[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I love Brogue for it's inherent simplicity. You don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: brogue4.jpg (152 KB, 1239x802) Image search: [Google]
brogue4.jpg
152 KB, 1239x802
I love Brogue for it's inherent simplicity.
You don't need to mess about with character builds,
you don't spend time grinding,
exploration is fun as hell,
lots of varied enemy types,
different weapons & items really change how you approach situations,
compact & interesting dungeon levels that almost feel hand-crafted

I need more. Asked the dev if there's any other RL like it, he said no and how that's the reason he made the game.

I'm in despair! I heard SIL and Infra Arcana are a bit similar, but I couldn't get into them.

I need something as great as Brogue! Please help me.
Also discuss Roguelikes if you wanna. (Not Stone Soup though, that shit sucks)
>>
>>340302078
You might try IVAN if you haven't already. I haven't spent much time with brogue, but it sounds like the two may have similar strengths.

I also had a lot of fun with DoomRL, which is less similar, but still a fun and comparatively simple roguelike.
>>
>>340302767
DoomRL always ended up feeling a bit repetitive for me. I always take the same kind of shottygun char, raid the needed special levels, get killed somewhere down.. it starts feeling samey.
>>
>>340303002
I did end up putting less time into it than I did IVAN and Nethack, because it seemed like there were comparatively few solutions to problems other than constantly shooting around corners.

It was fun for a while, though. I enjoyed it more than Stone Soup, which seemed like Nethack with a new hat and some extra blandness.
>>
>>340302078
What about Sil? I've heard very good things about Sil.
>>
>>340303530
Well shit, that's what I get for not reading the whole OP.
>>
>>340302767
How do you even get good at DoomRL? I have played it a few times but it seems basically impossible to not trade damage every time you fight and ultimately I just get worn down because I'm taking damage faster than I can recover. I feel like I'm doing something fundamentally wrong.
>>
>>340304372
It's been a while since I played, but it largely comes down to working out how cover works (targeting enemies from around corners) and exploiting it as much as possible. Knowing when to switch to the run stance is also important: enemies have an increased chance of missing while you're moving, and the run stance increases this significantly.

Blind-firing is also occasionally useful. Enemies can't do much if you shoot them from outside visual range.
>>
>>340304372
In my limited experience, the easiest way is to use shotguns and shoot around corners, but other guns work too if you just make sure you're not facing too many enemies at once.
I think it's also possible to shoot blindly into the fog of war and detect enemies by their screams but fuck that.
>>
>>340305149
>Knowing when to switch to the run stance is also important: enemies have an increased chance of missing while you're moving, and the run stance increases this significantly.
Besides a chance to miss, they also have a chance to fire at the tile you were before instead. So moving perpendicular to their line of fire can help. Especially against the cyberdemon.
>>
>>340302078
My beef with Brogue was that you constantly ended up encountering the same puzzles.
Also not having a starting class, just makes you feel at the mercy of RGN a bit too much.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.