[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PSone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11
File: Muh Story.jpg (1 MB, 2137x1412) Image search: [Google]
Muh Story.jpg
1 MB, 2137x1412
I'm starting to think the original Playstation might be the most overrated console. I don't want to jump to such a conclusion because I never owned one growing up, but I came into possession of one about 5 months ago and I've been going through a lot of the core games (Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, Chrono Cross, Resident Evil, Legend of the Dragoon, Parasite Eve) and everything is just off putting about the delivery. It's like the devs wanted to show off the 3D capabilities of the time and as a result there's bulbous polygonal figures everywhere that have aged far worse than the sprites of the earlier consoles before the PS1 and there's cutscenes fucking everywhere, always accompanied by some of the most atrocious loading times I've ever been witness to.

For example, right now I'm playing through Mega Man X4. I'm very farmiliar with the first three games as well as the earlier NES games. I can't go 5 minutes in this game without everything stopping and more text boxes popping up to advance the plot. I don't care, just let me play fucking Mega Man. If you want to have a story that's fine, but don't impede my progress multiple times a level just to shove more text boxes and cringey anime cutscenes in my face. The actual game here probably isn't even that bad but it's so hard to appreciate when it keeps stopping every few minutes to spew more diologue.

Anyway, I obviously can't speak for the entire library, but as of now it seems pretty clear to me that this console spawned the cinematic approach that in fests the AAA industry today.

Thanks for reading my shitty blog.
>>
You're actually pretty spot on.

The PS1 has not aged well at all. At the time, it was really cool to have because the cutscenes were really neat and new for gaming, especially on a console, but from a more objective standpoint all the story pandering really is more intrusive than it is helpful.

And as far as Mega Man X goes, they only get worse.
>>
Nice try James Nintendo Nerd
>>
Crash and Spyro have aged wonderfully
>>
>>340277078

Most people agree that the PSOne sucked
>>
>>340277310
Crash 1 and 2 have aged well.
3 is all over the place with itself.

Spiro? No. God no.
>>
>>340277078
>never owned one growing up, but

Stopped reading there.
>>
but the ps1 had really great RPG's

Breath of Fire IV
FF 7/8/9
Suikoden
The one where the protag had grey hair, but stupid hairtentacles like Seymour (similar combat as ->)
Parasite Eve

and a few other gr8 games, like the Crash Bandicoot series, the first tomb raiders, dino crisis, resident evils, there are a lot of cool games. only thing that sucked very hard was that the discs were super easy to break
>>
>>340277310
The camera and slippery controls make Spyro really hard to come back to.
>>
>>340277392
>unless you're blinded by nostalgia, then you can't truely appreciate something at face value
If anything it's the other way around
>>
>>340277078

Games like Megaman Legends, Fear Effect and Vagrant Story still look pretty decent. I'm playing Legends 2 for the first time now and story scenes in it are better animated than even some current gen games I have played.
>>
All that I can say is the PS1 had the best Disney games with Tarzan and Hercules. PS1 had a pretty hefty number of RPGs, a lot of Megaman games, gems like Vigilante 8, Strider, Incredible Crisis and Digimon World is all that I could ask for.
>>
>>340277418
I half agree.

The PSOne's strength is in its RPG library.

But everything else is.... varying levels of meh. And if it's any better, it's usually a multiplat, such as Tomb Raider
>>
The PSX library has a metric fuckton of hidden gems
>>
>>340277748
Those Disney games were all better on PC.
>>
It didn't look as good as some N64 games, that's for sure.

I got a PSX at about age 14 after a couple years into its life. It just had this stunningly wide selection of games that nobody could ignore. There was something there for everybody, from hardcore nerds to hella dudebros.
>>
>>340277787
i also forgot Spyro and Croc m9. these were so fucking awesome
>>
>>340277858
>The PSX library has a metric fuckton of hidden gems
Yeah, no.
What it has is a metric fuck ton of sheer games.
The overwhelming majority of them don't hold up today. Even some of the more famous ones like FFVII are just a chore to play through.
Just like OP said, older console libraries have aged better
>>
>>340277308
I read the whole thing in his voice.
>>
>>340277861

Well of course for now but PC didn't have that much power to emulate in the 90s.
>>
>>340277078
I can tell you only played the first level of X4.
After that one it doesn't stop you mid stage to talk except in 2 or 3 more stages which are explaining the story.

Anyway PS1 is considered good because of the library. Back then, game companies were trying out all kinds of new ideas, nowadays we just get rehashed ideas and clones of other games.

You don't see games like Crash or Spyro anymore that are cartoonish collect-a-thons. There are a good amount of unique games.
>>
File: disneys-tarzan-03.png (409 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
disneys-tarzan-03.png
409 KB, 800x600
>>340278032
I'm not talking about emulation.
I owned both Tarzan and Hercules on PC in the 90s.
>>
>>340277078
If you're annoyed by the text boxes in X4, never play X5.
>>
>>340277078
You aren't wrong, a lot of the games of that generation have aged very poorly and are clearly products of its time and little more.
>>
>>340277908
Well yeah, they didn't have an identity yet so they dabbled for a multitude of genres. That passed onto the PS2 till they hit God of War and RE4 where they found their brand for "Cinematic Experience". I wonder if we would be able to experience that creative transitional time ever again from any vidya company.
>>
File: 1355150285598.jpg (21 KB, 536x400) Image search: [Google]
1355150285598.jpg
21 KB, 536x400
>Games age
>>
File: Playstation-logo-colour.png (85 KB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
Playstation-logo-colour.png
85 KB, 2272x1704
The Playstation is probably the best example of a console that was easily the best to own in its generation at the time of release but today just doesn't hold up very well.

The Playstation's strength was in its sheer quantity of games. There was something for literally every niche of person to enjoy. You could get one for a family of 10 and everyone would have something to play.

But if you're going back and playing a console you never had, you're not going tow ant to waste time on just the ok games or the good games. You want the truely great games, the masterpieces. All that variety isn't worth as much anymore, what instead matters are how many games have stood the test of times and can really impress by modern standards, and the PS1 really just doesn't have that many of them. It would mostly just feel like shovelware.

This is why a lot of PS1 babbies like >>340277392 would argue that "if you didn't grow up with one, you wouldn't understand", and they're partially right. It really was something else to have a PS1 in gen 5, but at the same time, a truely good game is good when it comes out AND today, and the PS1 really suffers in that department.
>>
>>340278763
I can agree with this.

PS1 has a large quantity of decent games, but not many masterpieces.
I mean, as a kid I thought they were all masterpieces, but that's the point.
There's definitely some that still hold up, but others...

Let's just say I'll always have my copy of Jersey Devil on my shelf, for old times sake, but I would never actually reccomended that game to someone today.
>>
File: 1455916012013.gif (1 MB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
1455916012013.gif
1 MB, 443x332
I'm not really a Playstation fan but I am a huge Mega Man fan.

OP, if you think Mega Man X4 is tough to play through for how invasive the story is, then stop with that one, because it only gets worse.

And no, legends is not good. Wouldn't call it bad either, but I can't reccomended it.
>>
>>340278763
I can attest to this with Tenchu and MGS1 which are really hard to get back to with the old janky controls and movement. Platformers not named Crash suffers from age really bad.

PS2 games is the only old Sony console that can actually still be enjoyable today, I still can't put a dent on its RPG and Japan exclusive games
>>
>>340279301
Yeah.
The PS2 gets shit on for its multiplat performance a lot but if you ask me it really doesn't matter because if you took all the multiplats away, you'd still have a lot of good eastern games to go through without fear of running out.
>>
PS2 >>>>>>>>>> PS1 > PS3 > PS4
>>
>>340279518
Too bad those eastern games will keep piling up, Sony can't stop their "Cinematic" cuckery. The Vita may be "dead" but it sure as shit reminds of a good hidden gem machine that was like the PS2 library.
>>
>>340280129
Both the Vita and the PSP are underrated
>>
ABAP
>>
File: Screenshot_20160607-073145.jpg (93 KB, 366x403) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160607-073145.jpg
93 KB, 366x403
MEGA MAN!
MEGA MAN!
>>
>>340280819
epic
>>
>>340280819
Was ego right all along?
>>
File: mauimallardpc.jpg (165 KB, 1023x913) Image search: [Google]
mauimallardpc.jpg
165 KB, 1023x913
>>340277748
>best Disney game
that was on Mega Drive and PC, you plebeian
>>
>>340277078

You have a very good point. The games people remember best about PS1 are worse than people give credit for.
>>
>>340281124
The Mega Man sequilitus is the most accurate video he's ever made
>>
>>340277078
All video games are bad, this is not news please kys.
>>
File: 1304376955947.png (457 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1304376955947.png
457 KB, 600x450
>>340277078
This entire thread is just further proof why /v/ is worse than Reddit in every single way.
>>
File: 1402929817235.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1402929817235.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>340277078
This board is so shit it's just underage idiots whining about graphics and framerate all fucking day.

I don't even know why I come here.
>>
>>340277078
Think of it relative to the competition though. N64 had two amazing titles and a handful of just good ones while the PS1 had a lot of worthwhile titles in comparison.

Console wars are about relativity for their respective gen. PS1 obviously didn't have shit on SNES or PS2 or even any Nintendo handheld
>>
File: Truth.jpg (1 MB, 1399x1600) Image search: [Google]
Truth.jpg
1 MB, 1399x1600
>>340281589
>>340277078
>>
I remember as a kid talking to some of my peers about how I thought PS1 games would look a lot better if they utilized 2D character art (I didn't know they were sprites at the time), but 3D was definitely the cool thing. And it was new, so yeah, at the time it was pretty cool.

But the games that are most playable for me today from that generation utilized some combination of pre-rendered backgrounds and sprites.
>>
>>340282082
You should play Saturn games then
>>
I've been trying to tell you kids this for years. The mid-90s was the beginning of the death of gaming because they started catering to people who didn't care for the actual games and liked cinematic and stylistic bullshit instead.

Congratulations, OP, you have now matured and have become an enlightened gamer. Join with me in promoting pre-1995 gaming as the only good gaming.
>>
>>340281824
>Two
I'd give it more than that but either way it has more a.azing titles than the PS1 does

Granted, the PS1 has a lot more good titles
>>
>>340282374
Gen 6 was ok, but for the most part you're right.
Gen 4 master race.
>>
>>340282124
I do! As should everyone else. I just assumed this was a PS1-centric topic.
>>
>>340281449
The amount of right in that video gave him confidence to make other sequelitises which either

A) Weren't as funny or
B) Weren't as accurate.

I get that he wanted to give ALTTP a fighting chance against OoT, but there's a reason it's in everyone over the age of 20's top 10 videogames of all time.

Once someone figures that reason out, please tell me. Is it meme culture?
>>
>>340282124
>>340282610
>tfw I want to take full advantage of the Saturn's library but I can't into moonrunes
>>
Playstation was always a shovelware station
>>
>>340282610
>>340282124

Give me some Saturn recs.
So far I'm just interested in the Panzer Dragoons, and maybe Radiant Silvergun.
>>
>>340282724
Radiant Silvergun
Shining Force III
Guardian Heroes
>>
>>340282698
That's a sad hedgehog
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.