just rushed out so it could release before the Wii U was entirely dead a buried.
I had fun with it for sure, but it almost felt more like a tech demo of the Wii U's concepts and capabilities than a full game.
>>
File: NioH.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
NioH.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>>340373568
-It's shorter than a fucking demo released around the same time

-It's more disappointing than said demo

-it's 100% more expensive than the free demo

-the ONLY threads about SFX are always "Is it really that bad?" or "What went wrong" and most of the time die within 100 posts, if that.

So yes it was obviously a disappointing game for most people. Worked on areas that didn't need workin' and left out others that should've been improved. It's also the THIRD time SF gets "remade", this one should have had a new plot, a new villian, etc. But no.
>>
>>340374982
Those kinds of things aren't hard to emulate. A Wii U emulator is already making good progress.
>>
>>340383254
>Hire Platinum Games
>Don't make them work on the gameplay
Is Nintendo retarded or?
>>
It's 64 with much less content with only easy mode.
>>
Why wasn't the Roadmaster used for anything other than training?
>>
It's a modern Nintendo game built around selling you Amiibo.
Do you need an answer?
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.